• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 23, 2020

    Home security: Drug addict neighbor broke into our cars, the house will be next. Need advice!

    Home security: Drug addict neighbor broke into our cars, the house will be next. Need advice!


    Drug addict neighbor broke into our cars, the house will be next. Need advice!

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 04:27 PM PDT

    Looking for advice for an affordable and effective solution. Our house has two doors and 7 windows of possible entry. I think I'm leaning toward gettingatleast one outdoor camera and 2 indoor. I'd also like some motion sensors for the main hallway.

    We currently have a Simon XT system which was installed before we lived here. There are only 4 sensors and most of them dont work properly any more. Wondering if I can buy more sensors for the system.

    Pretty much know nothing about home security, and our budget isn't great. We could maybe afford $300 tops, but that's pushing it. We are both unemployed college student. The pandemic hasn't helped.

    Thanks reddit!

    submitted by /u/Gone333
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendation

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 07:49 PM PDT

    I have a neighbor that messes with my yard. I don't have a fence, and the far edge of my back yard is up against his driveway. He likes partying summer nights and doesn't like my garden (which is near his driveway). I find beer bottles and garbage all over the place all the time. Can anyone recommended a camera that does night vision....maybe 30-40ft out that's wireless and I can watch through my phone? Thinking abt a google nest, but don't really want to pay a monthly subscription.

    Any help is much appreciated.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/brewski5niner
    [link] [comments]

    Ring?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 10:15 PM PDT

    We live in a pretty decent, quiet area but have had several items taken from our yard since moving in about 3 years ago. We now have a 1 year old and it's getting (passed) time to put her in her own room.

    The master is on one end of the house and additional rooms are on the other so we can't hear anything on that end of the house. We have guns in our locked gun cabinet beside the bed and a large dog that is loud when he wants to be but is also outside of our brick home on the other end of the house. Before moving her to her room we want an affordable security system with window and door sensors and outdoor cameras that can alert us to any activity so we can respond quickly. Ring is looking like the best option. The plan is to purchase a kit plus 2 spotlight/floodlight cameras for the backyard and side furthest from us. We also want a camera for the front of the house but that doesn't have to be a spotlight. I'm concerned too many expensive looking cameras outside will make our home seem like we have valuables indoors as well and may attract intruders? Or maybe I'm overthinking it?

    I've seen articles questioning the security of ring alarm systems. My biggest concern I guess is that they are easy to bypass on the 1/10000 chance a burglar plans the intrusion and sees we have ring and knows how to interfere with the system.

    Question 1: Flood light or spot light. We want good video quality both day and night but also quick notifications. I saw some youtube review stating the battery and wireless cams had different response times. Any advice in which to choose? What's the best camera for the front?

    Question 2: Is interference a big issue? I know several people with Ring and they seem happy with it.

    Question 3: 2nd Generation comes out soon so 1st generation is currently on sale. Any real reason to go with 2nd generation over 1st? I figure there will be bugs that have to be worked out and haven't seen anything showing an advantage to 2nd generation. If we love ring and want to upgrade later we can donate three 1st generation kit and accessories?

    Thanks for any advice!

    submitted by /u/Letsthrowitaway2020
    [link] [comments]

    Motion Sensor Alarm that can be programmed to only sound during the night.

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 09:13 PM PDT

    Hello!

    I live on acreage and had someone drive right up to our shop the other day then turn around and drive off at 11pm. We only noticed because we were up later than usual.

    I've tried searching for a motion sensor with an audible alarm that I can set to only go off during a programmable range of time. I don't want it to go off during the day while us and the kids are outside but if it would sound an alarm from 8 pm to 7 am that would be great. Are there such alarms on the market?

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/rockypoint
    [link] [comments]

    POE PTZ Camera High MP, long range night (100 meter) High Zoom

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 09:11 AM PDT

    Hi,

    Looking for a POE PTZ security camera, looking for high resolution, 5mp prefered, high zoom, 20x at least, and long night vision, say 100 meters or more. Any suggestions please? Thanks

    submitted by /u/goudgoud
    [link] [comments]

    Cellular-based systems - How to connect to professional monitoring

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 06:29 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I am looking to buy or assemble my home setup, and connect it to a professional monitoring system. As I recall when younger, systems were based on phone lines and would dial the call center. Things have obviously changed and systems now use either WiFi or GPRS/GSM/cellular connexions for dialing in to the call center.

    My question is, how does modern systems contact the center? The purpose is to find out if the system I will buy/assemble will be compatible with local professional monitoring services in my locality (eastern Canada).

    I've seen add-on devices such as this one: https://www.dsc.com/index.php?n=products&o=view&id=2485 but questions remain: who provides the SIM card & pays for its service? Is this a universal thing among service providers?

    I am not looking to have the complete call experience, nor remote video/voice or automation. Simple remote monitoring by a third party; alarms trips -> they see it.

    Edit: There is no traditional phone line in the house.

    submitted by /u/blkbox
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment