• Breaking News

    Wednesday, May 27, 2020

    Home security: I'm fed up with wifi doorbells. Is there a good POE outdoor camera with 2-way audio?

    Home security: I'm fed up with wifi doorbells. Is there a good POE outdoor camera with 2-way audio?


    I'm fed up with wifi doorbells. Is there a good POE outdoor camera with 2-way audio?

    Posted: 26 May 2020 06:00 PM PDT

    I'm on my second wifi doorbell and the wireless connection is so unreliable I've decided that I'm just going to mount an outdoor POE camera. I already have a cable run from when I installed my LaView system (thinking that this might happen eventually).

    The one feature I'd be missing out on is the 2-way audio. Is there an outdoor camera that has 2-way audio built in that'd be compatible with a LaView system?

    I'd prefer a dome but a bullet would work.

    submitted by /u/9millaThrilla
    [link] [comments]

    Home Alarms - Branded vs Generic Signs

    Posted: 26 May 2020 11:06 AM PDT

    My family shopped around at a few different alarm companies, and decided to go with Frontpoint. I have seen a few different places that people recommend going with generic signage versus the branded sign/stickers from the alarm company.

    Does anyone else have an opinion there? I don't want to make the alarm easier to hack/my house easier to infiltrate but also want to save money if possible. What does this sub recommend? And if I should bite the bullet and buy generic signs, what brands/shops have people had success with?

    submitted by /u/-StevieJanowski-
    [link] [comments]

    Help with some outdoor security

    Posted: 26 May 2020 10:59 PM PDT

    I'm sorry if this is the wrong sub. I just stumbled across this while trying to help my brother's out.

    Background: My brother's built a shed in our parents backyard to house atv's and a couple snow mobiles. Last Christmas we had someone break in and steal a quad worth about 8k, plus the 14 years of sweat that he put into building that bad boy. The only evidence we had of the theft were the bolt cutters with the guys name on it and the truck I saw from my window. Not to mention my idiot brother stopped the insurance after his daughter was born. Of course the cops didn't believe it was stolen.

    I've been trying to find a security system that doesn't rely on wifi. The shed is down our back hill (can't even see it from the house) and doesn't come anywhere near even the neighbors connection. The shed is hooked up to electricity so something that needs to stay plugged in wouldn't be a huge problem. I don't know if there's anything that just records movement then recycles unclaimed footage. I know our neighbor has something like that but it's wifi. If there's anything that doubles as a door lock that would be awesome!

    Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to be getting my own atv soon and I feel bad that I don't know much about mechanics and I can't help them with repairs. This is probably the best way I can contribute right now.

    submitted by /u/CrimsonRonaan
    [link] [comments]

    Ring vs Simplisafe

    Posted: 26 May 2020 01:20 PM PDT

    My boyfriend and I are debating between the ring or simplisafe security systems. I live in NYC and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with either of these in an apartment situation. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/radarap
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone tried the Nest Outdoor Cam IQ - is it worth $200 over the standard version?

    Posted: 26 May 2020 10:26 AM PDT

    I am looking at the standard outdoor cameras ($150) or the IQ version ($330).

    $200 per camera markup is a lot, but I only need a few cameras - that being said I have been looking at the differences and they are marginal from what I can see.

    Nest Camera IQ:

    1) Has same resolution, except it has an increased sensor which is 4k. Your footage isn't recorded in 4k but when it detects motion it can zoom in without pixelating badly.

    2) the damn cable. My OCD hates this. The standard camera had the cable visible. Ugh. Not worth +$200 to hide it, but so ugly and annoying.

    3) IQ version has detection range of 50 Ft vs standard camera of 20ft.

    4) nest camera IQ comes with smart detection included but the standard gets that with the $6 a month sub, which I already have - so this is a wash.

    The only real feature I think is actually beneficial is the detection range increase to 50ft, that's very handy.

    With a second place being the 4k zoom when someone approaches your property should you need a 'mug shot' or to catch a license plate, it's not going to be a blur of pixels.

    Now, the $200 question. Is that really worth $200?

    Anyone have experience with both, do you regret buying the IQ version or not?

    Note: i am in the nest eco system, so this isn't a post to discuss Nests pricing policy. I understand the pros and cons and it is not for everyone.

    submitted by /u/Hodella99
    [link] [comments]

    Camera inquiries.

    Posted: 26 May 2020 06:18 PM PDT

    Looking for outdoor cams, 2-4. Yard isn't huge so doesn't need super far distance on IR/NV.

    Would like it to feed to a recording/storage device separate from PC but have option to display on a PC monitor/TV, would be really nice if the TV/Monitor could "wake" upon motion activation by cameras. Dunno if possible, budget around 500-600 I guess ? Don't know anything about Cam setups, wired or wireless though a decent wireless would be preferred as i'd be wiring everything myself

    submitted by /u/r0t1337
    [link] [comments]

    15 Common Home Security Mistakes

    Posted: 26 May 2020 06:01 PM PDT

    There are common home security mistakes that lead to burglary. For example, if you have strong locks for your doors and windows, along with you locking them, you have a significantly higher chance of not getting robbed, almost 94% actually.

    A large percentage of the population puts there keys under their doormats, use fake security systems, maybe they might announce their wealth, or where they are going.

    So, here is a quick 5-10 minute read on 15 common home security mistakes that you should avoid as a rule of thumb. There are statistics and visuals to enforce the reasons.

    Tell me if you like one, or whether I should add one in the comments. Warmest regards!

    submitted by /u/Defiel1
    [link] [comments]

    Is there an NVR that has PoE+ built into it?

    Posted: 26 May 2020 08:52 AM PDT

    NVR Decoding Capability

    Posted: 26 May 2020 08:51 AM PDT

    A comprehensive list and review of home security products

    Posted: 26 May 2020 10:45 AM PDT

    I'm signed up to a prepping blog and they just posted a blog post about home security products to buy. I don't know if I'm breaking any rules, been told to share here, so here goes:

    Link To Blog Post

    If I've broken any rules, feel free to delete this post mods.

    submitted by /u/seanmashitoshi
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment