• Breaking News

    Thursday, March 26, 2020

    Home security: Looking to upgrade my doors security, have a few questions

    Home security: Looking to upgrade my doors security, have a few questions


    Looking to upgrade my doors security, have a few questions

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 08:20 PM PDT

    We live in a decent area and I've never had real reason to worry about crime in the 10 years I've been in my house, but with this pandemic shit going down my wife is worried what it may eventually lead to, so we want to beef up security a bit. Not that I ever think it'll get to that point, but for her peace of mind...

    We live in Florida so we already have hurricane Shutters for all our windows and sliders, but our front door has nothing. So it'd be nice to reinforce that for crime as well as for hurricane winds.

    Initially we just thought about putting up a bar barricade. She got some holders, screws, and some 2×4s. We ran into some concerns with that and did some further research

    After some googling I've seen a lot of suggestions to reinforce the frame/Jamb using a Reinforcement kit, and to possibly replace the deadbolt with a better grade.

    So my questions are

    1. How can I tell my current grade of deadbolt? What grade do I realistically need?

    2. Is the Reinforcement kit enough? Should additional Reinforcement be done?

    3. Is a barricade bar necessary or just overkill if we do the above? If we end up doing this where should be secure the holders to... Directly to the door casing or on the walls into the door studs?

    Or is there a better option(s) overall?

    Any advice is appreciated, thanks

    submitted by /u/JohnLocke815
    [link] [comments]

    Security tips for rural smaller home?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 10:56 AM PDT

    I'll be moving into a home soon that's rural. wifi is not always dependable.

    I am wondering if wired cameras would be better for me? My parents have a zosi system with dvr they said I can have but I'm not sure if this could be monitored from my cellphone?

    I do plan to get a Ring doorbell.

    I'm not sure a monitored security system would be worth it because I'm rural and police and ambulance take a long time to get here anyway.

    I'm planning to reinforce windows with bars at the top.

    Are those smart home locks worth it? Are there any risks such as wifi failing and unlocking your doors, or someone hacking your lock?

    I'm afraid to do everything with my phone due to being hacked.

    submitted by /u/cavs79
    [link] [comments]

    How do you have your front house lights set up?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 11:46 PM PDT

    Currently I have three patio lights and two garage lights on the front of the house which I manually turn on at dusk and off in the morning. They are all connected to the same circuit. I'm thinking about changing the setup but not sure what the best option is. I'm curious to hear how you all have yours setup and when you have them on.

    I was thinking about a few scenarios:

    1. Change all bulbs out to dusk-dawn bulbs and leave the switch on 24/7 so the lights are always on at night and off during the day.

    2. Swap them (or a couple of them) for motion lights and leave the switch on 24/7. Swap the others out for dusk-to-dawn so its a little darker at night but uses less energy. Then the motion lights come on as needed.

    3. Separately place some solar motion lights.

    4. Leave as is.

    I like the idea of having some light on at night as I think it helps deter people but I'm not sure if having all the lights on is necessary and I'm definitely up for saving some on the electrical bill if possible. Not interested is having too much tech hooked up where I need to use my phone to control the lights, etc.

    Thoughts?

    Appreciate any advice.

    submitted by /u/HistoricalLocksmith5
    [link] [comments]

    Lorex N841 Cameras Not Connecting

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 07:21 AM PDT

    Hello everybody. I apologize if this is in the incorrect place, but it seems as good as any.

    I have a Lorex N841 that I purchased from Costco in December of 2019. I'm just now getting around to hooking up the equipment (house was being remodeled) and I'm finding that the two cameras I ran with cables in the walls aren't functioning. I tested them out prior to sealing up the walls and they worked fine, but now they're not. I can understand potentially getting a drywall screw in one cable (the drywall crew was entirely incompetent) but it seems highly improbable that both cables, ran separately, have issues. I've tried other ports with no luck. I've connected one of the other six cameras in the package and it worked without issue.

    Has anybody else encountered this? There is zero chance I can re-run the CAT 5e due to the convoluted route I had to take and I'm not inclined to tear up my drywall again. I can reach the backside of one of the cameras (with great difficulty, it's way up under an eave and a bitch to get to) and the other camera is sealed into a box built into a wall.

    Also, and maybe this is related, maybe not, but I keep getting a notice to update the firmware, which I've done, but the notice continues and the firmware update number doesn't change.

    Thank you for you help!

    submitted by /u/04BluSTi
    [link] [comments]

    I have a webcam and i would like to use it for temporary surveillance, what are my options?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 01:44 PM PDT

    Sorry mods if this isn't the right place, please let me know and I can take it down.

    This isn't necessarily for home security but the principals are the same so hopefully some of you with hardware and software experience may be able to help.

    I have been having trouble with a 3d printer, to better understand what is happeneing I would like to record the entire printing process and save it to a hard drive. I do have a beefy computer that has enough RAM and disk space for moderate video editing, and I have a webcam as well. Is there some what that I can use them to record, for a long period of time (over a day most likely) and have that video file(s) saved to my desktop?

    Ideally I would like to have several smaller videos, preferably in 1 hour increments, so that i can quickly find what i am looking for. Again, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place, if someone knows a better sub to go to i will happily be on my way.

    Thank you guys so much

    Edit: I also just realized i have several Ring cameras from when I got swindled by ADT. they still function properly and I know there is a paid service for saving recordings but i never activated it and don't really care for them that much. But if it helps me figure this printing problem out I will be very open minded

    submitted by /u/ArmorGyarados
    [link] [comments]

    Usernames with restricted schedules reverting on GC3 on Alert360 with alarm.com

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 10:38 AM PDT

    This has been driving me up the wall and Alert360 can't figure it out. If I add a user to my panel with a restricted schedule (for example M-F 8:00am-5:00pm) the user name will revert from whatever I enter to "User #". The name reverts on the panel, Alert360's alarm.com portal and the mobile app. Any suggestions? It is always an uphill battle to get Alert360 to call alarm.com and most of the time the person I speak to at Alert360 wants to try "changing the names one more time".

    The name seems to revert at the time the restricted schedule starts. For example, if User 10 has a restricted schedule of M-F 8:00am-5:00pm and I change User 10's name to "Herbie Hancock" on Friday at 7:00pm, the name will persist until Monday at 8:00am when it reverts to "User 10".

    For obvious reasons I don't want to give these individuals unrestricted access, so that's not an option.

    My panel is running 3.1.3. Should I try updating to the latest version (appears to be 3.2.4.6725)? Do I understand correctly you have to upgrade firmware in step? Any reason an end user should not do the upgrade?

    If it makes sense to update the panel then would this be the right steps?
    3.1.3.6257
    3.2.0.6581
    3.2.1.6653
    3.2.3.6713
    3.2.4.6725

    submitted by /u/hillcountryfare
    [link] [comments]

    ADT Cameras

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 10:03 AM PDT

    Does anyone know how to troubleshoot ADT cameras ?

    Bought 3 cameras of facebook marketplace, and I cannot connect them for the life of me. Technician came out and could not figure it out either.

    Cameras light up and half the blinking lights, but cannot connect to the base. Any ideas ?

    submitted by /u/Powerlifter1
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment