• Breaking News

    Saturday, January 2, 2021

    Home security: Should I buy a security camera, or a locking doorknob for my bedroom?

    Home security: Should I buy a security camera, or a locking doorknob for my bedroom?


    Should I buy a security camera, or a locking doorknob for my bedroom?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 01:32 PM PST

    Renter here who shares a house with 5 recovering addicts. My bedroom doorknob does not have a key so I cannot lock the door when I leave (obviously not ideal due to the type of people I'm sharing a home with). The ordeal right now is that im broke, and only have the money for one at the moment, a new doorknob, or a security camera. I will eventually buy both, but I'm curious which one would be better to get first. I'm thinking the door knob, but I'm concerned because they can easily be opened with a credit card (and trust me all of my roommates have experience with that because, y'know, drug addicts.). And while the camera would catch anyone who's going into my room, it wouldn't prevent people from coming in. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/alexjonesfanclub
    [link] [comments]

    Hit me with some knowledge - cables per I/POE cams

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 12:47 AM PST

    So I haven't been able to determine if I'm setting myself up for problems on not with the way I'm conceptualizing my camera network when working with Poe cameras.

    Does having 1 cat5 cable that runs from the nvr -> router -> cat5 across building -> poe switch feeding 2 cameras + poe powered wifi bridge >><<other bridge half with 3 more cameras

    I keep seeing people mention you should run cat5 from the nvr to every cam individually if you can, so I'm trying to determine how much I'm impacting myself but having all my cameras fed from 1 cable into a switch. Besides making sure your power draws aren't too great for the switch to put out divvied up across ports used, is there some other reason it would detrimental to have your cameras plugged into switches that only have 1 physical cable going from them to the nvr/router?

    submitted by /u/Veryance
    [link] [comments]

    I'm looking for a camera that does this but I don't know what it's called.

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 08:44 PM PST

    https://imgur.com/a/jkRNMtM

    In this image, provided by LifeHackster on Youtube, you can see that most of the image is lit with infrared, but some areas, like the light across the street, this house's light, and the street light down the road are in color. This is real color, not infrared. It's like black parts in the color image are replaced with the infrared image. I'd like to know what this is called. For reasons, I can't rely on a motion activated light for color. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Ewilson546
    [link] [comments]

    Had a new year day attempted b&e

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 01:03 PM PST

    UK

    Had some idiot try to do a b&e on parents house in broad day light while we sat down for new years day family meal.

    I spotted the birk and chased him but he scaled a fee high fences and was never seen again.

    Fortunately 3 neighbours identified him as someone whose been casing the house for a week.

    Police took details but stated nothing they can do etc. But they advised a cctv cam setup out back.

    Was wondering what be good. I'd like to have a cam on the garden and on the alley behind the house but not sure of legality of filming a public path.

    But no point having footage of the trespasser if I can't see what he was up to before and where he went after.

    I felt so stupid not having video to show police and a way to identify anyone if they did it again.

    Also as parents house ...be nice if the cctv also covered wildlife as they get badgers and foxes etc. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone and make it all less scary for them...as they are scared.

    Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/ilivedownyourroad
    [link] [comments]

    Best android motion detection apk

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 11:45 PM PST

    I'm looking to setup an old phone with motion detection to catch a thief in the house. Recently we let someone stay with us and things are disappearing cigs, food, stupid stuff if you asked we'd give it to them. When it vanishes they sware they didn't do it and others catch the blame. So I figured if I catch them in action it would "A" get rid of the person and "B" give me something to do with these old phones junk phones that sit around.

    What is some good ideas I could set these old phones up for?

    What are some good apks for motion detection that I can send pictures or videos to say mega, or dubox cloud maybe even email?

    submitted by /u/gmycboogie
    [link] [comments]

    New to monitored security systems, seeking recommendations for my specific needs outlined below?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 01:35 PM PST

    So I'll be moving soon, and putting my home up for sale, and I suspect a good possibility the home may be left vacant at least for part of that time until it sells.

    So I'm most likely going to install a monitored security system for peace of mind while it's vacant and I'm 1,700 miles away, and also to increase the sale value potentially.

    I know there's a handful of companies out there besides ADT, but since I'm so new to it, I was hoping I could get recommendations from others that have used some of the other ones.

    I'm not against DIY installs at all, especially if that saves like $100 or more I'm fine with that, but I just need something RELIABLE that monitors the doors (2 doors) and windows (7 windows) for unauthorized entry/glass damage, and possibly some kind of fire detection/alert. I don't really care about monoxide alarms or anything since nobody's living there and I don't have any gas or propane appliances anyway.

    I have no need to control any smart devices or anything, just primarily looking for protection from unauthorized entry or vandalism.

    Thank you in advance for your input.

    submitted by /u/Rona11212020
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment