• Breaking News

    Sunday, April 5, 2020

    Home security: Wiring and recommendations for cameras in new house

    Home security: Wiring and recommendations for cameras in new house


    Wiring and recommendations for cameras in new house

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 09:03 PM PDT

    Building a new custom house, and we very soon need to finalize the list of low-voltage wiring requests. We want to be able to setup 3 cameras: an exterior one on the detached garage, interior one covering the main living space, and a doorbell camera. The main thing we need to figure out right now is whether we pay the electrician to run CAT5e wiring for us ($75 each plus $600 for underground run to garage) for PoE, or if we should just use wifi and get additional 110v sockets added near the 2 larger camera locations - the doorbell one should be able to just run of the doorbell kit's transformer. I don't think I'm going to pay the $600 for the underground wiring... I'll either have him just run the CAT5e to back of house and do the rest myself, or just stick with plugging in the camera and using a wifi extender.

    In addition to the wiring issue, I may as well get your opinons on brands/models to use. Our must-have requirements are:

    • can be setup to store recordings on local server. NO CLOUD. NO MONITORING SERVICE. Don't like relying solely on SD storage either as it's too easy for a thief to steal.
    • live feed and recordings from all the cameras viewable in single app or self-hosted web server or DVR (looking at Blue Iris as an option)
    • no batteries
    • motion sensing
    • infrared/night vision
    • exterior & doorbell camera must be able to survive Canadian winters (-40°C/F)

    Nice features to have, but not mandatory:

    • integration into Home Assistant (especially the doorbell)
    • notifications on cell phone when motion detected, during certain hours
    • interior camera: sensitivity settings to prevent motion detection of our small dog
    • interior camera: very wide angle, or ability to pan during live feed
    • doorbell camera: 2-way voice
    • 2 or 3 second "lookback buffer" so that a motion-triggered recording includes some footage from just before motion is detected

    It's probably not relevant to the camera choices, but I plan to do a bunch of other automation stuff: smart locks, dimmer switches, door & window sensors, smoke & co2 detectors, moisture detectors, and integrate my harmony hub. I'll most likely go with a z-wave or zigbee devices, with a smartthings hub and home assistant + node red on a raspberry pi. I'm a software developer so the programming aspect is not a concern.

    What should I do about wiring/powering the cameras, and what brands or models would you recommend?

    submitted by /u/beejdrill
    [link] [comments]

    Sanity Check of my DSC NEO

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 11:26 PM PDT

    Hi Guys,

    Background, I'm a network engineer by trade and a maker/electronics hobbiest during my downtime.

    I'm not a professional installer but I've installed a number of PowerSeries (Classic, not Neo) over the years in different places I've lived in.

    Recently I moved into my new house and I installed a PowerSeries Neo HS2064 with the following:

    • HS2064

    • HSM2108 Zone Expander

    • TL280RE Communicator

    • BV-501GB Motion+Glass Combos (x4)

    • Wired Door and Window Sensors

    • Everything DEOL Resistors

    Compared to my previous installs with the PowerSeries Classic, I'm noticing a few things with my PowerSeries Neo install:

    • I can't figure out how to get the ac light to be "off" when the panel is powered normally. I was able to do this on previous installs with PowerSeries Classic.

    • The green check icon is always active even when my motion detectors are tripped/open, I'm using zone type 005 for all motions. On my PowerSeries Classic systems the green check would normally only be active when all zones are closed.

    • The keypads cycle between the "system is ready to arm", "secure system before arming" and the date/time display every time a motion is tripped/open. This is my first system with full text keypads so maybe this is normal.

    Aside from the above, I'm loving the PowerSeries Neo, the prox arming/disarming and especially the ConnectAlarm app which allows me to arm/disarm and see zone status from my phone.

    Thanks for any assistance.

    submitted by /u/certifiedsysadmin
    [link] [comments]

    Home camera recommendation

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 06:49 PM PDT

    There are several systems on amazon with great reviews that are fairly cheap at under $300 for several cameras and home base. Are these any good? My use is just entryway and in garage and back porch area. My needs are

    -wireless

    -only need recording when motion activated

    -able to view on phone

    -text alert

    -night vision

    Eufy and Blink were just a couple that are highly reviewed on amazon with all of these features for a good price. I like the Eufy more because it does not use cloud storage, but a small on board storage. Any thoughts on these?

    submitted by /u/MinimumFuel
    [link] [comments]

    $55 per month We need to replace Brinks Home Security

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 06:12 AM PDT

    I would appreciate any help.

    We live in Townhouse like a condo . with a small patio. 2 points of entry and 2 sliding doors .

    Recently our bill went up to $55 per month and I think it's too much.

    We can pay $25 for the police/fire department etc. and ready to buy our own equipment. we live in Connecticut.

    Redditors, Thank you for your Wisdom and Time!

    submitted by /u/astropitec
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment