• Breaking News

    Saturday, May 16, 2020

    Home security: Looking for outdoor wifi camera with sound activation (and decent night recording). Most seem to be motion only.

    Home security: Looking for outdoor wifi camera with sound activation (and decent night recording). Most seem to be motion only.


    Looking for outdoor wifi camera with sound activation (and decent night recording). Most seem to be motion only.

    Posted: 15 May 2020 05:32 PM PDT

    Hi all. We have some pets that are in a yard that is closer to the neighbours than it is to our house. Any loud noises they make at night that would signify either an emergency or them disturbing the neighbours we would like to be alerted to as it happens. Most cameras that have both alerting, night view and sound seem to be motion activated only. Would anyone have any recommendations or advice on where to start? - Thanks

    submitted by /u/the_last_fartbender
    [link] [comments]

    [QUESTION] Cloud IP Camera + Google Drive + Mobile phone

    Posted: 15 May 2020 10:36 PM PDT

    How can I set up my cloud IP camera (iLuv mySight) to archive automatically and also be able to monitor using my phone without paying monthly to the software that came with the camera?

    submitted by /u/bucymo
    [link] [comments]

    Alarm system for seasonal home with drastic temperature swings

    Posted: 15 May 2020 03:14 PM PDT

    Looking to alarm my summer house with a wireless DIY no monitoring plan alarm system. I already have Simplisafe in my main house, don't hate it but don't love it. I would not be signing up for a monitoring plan since the summer house is in a remote place....it would take the police 40 min to show up. I was about to get a Ring system when I noticed the operation temperature was 32 degrees F to 104 F. In the winter this house easily gets below 20 and in the summer when we aren't there and all the windows are closed it is certainly over 100 degrees. I'm assuming this is an issue for the batteries in the system, does anyone have some alternatives that would help me?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/strings-attached
    [link] [comments]

    PoE Camera setup / installation advice needed.

    Posted: 15 May 2020 02:26 PM PDT

    I am new to POE security cameras, and have a lot of questions about how to get them connected up in the most efficient, cost-effective way possible.

    The house that I recently purchased came with 8 network drops throughout the house. Most end up in bedrooms, but a few end up close to where I might want to put cameras. All the network cables terminate at the router / POE switch in my master closet, which is located almost the center of the house on the upper floor. I see where it is possible to use cameras attached to the switch along with cameras that are only attached to the NVR. If this is the case, can I somehow piggy back off the existing wiring in the house to get closer to where I want to put cameras??

    For example, I was thinking if I get a 4 port POE switch, I could plug it into an existing network drop on the first floor to avoid having to run separate wiring downstairs. On the other side of the wall from that network drop is the garage, so theoretically I could just go through the wall to run wires for cameras at the front of the garage.

    Additionally, I have not found any info on how to run wires from the outside to inside on a stucco house...so if anyone has more information about that, I would love to hear it. My main questions center on how would you install a camera on a flat 2 story wall in my entryway? Drill through the wall and hope you end up in the right room? ;). I'm assuming there's a much better way to do it, but I cannot find any good videos or advice out there.

    Sorry for the long post, hopefully, it makes sense. It certainly doesn't make much to me, which is why I'm asking you fine folks.

    submitted by /u/coloradoninja
    [link] [comments]

    Zoneminder Issues

    Posted: 15 May 2020 07:45 AM PDT

    I've been running Zoneminder for a few months. I have it installed on a VM under ESXi, with a shared network drive for events (2TB), and for the most part it's been running great. That is, until it fills up the root HDD. I have no idea why it keeps doing this. I've read that if the shared drive can't mount, it will default to the root drive, but FreeNAS has been running for years without a single issues and when checking, Ubuntu has no issues accessing the drive. Zoneminder won't start due to not having any space. If I increase the VM HDD size, it will start right up. I've read a few articles, but most say it's filling up under the "events" folder on the root drive and atleast for me that is not the case.

    I've also tried looking where all my space went, but I don't see anything that stands out. I've checked the zoneminder folders and there are no events. No space is being used for ZM from what I can tell but it's the only software I have running on the VM. Can anyone give me an idea of what may be happening or where to look? I've been using Linux for 10+ years, but only at the hobby level. I am by no means an expert. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Insanereindeer
    [link] [comments]

    Camera for monitoring me during the night

    Posted: 15 May 2020 05:06 PM PDT

    Yesterday was about the fourth time in about a year that I've woken up feeling like I've been punched somewhere - leg, shoulder or in two cases during lockdown, face - I've actually got a bruise this time.

    I live alone, cat sleeps / chills in his fortress of solitude in another part of the house. I have monitored home security but that's for the external, externally facing and some hall / corridor cameras. The hall area a little outside of my bedroom is monitored and I haven't been sleepwalking outside there, though other places I could possibly roam out from my bedroom is not monitored.

    I know that when I'm by myself I change sleeping positions frequently, and my suspicion is that maybe I'm rolling out of bed and getting back on autopilot, or possibly partially rolling out of bed in a way that my face impacts e.g. the bedside cabinet... or maybe I dunno, I'm headbanging the headboard.

    So I want to install an IR camera in my bedroom - ideally one that can work disconnected from the Internet, has scope for large SD card (or SATA / PCIe) storage and it + power supply is dead silent.

    Also helpful would be analysis software I can use to scrub through large swathes of footage and find relevant movement.

    Any recommendations?

    submitted by /u/pincushiondude
    [link] [comments]

    Which home alarm should i buy?

    Posted: 15 May 2020 08:05 AM PDT

    I have a Ring doorbell and it works great, but i want some kind of alarm for my front door. (i live in a condo) i don't want a subscription to a service that will notify the authorities. i just want a alarm i can set before i go to sleep to play a loud sound if the door is opened. any suggestions? i don't know where to begin to looks

    submitted by /u/ususrr
    [link] [comments]

    Dedicated IP Cameras

    Posted: 15 May 2020 10:38 AM PDT

    Are there any good home security ptz cameras with poe that are dedicated IP? No wifi, no login, none of that. I have Amcrest right now and I hate all the hoops I have to jump through, not to mention a few other things. I just want to record to disk on my server and be able to set up an iframe in my home assistant instance for remote viewing.

    submitted by /u/BMXnotFIX
    [link] [comments]

    Security Cameras - Are they better as an independent system or included as part of a monitored full security package?

    Posted: 15 May 2020 12:41 PM PDT

    Hey Y'all,

    I've been researching security systems for my home for some time now, but all the various options end up a bit overwhelming.

    I know I want to include some exterior security cameras overall, but I'm trying to work through two options

    1) an independent system of cameras (Arlo or Eufy are the ones I'm most looking into) paired with a simpler monitored security system for the doors, windows, alarm, etc (SimpliSafe, cove, abode, etc)

    2) a full-package monitored system with in-house exterior cameras, like ADT or Vivint. I've noticed there are only a few monitored systems that offer their own exterior cameras.

    I'm leaning toward option 1, as I've read a lot of people having so much heartache with with big "name brand" companies, and it looks like the independent cameras generally offer better quality for the price.

    Is there any real benefit to having the cameras part of the monitored system like they claim, or will I be better off with the increased freedom and flexibility by going separate?

    Just wanted to get some thoughts from those who are more experienced. Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/trademarkTM
    [link] [comments]

    Your opinion on Ring Floodlight Camera Motion-Activated HD Security Cam Two-Way Talk and Siren Alarm?

    Posted: 15 May 2020 04:59 AM PDT

    According to Amazon, Ring Floodlight Camera Motion-Activated HD Security Cam Two-Way Talk and Siren Alarm, Black, Works with Alexa is 20% off. Is this a good security cam? Please share your opinion.

    submitted by /u/zezefree
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment