• Breaking News

    Thursday, June 4, 2020

    Home security: Are Sharx security cameras worth the price?

    Home security: Are Sharx security cameras worth the price?


    Are Sharx security cameras worth the price?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 03:16 PM PDT

    I'm looking for a reliable outdoor setup.

    I'm located in the NE, so we get harsh winters, so needs to be well built for outdoors.

    I go away for about 4-5 months of the year, so I want to be able to have very clear recording of my property and to have eyes on it whenever needed.

    I was thinking of doing this setup here

    https://www.sharxsecurity.com/product_HTNC5803M

    and getting one of these

    https://www.sharxsecurity.com/product_HTNR16621

    submitted by /u/IDidReadTheSideBar
    [link] [comments]

    Any way of detecting when internet is shut off?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 11:55 PM PDT

    Like the title says, is there any way to be notified, either by mail or SMS, when the internet is disconnected?

    Back story: we were burglarized just yesterday. The culprits cut the landline, from which our internet comes from, to prevent the security system to alert the alarm company.

    Anyone know of any kind of software that could help or some sort of DIY with a raspberry pi?

    submitted by /u/Wagging_Man_Tail
    [link] [comments]

    From a security standpoint, is it better to have French doors (one hinged, the other not) or sliding doors for patio doors?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 11:30 PM PDT

    Title pretty much says it. What's more secure? French doors or sliding patio doors? This is for the back door that goes to my deck.

    submitted by /u/ArmanJimmyJab
    [link] [comments]

    Affordable outdoor camera

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 05:51 PM PDT

    Hello, I just found this sub and figured this would hopefully be a good place to ask about this. Basically, our neighbor has dogs that he often lets off their leash, and they tend to come into our yard due to the lack of a fence. We have told him about this numerous times, but nothing changes. Recently, we would leave out trash on the side of the road for pickup, and the next morning we would find some of the trash out of the can, torn up and strewn around the front yard, forcing us to pick everything up before the collection. We want a camera to put outside on a tree, in order to patrol that particular area. Something that has enough of a range to connect to the wifi, and relatively affordable (> $100).

    submitted by /u/PuffballDestroyer
    [link] [comments]

    Home Security for an Apt- Suggesion?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 11:30 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I am a professional housing staff member for a medium-sized state university in the eastern part of the US. As such, I am afforded a private apartment that is my primary residence. The apartment is 2 bedroom, 2 bath, with 3 entry doors. The apartment is located inside a residence hall housing approximately 300+ college students. 2 of the entry doors open into the lobby/hallway areas of the residence hall, and 1 opens to the exterior of the building (my primary door). I also have an 80lb dog inside.

    Recently, as in the past year, there have been several instances of maintenance personnel entering my apartment without prior consent. These have not been emergency-related conditions, simply them wanting to check something or responding to a request for a work-order (they are not supposed to simply enter staff apartments- they are required to make an appointment first, for anything other than an absolute emergency such as fire, police, etc.) Frankly, I am tired of it. Discussions with my supervisor have not corrected the issue. I am concerned someone will open my door (maintenance, fellow staff members, etc. all carry master keys that could do so) and my dog could get out, along with standard fears over theft, privacy, etc. I am therefore considering a security system.

    What I need:

    1. A very loud siren
    2. Some way of interacting with the system when I am away (app to check video, etc.)
    3. Camera to monitor my dog, etc.
      1. Bonus ability to store some footage might be useful, perhaps a week or so
    4. Door sensor to detect if someone opens one of my doors
    5. Arm and disarm at will (keyfob, app, something)
    6. Ability to purchase other sensors to add in the future (smoke, glass breakage, etc.) so it can grow with me
    7. Motion sensor would be a bonus, but I don't want my dog triggering it
    8. Alexa-enabled would be a bonus

    What I do not need:

    1. Wi-Fi is fine, but due to the secure campus network I can only install something on wi-fi if I can get its MAC address
    2. Expensive monitoring ($15 or less is possible if it adds a lot)
    3. The ability to dispatch police, etc. if an alarm hits
      1. My office is nearby, and I am rarely away from my apartment for more than a day or so
    4. Child-proofing
    5. Anything that requires drills, etc. to install
    6. Anything that relies on a landline

    I have been considering SimpliSafe. Any reviews or suggestions would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Mawatts25
    [link] [comments]

    some cool sites to see how safe you are

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 08:25 AM PDT

    hey everyone, there's a lot of bs out there that cost a shit ton and do terrible jobs of telling you how safe you are. here, i will give you some of my favorite security check.

    so, i'll just list them out here

    1. CityProtect

    2. NeighborhoodScout

    3. FamilyWatchdog

    4. Nextdoor

    5. SpotCrime

    6. Moving's City Profile Reports

    7. CrimeMapping

    that's it, if you want to have quick summaries and links to those tools, here's the source: https://www.defiel.com/how-safe-is-your-neighborhood/

    thank you and warmest regards

    submitted by /u/Defiel1
    [link] [comments]

    Any downsides to Eufy doorbell battery powered?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 02:53 PM PDT

    I am talking about this one. I want a simple doorbell cam that shows me who's at my door and the potential to record and save past clips (say a robber walks to my door at 12:05 and I don't see it until 1:30 I can go back and save the recording). Is this doorbell cam capable of it?

    Any downsides? I don't have an existing wired set up and love the non subscription fee

    submitted by /u/CockyNurse
    [link] [comments]

    How much security cam use data

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 12:48 PM PDT

    I want to get wifi security cam on my land, i can get 30gb month net.

    But, will this be enought for recording to sd card and live viewing from home?

    submitted by /u/fostes1
    [link] [comments]

    Wifi camera

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 04:39 AM PDT

    Hello I have had people messing around with stuff and wanted to put a wifi camera up in at the front porch. I would like it to be able to send notification to my camera if it is activated. I don't want to pay a subscription for clouding if possible. I am on a budget and based in the UK. Had anyone got any recommendations.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/purplemerit
    [link] [comments]

    Help me place my final camera? Shitty MS Paint Included. Bonus round: favorite 4 cam setup under $500?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 11:52 AM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    I have recently experienced an uptick of casual crime. Mostly, my neighbors and I have had our vehicles broken into regularly and they have had things go missing from around the yard/car port. Luckily, I have a garage and locked shed so I haven't experienced the latter.

    In any event, I'm getting some security cameras. I've painted over a map to show my current set up.

    https://i.imgur.com/pSxYdig.png

    Camera 1 is positioned to watch the rear deck. It's view covers all rear entrances and windows. It can't see around the house, and is in the roof of my deck. It's a 2nd story deck and the camera can see the stairs leading to the yard.

    Camera 2 is positioned to watch the approach to camera 3. I have encountered people walking through the lawn late at night (there's a sidewalk, so no reason) who are probably approaching from my top neighbor's car.

    Camera 3 is posted to watch the car in the driveway. It gets an exceptional view of the driver side of the vehicle and a good view of the passenger side.

    My last camera can go in positions a, b, c, or "other" if you have recommendations. Here's my reasoning.

    "a" is the front door. My front porch is recessed a little, so although anyone going onto the porch will be seen by two cameras, any activity that actually takes place on the porch is out of view.

    "b" covers the major blind spot, that is the top-side access to my back yard. It also covers the neighbor's driveway, so, hey bonus for him.

    "c" covers the back yard. I'm not particularly worried about this, because there is a near impossible wall of greenery back there along with a 7ft tall wood fence. Given that there is a side street 2 properties away, I have never had anyone trespass in my back yard. There are also "beware of dog" signs on my fence, and a big ole' dog in the back yard (dog door, she goes out any time she wants, and her favorite hobby is listening for people and then going outside to bark at them). This would mostly be so my SO can watch the dogs in the back yard.

    Which do you think is best? Or is there another option I'm not seeing? Cameras 2 and 3 are set in stone, they cannot move. Camera 1 can be relocated.


    Finally, I'm using Arlo Pro 2 cameras in wired mode, but feel that they're not exactly worth the cost. I can still return them and buy another set of cameras. For this situation, what camera would you recommend? Important features to me include the ability to set locations for motion detection, quality night vision, and free recording.

    submitted by /u/exie610
    [link] [comments]

    Question on replacing an NVR

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 08:08 AM PDT

    A client of mine has an 8 Ch POE style camera system, and the NVR unit went dead. We are wanting to know, is there an NVR system that can control 8 POE cameras and also 8 more WiFi IP cameras? If not is there an easy way to connect two NVR systems. We are also trying to integrate everything with Smartthings.

    Any help is appreciated!!

    submitted by /u/umphreakinbelievable
    [link] [comments]

    Camera for backyard

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 05:19 AM PDT

    Hi everyone. I am looking for suggestions on cheap cameras ($100) for my parents' backyard to monitor our dogs and our neighbor's interaction with them.

    My parents have a neighbor who is complaining about out dogs. He dislikes the dogs barking (who doesn't). He has not directly talked to us about it but he hints at it and complains to us about the dog on the other side of his house.

    We try to be diligent and they dont bark obsessively. They will bark in excitement at the kids who live behind us and if someone walks down the street. If they are barking we bring them inside.

    A couple of times when they were barking, we have found him standing near the corner of the yard just staring at them. Once he threatened my dog when he didn't realize someone could hear.

    Well we found out today that the neighbor had been going to other neighbors to complain. He even told the people behind us that our dogs were going to break the fence down and attack them (they are very friendly and they rarely jump- they're St. Bernards).

    Luckily, we're friendly with one of the neighbors he spoke to and they told us what he said. We have asked them several times to honestly tell us if our dogs are a problem and they have said no.

    Anyway, long story short, I want to put 2 cameras up in our backyard. I feel an official complaint will come and I want to have proof of how our dogs behave regularly. Additionally, I want a camera that I can focus on the fence line to keep track of his interactions with the dogs.

    If you have any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Bailey225
    [link] [comments]

    Current Nest user Looking to go to Dahua NVR system

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 08:35 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I currently have a nest outdoor camera and a nest doorbell. I really like them but they require constant internet and use up a decent amount of my upload bandwidth. I've been thinking of going to a local system with NVR. I really enjoy how great the person detection is with nest. I know that this feature is not readily available yet in the ip camera world. I did see that Dahua has NVR's with some AI built in for more accurate motion detection. I think this might work close enough to as well as the nest cameras.
    I wish reolink had the nvr detection capabilities like dahua but they are slightly behind.

    Anyway my questions are, is the mobile app notifications and scrubbing through video as reliable and smooth as say nest? I like to look through video and sometimes save video for timelapses.

    Should i just stick with nest for a few more years until ip camera systems catch up?

    submitted by /u/ivedecidedtokill
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment