• Breaking News

    Friday, May 15, 2020

    Home Improvement: Can someone explain different types of paints? Latex, acrylic, enamel, lacquer and any other different kinds.

    Home Improvement: Can someone explain different types of paints? Latex, acrylic, enamel, lacquer and any other different kinds.


    Can someone explain different types of paints? Latex, acrylic, enamel, lacquer and any other different kinds.

    Posted: 15 May 2020 07:32 PM PDT

    I want to refinish some built in cabinets. They are stained and built in the 80s but still look sturdy. They're just kind of dingy. I'd like to paint them white.. what kind of primer and finish paint should I use? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/dmedina723
    [link] [comments]

    landscapers keep damaging my low voltage wiring

    Posted: 15 May 2020 06:00 AM PDT

    I moved into a house last year. I hired a landscaper to mow my lawn. Along my driveway I have about 10 low voltage lamps. Last year, the landscaper I had was very sloppy and cracked one of them. The landscaper manager said that he doesn't think his guys did it and I didn't press the issue. I bought a new one to replace it. I fired the landscaper at the end of last season and hired new landscapers this season. The guys are nice and more attentive and cheaper than what I was paying previously, but they nicked one of the wires with the weed wacker. Now that light won't turn on. I can see the wire sheathing which means they got too close with the weed wacker. I don't want to keep getting into issues with the landscaper. If I were to wrap the exposed wiring with electrical tape, would that help prevent the wire from getting nicked in the future? I would wrap the wiring on all 10 of them to try and protect them.

    Just an FYI, the wire that is getting nicked is the wire going to the actual lamp/light fixture and not the heavier guage low voltage wiring which is mostly buried under the ground. The guys are hitting the actual lamp as they wack the grass and are so close that they hit the wire connected to the lamp. There is no way I can bury that part under the ground.

    submitted by /u/obeythelaw2020
    [link] [comments]

    Lower Budget Gravel Patio

    Posted: 15 May 2020 11:37 AM PDT

    I did this project over about 6 weeks, its not an amazing patio and I know we're going to do some more with it (more step stones, more furniture) just not within the next few months. Here's my whole process I went through with leveling the ground and laying the gravel.

    Pictures of Process

    submitted by /u/DessieDearest
    [link] [comments]

    Improving A-frame loft area excessive heat issue during day

    Posted: 15 May 2020 04:35 PM PDT

    I moved into an A-frame house, that I own, last fall. I'm in NY. It's got a 2nd floor loft that is open to the main floor, traditional A-frame roof line, and no attic of course. Winter was reasonable, and I ran a wood-stove. Generally heat rises and upstairs was nice and warm where the beds are, now downstairs sometimes cooler. It's got central heating+AC via some ductwork also. The walls are all tongue-grove panels so running ductwork is challenging to hide in this place. A few ducts make it upstairs though.

    Now it's almost summer, and the situation seems much worse. The upstairs loft is excessively hot during the day, and influenced most by direct sunlight. At peak midday, it was about 75 downstairs and 88 upstairs. I tried to slow the rise of the temperature up their today by doing various things, over the past week:

    • Preemptively running the central AC since morning to keep the temperature low instead of trying to bring it down too late
    • Running the two large ceiling fans mounted high on the ceilings, which do circulate a decent amount of air
    • Running the central air on "fan" much of the day to circulate air. Doesn't really help.
    • Using a window mounted fan on 2x high, attempting to blow hot air out, or cool air in while it was still cool outside. Blowing hot air out has never worked. Cool air inward only helps if it is < 65 outside.
    • Placing a Vornado fan near the AC vents to try and move the cool AC air around better.

    Unfortunately the AC and fans were only able to briefly maintain the temperature, before it started to rise on its own midday to 88 degrees up there at 4pm. And while this is happening, the downstairs feels frigid at times, though is low 70's on the thermostat.

    At 7:30pm now, the temperature comes down on its own upstairs. Over an hour it will drop 10 degrees as the sun recedes. I can put a fan in the window and run the AC and bring it down fast for nighttime. But I'm worried about summer when it may be hot outside all night.

    I'm not sure what I should do to improve this situation. I've thrown these ideas, some outlandish probably:

    • Invest in a ductless system for upstairs, that can run independently as a 2nd zone. Probably 2 or 3 wall units and an outdoor blower next to the existing central AC unit. The piping could run up the side of the house perhaps.
    • Invest in a window AC for upstairs, to see if it helps. Theres are only a total of 3 opening windows up there. (2 on the back side, 1 on the side of the house). I feel like it's just going to struggle all day though, and not be as needed at night.
    • Get another central AC unit and create a 2nd zone upstairs? Not sure how the duct changes would work or if this would even help. Probably far too costly also.

    What to do?

    submitted by /u/ralphy112
    [link] [comments]

    How I protect my windowsills from rot due to AC units?

    Posted: 15 May 2020 05:32 PM PDT

    Title says it.

    To answer the comments: it's not draining onto the windowsill. It's condensation between the unit and the sill.

    submitted by /u/qualitybatmeat
    [link] [comments]

    Affordable french door replacement

    Posted: 15 May 2020 06:53 PM PDT

    About 3 years ago, had some french doors installed and used a $1200 set from Lowe's. They're kinda cheap and junky and I'm ready to get something better. I called a company that sells Paella and they quoted me $6000 for their cheapest model, which seems way too expensive.

    What's a good way to get some quality doors? Are there cheaper options than brands like Paella? Should I buy something higher end from a box store?

    submitted by /u/leros
    [link] [comments]

    Home Depot Painting Contractor - Paint Options

    Posted: 15 May 2020 03:34 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    My wife and I just bought our first home, and were looking into freshening up the interior and exterior paint. We were put in contact with a contractor through Home Depot, who seems to have offered an outstanding price - $5,500 for the entire interior of a 2,700 sqft house (all walls, all trim, all doors, all shelving, etc), AND for the entire exterior (brick walls, garage door, trim, etc).

    The catch is that quote includes Behr Ultra paint. We have been researching on Reddit and elsewhere all day and are a little scared to accept this quote now. We have been reading that Behr is an inferior brand, and everyone recommends BM or SW over it. We are struggling to reconcile "the best paint" with "the best paint for us", and could use some advice.

    It seems like a big issue with Behr is that it is thinner, thus requiring more coats. This would be a big deal for me if I was painting myself, but if we are paying a flat fee for both materials and labor, I don't really care how many coats he has to apply. Are there big differences outside of the application process? Like once enough coats are applied, the paint dries, and it looks good enough to sign off on, what else should we be concerned about with Behr paints for an interior?

    Regarding the exterior, he said he uses Behr Ultra, but I imagine that would not fly on exterior brick. I imagine he would use this instead: https://www.behr.com/consumer/products/specialty-paint/masonry-stucco-and-brick-paint/behr-masonry-stucco-and-brick-paint-flat
    Same question as above for interior - is the difference between this and a BM exterior brick option really that large, once applied and signed off on? If durability is lower with Behr, what different in "years before needing to repaint" are we talking?

    We asked him if he could use BM paint instead and he said the quote would increase by $800-900 since he gets discounted Behr prices through Home Depot. Being first-time homebuyers, money is tight right after closing, so that's significant. But also doable is necessary. So given all the facts above and our tight budget, the question for you all is if you think BM/SW is worth it for our specific situation, even if its obviously the better paint in general. Any and all advice is welcome - we are new to this homeownership thing, and know next to nothing about painting.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Chawlz8
    [link] [comments]

    Sound of running water but nothing seems wet

    Posted: 15 May 2020 07:32 PM PDT

    There is an almost constant very loud sound of water running in a drain coming from my kitchen sink. It's loud enough to be heard from the next room. I can't find any evidence of leaks but it seems strange that this would be happening all the time. I should mention we have a reverse osmosis system (connected to our well) with a 5 gallon storage tank under the sink.

    Any idea why it would be so loud?

    submitted by /u/wandaj1001
    [link] [comments]

    Leaking Window

    Posted: 15 May 2020 04:21 PM PDT

    Driving rain just penetrated my window. I saw dripping where the window meets the trim on the inside of the window. If I remove the trim to caulk the window tomorrow and see rot, does that mean I have to replace the window?

    Good video or other resources for DIY window replacement? Help appreciated.

    submitted by /u/picoCuries
    [link] [comments]

    Squirrels in my plants!!

    Posted: 15 May 2020 02:29 PM PDT

    I really enjoy my deck in the spring and summer but the damn squirrels keep digging in my plants!!! Can anyone suggest a harm-free way to keep them out of my dirt?? I have palms, potted plants, succulents, tomato plants. They dig in ALL of them. I'm sooo sick of it! Thanks for any help!!

    submitted by /u/Pocketeer1
    [link] [comments]

    Want to DIY backyard deck in NJ, any tips and advice is appreciated

    Posted: 15 May 2020 06:34 PM PDT

    My family wants to build a deck in my backyard but I'm not really sure how to get started. Any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/TheNamesFrosty
    [link] [comments]

    Grass turned red?

    Posted: 15 May 2020 03:31 PM PDT

    I have tru green treat my lawn. I wanted to overseed, so they told me to wait until a month after their last application, so I did. I dethatched the lawn first and removed almost a whole garbage of dead grass (small lawn). Lot more bare spots now. I overseeded and my lawn kinda turned reddish in the areas where I removed the most thatch. Still waiting on seed to germinate. Watering twice everyday(morning and night for 10minutes). Does it make sense for the grass to be a little red in those areas?

    submitted by /u/Difficult_Rough
    [link] [comments]

    Backyard water pooling?

    Posted: 15 May 2020 06:04 PM PDT

    I have a backyard with water pooling quite a bit.

    I mean pooling to the point where I am making jokes about having a pool / lake.

    The area is about 1000 square feet, is lower than the neighbours lots by about 6 inches and I would imagine the soil to be pretty clay rich given the area.

    I am thinking about just digging a few big ditches under the area maybe 6 feet deep by 6ish wide and 10 feet or so long and filling them with maybe 1 inch gravel to allow the rain to pool under there and slowly make its way into the ground.

    What do you guys think?

    The last thing I want is to have any sort of sump pump system for the outside of the home.

    submitted by /u/NOMADIC_HOBO
    [link] [comments]

    Paint above kitchen cabinets

    Posted: 15 May 2020 02:33 PM PDT

    Not much of a painter and don't feel like shelling out tons of money for the work. What would be the best wY to paint above these cabinets? 4-5" gap. Thanks in advance

    http://imgur.com/gallery/qloqd4U

    submitted by /u/gansett123
    [link] [comments]

    Should I use bleach to clean concrete patio?

    Posted: 15 May 2020 06:15 PM PDT

    I have a Karcher 1800 PSI electric pressure washer with a built-in detergent tank and wanted to know if I should use bleach or one of those concrete and driveway cleaners like the Purple Power Driveway Cleaner? The ground looks disgusting as is, so would like to have it look more presentable as its a eye sore for me.

    https://i.imgur.com/xQ6grXi.jpg

    submitted by /u/uploto
    [link] [comments]

    Fence Building in Midwest

    Posted: 15 May 2020 04:18 PM PDT

    I'm going to ask a potentially dumb question. In my area, there is a 42" frost depth. My understanding is that fence post holes should be 6" below the frost depth to prevent frost heave. But most people and guides I see online say to only put 24" of the post into the ground. So am I supposed to dig a 48" bell-shaped hole, fill 24 inches with tamped gravel, put 24" of fence post in, and then fill it with concrete up to 4" below the top of the hole?

    submitted by /u/DevinCampbell
    [link] [comments]

    Butcher block, subway tiles and porcelain sinks, oh my!

    Posted: 15 May 2020 04:12 PM PDT

    So we are in the planning stage of replacing the countertops, backsplash and sink in our kitchen. I live in Virginia, and we have a few thousand dollars saved up. I am thinking about going the very trendy butcher block route. Anyone willing to share their experience with butcher block? I just love the warmth it adds, and we already have a beautiful cherry wood bar to match.

    Also, have heard mixed reviews on porcelain sinks. I'd love a white farm sink (trendy, I know, but it makes me happy), but I've heard it knicks and gets dirty. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/perdsnerdley
    [link] [comments]

    Air conditioner unit blowing cold air outside, warm inside?

    Posted: 15 May 2020 04:57 PM PDT

    Hello all. I got this wierd problem that of course has to plague my family in the dead of a heat wave. So from my thermostat, I have my AC on, but my outside central unit's fan is blowing all of the cold air straight out, and warm air is coming through all of my vents. It's like a sauna in every room. Why is my fan blowing outward, shouldn't it blow inside of it? It's actually one of the first times I've tried to run it in my new house, but I never noticed the AC blow out heat from my vents. Any ideas why my cold air isn't getting in?

    submitted by /u/ddtarzan
    [link] [comments]

    Could someone help identify what the additional layer is on my bathroom drywall?

    Posted: 15 May 2020 08:32 PM PDT

    Good Evening All,

    I am in the process of replacing some drywall in our bathroom where a water leak happened but have run into an issue. Because I have never put drywall up before I am having a difficult time identifying what the additional layer is that's on the drywall and was hoping someone could help me.

    First off, the drywall is in the bathroom next to the toilet and looks like it has a green paper on it, also, the drywall is 1/2" thick.

    My issue is that there is a 1/8" layer of something on the drywall (not the ceiling) and I can't figure out what it is. At first I thought it was veneer plaster because I read that sometimes people put a 1/8" thick layer in bathrooms but I have no idea what plaster looks like when it's dry so I don't know if that is what it is.

    Link to pictures: https://imgur.com/a/IWry32f

    Things to note:

    • I've already put up new green board drywall (I know it looks terrible, I'm new at this) but have not sanded, taped, or added joint compound to the gaps.

    • Picture 1, 2, and 4 show the paint the old owners used just pealing right off of whatever the white layer is, and the white layer is on green drywall.

    • The 3rd picture is just showing the thickness of the white layer.

    Thank you in advance for any advice or solutions to my question, it is greatly appreciated.

    Have a nice evening.

    submitted by /u/ShadowWolfe007
    [link] [comments]

    How to hide painting mishap?

    Posted: 15 May 2020 07:29 PM PDT

    A year ago I, unwittingly, used a spray primer one of my walls before painting over it. But it was literally a can of primer and I left plenty of blank spots on the wall; hoping that a couple coats would cover it up.

    However, when the light hits the semi-gloss painted wall at the right angle, you can clearly see the texture difference of where the primer was laid on and where the primer was not.

    I'm just wondering if another coat of the same paint will hide the texture difference, or if I'd have to do something more else.

    submitted by /u/aemengo
    [link] [comments]

    1/2" Wall Bend in 9'6" wall - acceptable or not?

    Posted: 15 May 2020 09:35 PM PDT

    I'm building a wall out of pine lumber and I noticed 1/2" inch bend overall the entire 9' 6" bottom and top plate. Should I leave them as is or should I bend them into a straight line when I mount the wall? I don't know what the standards are as I'm not a professional - just good with my hands and good at researching (this is part of the research right here :) ).

    I was checking other walls in the house and they seem to be bent one way or another (I get it - it's lumber: not perfect) so I'm inclined to leave them as is. Any pros to offer some advice on this?

    submitted by /u/andreifasola
    [link] [comments]

    3 way or 4 way switch?

    Posted: 15 May 2020 04:21 PM PDT

    I need to replace a light switch . The light switch is one 3 that controls a single light. The one I need to replace is in the bottom of the stairs while the 2 other switches are above. My question is, do I need a 3 or a 4 way switch? I've attached photos for reference.

    submitted by /u/c205th
    [link] [comments]

    Concrete crack filler?

    Posted: 15 May 2020 06:45 PM PDT

    Hey all! My back patio's concrete slab has a few minor cracks in it. Is there a concrete filler or crack sealer out there you'd recommend? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/young_travis
    [link] [comments]

    Can primer be left for a while before painting?

    Posted: 15 May 2020 09:54 AM PDT

    Renovating a house and the sheetrock was just finished and ready to be painted. I plan on priming the sheetrock now, but possible waiting to put top coat paint on the walls in the attic and basement in a couple months, focusing on the rest of the house for now. Will I have to prime again when I finally go to paint the attic? Someone told me that primers have a max time that they will protect without a top coat.

    submitted by /u/cgnss13
    [link] [comments]

    Four plumbing issues in condo in 1.5 years - reasonable or not

    Posted: 15 May 2020 08:38 PM PDT

    Hi all.

    After a brief period of renting, I bought my second condo at the Jersey shore. It's in a 14-story building that faces the ocean.

    Since the purchase, I've had 4 separate plumbing issues. All 4 required taking down and replacing drywall. 1 was my own fault (leaky toilet seal). 1 involved water main pipes in the "common area" leaking behind a wall. 2 involved the condo above me overflowing and raining down. I spoke to my upstairs neighbor and they claim they have the same problem above them.

    As I said, this isn't my first home purchase. I know repairs are part of the game. However, I have to wonder if this number of issues is "reasonable". The building was built in the 70s. I honestly didn't think it was that old (I grew up in a house built in the 30s) but one challenge I have is I can only control my pipes.

    Tl:Dr 4 plumbing issues in 1.5 years. I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth staying. Certainly paying a $1000 deductible every time there's a flood doesn't seem to be.

    submitted by /u/silentcrs
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment