• Breaking News

    Monday, April 13, 2020

    Home security: Things that most people have at home to use for temporary front door security

    Home security: Things that most people have at home to use for temporary front door security


    Things that most people have at home to use for temporary front door security

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 10:07 PM PDT

    Hi there!

    Are there any common household things that can be used to temporarily strengthen my front door? I live on ground floor, so I feel pretty exposed. I'm waiting for a security bar to arrive in the mail, but for now is there anything I can do?

    Not looking for recommendations like install a longer strike plate or use longer screws, as I would prefer not to open my front door at this time.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/sukaspice
    [link] [comments]

    I think someone hacked my camera system

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 05:28 PM PDT

    I live in a small apartment and I have one camera which lets me see my apartment for security reasons whenever I travel somewhere. I also leave it on when I'm at home. The camera app allows someone to speak through the camera when viewing (so the camera has a microphone).

    A few days ago, the camera made weird noises. First, I heard a man's and a woman's voice but muffled. It then became silenced and then music started playing. The music was very carnival-like, like that music you hear in a horror movie with kids. Again, it stops. After a while, I hear breathing sounds; like really heavy breathing sounds. And it had stopped completely. I decided to unplug the camera that night.

    My mom decided to plug it in again today, and she went in the camera app to rotate the camera eye to the living room. After a few hours, she checked on it and saw that the camera had been rotated to our dining table.

    It will now stay unplug. I'm now really scared and worried.

    submitted by /u/sil_ver_pris_ma
    [link] [comments]

    Pre-wiring for future system

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 02:13 PM PDT

    Home alarms are fairly new to me so I'm looking for some advice on the pre-wiring needs for a future alarm system. There is no system in place at the moment but we will be finishing the basement so the time to run wires is now.

    The deets: - two story plus unfinished basement (appx 1200sqft per story) - Detached garage with potential to run additional wires to (already wired with 120v) - 3 exterior doors on main floor - A few windows on the main floor but I'm not concerned about them - 2-3 keypads (front, side, upstairs hall) - Samsung Smartthings for home automation - BlueIris or a hardware NVR for 3-4 cameras - Ring doorbell

    From what I can see, keypads and motion sensors require 4 wires while door contact sensors require 2. That said, I'm more concerned about the keypads at the moment. I've also seen some systems that seem to be a hybrid of wired and wireless.

    I would like a nice looking touch screen, but HA features are not important as I want to keep HA (SmartThings, doorbell) separate from the alarm system.

    My thoughts are to pre-wire (4 wire) for each of the keypads back to where a potential alarm panel would go and potentially a few (also 4 wire) for motion sensors. Because I can, I'd probably also run a CAT-6 to each keypad because future-proofing and why not. I figure the siren would go near the panel and therefore wouldn't need wiring.

    Would wiring for keypads+motion now generally allow me to add wireless door contact sensors later depending on the system? What else would you wire for? What about smoke/CO? Aside from changing batteries and signal issues, are there other major downsides to wireless vs a wired system?

    submitted by /u/n1ck-t0
    [link] [comments]

    Reactivate door chimes without paying monthly?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 07:02 AM PDT

    (solved)

    I have an ADT alarm system that was installed before I bought this house. When I first moved in, the doors would sound a chime when you open them. I disabled them when our child was born so it wouldn't wake him up when I came home from work (unplugged the AC adapter in the attic, and removed the cable from the battery in the junction box).

    Its been about 4 years now, and I would like to re-enable the chimes without paying monthly for a service. Can I simply plug both back up and be good to go? Or will I need a code, subscription, etc? Thank you! My boy snuck outside this morning while we were asleep.

    submitted by /u/athusmindless
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment