• Breaking News

    Sunday, July 5, 2020

    Home Improvement: We painted pride stairs while re-finishing our deck in honour of Pride Month!

    Home Improvement: We painted pride stairs while re-finishing our deck in honour of Pride Month!


    We painted pride stairs while re-finishing our deck in honour of Pride Month!

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 09:22 AM PDT

    We decided to refinish our deck and since it's June (pride month), we painted Pride Steps! The process took us 3 days in total. The product we used for the deck was Behr Semi-Transparent Deck Stain in Padre Brown. For the railings and posts, we used Behr Solid Deck Stain in Padre Brown and for the pickets, we used Behr Solid Deck Stain in White. The stain was about $60/gallon, and we were able to buy little $5 tester cans for the colour on the stairs.

    All in all the project cost about $400 and three days and we couldn't be happier with the results.

    Here is the link to the pictures. Happy pride everyone!

    submitted by /u/San_Cannabis
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to un-“Olive Garden” my kitchen

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 02:18 PM PDT

    The kitchen in the home I just bought has a...questionable finish on the walls. It seems to be a combination of false brick wall tile and plaster embedded with cheesecloth to creat a stucco/Mediterranean look. I hate it. I'm planning to just do subway tile backsplash under the cabinets, right over top of the "brick", and would love to paint the rest walls but have no idea how to go about that. Do I try to scrape this stuff off? Spread a smooth layer of more plaster then paint that? Totally stumped.

    detail of wall

    wall that needs to be painted

    submitted by /u/Sir_Xtoff
    [link] [comments]

    my dryer shuts off after running for few minutes, i checked the duct pipe and started cleaning it, found this makeshift ball in the pipe. Do i put it back?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 06:15 AM PDT

    so this seems bizarre, there is a plastic filled with newspaper stuck in my duct pipe, seems intentional to me, maybe previous tenants did it. should I put it back?

    The ball and the pipe: https://imgur.com/a/B2X4xXM

    submitted by /u/Dexteroid
    [link] [comments]

    Remodel order of operations

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 06:55 PM PDT

    I am working on remodeling part of our home which needs cabinets, paint, wall tile (shower), and baseboards. What order should I do these things in?

    Thanks so much for your help!

    submitted by /u/k1rkman
    [link] [comments]

    Wrought gate was misaligned at the hinge. I can't get it back. Please advise.

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 04:17 PM PDT

    The delivery person used a brick to keep the gate open. He forgot to put the brick back and closed the gate. The bottom hinge is misaligned. The gate lock guard is about ~1/8 or more to far over. I tried a sledge (with a piece of wood to protect the metal) and a crowbar but no luck. I think my only choice is to file it down or used some type of power hacksaw type device. The gate is old so I probably don't want to push my luck with it. The door lock picture is not a good angle. It is about 1/8 inch over. Thanks. I also showed the top hinge. https://imgur.com/a/b6ZukNY

    submitted by /u/yellowsubmarine2016
    [link] [comments]

    AC not keeping up.

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 03:26 PM PDT

    I live in a rental home, so not much I can do, but wondering any advice.

    With the AC set at 70, it's currently 93 outside and the AC can only keep the house down to 76.

    So I did some checking, the ac coil inside isn't frozen, the filter is clear.

    Duct temperature was measured at 60 degrees.

    I bought a non-contact IR thermometer and measured the metal vent fan in the bathroom at 112 degrees, and even the ceiling fan is 96 degrees!

    The attic door is 107 degrees!

    This house was built in 70...but I am wondering if there is no attic insulation?

    Would I be better off putting an AC window unit in the bedroom and keeping the rest of the house set higher?

    submitted by /u/_Raspootin_
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone repaired/replaced parging on their house recently?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 04:21 PM PDT

    Just curious how you went about it. Seems there are lots of products out now. That engineered faux stone looks good too. I just don't know if it would look good with my light blue vinyl siding.

    submitted by /u/endlessloads
    [link] [comments]

    Need to make steps from back door to porch safer for 3 year old- any advice or ideas?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 07:22 PM PDT

    Hello!

    I recently bought my first home! Woohoo!

    We are so excited. First thing I want to do is child proof the home for our two year old daughter.

    I need ideas on how to make the steps from our back door to our porch safer for a two year old. She can use steps but needs a handrail and I am already thinking that. The wood fencing to the left near the end of the stairs seems pretty old and I am concerned about splinters. Most importantly, I can just see her flying down the steps. We will most often use a gate- but we also want her to be comfortable and safe walking up and down.

    Any ideas really appreciated!!

    picture

    EDIT: she is two. Not three as I misstated in title.

    submitted by /u/HamNCheese4Ever
    [link] [comments]

    Installed New Slab Doors, two feel like the are Sprung When Closing

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 03:55 PM PDT

    Not sure if anyone knows what is going on here. I tried Googling and seem to come to the conclusion the frame is slightly twisted or something isn't square.

    I just changed out all my interior hollow core doors for solid slab shaker doors (15 total). One two of them, they work almost perfect except when you go to close them, the last one inch of closing feels like a spring is pulling it open slightly.

    I have tried shimming the hinges, adjusting the hinges (opening and closing them to adjust gap) with no luck. I have also tried adjusting the door frame, no luck. Anyone know the proper solution?

    Appreciate any help :)

    submitted by /u/doggsofdoom
    [link] [comments]

    Water pressure went from a weak hardly 39psi to a nice strong flow without me doing anything: is this a concern?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 11:40 AM PDT

    My water pressure was just barely enough to pass the home inspection. It sucks, but after asking a plumber to turn it up and having him tell me I would need to replace all the plumbing from the street to my house, I just lived with it. I have now had the house for a year.

    This morning I wake up and my wife asked me what I did, because the water pressure is all of a sudden perfect. I did nothing. I went down to the street and look at the main box and everything looks normal. Is this a concern?

    submitted by /u/alwhitewater
    [link] [comments]

    What is causing this to my facia and siding?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 04:37 PM PDT

    First time homeowner. These may be totally separate issues, but not sure.

    What is causing the rot (?) of the fascia? I don't have gutters, but think I'll put them on when I replace the fascia. I'm not sure if it's just because it's a 38 year old house or if it's insects?

    What is causing the rot (?) of the siding?

    Thanks!

    Photos

    submitted by /u/ArkansasBoater
    [link] [comments]

    Should I put washers on my studless tv mount?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 06:59 PM PDT

    Pictures here. The mount feels firm and I do need an additional 10 nails on the top half of the tv mount, but I want to make sure I don't need to add washers before doing so.

    Thank you for your help.

    submitted by /u/lexiconpsu
    [link] [comments]

    Products to keep pollen/dust out of a screened in porch

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 06:58 PM PDT

    Anyone have any luck with pollen mitigating products? I found this one called pollentec but limited reviews around here. Anyone have any luck with any other products? I have fairly bad allergies and hate keeping up with cleaning my screened in porch.

    submitted by /u/williamiger
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to use drill bits in my Dewalt cordless drill and chuck keeps spinning when encountering resistance

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 06:56 PM PDT

    Am I doing something wrong or do I need to buy bits that have hex ends?

    submitted by /u/karpomalice
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any way to reinforce this roof enough to remove the "temporary" brace?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 07:42 AM PDT

    Here's what it looks like.

    This is the loft over a garage. The house is from the 1920s, and the "carriage house" is likely about as old, though it may be as new as the 1950s, with a ground floor footprint of about 20x24. It's old enough that the lumber doesn't use modern dimensions, and you can see generations of "handy man" work to keep it in place.

    Above the middle ceiling is a flat roof. There are no metal joint braces or anything. The floor below (above the "garage") is absurdly stable. Basically 4x6 joists on about 8" centers. No rot, no pests, and massive overkill in terms of bracing below.

    While the floor below is extremely solid, the roof doesn't appear nearly as sound, as evidenced by that janky brace running the length of it.

    Is there any structurally reasonable way to shore up this roof without complete reconstruction while removing the mid-room pillars?

    This is in the temperate Pacific Northwest, where standing snow on roofs is fairly uncommon. It's stood for generations with this this ad hoc fix, but it obviously could be be a lot better.

    The pillars you see do not correspond to any load-bearing structure in the garage below, which is why I assume they used the wide 2x4 footers to spread the weight.

    Is there any hope of removing these pillars?

    submitted by /u/tzoggs
    [link] [comments]

    Advice Needed - Shower Niche slopes away, not towards the shower. Can this be fixed with minimal demo'ing?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 08:41 PM PDT

    I'm hoping that we can fix this without removing any additional tile, but it seems unlikely. how would i correct the slope..could i water proof it w/ some sort of layer, then slather cement on it and build a correct;y angled surface to then apply my tile? That doesn't sound right.. but i have no experience wood working to create a sloped piece to correct the angle without cement. I'm stuck.

    Shower Niche in question, top layer of tile was removed. Any soaked in water has since aired out and dried.

    https://imgur.com/a/nxHegL5

    Possible wood piece to fix angle, but no clue how to manufacture

    https://imgur.com/a/qhwJVqb

    submitted by /u/Franklo
    [link] [comments]

    Bluetooth outdoor speakers

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 01:48 PM PDT

    I'm tired of listening to my neighbours terrible music choices, I want my own outdoor Bluetooth speakers. Any recommendations for inexpensive ones? How do they install, just wire into 120v somewhere? Or plug into the outdoor outlet?

    Edit: I'm looking for something where I go out, sit down, decide I want audio on the patio, connect via Bluetooth, and play whatever I want from my phone. Its a permanent install.

    submitted by /u/y2imm
    [link] [comments]

    What professionals should I hire for a master bath remodel?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 11:28 AM PDT

    Hey! I am in the process of updating and furnishing a home my fiance and I have been in for about 2 years. We are slowly updating things as we can afford it and as we have time. One of our biggest projects is redoing the master bathroom. We want to completely gut that room. I know we will need a contractor for that, but I am a little confused about how the design part of the job works. I love storage space and organization and want the room (which will include 2 large closets) and all built-in storage be very well-planned. I really want someone who can help us come up with unique and visually pleasing structural storage solutions that fit our specific needs. I will also need someone to help me choose materials because if we are going to spend the money, I want it all to be coordinated well and look really good. I am assuming the person who could help me with any design aspects would be an interior designer, but I am not sure, so correct me if I'm wrong. So, my question is, do I hire a contractor AND an interior designer? Do contractors typically have interior designers that they work with or vice versa? Is this going to cost me an arm and a leg? Those of you who have been in my position before, let me know who I should be looking to hire and if hiring both professionals is going overboard. Thanks so much!

    submitted by /u/mms0727
    [link] [comments]

    Working on replacing the carpet in my daughters room with flooring and came across a crack in the foundation. Need some opinions

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 05:28 PM PDT

    I am not sure if I should be concerned and have someone look at it or just put new flooring over it. here are a few pics

    submitted by /u/Tekkenmonster36
    [link] [comments]

    How to cut a post or make this plumb again?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 07:08 PM PDT

    I am building a fence and this is the last corner post. The right post is the neighbors post that was put in way off plumb and can't be fixed. The one on the left is my post which is plumb.

    The space is what I have to fill. I was thinking of cutting a pressure treated post like a triangle/wedge to slide in there, but have no clue how to calculate this or setup on the table saw to cut properly.. how would you properly fill this space??

    https://i.imgur.com/OyRtGne.jpg

    submitted by /u/superhappyfuntime99
    [link] [comments]

    Deck prices in GA??

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 06:57 PM PDT

    Looking to get an elevated deck built. About 440 sq feet with stairs going down about 10 feet off the ground or so. What is a reasonable estimate for this in season and out of season?

    submitted by /u/marlowefire
    [link] [comments]

    Is there an easy fix for carpeted stairs that creak??

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 03:02 AM PDT

    So we've been in our new house about 1+ year and it's great. Did some projects and got some others going and overall it's been a great experience. However, as the title alludes to, the stairs from the first floor to the second floor are very loudly creaky. Like wake up the baby loud. They are also carpeted and that carpet is stapled or nailed down or something.

    My question then is, what are some possible remedies to the creakiness that don't involve pulling up the carpet? I've considered just driving nails through the carpet but that seems dumb and wildly inaccurate because I don't know where the stringers are. Side note, the underside of those stairs is the ceiling of the stairs going to the basement but it is drywalled.

    Ideas? Hints?

    submitted by /u/DrAxemann
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to remove a piece of the countertop at the seam?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 10:04 AM PDT

    We currently only have a cooktop but we want a range with an oven. Our contractor told us we would need to get an entire new countertop (and new sink and faucet) because they can't just remove a piece of the countertop to make room for the range and we can't reuse our current countertop. They said they'd have to bring the entire countertop to their workshop to make any modifications to it, and it will probably get damaged during removal or modification. Is that true? I really don't want a new countertop since ours is only 2 years old and there's nothing wrong with it. Plus it's so expensive. If we get a new countertop, I don't understand why we can't use our existing sink and faucet (both are new). What options do I have? I'm in Ontario, Canada.

    pics here, please excuse the mess as I just snapped this pic in the middle of cleaning

    submitted by /u/lysogenic
    [link] [comments]

    Shower remodel Question: waterproof board over foam insulation?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 12:47 PM PDT

    Finishing up wall demo on a fiber tub/shower to walk-in shower remodel. My house is poured concrete and has this foam insulation on the inside of the exterior walls with no studs. My plan was to kerdi-board this shower but not sure how to safely install it over this foam. My current plan is screwing in/gluing plywood to the foam and then attaching kerdi-board with screws/kerdi fix to that. I'm slightly worried it might all come break apart and come crashing down. Any suggestions?

    Here's the pic

    submitted by /u/bortodeeto
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment