• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 23, 2020

    Home security: Window Security Film -- Installation Particulars

    Home security: Window Security Film -- Installation Particulars


    Window Security Film -- Installation Particulars

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 03:30 PM PDT

    Hi all, I am a first time homeowner with ground floor windows and a big window in the front door in Seattle. I recognize that we have a homelessness problem and have some worries about smash-and-grab burglary.

    I've read the thread linked to from the wiki about security film and it seems to promote security film as a good option. I've been researching and getting quotes and come across some particulars regarding installation that I am unsure about.

    It looks like you can get the film installed on the inside or outside of your window, or even between the panes if you have double/triple pane windows. My questions:

    1. I have been quoted around $1200 for professional installation for film on one side of 2 big windows and 2 door windows. Does that seem about right?
    2. Getting film on both inside and outside of the window doubles the price, is getting just the inside effective?
    3. The installation company "highly recommends" getting the film bonded to the window frame. Is that as important as they make it out to be?
    4. If the windows in my doors are tempered, does that change anything about which side or how many sides I should get film installed on?

    Thank you for any advice

    submitted by /u/am_i_having_fun
    [link] [comments]

    DIY Home Fortifications, Part 1: The Front Door

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 04:28 PM PDT

    Camera placement, above or below floodlight.

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 07:27 AM PDT

    A few days ago there was the generic post "what's the best night vision camera?" Someone replied, night vision sucks just have a floodlight always on.

    Sounds like a reasonable thought. So is there any recommendations as to where to install the camera in relation to the floodlight.

    In my particular situation my garage has a floodlight on one side. Should I install a camera above, below, next to, or on the other wall of the garage?

    My thoughts are possible glare, shadows, etc.

    UPDATE so this was a last minute decision on a new home build. The low voltage goes in next week so I had to make a decision on ethernet today. Thank you everyone for the quick response, definitely a lot of good points. In the end I made the decision to have the camera positioned on the opposite wall/side of the garage from the floodlight.

    submitted by /u/Miamiblue112
    [link] [comments]

    Alarm Recommendations

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 12:16 PM PDT

    We live in a pretty decent, quiet area but have had several items taken from our yard since moving in about 3 years ago. We now have a 1 year old and it's getting (passed) time to put her in her own room.

    The master is on one end of the house and additional rooms are on the other so we can't hear anything on that end of the house. We have guns in our locked gun cabinet beside the bed and a large dog that is loud when he wants to be but is also outside of our brick home on the other end of the house. Before moving her to her room we want an affordable security system with window and door sensors and outdoor cameras that can alert us to any activity so we can respond quickly. Ring is looking like the best option. The plan is to purchase a kit plus 2 spotlight/floodlight cameras for the backyard and side furthest from us. We also want a camera for the front of the house but that doesn't have to be a spotlight. I'm concerned too many expensive looking cameras outside will make our home seem like we have valuables indoors as well and may attract intruders? Or maybe I'm overthinking it?

    I've seen articles questioning the security of ring alarm systems. My biggest concern I guess is that they are easy to bypass on the 1/10000 chance a burglar plans the intrusion and sees we have ring and knows how to interfere with the system.

    Question 1: Flood light or spot light. We want good video quality both day and night but also quick notifications. I saw some youtube review stating the battery and wireless cams had different response times. Any advice in which to choose? What's the best camera for the front?

    Question 2: Is interference a big issue? I know several people with Ring and they seem happy with it.

    Question 3: 2nd Generation comes out soon so 1st generation is currently on sale. Any real reason to go with 2nd generation over 1st? I figure there will be bugs that have to be worked out and haven't seen anything showing an advantage to 2nd generation. If we love ring and want to upgrade later we can donate three 1st generation kit and accessories?

    Thanks for any advice!

    submitted by /u/Letsthrowitaway2020
    [link] [comments]

    4K POE Bullet Camera's with Audio?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 02:26 PM PDT

    I have the Amcrest IP8M-2496EW 4K bullet cameras. Great camera, easy setup but doesnt have sound. Is there something similar to the Amcrest with audio? They make dome cameras with audio, but I dont want a dome.

    Only requirements are 4k bullets/8MP @ 15fps min and would prefer decent night vision distance.

    submitted by /u/bigolyt
    [link] [comments]

    Opinions on netis camera hardware.

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 09:03 AM PDT

    Hi all,
    Looking at buying some netis cameras i've found for very cheap online, but I cant find much information/reviews about them.

    Ik this is an bad sign but they are *very* cheap, and Netis seems to be a relatively well established company that has diverted away from cctv products towards networking hardware.

    I'm looking at the SEK204 IP camera kit, which I would intend to split up, using milestone or blue iris on a desktop. The cameras say that they support ONVIF, PSIA and CGI, however I'm concerned that the cameras will be restricted to using the Netis NVR.

    Does anybody have any experience with this hardware and could you offer some advice as to if the cameras will work with software such as milestone or blue iris and the quality of the cameras.

    Many thanks!

    submitted by /u/Toggleguy_
    [link] [comments]

    Where to find a working and free IP Webcam app for iOS 8.1.2?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 01:08 AM PDT

    I have a bunch of old iphones that I want to setup as "security cameras" in my home network. On newer iOS devices this app "IP Webcam Home Security Camera" from "Sohaib Ali" works just great and exactly as expected: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ip-webcam-home-security-camera/id1264454867. It simply generates a HTTP (MJPEG) stream into my local network that I integrate in my Home-Assistant.io application.

    But for older iOS devices I just cannot find a simple app that does that. There used to be WebOfCam which did that but is now rebranded Alfred and isn't free anymore. I even went to the trouble of Jailbreaking one old iphone 4 to hopefully find a solution that way but even in Cydia store I only found Cycorder and videorecorder3g that both crash at start instantly. I have searched for HTML5 webcam options in combination with WebRTC but options seem limited and I am about to give it up after wasting hours. I also tried Veency VNC, while the VNC part works it doesn't show the camera on my VNC viewer, only on the iphone screen and to be honest that is just a crap solution and I don't really want to go to the trouble of converting a VNC stream into a simple video/MJPG stream.

    Does anyone know of any app or solution that is free, preferably open-source and as of today still works on (a jailbreaked) iOS 8.1.2? I just need a simple IP Webcam app that streams the camera, that I can access on IP:PORT on my local network. That's all.

    submitted by /u/rdickson1981
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment