• Breaking News

    Friday, July 24, 2020

    Home security: Best camera for window aiming at street?

    Home security: Best camera for window aiming at street?


    Best camera for window aiming at street?

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 04:12 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    My friend is wanting to know the best type of camera to record out her window into the street and record people. i have experience with blink mini cameras which pick up cars but not people. the blink main cameras dont pick up people through glass as it targets body heat.

    Long story short my friend is a single mother but has a very aggressive woman with mental health issues who will knock and bang on her window and door at any time. so anything like blink cameras outside on the wall or ring doorbell could potentially be damaged by her actions.

    what is the best type of camera to be in her sitting room literally looking out the window (where her front door is)

    Any advice appreciated as the police have said she needs video records rather than just testaments. thansk

    submitted by /u/daveroo
    [link] [comments]

    Is a camera with audio worth it?

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 11:54 AM PDT

    Hey guys. I've been researching cameras for my use case and thought for sure I had settled on some 5MP reolinks (rlc-520 and 522). Then I stumbled across Annke's 4k at a reasonable price and thought they may be a better fit for the front of the house. The main difference I'm stuck on is that the Annke has no sound, while the reolinks do. Is the upgrade to the Annke 4k's worth losing the audio? I would have to think the reolink microphones aren't anything ridiculously high in quality and would be fairly useless should something actually happen (like someone kicking in my front door -- who really cares that I hear them kick it in when I have the actual activity on video? I probably don't want to hear their grunts anyway).

    Anyone recommend keeping the reolinks for the microphone vs upgrading to the Annke 4k's without? Personal situations where the recording came in use or something.

    Also welcoming any horror stories about the Annke's and why I shouldn't purchase them over the reolink rlc-520 or 522.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/idleminer100
    [link] [comments]

    Nest alternatives

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 08:40 PM PDT

    I have an old drop cam at my shop and a nest cam at home. one of the subscriptions just got canceled for some reason I've yet to understand and with no warnings. I've also been avoiding the migration to google, but haven't looked into it much.

    I'm looking into other options before re-subscribing. What I need is very little latency. I use it at my shop to know when my customers arrive, so would have to be equal to nest in that regard. I also want 24/7 recording. Since my cameras are earlier generations a picture quality upgrade would also be welcome.

    I'm open to options that are beyond plug and play.

    submitted by /u/AndrewWDobson
    [link] [comments]

    Do some of the cheaper surveillance cameras suffer from server side congestion?

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 03:05 PM PDT

    Like Yi, Wyze, Wansview, etc. Since video goes to server then to end user I assume that's a bunch of bandwidth to handle. Don't want to automatically assume its my network.

    submitted by /u/vampirepomeranian
    [link] [comments]

    Using an 8 Camera POE system and question on POE switch(s)

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 01:44 PM PDT

    I have this security system that came with my house when I bought it. It's pretty spotty and the previous owner definitely installed it himself.

    Few pieces of info:

    • I am running 7 cameras all exterior w/ the supplied cables.
    • The owner left behind 3 switches which leads me to believe he had the same issues (it was a sale due to divorce and he was unwilling to help me with the system)
    • The cameras work most the time, but the video is usually pretty spotty (not black out, just picture freezes for 1-5 seconds then starts again)
    • The POE switch and 7 cables were in the attic above my garage which is HOT. Today I moved everything down into the garage which shouldn't get over 100 degrees on the worst day.

    Right now, I'm using this POE switch that runs through a single ethernet cable to my NVR. I have a feeling the switch is the issue. I have two of them same model number, but look very different as seen in the pictures.

    POE Switch 2 works the best, but sometimes loses power.

    POE Switch 1's ports stop lighting up as soon as I plug in more than 3 cameras. It is brand new/in original packaging, so I was hoping it would work better.

    I'm a bit unsure on what to look for as a better replacement. I know I need 8 ports in if I want to use all 8 cameras, but do I need a POE switch with an "out"?

    I should be using "UP LINK" port to send the video to the NVR, correct? If so, that should answer my question on the "out" port.

    Thanks for any assistance, I'm doing my best to google answers, but this is a bit over my head.

    EDIT: this is also the manual for the system

    submitted by /u/3under3twenty20
    [link] [comments]

    Honeywell Alarm Panel not working

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 01:27 PM PDT

    Hi there,

    I recently tried to add another code to my alarm by pressing "master code" + 8 + 03 + "new code" so trying to add the 3rd code and once I did that my system went notes. Lots of numbers flashing and beeping and once that stopped and me troubleshooting all the things Ackerman told me to do, it is now stuck saying 09 check. According to the document the installer left me zone 9 is the "sounder" zone. Not sure what that means and can't find anything to help. It also won't let me reset or bypass that zone. Pretty much nothing works on it now. PLEASE HELP!! I'm not exactly sure my system but I think its a Vista20P.

    submitted by /u/melissabwest
    [link] [comments]

    DSC System Arming Struggles - Out of Ideas

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 08:21 AM PDT

    Ok, so I recently got a Safe by Hub6 and also am currently self-monitored. Now the only problem is that my DSC system refuses to arm into stay mode. When I click the stay mode button, it will arm into away mode. I also tried unplugging the Safe then tried arming, that also didn't work. Does anyone have ideas?.

    submitted by /u/jacobpantuso
    [link] [comments]

    Fireproofing documents

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 07:06 AM PDT

    Does anybody know a proven, affordable solution for fireproofing large documents (A3 / ANSI B / ledger / tabloid size)? I can't afford a large fireproof safe and I've only found A4 / letter sized fibreglass bags.

    submitted by /u/KaosEinnor
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone confirm the Amcrest AD110 can use RTSP?

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 06:17 AM PDT

    I'm getting a lot of conflicting information on this. I've called Amcrest support a few times and they are telling me it doesn't use RTSP.

    But on their own forums, the Blue Iris setup uses RTSP. I've also seen a number of videos that indicate it does use RTSP.

    Basically I want to be sure so if I set it up, I can view and record the live stream with an NVR like ZoneMinder. I may set it up to work with their app, but I'm more likely going to VLAN jail everything including the cameras, so that probably won't work. I've read this doorbell tries to get out to AWS for firmware updates and other things.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/TheOneBlackMage
    [link] [comments]

    Integrating DSC hardware into another platform?

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 09:33 AM PDT

    So our new (to us) house has an old DSC alarm system (18 y/o) with sensors on all windows (awesome) but it was disconnected when we moved in. I'm assuming something's wrong, it wasn't stated working. Whatever, I could get it going.

    Say I get it working. Can I use this hardware to work with a more modern internet connected smart home type alarm system? Ideally with no monthly fees, standalone.

    Blank canvas other than complete Ubiquiti network ready to be put to use.

    I'm just not a fan of traditional security systems. Sure it goes off, makes noise, but no alert to my phone, no cops show up in time, just useless other than a big door buzzer.

    submitted by /u/hanoodlee
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for camera for long driveway

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 06:22 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I'm looking for a camera to aim at my farm gate, the gate is about 100m (328 feet) away from the house. The unit I was looking at getting was the Ubiquiti G4 Pro, but reading has me believing that I need to buy their Cloud Key to get the software? I have an Unraid NAS that has 20+TB so that's something I'd love to avoid.

    TL;DR: I'm looking for something that can run on Unraid, has a decent longer range camera with the ability to add more normal cameras laters.

    submitted by /u/Verethy
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment