• Breaking News

    Wednesday, May 27, 2020

    Home Improvement: I used my electric chainsaw for the first time today...

    Home Improvement: I used my electric chainsaw for the first time today...


    I used my electric chainsaw for the first time today...

    Posted: 27 May 2020 11:43 AM PDT

    ...and managed to cut the extension cord on the very first cut.

    I'm not sure what's more embarrassing. The fact that I put what I thought was a reasonable amount of thought into not cutting the damn thing, and still somehow managed to cut it - or the fact that I stood there for a good 20 seconds pressing the button and wondering why it wasn't spinning anymore.

    Some days I feel pretty smart. Today...ain't that day.

    submitted by /u/Obvious_Organization
    [link] [comments]

    Friendly Reminder to Submit your Receipts for Home Depot Purchases Between 4/13-5/30 For 11% off

    Posted: 27 May 2020 05:50 PM PDT

    https://www.homedepotrebates11percent.com/#/home

    Friendly Reminder to submit your receipts for Home Depot Purchases between 4/13 and 5/30 for their 11% off Menards match. Home Depot is killing it right now, don't leave money on the table. I just saved $100+.

    submitted by /u/Tedmosby9931
    [link] [comments]

    Outlet randomly died with no visible solution

    Posted: 27 May 2020 08:15 AM PDT

    There's one mystery outlet in my house that stopped working out of nowhere. No breaker switches were flipped off. I flipped all of them off and back on anyway, still nothing. I installed a new outlet. Still nothing. What's weirder is that I held my voltage tester up to the outlet and poked it into the box and nothing. There's no electricity going to that box at all. I figured there may be something wrong with other outlets on that same circuit but I have no clue what circuit it's so I'd have to start taking every single outlet in the house apart if that's the case.

    submitted by /u/alwazetired
    [link] [comments]

    New Shelving and Workbench in My Garage

    Posted: 27 May 2020 05:44 PM PDT

    I built new shelves in my garage and a new workbench as well.

    Shelving is 16 inches deep, built from 2x4s and 1/2in plywood. The workbench frame and bottom shelf was made of the same and the top of the bench was made from a 12 foot 2x12. We also put 1/4in luan across the back wall to prevent stuff from falling off the edge and give it a cleaner appearance since the garage isn't finished.

    All in all, I think I spent around $300 and I still have most of a sheet of plywood and a couple left over 12ft 2x4s.

    It's not quite organized yet, we just quickly put stuff away, but the heavy lifting is done! I'm so happy and I can't wait to actually get it organized and work on new projects in the garage now that I have the space to do it.

    submitted by /u/whining-and-wine
    [link] [comments]

    What could cause 3 different smoke detectors to give repeated false CO alarms over the period of a month?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 09:55 AM PDT

    UPDATE - I had the gas company come out. The guy identified the hot water heater as the likely culprit - leaking controls and leaking piping. Not sure why this hadn't been picked up in the 5 visits that the maintenance dept made to check things out, but there you have it. The water heater is now shut off until they come repair it, so hopefully no more alarms! I truly appreciate all your insight! I was starting to feel like I was crazy and that nobody was concerned but me!

    ~~~~~~~~~

    I am a renter, so I apologize if this isn't the right sub for this, but I wasn't sure where else to ask. Feel free to direct me elsewhere if appropriate.

    A little over a month ago, my CO alarm went off. Called 911 and my landlord's maintenance service. There weren't abnormal amounts of CO anywhere in the apartment. False alarm... Except that it went off again the next morning. Maintenance replaced it (the first one was about 8 years old).

    Everything was fine for about 2 weeks, then it gave off a low battery alarm. I replaced the batteries and double checked the hardwire connection. Everything was fine for another 2 weeks.

    This past Friday, another CO alarm went off. Guy came and reset it, checked for CO again with his tester, nothing. It went off again Saturday, and again Sunday. After we reset it each time, it was fine for about 24 hours. Maintenance guy installed another new detector yesterday afternoon, checked again for co. All clear.

    This morning, that brand new, out of the box detector gave a CO alarm again. The maintenance guy brought in a dust vac and cleaned out some stuff in the heating/ac unit and around the water heater thinking maybe that's what is setting it off.

    Anyway, the maintenance guys seem perplexed. Any idea what could make three different detectors give repeated false CO alarms? I'm thinking it must have something to do with the hard wiring somehow, but I know nothing about anything like this. Should I be pushing them to check the electrical work?

    Thanks for your help. I'm hearing this damn alarm in my sleep, and my poor cats are on eggshells with all this loud beeping happening all the time.

    submitted by /u/RedPhoenix42
    [link] [comments]

    How do get cooler air from basement to upstairs bedrooms?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 04:30 PM PDT

    I'm assuming many people might be in this situation. I'm in a single family home, about 3500sqft including a finished basement. The house has a forced air furnace, a new one in fact. The A/C is working great it seems. Basement reads 17C and there's an upstairs room at 25.5C.

    The basement vents are all closed and I've closed off a few that are on the main floor to try and get more air upstairs.

    Should I be getting booster registers? Such as this one? https://www.homedepot.ca/product/cyclone-booster-fan-plus-in-white-with-built-in-thermostat/1000486274

    Any other ideas? I was thinking that maybe there was a way to get the basement returns to start pushing more air.

    submitted by /u/boushiki
    [link] [comments]

    Anything I can do with my giant blue toilet on a 3 inch pedestal?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 08:13 PM PDT

    I've got a basement bathroom that I'd like to update. It looks like a combination of a bunch of left over projects by a not too savvy homeowner.

    The toilet is right out of the 1960's. It's real big and real blue. On top of that, it's in a 2-3 inch concrete pedestal. I'm assuming the extra height is for drainage. I've thought about raising the whole floor height, but that would move the step to the door and probably create a ledge to trip on.

    pictures of giant toilet

    Do I have any options on making the floor... more flat? I'd really just want a place to sit where my feet touch the floor.

    submitted by /u/Kevin_Is_Awesome
    [link] [comments]

    should plastic gas cans be "vented" in hot weather?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 03:20 PM PDT

    I have one of those plastic red gas containers they sell for storing gasoline. I noticed in hot weather it "inflates" due to pressure build-up inside and sometimes a little bit of gas leaks out of the screw on cap. Is this dangerous? Can they blow up, or is this by design? Do they need to be "depressurized" by unscrewing the cap a bit periodically?

    submitted by /u/GetInHereStalker
    [link] [comments]

    We are getting our ancient cabinets painted. We would like some shade of white, but we're open to suggestions. Backsplash area is painted light green.

    Posted: 27 May 2020 06:50 PM PDT

    stupid question... if I work in the garage during winter with garage doors always open, there is no benefit for garage insulation correct?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 07:15 AM PDT

    I am planning on installing drywall and thought about insulation. Main reason I like being in the garage is having the doors open. Therefore, benefits of having insulation are lost or is temperature still higher than outside even with doors open?

    submitted by /u/oldman401
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for flooding garage: I'm converting my garage into a pool house. I'm in New Orleans and the garage regularly gets a little water through the garage door with each rain. I'm wondering if I can solve the wood to ground contact without building a chain wall around the foundation of the garage.

    Posted: 27 May 2020 08:14 PM PDT

    The garage was originally a carport and the previous owners just put up siding around the wood posts so I don't think there's a proper foundation for the garage. An architect recommended that we put a chain wall around the bottom of the garage in order to seal it up from flooding and to solve the wood to ground contact. Our contractor (that we've used multiple times and trust) quoted us around $20K to install the chain wall, add 4" concrete to the floor, move some plumbing and other small negligible things. Does anyone know of a cheaper option to fix the flooding (very minimal even in a heavy rain) while also solving the wood to ground contact?

    I'm thinking about digging up some of the concrete around the garage and planting native plants/rain garden to solve the flooding issue. But then what do I do about the wood to ground contact?

    submitted by /u/Whitzerland
    [link] [comments]

    Water softener

    Posted: 27 May 2020 10:17 PM PDT

    Hello guys, me and my wife moved into our first home last year. It's brand new and doesn't have a water softener. We live in Utah where water is hard. I was looking at Lowe's website and they have AO Smith water softener 40000 grain on sale. Does anyone have any experience with AO Smith brand? Do you think it's a good purchase

    Link: Water softener

    Any input will be appreciated.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/fahad_tariq
    [link] [comments]

    First-time home buyer seeking kitchen tips

    Posted: 27 May 2020 05:03 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I am a first-time home buyer in CA seeking advice on how to improve this kitchen through beginner DIY skills and a tight budget.

    The current homeowners are still in the process of moving out, so I was only able to snap a quick picture and video of the area. I apologize if that's not enough to go off of.

    My main concern is the cabinets. I would love to paint them white and raise them as I have seen plenty of people on this subreddit do. However, I'm worried about the microwave and the cabinets next to them. Can those be raised as well, or is it a better idea to remove them completely and install floating shelves over the stove?

    I am having trouble with a vision as this is my first home. Basically I'm open to any and all suggestions. If you were moving into this kitchen next month, what would you do first?

    (Sorry if this is an inappropriate question for this sub, feel free to redirect me if so) kitchen

    submitted by /u/mamaaintraisenobitch
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing gasket for toilet yay

    Posted: 27 May 2020 09:51 PM PDT

    So I am fixing a leak and have some questions. My flange for my toilet is below the floor a little so I plan on using 2 green synthetic gaskets . I have set the toilet but it feels like it's just bottoming out on the flange is this normal . How is it suppose to feel if it's set right.

    submitted by /u/AsEasyAs1234
    [link] [comments]

    HVAC- Air escaping around the cabinet/ac unit

    Posted: 27 May 2020 09:48 PM PDT

    I just turned my AC on for the Summer and found it to be a bit louder than I remembered. I went to check in it and noticed some water dripping as well as a high amount of air escaping around the unit itself above the Goodman logo. Just wondering if this is normal? I've attached some pictures. Any advice here would be great. It's only my first full year in the brand new build. I moved in June of last year. Thanks

    https://imgur.com/a/1UNzrvg

    submitted by /u/LifesOptimist
    [link] [comments]

    Window coverings for high angled windows

    Posted: 27 May 2020 07:12 PM PDT

    Hi community, now that I'm working from my dining table I'm desperate to find a solution to prevent the sun from blasting me thru my high windows every afternoon.

    Here is a photo of my windows when I love them most, during the snow, and another from tonight with one of the existing window shades down: https://imgur.com/gallery/k3XNXTk.

    The current window shades are not great for three reasons: they don't shade well, they're annoying to bring down (the cord sits about 7' high so I have to use a stool or pull them inches at a time), and they don't cover the angled portions. The latter reason is why I've been completely stumped at finding a solution.

    I'd love to have something motorized if possible (switch is fine, doesn't need to be smart), but would also like to avoid spending thousands. I'm quite handy and can do custom work (tho happy to also pay for others' work), but in this case I'm totally stumped on how to design them. Ideas?

    Edit: I'd also like the covering to open all the way up, avoiding a solution where open is still partially covering the windows.

    submitted by /u/dually3
    [link] [comments]

    Wanting to upgrade ethernet throughout house, can't find where they meet up

    Posted: 27 May 2020 05:29 PM PDT

    So, my house was built in '03 and the electrician decided to put Cat5 cabling in the house rather than Cat5e (which was made 4 years earlier) and I would like to upgrade my cabling in my house to Cat6 so I can plug a second router in somewhere else in my house. The place where electrical stuff is mostly managed in our house is in our pantry. Our breaker box is in there along with a jumble of coax cabling coming out of the wall but I cant find my Ethernet cabling anywhere in there or my house. Is it possible that the jumble of Cat5 is behind my breaker box or possibly in the wall? If I can't find the origin of my cabling, would cat5 be able to support the gigabit speeds I plan to run through it?

    submitted by /u/DragonHost
    [link] [comments]

    Circulating air with no air conditioner?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 02:26 PM PDT

    Outside it's 70, inside it's 85.

    I'm so hot and I have every window open with 3 fans running and the temperature continues to rise.

    What is going on in my house?!

    submitted by /u/LongLiveSwonk
    [link] [comments]

    Pavers installed with wrong sand?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 09:11 PM PDT

    I'm having a paver patio installed and the quote included G2 polymeric sand. I wasn't watching the installers as they were brushing in the sand, but it appears from a leftover bag they've used some fairly generic joint sand. They also left the site at the end of the day with dry pavers, so it seems to me that polymeric sand wasn't used.

    I'm unfamiliar with the full installation process. Could the work simply be unfinished? If not, is this going to make a significant difference in quality or maintenance? I'd like to be prepared for when I speak with them tomorrow.

    submitted by /u/flagarby
    [link] [comments]

    Design Ideas for Dated Kitchen

    Posted: 27 May 2020 06:56 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    My partner and I recently moved into our first home, and while there is MUCH remodeling in our future, we thought we'd wet our whistles with the kitchen. Our kitchen is really not that bad, and I'm approaching the remodel as a facelift.

    Here is a link to some images of our kitchen: https://imgur.com/a/XlLpbBM

    The major point of contention in getting a design going, is that my partner hates the brown granite countertops. I am not a huge fan either (I definitely think the look is dated), BUT I feel like 1). They're not THAT bad, and 2). They're much higher quality than what we would put in if we were to take them out. These countertops are 25 years old and still look perfect. We'd probably end up with Ikea countertops or similar, since we're trying to keep costs down.

    I think if we painted the cabinets white, threw on some brass pulls, and then put up a fun patterned backsplash, we'd have a nice facelift at a very reasonable cost. Our home is a 1930s Spanish bungalow, so maybe a Spanish or Mexican hand painted tile for the backsplash??

    We'll also eventually end up with some kind of engineered hardwood in the kitchen, but that will probably happen a bit later, as we'll want it to match with what we're putting in the rest of the house, and not quite ready to make that decision yet. But think a classic oak brown hardwood color.

    Appreciate any input!

    submitted by /u/fantasyidiot1040
    [link] [comments]

    How to fill in the spaces between the soffit boards and the fascia

    Posted: 27 May 2020 03:09 PM PDT

    I have these space around my house now, most are small but I have these bigger ones here:

    https://imgur.com/a/CzYtsh3

    How can I go about filling these in? I can just caulk the smaller ones but the bigger ones I have no idea.

    submitted by /u/S3nseiCY
    [link] [comments]

    Subway tile install without spacers

    Posted: 27 May 2020 01:42 PM PDT

    My contractor installed 3x12 tiles in my shower, and while the grout lines are straight, the tiles seem to be unlevel. I don't recall seeing any spacers used like he did on the floor. He's blaming the wall for being uneven but it's all new! I have the worst luck with contractors, even with reviews!

    https://streamable.com/mo5stj

    submitted by /u/Obzezzed350
    [link] [comments]

    Swimming Pools

    Posted: 27 May 2020 09:08 AM PDT

    Hi all, I'm not sure if I'm in the right sub but I was hoping if someone could perhaps help out with a concept.

    I live in a cold area were summer weather lasts 2-3 months at the most. I was thinking of having a pool project started in my yard however I was also wondering if anyone has heard of a more hybrid approach? For example my imagination tells me that I could have an indoor pool can exist with outdoor elements. So maybe I can build a big enough patio and encase it with glass such that I still get some heat and sunlight in the fall/spring months.

    Would anyone here know of concepts I can look up that are like this as I am not the best with these terms at the moment? Or am I just too ambitious?

    Thanks in advance

    EDIT: Thanks for all your responses it is much appreciated.

    Maybe pushing imaginations further would anyone know if in terms of hybrid capabilities, that if a glass enclosure is opted for, whether or not it can be retracted sort of like some canopies?

    submitted by /u/vactuary
    [link] [comments]

    I need solutions for our basement renovation. I think there were steps missed with the framing.

    Posted: 27 May 2020 04:05 PM PDT

    We recently bought a home (Alberta, Canada) The previous owner had started the basement renovation and installed framing, batt insulation, ran electrical wires for lights outlets and covered everything with a clear plastic vapour barrier.

    From what I can tell, the framing is right up against the concrete and the batt insulation is also touching the concrete. There doesn't appear to be a vapour barrier between the concrete and insulation and I am not sure if the bottom plate is treated or not. I'm sure if I just continue on with the reno it will only be a matter of time till there is moisture damage and a musty smell.

    I would like to salvage as much as possible and was wondering what possible solutions there may be? Do I have to move the walls? Can I remove the batt and slide a vapour barrier behind and then reinstall batt without having to move walls? Do I change the batt to a rigid insulation?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/AHOqHT4 A couple photos, not the best as I can't get a good shot of how close the framing is to the concrete.

    submitted by /u/puppykittymomma
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment