• Breaking News

    Monday, February 1, 2021

    Home Improvement: My head is spinning is there a large difference between a $40 to $300 showerhead?

    Home Improvement: My head is spinning is there a large difference between a $40 to $300 showerhead?


    My head is spinning is there a large difference between a $40 to $300 showerhead?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 05:02 PM PST

    Saw brands such as Delta that offer such a variant of prices.

    submitted by /u/flickboogersdaily
    [link] [comments]

    The first 2 phone calls you should always make before starting a project

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 07:03 PM PST

    I am planning on adding a small addition to my house this summer. Today I called and talked to 1) the zoning department and 2) the building inspector. They always are very helpful and are happy when a DIYer homeowner calls before starting a project to ask about permitting and inspections. It also helps start a relationship with those people and makes life much easier when it comes time to get the actual inspections.

    I let them know what I was doing (adding mud room and porch) and zoning was able to give me a basic thumbs up that I am allowed to do an addition. (I wouldn't be hitting any size limitations or setbacks) The building inspector gave me the heads up that the town was in the process of updating to the newest electrical code, which has a change that will effect me. So now I have a list of permits and what I need to submit to start the project this summer. I also won't be caught off guard by the code change.

    TL;DR: Zoning and the inspectors like when you call them before you start a project and will give you a ton of very helpful tips.

    submitted by /u/Brom42
    [link] [comments]

    What type of contractor does one hire to do the roof venting for a bathroom exhaust vent?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 01:39 PM PST

    Husband is fine doing the electrical, but he isn't sure about venting through the roof. Would a general handyman know how to do this, or should we look for someone in a specific area of expertise, like a roofer?

    submitted by /u/knilock
    [link] [comments]

    Bike shed from old fence boarda

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 02:15 PM PST

    old fence boards become new bike shed

    I used some old fence boards, rails and posts to build a bike shed. Cut the rotten bottoms off old 4x4s to build a 4x6 base on some gravel. Put a scrap piece of 3/4" OSB on top of that and then used the old 2x4 fence rails to frame the shed walls and roof. I used nails removed from fence boards to attach them to shed. I just nailed em up and then cut off the extra rotten parts after. Was able to build the entire thing with scrap except the roof. Purchased a sheet of 7/16" OSB for roof along with roof paper, roof roll and flashing. Roof set me back about $100. You can prolly find someone throwing put scrap from a roofing job that would be plenty for a small shed. Made a door with more fence rails, put some hinges and a lock on there. Used threaded hooks to store three bikes vertically. And put a bike clamp on the side for repairs. Great use for an old fence rather than burning or discarding.

    submitted by /u/spencersoper
    [link] [comments]

    How I got rid of the smartest roof rat in my attic

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 12:58 AM PST

    Edit: Forgot to mention that the whole rat saga lasted for about 3 months with a lot of sleepless nights. Luckily it was a male so no offsprings. 🐀

    http://imgur.com/a/Zu38KJl

    One night I started hearing noise in the attic. Installed one of my Arlo cameras and sure thing, there was a rat running all over the attic. I have never had issues with rats before so I made few critical newby mistakes. I bought the cheap wooden victor trap and set it up. After few days the rat finally realised that the peanut butter smell is coming from the trap and started slowly testing it. To my surprise he licked the bait very careful so the trap didn't snap. I had to repeat this few times for a span of a week or so. This whole time he was driving me crazy scratching in the attic. There were times when he would disappear for days, so the waiting was infuriating. One evening I got the notification about the motion detection and started watching, this time the trap snapped and caught the rat, as I see this live I think: FINALLY!!! This wasn't too bad... But... He started pulling his head out and released himself. Next thing I do, I upgraded the trap with nails at the base with the sharp edges pointed up, set the trap and wait. Few days go by and the rat starts approaching the trap, after few tries of the peanut butter - SNAP, the rat is in the trap. I can't believe my eyes, he manages to push his front legs like doing push-ups and escapes again... This was my first mistake - using wooden traps.

    Next I buy plastic traps that have zigzag like teeth and set them up. For days and days the rat would approach the traps and run away immediately. He would smell the bait and figure something is fishy here. I started watching videos about rats reading blogs, articles and everything I could find. Weeks go by and the stupid ( smart ) rat doesn't want to get caught.

    I tried mix of plaster of paris, backing soda, ratX and nothing helped, the rat would eat the poison and disappear for few days, then get back and eat again.

    Next I try to have the traps unset but with bait so he can trust the traps. He hesitated for few days but eventually started eating the bait. After few days of feeding him, I set the traps, and guess what, he avoids them completely. I know rats are smart, but I can't imagine they are that smart. I unset the traps and wait, and yes he starts eating the bait again. Now I realize, this fella is not going to fall for these tricks, he learned his lesson, to catch him I need something more sophisticated.

    Ordered a small coil trap like a bear trap type that lays on the ground and the animal steps on it and gets his leg trapped. I removed one coil/spring because it was way too powerful and the contra tension to snap it would have to be bigger than a rat can produce. I engaged the trap and set it flat with the insulation ( cellulose ) in the attic right where the rat had one of his paths, as a bait I sprinkled sunflower seeds. For few days he would avoid that spot but eventually the temptation would be too big to resist. First few times he ate all the seeds around the trigger and would not step on it, he didn't see anything but he sure knew something is not right here. Next day I added more seeds in a way so the rat would have to step with his rear legs on the trigger ( more mass ) Later in the evening he returns and makes a fatal mistake, he got used with free food for the past few months now, he steps on the trigger and this time the trap is way too strong for him to escape...

    Few things to consider when dealing with rats. They are lot smarter than you think. They somehow visually recognize if the trap is set. They like sunflower seeds. They can smell the danger. They learn fast.

    Always use gloves and a respirator mask, their poop in dust form can be very dangerous. Before cleaning spray rat droppings with chlorine mixture to kill viruses and bacteria.

    submitted by /u/infinitus-pecunia
    [link] [comments]

    Contractor took my deposit - is it worth it to go after him? Does anyone ever get their money back?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 06:51 PM PST

    Contractor took my deposit, has had only excuses or no communication for not showing up for scheduled work day and time and isn't answering my calls or texts at all now. It's $2500... and it's been a month since the scheduled start date.

    Should I just cut my losses or is there any chance to get this money back? He did no work at all.

    I paid the deposit partially over a bank app and the rest cash with his text messages saying he's gotten the money, and me asking for an updated receipt and him saying he will send it but he never did. So there is acknowledgment of his having the deposit. I am so angry with him but don't know what to do next.

    In New York, this amount is under small claims court. But he did no work, can he be in trouble for theft? Fraud? And even if I decide to do small claims or something else is there even a guarantee that I will get my money back? Should I just give up now? I saved for a whole year to get this project done I feel like a complete idiot.

    submitted by /u/Scarbarella
    [link] [comments]

    Window is leaking and seeping through the walls. How bad does this look? How much to repair typically?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 02:16 PM PST

    First-time owner and only lived in the place for less than 6 months and problems are already beginning to surface. How bad does the leak look? I can see the paints bubbling up already

    Images

    submitted by /u/2stopsLower
    [link] [comments]

    Are Samsung appliances really that bad?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 07:24 AM PST

    We purchased (yet to be delivered) a higher end Samsung fridge. We are really excited to have the French uppers and pullout freezer. But after reading on here everyone hates on Samsung appliances. Are they really THAT bad? Or is it just all appliances aren't what they use to be? I have whirlpool appliances that are so so, but don't absolutely breakdown. Can I expect the same good but not perfect from Samsung?

    Little additional information, we are planning to sell in 2-3 years and are probably purchasing the extended warranty to cover ourselves and the next home owner.

    submitted by /u/spiritofthesquirrels
    [link] [comments]

    Milgard Sliding Door Latch stuck in the locked position - this company just doesnt help. Dont buy milgard.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 04:55 PM PST

    past post here. https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/hla7fv/milgard_patio_door_latch_stuck_in_locked_position/

    Hello guys - at my wit's end here dealing with Milgard. The sliding doors are in perfect shape, but one of the latches is in the locked position with the door being locked.

    Here are the issues:

    1. Cant remove the latch, the screws of the entire mechanism is on the side of the door, and that's not accessible if the door is closed. This is basically an engineering flaw from 20 years ago that is STILL on the doors today!
    2. Milgard won't really help. Called them, sent emails, they keep sending me to a local Milgard distributor. Except that the distributor themselves are not keen to service anything Milgard on account of how the company has treated them.
    3. Called in 2 people separately to take a look at the door, and they both said they cant fix it. Their recommendation would be to replace the door.

    You have to be kidding me at this point! The latch is what doesn't work. The doors are practically immaculate and work great. Why should a whole door be replaced when its just a removable latch that is the issue?!

    I have once again sent a lengthy email to Milgard, and I cant comprehend why they're so reluctant to stand behind their own product when they keep touting a lifetime warranty.

    I would advise people to wisely spend their hard-earned money with other door providers.

    From your experience - would you agree that if a sliding door latch doesnt work, it doesnt make sense to replace the whole door? Any ideas on what you all would or could do?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Nav_the_gamer
    [link] [comments]

    Uh how much longer is my water going to taste like the PB Blaster we used to repair a faucet leak?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 05:33 AM PST

    Galvanized pipe and fittings run all through our '60's house, and while replacing a vanity this weekend, we ran into a stuck elbow on the cold water faucet supply nipple. Googling led us to us try whatever penetrating oil we have, (after attempts with slow steady pressure, then brute force, then torch while cussing). My husband is a weekend mechanic, so PB Blaster it was. The elbow was still in perfect condition, but gunked up with deposits and such, so I soaked it some more, wire brushed, rinse/repeat until clean.

    I rinsed it a million times bc I know that stuff stinks....but only the cold water was on at the time. I'm slowly realizing it's called penetrating OIL and this may now be a problem, and I should have used soap and hot water.

    This morning I went to rinse after brushing my teeth and almost puked; it was like someone sprayed a mouthful of this stuff directly in there.

    We used it only on the cold water supply to the bathroom faucet.

    Will this eventually rinse away? How much cancer did I just give myself? Please help.

    I really really don't want to take it off again if I can help it....we barely made it through this project with our sanity, lol.

    submitted by /u/xkisses
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone please help me understand my messy walls?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 07:53 PM PST

    https://i.imgur.com/OjebRG6.jpg

    1920s home, this room is an attic space turned living area. I have no idea what is going on here. My guess is lath and plaster with 100 years of plaster, wall paper and paint on top? Maybe some patching?

    I am looking to install paneling (hardboard) with construction adhesive/nails to some layer of this mess to hide the bad walls for now.

    Can I tear (some of? all of?) this back, prime with Kilz, and install the paneling over it without risk of it falling down? Some will NOT be resting on the floor, but instead will need to be fully supported by the nails and glue-is this feasible? If this IS plaster-can I still use a nail gun?

    I know the long term solution is probably new drywall but unfortunately that isn't an option right now. Owners just need to hold it together to continue renting it for a few more years until they ultimately sell as it-the property is very valuable, the house-not so much.

    I have little background in this stuff, just hoping I can paste a new wall to my old wall and call it a day. Got the idea from a contractor type who came in and took a look and seemed to think I could do it but I am wondering if I am in over my head.

    Thank you!

    Edit: The top layer of wallpaper is bubbling and peeling off on its own accord, so I don't know if anything can be adhered to that directly

    https://i.imgur.com/GR1Zoj3.jpg

    https://swampsharks13.imgur.com/all/

    submitted by /u/karrmageddon
    [link] [comments]

    Building a deck!

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 09:30 PM PST

    Hello 👋🏼 I am looking to build a deck for my backyard. I have some basic understanding of starting my layout and acquiring materials. I'm at the point of needing to level my ground, Any advice? (About anything related to building the deck )

    submitted by /u/SnooFloofs4235
    [link] [comments]

    What's The Proper Way To Replace Shingles That Blew Away During a Storm?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 09:08 PM PST

    https://imgur.com/J72oAnK

    Recent storm blew off a fine row of shingles. Is it as simple as getting some shingles (Home Depot?) and tar to stick them in the same place they flew off of?

    Should the underneath material below protect it for a few days from seeping water before I can get supplies and secure a way up there to fix?

    submitted by /u/MountainMaverick90
    [link] [comments]

    How to reattach vent register

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 01:15 PM PST

    This one screw has nothing to latch onto or screw into. Any easy fix? (See photo below)

    vent cover image

    submitted by /u/buddha-bouy
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for Solid Shower Pan with Tile Bench

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 05:55 PM PST

    Hi

    I currently have a 32"x32" fiberglass walk in shower in my bathroom. There is a closet behind it I plan to remove, so I can expand the length to 60". I want to build a tile bench, but am struggling with deciding how I want to do the floor. To me, the less grout the better, so ideally, I would get a nice solid shower tray (something like Silestone (https://www.silestoneusa.com/shower-trays/)) and tile a bench as well. Then tile on the walls.

    However, with wanting to install a bench, are there any options or methods to incorporate a fully waterproofed tile bench when you aren't tiling the floor? I know there are acrylic options with a pan/bench combo, but I'm looking for options that give a modern solid shower base, but add the tile bench. My big concern is waterproofing as well as having the flange or raised portion of the shower pan at the bottom of the bench.

    • Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?
    • Any suggestions for solid shower bases (not acrylic or fiberglass) that I could incorporate with a tiled bench? I couldn't find much info about Silestone even though it looks nice.
    • Should I just bite the bullet and do a traditional tiled floor to make this easier (probably Kerdi or TileRedi for waterproofing the floor).

    Total budget around $5k for the 60x32" shower (ideally..).

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/AcrobaticCoat
    [link] [comments]

    In over my head... literally. Trying to prep 9 foot ceilings for paint and I'm 5 feet tall.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 01:32 PM PST

    I had popcorn ceilings removed. For budget, time and stupid (hindsight is 20/20) reasons, they were removed but not sanded or plastered smooth, I thought I'd be able to manage that having done a decent job on walls before. But it seems to be too rough for sanding alone and my plaster looks awful, and that needs to be sanded too...and it's a never-ending cycle of making things worse. What is a reasonable amount to pay to prep and paint a ceiling in a 400 square foot room? I've gotten a couple quotes but I'm being quoted the same as what it was when the popcorn was still there...which I paid 1500 to have removed. So frustrated, its exhausting, and messy. I'm a bit of an idiot for not realizing it was going to be hard to do.

    submitted by /u/Accomplished-Story67
    [link] [comments]

    How to add cover plate when granite not cut enough?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 05:02 PM PST

    Granite guys didn't cut the hole quite big enough and now the screws to hold the cover on cannot go in because granite is right there. What would you do? Gorilla glue?

    http://imgur.com/gallery/A8wetLg

    submitted by /u/gingertastic19
    [link] [comments]

    Support subfloor at room edges

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 05:45 PM PST

    I had to remove some subfloor for access to plumbing but also because it was old and spongy. Now I'm looking to replace it but unsure how to properly support it at the edges of the room.

    I guess the proper thing to do would be to install more blocking between the joists anywhere the subfloor would be unsupported.. but it's a super awkward angle to get a drill in while trying to hold the block tight in place. Suggestions?

    Image 1 Image 2

    submitted by /u/Rotanev
    [link] [comments]

    Finding Pins In Plated Neighborhood Help

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 05:05 PM PST

    So we are looking to hopefully build a fence in the near future due to some issues with neighbors and because we would like to get a dog one day.

    I've gotten the general layout satellite image of our property from the county accessor. After speaking with the building commission they gave me the breakdown of the regulations around building and said the next step is to have our exact property line.

    Tomorrow I'm planning to get a metal detector from a local rental company and find the pins. From what I've seen online and how I'm understanding it is I go to the corner of our yard using the satellite image and start using the detector to find the pin. Is that all? I feel like that seems too simple, but it's definitely possible I am overthinking it.

    submitted by /u/MrPureinstinct
    [link] [comments]

    Roofmaxx or new roof?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 08:04 PM PST

    My roof is over 15 years old, not looking forward to having to replace it. Came across a thing called roofmaxx which is supposed to extend the life of your roof for cheap. Anyone have any experience with this?

    submitted by /u/fanosffloyd
    [link] [comments]

    Yet another "load bearing wall" post / question.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 05:45 PM PST

    Just looking for quick opinions on whether or not this is bearing.

    https://imgur.com/a/jIkGyAr

    I'm talking about the half/pony wall with beams in the middle of the room

    It doesn't go to the ceiling, but does have a beam that extends across the room. Would like to remove it if possible or maybe... leave the beams and just remove the wall portion out of the middle? Do you think that may be possible if indeed you believe it IS load bearing

    Of course, I know a structural engineer is my best bet. Just looking for opinions.

    Anyway, I appreciate you checking it out.

    submitted by /u/dismahthrowawaymayne
    [link] [comments]

    Grout Bottom of Backsplash?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 07:47 PM PST

    I'm ready conflicting opinions. My backsplash was grouted and it's cracking. Can I just remove it and caulk instead?

    submitted by /u/Stauvenhagian
    [link] [comments]

    Contractor requesting payment after damage product discovered?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 02:34 PM PST

    I am currently having windows and a door replaced. Damage to the new door frame was discovered, by me, after it had almost been completely installed. It was reported to the installers and management was then notified. Shortly after that, I received a phone call that, a new frame would be ordered, however, 90% of the payment was still due after the windows were installed. I found this extremely odd, but I was informed it was in the contract. Sadly, it was indeed there:

    In the event of a complaint, dispute, or concern of: 1) defective product, 2) defective operation, or 3) installation or cosmetic concern, the customer is required to contact XXXXX, to make record of such complaint, concern and/or mention. Customer is required, and agrees to pay for work completed less 10% of balance owed as a withholding until said defect, concern or complaint is addressed by XXXXX, at which time remaining 10% will be surrendered upon complaint, concern, or defect resolution.

    The new frame is going to take 4-6 weeks+ to get here.

    The company is fairly large, I was not expecting this.

    I thought it was common practice to pay the remainder of the balance when the ENTIRE contact was fulfilled?, am I wrong?

    submitted by /u/zefpomp
    [link] [comments]

    What is this "thing" on my porch wall?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 04:42 PM PST

    Recently got a new house with a porch and on the exterior wall is this black covering or plug?

    Any idea what it could be?

    http://imgur.com/a/tVcKRD8

    submitted by /u/iGameDude
    [link] [comments]

    Can a vent a bathroom exhaust vent to a garage?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 06:54 PM PST

    I am in the process of buying a house that needs some work. One of the issues is none of the four bathrooms have exhaust vents. The three main bathrooms I have my plans figured out. The question is the bathroom in the walk out basement. I don't really want to try and run it up through 2 more stories to the roof. But the bathroom shares a wall with the garage. Could I vent through the wall into the garage? I figure the garage gets enough air exchange when the doors open and shut that a little moisture from the occasional shower won't make a difference. Should be a lot less moisture than parking a car after driving in the rain, right?

    submitted by /u/Justalittlebitfluffy
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment