• Breaking News

    Sunday, May 24, 2020

    Home security: I need some advice on a CCTV setup (20 cameras for large home)

    Home security: I need some advice on a CCTV setup (20 cameras for large home)


    I need some advice on a CCTV setup (20 cameras for large home)

    Posted: 24 May 2020 12:14 PM PDT

    Hello all,

    Firstly, I want to emphasize that this is the first time in setting up a CCTV system of this size, however I have a strong background in IT.

    So I'm doing some work for a member of my family, and I've been tasked with setting up a CCTV setup for his home, with the ability to go up to 20 cameras.

    He doesn't want an NVR, as he wants it to potentially be expandable, so currently I'm looking at putting Blue Iris on a powerful desktop, or a server if I can find one cheap enough to be able to run this kind of setup.

    He's looking at 5MP cameras but I may have to limit the FPS and they'll also only be saving recordings when it captures movement.

    My question is, what kind of hardware are we looking at being able to run this? He wants it ideally under £1000 (cameras not included) or is that just not possible for the price?

    The storage is separate, we will have enough space for 14 days of recordings at least.
    I've found something like this however I'm worried of A. Going overkill or even worse, B. Underestimating the requirements.

    I'm thinking of something like this: https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre/m-series-sff/ThinkCentre-M920s/p/10SJ0042UK

    Or alternatively a PC / server that has around the below

    i9 9900k
    8-16GB of DDR4

    Would anyone with more experience with these size of setups be able to advise me at all?

    submitted by /u/weightsfreight
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor Home Cameras

    Posted: 24 May 2020 12:02 PM PDT

    I don't know whether this is the right subreddit to ask this but I was wondering if anyone knew of a WiFi connected outdoor home camera that was respectful of privacy? I am looking for a camera that can be accessed from my phone and that is fairly easy to set up (on the technical side). I see cameras like the ring or nest and see they are owned by amazon and google which have its fair to say, shady reputations when it comes to respecting a users privacy. If anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated.

    Edit: Needs to be available in the UK

    submitted by /u/PersonInTheCrowd
    [link] [comments]

    Thieves Keep Stealing My Packages. I've Developed a Method to... Flush Them Out.

    Posted: 24 May 2020 02:43 PM PDT

    My camera company folded and I don’t know how to reset this box and connect my cameras. Any input as I don’t know the login to the NVMS7000 and have no clue as to the settings of this box or how to even see them!

    Posted: 23 May 2020 06:50 PM PDT

    Blink XT2 or Lorex wire free?

    Posted: 23 May 2020 07:33 PM PDT

    The Lenox is almost twice as expensive but could possibly be more robust as it comes with a system with 1TB hard drive. Can't tell if it has remote viewing off when you are away and on a different network from the box?

    https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-security-surveillance-camera-system/wireless-system-with-6-rechargeable-wire-free-cameras/LWF2080B-66-1-p

    The Blink XT2 is less expensive, has cloud storage, and you can change the zone it detects in. They are also considerably smaller, but still rated IP65.

    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/blink-xt2-5-camera-indoor-outdoor-wire-free-1080p-surveillance-system-black/6345067.p?skuId=6345067

    Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/SilentAssaultX
    [link] [comments]

    Best books to prepare for the next disaster?

    Posted: 23 May 2020 06:46 PM PDT

    Honestly, I'm a noob to this shit. I just want to get myself as ready for any and everything that I can as a noob.

    To be clear, I am not looking or asking for any conspiracy theories, militia-based stuff, or anything like that. Just straightforward, honest, "here's how to be ready, JIC TSHTF" information. Anything with included info-graphics for the subject matter is a bonus.

    Thanks, and stay safe.

    submitted by /u/ljanus245
    [link] [comments]

    Deciding on Security for first new home within budget. Security systems vs physical security?

    Posted: 23 May 2020 06:13 PM PDT

    My partner and I are about to close on our first house and so I have been digging deep into home security. I lean heavily for the physical stuff we can do while she is more interested in a home security system. I think both would be a good idea, I am just finding it challenging to strike a balance. I don't want to put a price on our safety, but budgets exist for a reason.

    I am leaning toward one of the DIY systems on the market. At first I was going to go with SimpliSafe, but then I heard about Kangaroo which is much more affordable with cheaper cameras. The price difference is huge. For Kangaroo it will run me $150 for the equipment and $10 a month while SimpliSafe is going to run over $350 for equipment and then $15-25 a month. Kangaroo has no backup if our wifi goes down like SimpliSafe does, but honestly I think I would be looking at a night or two a year when that happens.

    Physical security wise I am looking at motion sensor lights for the outside (all four sides), security window film, and reinforcement on the two doors to the home. We've been talking about a dog, but that is probably further into the future.

    So, I guess what this wall of text is asking is what is the best balance? Is Kangaroo good enough, leaving me more money to dump into physical security, or is something like SimpliSafe worth the extra money?

    submitted by /u/notfrombudapest
    [link] [comments]

    How much to spend on 16 camera system for business?

    Posted: 23 May 2020 05:32 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I'm trying to set up a 16 camera system for my business using Dahua/Hikvision cameras.

    How much should I be looking to spend for the cameras + professional installation? Just going to use entry level Dahua cameras. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/theracurmin
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone who has the Ring Spotlight Battery cam, how long would you say the camera lasts on a single charge?

    Posted: 23 May 2020 04:09 PM PDT

    Would you say the battery for the Ring Spotlight cams are good? Reason I ask is I want this cam for my backyard, i have 3 dogs, so would my dogs while in the backyard constantly trigger the cam to record and drain the battery?

    Does ring have any type of AI in their cams that differentiate human from pets?

    submitted by /u/jupiterlouis
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment