• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 16, 2020

    Home security: Seeking your advice for physical security/reinforcement of front door in a condo (limited renovation allowed)

    Home security: Seeking your advice for physical security/reinforcement of front door in a condo (limited renovation allowed)


    Seeking your advice for physical security/reinforcement of front door in a condo (limited renovation allowed)

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 11:59 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, I am requesting your help in reinforcing my front entry door in my condo. As it is the sole entry point to my home, I wanted to triple check that my security is up to date with it. I currently have a single lock on it (the standard condo lock), and the lock unlocks when you pull the inside door handle. This, along with the fact that the door itself can be pushed open (without using the handle) when unlocked (i.e. I have to actually hold the door handle when putting my key in to lock up from outside because the force will just open the door) have made me a little nervous about security.

    I researched quite a bit and purchased a Defender deadbolt (on the way) thatt attaches to the door frame and adds protection from the inside. Additionally, I am very close to purchasing the Door Amor Max kit - if folks here recommend it.

    I would ideally like to just install a brand new lock altogether, but our condo has a relationship with a locksmith and we are limited to using a particular lock. In addition, I can't realistically make any major renovations to the door itself.

    Asides from the Defender deadbolt and the Door Armor Max (if you recommend it), I was hoping to get one last security device for the door. I thought about a floor mounted door jam, but I'm not sure I want to drill through my floor. Additionally, I would like to have an additional source of security that can lock up from outside. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not satisfied with the standard lock on my door, and purchasing a lot of internal security won't help protect my place when I'm out.

    Are there any such devices that you could recommend? I understand that realistically such a device would require WiFi connectivity, but I do have concerns about that. I'm not paranoid about hackers or anything - I'm mostly concerned about getting locked out due to classic technology problems or app issues with a smart lock.

    I very much appreciate your expertise and suggestions. Thank you kindly!

    submitted by /u/PoGoNoob123
    [link] [comments]

    Phone and PC software for PoE IP camera system

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 12:37 PM PDT

    Hi. I installed few PoE Dahua and Amcrest cameras on my house. I got them connected through a poe switch and managed switch to a computer. I was going to buy Blue Iris but I want something that would work on android phone as well. Is there any software that works on both PC and android phone? I want to be able to view and manage recordings though my phone, as well as receive motion notifications. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/magnumpl
    [link] [comments]

    Honest thoughts on the HemiVision HM241? And a few questions on home security cameras

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 09:10 PM PDT

    Hey all, I'm new to this sub and I'm really appreciative of the wealth of knowledge here.

    I'm looking for a basic home security camera system (4 cameras) and I've browsed countless posts on this sub on the topic. Our house is in a fairly safe neighborhood and I'm not too concerned with crime happening, so I'm not looking for an incredibly expensive system to be entirely honest. I've narrowed my choices down to two solutions:

    I'm hesitant to use Wyze cameras simply because they only record to SD cards that will eventually fail. Running the numbers, 4 Wyze cams + 4 Wyze cam outdoor housing units + 4 64 GB SD cards will cost me about the same as the HM241.

    The HM241 seems to be well received based on the reviews I've seen so far. I'm wondering if anyone on this sub owns this system (or something similar from HemiVision) and if they can give me their honest opinions on it. I'm also open to any suggestions anyone has on a similarly priced system!

    I have a few other questions regarding similar outdoor cameras -

    • Coming from the PC world, I'm considering what HDD to use. WD Purples or Seagate Constellations seem to be a great option. I'm confused as to how much I should purchase if I aim to continuously record 4 cameras for ~7 days storage. The HM241 are 2mp 1080p 25 FPS cameras, but I can't find their bitrate anywhere. Would a single 4 TB HDD be enough? Is running 2 HDDs in RAID 1 to protect the system in case of an HDD failure common?

    • I mentioned above that I aim to continuously record 4 cameras for 7 days. Is that a reasonable thing to consider given my budget? Or would you recommend I record only when movement is detected?

    • Do most users record in black and white at a reduced FPS or at full 1080p, 25 FPS color? I'm imagining the footage extracted from lowergrade footage (such as B/W 5 FPS as I've seen suggested on Reddit before) would only diminish the point of having a camera.

    • Finally, this is a minor consideration, but we have motion detection lights installed in the outside of our house. Would motion detection lights conflict with the IR night vision?

    Thanks in advance for your help!

    submitted by /u/TheGhostOfBobStoops
    [link] [comments]

    Inferno Siren

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 10:22 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment