• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 15, 2020

    Home Improvement: Health Warning

    Home Improvement: Health Warning


    Health Warning

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 02:24 PM PDT

    Hi all. I have a friend now in the Hospital with a collapsed lung, yes its Corona Virus related. He is a contractor and never wore a face mask or respirator ever. Concrete cutting, drywall sanding, demolition, insulation and deck building with pressure treated lumber. I cannot tell you how many times I would get a bad time from the guys at a site for wearing a face mask and even wanting ear plugs. WEAR A MASK! WEAR A RESPIRATOR! WEAR EAR PLUGS even if its just home owner maintenance. it just may extend your life!

    submitted by /u/Billybobbybaby
    [link] [comments]

    100% DIY Master Bathroom Remodel!

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 11:23 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/Hb7Clr1

    Hope this link uploads the pictures! Worked on this remodel for months, with long breaks in between, but tried to maximize the space for our 7 by 4.5 foot bathroom.

    Ask any questions you have! This was all my first time doing something to this extend, with 100% youtube and some friends help. That's it.

    EDIT since my post was removed:

    So many lessons learned on my first major project! Here are some things I would definitely do differently:

    1. If you're doing this yourself, or a general newbie in these projects, I would NOT recommend trying to do everything cheaply. Use products that are the most convenient, not what is cheapest.

    2. In the vein of #1, use schulterboard / wedi / any pre-waterproofed board instead of cement board. It was a pain in the A** to cut, even more of a pain to screw in. I'm in the middle of a remodel now with kerdiboard and its a literal dream. 100% would recommend the foam board method for simplicity and ease of use.

    3. Don't try to build your own mudpan or go curbless. I was desperately wanting a curbless shower due to the look, and wasted 10 hours and 100+ dollars in mudmix trying to make it perfect. Just buy a preformed base (schulter made one that is tile-able).

    4. Plan everything out if you are moving the footprint of the bathroom (or don't move the footprint at all). I worried for many hours about the shower space, completely neglecting the proper space to poop. You can still sit comfortably, but I wish I had another 3-6 inches on the John. I also bought too big of an IKEA vanity at first for the bathroom, and had to tear it out because it was just too large. I'm lucky to be able to use it in my other bathroom.

    5. If hanging a vanity on the wall, put your studs in before drywalling :')

    6. Don't be afraid to mess things up! I tore out tile on the floor twice, three mudpans,a bunch of cement board, a shower valve mixer, etc. All of it gave me so much firsthand experience that I'm using on my other bathroom.

    7. Don't psyche yourself out, and go for it! PEX Plumbing, Tiling, and so many other things were much easier than it appeared. I was terrified of messing something up, but it went very smoothly :)

    Budget :

    Plan was for a $2500 remodel, and I went slightly over. Includes a TON of tools I didn't have, since I've never done this before. Reaping the rewards on my bigger, under $1000 bathroom remodel. Everything was done for the maximal space/ roominess.

    IKEA Vanity and Sink (Godmorgen) : $280 (they were having a sale)

    West Elm Light Fixture : $80

    Circle Mirror - Target : $50

    Shower Glass from Wayfair : $260

    Sliding door to bathroom from wayfair : $300

    Schluter Shower kit : $400

    Misc Kerdi Band / Ditra : $100

    Tile (floor and decor) : $400

    Ishii Big Clinker Cutter : $300

    Pex Plumbing fittings, pipe, tools, etc : $150

    Mortar, buckets, grout, leveling systems, spacers : $300

    Misc Home Depot Runs : $185

    Cement Board and Densshield : $150

    Ardex 8+9 : $70

    Quartz from Fabricator : $120

    Delta Vero Champagne Bronze Showerhead / kit : $150 (from local builders auction

    Sink Faucet (lowes) : $60

    Total : $3355

    Lessons learned : Priceless :)

    submitted by /u/johnpinkertons
    [link] [comments]

    First time drywalling a room and I have a stupid question.

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 07:21 AM PDT

    I'm remodeling our dining room. I've ripped out the old plaster and lathe (2300 lbs!), rewired the room, re-did some of the framing, insulated the exterior walls and now I'm ready to hang the drywall.

    The room is 11' 3" square. I'm thinking of buying 4'x12' sheets of drywall to minimize the joints I'll need to mud, tape and sand. I would only have the horizontal joint in the middle to worry about, no vertical joints

    This is the first time I've hung drywall on this scale (I've patched a few holes but that's it).

    Are the 12 foot sheets too unwieldy for an inexperienced person?

    submitted by /u/hsh1976
    [link] [comments]

    Small bright spot in all this weirdness

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 09:22 PM PDT

    I emailed Black & Decker about my drill battery charging but not working. They replied asking for my address and nothing else and BAM. New drill arrived. No questions asked. I was expecting them to just tell me how to replace a battery. It was a small thing but made my week a little better. Ever have a good customer service experience like this?

    submitted by /u/SnackPocket
    [link] [comments]

    How much did you spend during the first year owning your home?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 12:03 PM PDT

    Obviously this question has a lot of variables such as the age of the house/how much was paid upfront/previous homeowner maintenance and even pure luck in some cases. However, my husband and I are first-time homeowners -- purchased 6 months ago-- and it seems like all at once in the last couple of months, things have started needing repair. Furnace kept turning off (luckily quick and cheap repair), we're having gurgling issues with our toilet, drain from our tub caused a leak in the kitchen, there's a small hole in our soffit around garage due to damaged shingle... pending roof replacement to come, and other smaller cosmetic issues we're noticing.

    We knew that a new roof was in our future, but my husband is getting stressed and thinks we made a bad choice in the house itself. I still think we got a great deal all things considered and assume a lot of this is a "welcoming to home ownership". Interested to hear others' experiences and crossing my fingers the list doesn't continue to grow.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/kayshay611
    [link] [comments]

    Garage Door Noises

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 07:48 PM PDT

    I have a two-car garage with an automatic opener. When I open the door, I hear a loud pop as if the door is hitting something, getting caught, then freeing itself.

    I've watched and I don't see it hitting or catching on anything as it opens.

    Something I should be concerned about?

    submitted by /u/Boxedset1983
    [link] [comments]

    directv dish not used, can i cut cord that goes to utility pole

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 08:10 PM PDT

    I know i can cut the coaxial cable that goes inside that house no problem, what I am unsure about is the wire from the utility pole. its a satellite why is there even a wire to the utility pole is beyond me, then I thought possibly its electricity?

    anyone know if this wire can just be cut straight up?

    thanks

    submitted by /u/pookeye
    [link] [comments]

    Anchors keep tearing while applying into drywall.

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 08:41 PM PDT

    I have these anchors: https://www.amazon.com/COBRA-ANCHORS-016R-Hollow-Screw/dp/B004Y75YUQ/

    Trying to hang a shelf. Hand screwing these anchors into the wall keeps giving me issues, either the tips break or the whole anchor goes rogue. I currently have half a torn anchor stuck into the wall. (not sure how to get it out) Should I be pre drilling a hole into the wall before trying these anchors?

    submitted by /u/pureiguana
    [link] [comments]

    [TN] Cost to add a second garage door to basement?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 08:28 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    Thinking about making my unfinished basement a two car garage, instead of one. There is one garage door on one end of the house, and I would like to put a door right beside it. The wall is block on the inside, brick on the outside. This single-story home was built in 2003.

    There will need to be a little bit of excavating done, to remove some dirt that is next the house, since currently it is only dug out enough for one garage door. This will require removing a 4ft high, 6ft long wooden retaining wall, and replacing it with one that is probably 6ft high. It may be possible to slope the ground so that a retaining wall is not needed, not sure.

    Could anyone give a (very) rough cost estimate? Just curious if we're looking at $1ks or $10ks? Since the excavating is a big unknown without getting a look, feel free to exclude that from the estimate. Is there any more info I can provide to give you a better idea of cost for cutting out a door?

    submitted by /u/codestar4
    [link] [comments]

    Any wireless switch models?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 08:17 PM PDT

    I've been searching for weeks, but I can't find the functionality I'm looking for. The prior owners of my home (1948, mid-century ranch) installed overhead fans and lights, but connected them to the circuit breaker for the attic instead of the circuit breaker that goes to the light switch in each room. I want an in-wall switch that can transmit a signal to a receiver that can control a light on a separate circuit. Specifically, both the switch/transmitter and the receiver should be able to connect to the AC lines in my house.

    I've found tons of "wireless switches", but they are basically battery-powered remote controls that can stick to your wall. I do NOT want the switch itself to be battery powered. I don't care if there is an additional remote or not.

    I'm reasonably experienced with electrical work, and I'm comfortable making minor changes to my wiring if needed - but I want to avoid major rewiring.

    Any brands and models that you know of? Or search terms that won't give me battery-powered switches?

    submitted by /u/frogontrombone
    [link] [comments]

    Cultured stone outside

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 08:17 PM PDT

    Do you have to do a scratch cost outside or can I put up durock and lath over it then butter my stone and stick?

    submitted by /u/taveryri
    [link] [comments]

    Tin ceiling tiles around woodstove pipe

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 08:16 PM PDT

    Hello hivemind!

    I'd appreciate some quick advice for those familiar with tin ceiling tiles. I'm hoping I can use them to cover the ceiling around my woodstove pipe in my cabin. I don't want to use sheetrock or plywood to create a drop ceiling first - I'm wondering if I could simply nail them to the joists. Every tin ceiling how-to I read recommends nailing them to plywood. I'd just be using 4 tiles, the steel (not PVC) kind, 2'x2' each, and it's in a corner so the edges might be held up just fine by trim alone. What do you think?

    Thanks,

    Tuula

    submitted by /u/Tuula_11
    [link] [comments]

    3 handle tub/shower faucet trim kit?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 06:38 PM PDT

    I have a 50s bathroom I'm planning to renovate soon. We're on a budget so we're reglazing the tile instead of gutting, but I'd like to modernize the faucet, shower head, and handles. There's a handle for hot water, cold water, and one to turn the shower head on. I wasn't expecting to have a hard time finding a modern trim kit for this setup but most of what I'm finding by Kohler, delta, etc, is for two handles. Can I just buy an extra handle for the middle tub-to-shower handle? Sorry if this is a dumb question! Thanks for any help you can offer!

    Photo for reference: https://imgur.com/gallery/klQK0zd

    submitted by /u/SeveralBiscotti0
    [link] [comments]

    What do you need to tile a floor? Good project for beginners?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 06:27 PM PDT

    We bought a house with linoleum in the kitchen that is peeling (it's new, but I think they didn't install it right.)

    We have a kitchen that's about a half inch higher than the rest of the house, but when we peeled back two layers, all we saw was like a wood subfloor, which spooked us because we had been told there would be more layers and it'd level the kitchen with the house.

    Is this a good beginner project? or are we better off hiring someone? This is also the only room in need of tiling (and likely we won't tile again while here.) So we aren't sure if buying stuff like tile saws shifts towards better of hiring someone (t's a tiny kitchen.)

    submitted by /u/kathythesecond
    [link] [comments]

    Vent registers

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 07:59 PM PDT

    My house is in desperate need of new vent covers. There are a few different sizes and I measured the actual duct opening.

    When shopping online, is the dimension listed the actual size that you see, i.e. the whole vent? Or is that the size duct it works with?

    There was also a couple loose screws, I fixed one with a little wood and glue but the other one wasn't as easy, how can I get some bite on my screw?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/drewsEnthused
    [link] [comments]

    Are there non-slip shower mats that 1) don't have suction cups, and 2) are latex-free in the U.S.?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 07:57 PM PDT

    I'm staying at a friend's house whose shower stall floor has square tiles with grout, so suction cups aren't sticking -- most of the suction cups end up straddling the grout lines, so makes it impossible for the suction cups to work. So that's why I need a mat without suction cups.
    I also happen to be sensitive to latex, so I need a latex-free, non-slip mat.
    I have post-concussion syndrome, so I have to use some kind of mat when I'm in the shower. I've searched all over and haven't found many choices.
    I did find teak and bamboo shower mats, but I'm sensitive to the off-gassing of stains and polyurethane finishes, and I couldn't find any unfinished teak or bamboo mats.
    Thanks in advance for your help. I'll totally understand if what I'm looking for doesn't exist in the US.

    submitted by /u/Leah_33
    [link] [comments]

    Deck - DIY or contract?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 07:53 PM PDT

    I've never done a deck before or much woodworking for that matter, but I believe I have all of the tools I'll need. I started picking out supplies like composite deck boards, 2x6x12 for joists, 4x4s for posts (maybe go 6x6 and notch them?), working on drainage for the area, weed barrier, carriage bolts, coated screws, hidden fasteners for my deck boards, etc etc. After picking out materials it looks like it's only going to be ~$1200 (doing this with a coworker, so getting some bulk discounts and 5% off with Lowe's discount)

    Never done a ledger board before but I know water proofing is key. I currently have a concrete step where it should go that I should be able to break out?

    Honestly I was going to just pay some random guy (mexican—no I'm not being racist) on Facebook, we agreed on $2000 for a 12x12 but obviously that's pretty cheap and who knows what kind of work I'll end up with...

    Think this is something I should go ahead and tackle? Please advise, thanks. Seems pretty easy...just making sure to get the ledger board installed properly, and making sure things are level and square.

    submitted by /u/waynemc
    [link] [comments]

    Wanting to upgrade our windows

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 07:37 PM PDT

    We have 22 windows in our house that we want to update to energy efficient windows.

    According to our home inspection the windows we have are alluminum. Are they energy efficient? They look like single pain but I can't be sure, the house was built in 1979 and it may be the original windows.

    2 questions:. What is the best type of windows to upgrade to increase the climate control in my home if my alluminum windows aren't energy efficient

    And how much ballpark do you think a window company would charge to replace 22 windows (just regular square windows) with energy efficient ones?

    submitted by /u/binxlyostrich
    [link] [comments]

    Minisplit unit repair help

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 07:36 PM PDT

    I believe i have a leak somewhere in my split unit and i need help finding a reputable person online.

    What's the best way to find a repairman for a minisplit? I've been calling people on yelp and these people charge insane amounts and there's no guarantee they can fix the unit. Some are charging upwards of $300 hourly.

    I'm located in NYC anyone know of a reputable person or a source to find one?

    submitted by /u/xandro0
    [link] [comments]

    I want to finish my attic, how do I deal w/ recessed lighting?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 09:20 PM PDT

    I don't have photos of my attic, but I want to finish it out later this year. I have recessed lights and insulation exposed in my attic at the moment. Here is what is looks like, somewhat: https://i.imgur.com/sjkvc1s.jpg

    How do I floor the attic? Will I have to change the types of recessed lighting?

    Does anyone have a guide on how to DIY this? What are the steps? I have wood working and building experience + all of the necessary tools, but no experience in regards to home building. Thanks for any help.

    Edit: Went up there and took pictures: https://i.imgur.com/EGhcOSy.jpg

    submitted by /u/MostlyRealEstate
    [link] [comments]

    What would you do with these snap-on, plasticky bathroom walls?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 07:04 PM PDT

    Every wall of our bathroom including the whole shower/tub is covered in this plastic/vinyl-like material. It appears to be rolled out or comes in large sheets that are fastened together with some sort of other plasticky piece to cover the seams. We don't know what's under it. But are starting to gather ideas for a potential upgrade post-covid. We are total beginners and would be getting some help. Currently planning our budget so open to a range of ideas. What would you do if you had to remove walls and replace?

    pics of the walls

    Also: For anyone who has/had this kind of wall, how did you care for it? It just doesn't seem super water tight, there are so many places for dirt to stick, on top of being U-G-L-Y...

    submitted by /u/jealzbellz
    [link] [comments]

    Small puddle under kitchen sink.. send help

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 06:57 PM PDT

    Hello All,

    Just replaced two badly corroded connector pipes under my kitchen sink, made a trip to Lowe's.

    Reassembled everything with new materials.

    Ran the sink... all dry. Ran a quick cycle of dishwasher.. now there's a slow leak leading to puddle.

    I want to knock this problem out ASAP. I'm assuming the connectors could be tightened (which I will do) but is there any thing else Im overlooking?

    Thank you,

    Terence

    submitted by /u/king_terence
    [link] [comments]

    Not sure what to do about these 2 doors hitting each other when opening.

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 09:51 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/2CvJ53G

    Hey all, so I'm planning on replacing a 30" hollow door but I'm trying to figure out my options on the best way to do this to stop the 2 doors from clipping each other.

    From the pictures, both doors swing inward and the latch from the brown door hits the white steel door. I know it's not a huge deal but since I'm replacing the brown hollow door I wanted to try and fix this.

    More info on situation:

    White steel door is an entry door from a sunroom that was added on. So I believe I can't change the swing on that or change the hinge side.

    Brown door is a hollow door that goes from the kitchen to the basement/sunroom. I can't change the hinge side because of light switches on the right side of the wall (not in picture).

    Not enough room for a pocket door and other types of doors aren't up to code because of the location by a stairway. Correct me if I'm wrong there.

    Am I able to change the swing from the kitchen door to have it swing inward? I know I'll lose a tiny bit of room because of this but I wanted to make sure this was allowed first.

    Or, can I set the hinges into the door jamb a little further to give the doors the appropriate clearance?

    I am replacing all hardware along with the brown door too.

    Any options or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Stinky_Dog
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment