• Breaking News

    Wednesday, March 25, 2020

    Home security: Security risks of using Dahua gDMSS / iDMSSS / SmartPSS over the internet?

    Home security: Security risks of using Dahua gDMSS / iDMSSS / SmartPSS over the internet?


    Security risks of using Dahua gDMSS / iDMSSS / SmartPSS over the internet?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 01:11 AM PDT

    Dahua users will be familiar with gDMSS (Android), iDMSS (iOS), SmartPSS (Win PC) software clients for remote viewing and management of Dahua recorders over the default port 37777. The protocol has been around for at least 10 years.

    It used to be that you'd have to set up port-forwarding on your home router, and set up a DDNS, so that you can remote view your cameras over the internet while you are outside your home.

    I think more recent recorder models have a QR & UPnP (& maybe mediating DH server) procedure, so that no port-forwarding is needed, and it might work thru from home internet with dynamic IPs, without DDNS. (Can anyone confirm?)

    I looked in this Dahua PDF from 2018, "Product Security Hardening Guide V2.0.0".

    There is mention of setting up HTTPS, but I think this only secures web-access, and doesn't affect access from the above mentioned Dahua client apps.

    I could not find any info about whether the 37777 Dahua protocol is encrypted. Whether the password is ever transmitted in cleartext. How does everyone feel about this?

    submitted by /u/gluino
    [link] [comments]

    Help identify camera/next steps

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 04:45 PM PDT

    Hi everyone - my wife and I just closed on a home and moved in. This camera is installed but the contractor who flipped the house didn't tell us anything about it. Anyone have any clue what make/model this is or how I can use it? I'm assuming it's hard wired somewhere but honestly I have no idea where it's going. I'm guessing it's not actually usable, but I figured I'd at least ask! If nothing else it makes a decent deterrent until I get my own system in place.

    Here are the photos: https://imgur.com/gallery/YIH9cW7

    submitted by /u/DrJan_Itor_
    [link] [comments]

    Storage room safety

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 10:20 AM PDT

    I have a small storage room accessible by one steel door. I am the only one with access and the owner. This small storage room is located in a large shared underground parking structure. The door has a key lock. What can I do to make the room more secure? Thank you for any advice.

    submitted by /u/Meatball604
    [link] [comments]

    Secure your home with an advanced security system.

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 12:03 AM PDT

    Afraid of getting robbed? I suggest installing a home security system that includes security cameras, motion detectors, keyless entry, remote access, etc. To install a home security system call us at (757) 852-3300.

    submitted by /u/jbsva001
    [link] [comments]

    Need help!

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 02:15 PM PDT

    Newbie question on wired security cam systems

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 10:27 AM PDT

    I'm looking to purchase a surveillance system for my new home. I'm often gone for days on end and want that extra bit of security for my family.

    I'm thinking a wired system would be best for reliability and for the ability to store multiple TBs of video. However, the ability to remotely check in on cameras seems just as important.

    Is the ability to remotely check in or to receive movement notifications limited to Wi-Fi only systems? Or is it possible to get the best of both worlds?

    TIA

    submitted by /u/MissingLifeskills
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment