• Breaking News

    Wednesday, March 25, 2020

    Home Improvement: When you're running out of projects and find a can of black acrylic paint...

    Home Improvement: When you're running out of projects and find a can of black acrylic paint...


    When you're running out of projects and find a can of black acrylic paint...

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 04:13 PM PDT

    Plumber just contacted me because of Stay-At-Home status in MI... does this mean that all contractors (handyman/electrician/plumber/etc) are all no-go's until this thing lifts?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 04:51 AM PDT

    To clarify, the plumber contacted me (after making the appt a week ago) and cancelled on me. It seems like plumbing (especially) would be an essential service... but maybe I'm wrong? When something goes sideways with your house, how are you supposed to deal with it and maintain a safe/healthy environment for people living there? Not ranting, just trying to understand.

    submitted by /u/DetroitHustlesHarder
    [link] [comments]

    After just over a year, it's time to share my project...

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 06:25 PM PDT

    Hopefully this can inspire some lurkers to either post theirs or jump headfirst into their own! Pardon the lengthy description and bad formatting...I'm a lurker for the most part too (and tried posting this before but did a lot of things wrong!).

    https://imgur.com/gallery/SgvCf4G

    https://imgur.com/gallery/E3SjJo8

    I (26F) was living upstairs in a duplex when the homeowner decided to sell. Being the friendly smallish town man he is, he asked first if my roommate or I wanted to buy it. I did not! But...I wound up buying it anyway (great value, boredom, lack of other options). I have no experience working on houses, but I have tons of experiences working on boats and a childhood of trailing my real estate agent mother through homes and dreaming of what they could look like with some elbow grease. Being wintertime as a sailing program manager, I was bored and the opportunity to was too good to pass up.

    So I bought the house, moved downstairs to the smaller and very dated unit, ripped it all to pieces and so it began! The house was built in 1895 and converted back and forth a few times between a single and two family home, but fortunately the windows and roof were all replaced a few years before I bought the place. The furnace has 10 years on me, but the upper was given a 'rental renovation' a few years ago...give and take.

    The lower hadn't been touched in awhile, had about 2 sq feet of counter space, spongy laminate countertops, horrible carpet and yellowing linoleum. I took the carpet out, painted the walls, installed new baseboards, added a peninsula and some lighting, hung new cabinets (I was going to paint the old ones but Home Depot has cheap cabinets that don't look to shabby), splurged on a nice countertop, and got some new appliances!

    My dad came and helped for a few days with the floor, click-together laminate (love), but other than the counters and the pendant lights, I did everything myself with the help of friends when I needed a hand. The whole thing cost just under $9,000, the biggest lump sums being: counters ($1200), appliances (hard to say, I had to play hardball with the delivery people, being a young woman sometimes was a pain in this process as far as dealing with people assuming I knew nothing, sometimes came in handy, but after getting damage credits and credits for waiting F O R E V E R for my fridge, around $2,200 for the whole suite), flooring ($2,000ish), electricians ($750), about $1,000 in tools which I know barely counts but I had nothing but a hammer and some tools more handy on boats, cabinets ($900), and then the rest just kind of adds up between baseboards, paint, lighting fixtures, lots and lots of caulk because the walls are NOT straight...

    If I could go back, I would have splurged on nicer baseboards but I just did not have the cash on hand. I only cried a few times trying to get them all fitted on the squiggly walls. I'd have bought a pneumatic nailer for that project, and a miter/chop saw would have been incredible, but I had to draw the line somewhere.

    At the end of the day...it's not perfect, but it's mine and it's even nicer than I envisioned! It took me nearly 12 months to have it 'finished', between busy season and work and putting projects on hold because I had to wait for the next paycheck.

    Next up for the quarantine......the basement and the yard! Good luck all, thanks for reading, and stay healthy out there!

    submitted by /u/wrk15
    [link] [comments]

    No shower I need help ASAP please.

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 05:35 PM PDT

    Hello everyone My city is in lockdown and I can't find the right pieces at the stores. I really do need help to figure it out as my shower broke. The cartridge and handle broke somehow and I need to replace it I have now idea what to do from here what pieces am I missing. And how to make the water fking work. It's one handed shower meaning when u turn it left water goes on and all the way to the left hot water goes on.

    I'll attach pictures to show you how my wall look and the pieces I had before.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/xrMa8fR

    The cartridge I think I can find but I literally don't know what's next?? What faucet handle goes on it?? My previous one was X shape.

    Can I just put different Cartridge and different faucet handle? I live in the USA so any link from homecepot or anything here will work...

    submitted by /u/Leos14
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to convince my dad to raise the roof of our concrete house

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 07:28 PM PDT

    Basically what it says on the tin. Some context for the concrete house, I live in the Caribbean, all our houses are built with concrete. That said my house is about 20 or so years old and my dad is planning on renovating it. I'm planning on asking him if he's willing to raise the ceiling (which is also concrete) because it's so low and makes me feel claustrophobic.

    Is roof raising generally super expensive? (It's not that big of a house). Even if it is how do I convince him it would be a good idea to do it? Also as a side note, the bathroom ceiling is probably gonna need some TLC anyway cause it has some leaks and major discoloration. Is that enough of a reason to convince him to raise it???

    If it isn't please suggest some reasons haha. And if anyone knows the ins and outs of raising the roof of a concrete house please tell me all i need to know so I can go into this like I know what i'm talking about.

    TLDR; Dad is renovating concrete house, how do i convince him to make the ceiling higher?

    submitted by /u/bellehouseofann
    [link] [comments]

    Tips and Suggestions for putting in double pocket doors

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 12:32 PM PDT

    I am building a wall in my basement and my spouse and I decided we wanted double pocket doors, but I don't know where to start. I would love tips and even hardware recommendations if you have them. My doors will need to be 80 inch due to the height of the ceiling. Has anyone built their own frame and then just bought the hardware? I really appreciate your input. Stay safe out there!

    submitted by /u/Reffjeddit
    [link] [comments]

    Should my vacuum breaker squirt water upon releasing nozzle?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 10:14 PM PDT

    Should my vacuum breaker behave like this? All I did was wrap teflon tape, screw on vacuum breaker, then screw in the snap-off screw.

    submitted by /u/EddiOS42
    [link] [comments]

    Fridge waterline connection giving me issues

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 06:13 PM PDT

    Everytime I turn on the water, the pressure blows the hose from the insert I put in it I cant really tighten the nut anymore so is my water pressure just to much??

    submitted by /u/abigfence
    [link] [comments]

    Is my ceiling collapsing?!

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 07:32 PM PDT

    Title pretty much covers it. Went out to take the trash out and found a large crack running from one end of the garage to the other along a seam. It looks like it's starting to hang. I had noticed some tape flaking but thought it just needed to be redone a bit, but now it looks like it's getting worse and we'll outside of my ability to handle. Especially since it's right where the garage door is installed.

    Who should I be calling, what should I do? Do I call my insurance company or check the attic? Should I even try to go up there and what would I be looking for? I'm really at a loss and worried it will get worse fast if I don't get it taken care of.

    http://imgur.com/gallery/s2O9hC0

    submitted by /u/theforlornknight
    [link] [comments]

    My garage lighting sucks. Looking for budget friendly ideas.

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 06:21 AM PDT

    My garage lighting situation is terrible.

    https://i.imgur.com/lv7hILY.jpg

    One single bulb. And the light on the garage opener.

    I want to pull the trigger but there are so many options I'm lost. Harbor Freight has their LED strip lights on sale. I've thought about two of them but my ceiling is kinda low and I'm not sure hanging lights are the best option.

    I've also thought about a deformable led light like one of these:

    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=deformable+led+garage+lights&sprefix=defo&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_4

    But I'm afraid that won't get enough spread into the dark corners of my roughly 20 x 20 garage.

    Anyone done a combination? I'm thinking a deformable in the center to replace the existing fixture and a couple strips along the sides, particularly over the soon to be built workbench area. I'd love any input from anyone that's redone their garage lighting recently. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/ragbagger
    [link] [comments]

    How to seal holes in wall to prep for painting?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 08:27 PM PDT

    So I'm trying to paint some rooms that previous renters painted a horrible shades of red, cream and blue ( each wall is a different color) and there's holes from failing to mount a TV to the wall. The holes are about the diameter of an expo marker for reference. Do I just use sparkle and sand like with smaller holes? There are also nails that have been hammered flush with the wall. How do I get those out? I live alone and I'm 18.

    submitted by /u/DJCyaniide
    [link] [comments]

    Why do the nail pops keep coming back?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 07:27 PM PDT

    Hi Reddit

    Im in a 1.5 year old home. I've lived in the house for half that time. When I took possession there were a few screw pops as to be expected, but the builder had those fixed prior to me moving in. As time has gone on, some of them have come back where they already fixed them. Why is this? Were they not fixed properly? I know when the house was new and empty and sitting for many months prior to my possession, the heat wasnt always temperate and controlled. Could this be now that Ive been heating and cooling the house properly some are now coming out due to that? Im just trying to figure out if theyve been fixed wrong or if some are reappearing due to climate,heat and humidty naturally.

    Please see pics. Was hard to capture them all but here are a handful. You can see a few. Builder said drilling a screw in beside it is overkill and you can just screw the original one back in, is this true?

    https://imgur.com/a/Og6MWWu

    https://imgur.com/gallery/r8wGht5

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/LifesOptimist
    [link] [comments]

    Need to smooth out a sharp wood slat in crib

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 10:39 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/8OlDjXp

    Shortly after we bought the crib a long sliver of wood broke off one of the vertical slats. I glued it back on as best as I could, but as you can see there is still some ugliness there, but the big concern is the sharp edge that it left. Is there a non-toxic durable coating I can put on to smooth it out? I want to avoid the whole sanding & painting cycle if I can just because to the paint will not match up, but if I need to go that route, are there recommended "safe" paints to use?

    submitted by /u/Kramerica-LLC
    [link] [comments]

    Leather Drawer Pulls

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 10:39 PM PDT

    Are they sanitary? Am I missing something here? How does one ensure they're clean? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/reidthisthangpls
    [link] [comments]

    Counter-top Transformations Kit vs Decorative Marble contact paper

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 10:33 PM PDT

    I'm looking for some advise on how to provide a short term (1-2 year) improvement to my kitchen counters.

    I just purchased a house and while eventually we plan on replacing the deep blue plastic laminate counters, it's not our first priority on things to update. We are looking at temporary alternatives so we can still paint and walls and cabinets without the counters being screaming out of place. Looking into what options are out there we landed upon the Rust-Oleum Counter-top Transformation kits and the various vinyl decorative marble contact papers.

    Does anyone have experience with either? Looking for all input.

    Here are said counters: https://imgur.com/a/tNx5P5k

    Eventually I'll do the main counter in granite and the island as butcher block.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Cisfire
    [link] [comments]

    Fixing low water pressure

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 04:31 PM PDT

    My wife and I just recently bought a house, and we have noticed that our shower has really low water pressure. We have had the same shower head for several years, and have taken it every time we moved. For the last three apartments it has worked just fine, but now that we are in this house we find that it has really low pressure. It is one of those that allows for several different modes, as well as has a hose whose head has several different modes (which is what we usually use). The water pressure is so low that a good third of the nozzles do not work at all, and changing modes has a negligible difference. When the modes vary from a single high pressure blast from the center nozzles to a decent rain from all nozzles, that seems to be a problem to me. Especially because it worked perfectly 2 months ago before the move.

    Unfortunately, my bathroom DIY knowledge extends only to swapping out shower heads and replacing plumbers tape. As such, any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/FaolCroi
    [link] [comments]

    Sharpie Stencil Wall

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 10:17 PM PDT

    One of my weekend projects I want to do is to stencil one of my walls with a water-based Sharpie paint marker. I just drew on the wall with the marker to see what it looked like, and I left it on for a couple minutes. I also wanted to see how permanent it was, so I sprayed it with Lysol spray and the paint washed right off. Is there a way to make the paint permanent? Did I just not let it dry long enough? Am I better off using an oil-based paint marker? The marker I used is the one recommended by the stencil maker. Using the marker will be the fastest way to use the stencil I bought, but I don't want to put all the work in of it will just wash off when I need to clean the wall! Have any of you done this before? Any tips?

    submitted by /u/red_moles
    [link] [comments]

    Low profile deck option

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 01:29 PM PDT

    I've got only a 2.5 inch drop in elevation from the top of my sliding glass door to my concrete patio. I'd like to have a deck that doesn't exceed the height of my sliding door curb, so I'd be limited to that 2.5" space.

    Someone had mentioned some sort of metal racks that would allow for water drainage but be low profile enough for the 1.5" thickness of pressure treated lumber. I can't recall the name, but if it rings a bell for anyone I'd love to look into it or any other options you guys may feel is worth checking out.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Mayonnaiseandjelly
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for the 101 on artificial turf.

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 10:04 PM PDT

    Want to install it on our side yard for our (almost 1-year-old)daughter to play. It's my understanding that there are different levels of quality, some get hit with the sun some don't; some absorbe water better than others; some resist stains or things like spills or dog shit better. Any advice and recommendations welcome!

    submitted by /u/pizzarobot
    [link] [comments]

    What can I do in my backyard? I don’t think anything will grow under the pines but is rock my only option?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 06:11 PM PDT

    Old owner dumped everything and then some behind the shed but what do you think I can do behind the shed to minimize maintenance and along the fence line? South-Western PA if that helps.

    https://imgur.com/a/EWtwoEq

    submitted by /u/BrisbaneAus
    [link] [comments]

    Vertical wood beams that go under the foundation. What are they? How do I fix them?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 09:52 PM PDT

    I own a 1928 Tudor style home in the US. I was doing some reorganizing under the basement stairs (where we have storage) and saw that there are two (maybe more?) vertical wooden beams that appear to support the staircase, but instead of resting on the foundation appear to go beyond the cement and are now totally rotten at the base.

    Here are some pictures

    My questions are: 1) has anyone seen anything like this before? 2) should we be concerned? 3) what if anything would you do to repair this? 3a) my initial thought was to cut off the rot, get cement mix, fill the holes, and fit new wood between the new cement and the intact wood. Good plan? Bad plan? Other ideas?

    submitted by /u/what_is_a_sandwich
    [link] [comments]

    Can Overjacked Foundation be lowered back?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 05:52 PM PDT

    Not going to go into too many circumstantial details. Just wondering if a residential foundation that was overjacked (raised too high) can:

    a. Be lowered back to a more reasonable height

    b. Have it done via the warranty that came with the original company's work

    c. If lowered, will it cause damage to structure or plumbing - no slurry or filler foam has been added underneath the home

    It has caused very significant leveling issues inside the home and possibly may have cracked some of the foundation. Will need to take up vinyl floors to make sure.

    submitted by /u/Thunderchunt85
    [link] [comments]

    Fence building question (setting fence posts against house)

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 09:21 PM PDT

    I'm looking to redo some leaning fences and it starts with needing good posts. I don't think the originals were ever embedded in concrete. Anyway, they lean, they are junk, I need to start over.

    Basic question maybe, but if I wanted to set a 9' post to 6' above grade, do I just dig a 3' hole against the side of my house, plumb the post about 1" away from the side of the house, then pour it with concrete to a few inches below grade? I'm wondering if this chunk of concrete, touching the foundation will cause problems. It's not technically attached through rebar or anything, just a mound of concrete touching the foundation wall below grade. I need a well set fence post on either side of my house, how are they normally put in? I also thought about setting the post in a sonotube to avoid most of the concrete touching the foundation wall but there is usually spillout at the bottom of the hole at least.

    I'd like to leave a slight gap between post and house, just enough to slip a hand between maybe, enough to put a decorate cap on, but still be fairly tight to the house (and dead level).

    I guess the other option is to anchor a board to the wall of the house, then use that as backing to support a section of fence? This isn't as easy for me, trying to locate a stud through stucco, possible stucco breakage, ideally I would just dig a hole and set a fence post in concrete, but I'm open to ideas or advice on how it's normally done.

    These fences would span from the two sides of my house to the two front corners of my property.

    submitted by /u/wirez62
    [link] [comments]

    Converting LED Recessed Light to Pendant Light

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 09:15 PM PDT

    As the title suggests, I'd like to convert my LED recessed light into a pendant light. There are plenty of conversion kits out there for recessed lights outfitted for a socket, but I can't seem to find a conversion kit for LED lights. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/DirtyDirtyRudy
    [link] [comments]

    Ideas for historic house bathroom remodel?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 08:16 PM PDT

    I currently have a very odd master "bathroom" in which there's a bathtub in the middle of my bedroom and a toilet in a closet. Im planning on a massive dormer to extend outrage roof and add a full bathroom. I live in a historic house built in 1910 (received all the proper go ahead from the historic society) and want ideas on how to make a modern bathroom that still has some historic touches to it.

    Mainly the shower will be fully modern, but what about tile ideas, vanity (60-72 inches clearance) or any other ideas to make it cool. Thanks![housing pics](https://imgur.com/gallery/2z0MA4V)

    submitted by /u/Therndon25
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment