• Breaking News

    Friday, January 1, 2021

    Home Improvement: Thought my house was drafty or the flippers did a bad job with insulation. Turns out my windows open down from the top and many were cracked open slightly. Check your windows

    Home Improvement: Thought my house was drafty or the flippers did a bad job with insulation. Turns out my windows open down from the top and many were cracked open slightly. Check your windows


    Thought my house was drafty or the flippers did a bad job with insulation. Turns out my windows open down from the top and many were cracked open slightly. Check your windows

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 01:14 PM PST

    Had my windows like this for a year before noticing, surprisingly no water leaked in during rains. Both the top and bottom panes of glass are able to slide up and down, before this i've only ever seen windows where th bottom pane can slide up. Only noticed with strong winds rattling the blinds today

    On one hand RIP my gas/electric bills, on the other the house is warmer now :)

    submitted by /u/vaeatwork
    [link] [comments]

    Sharing my plumbing disaster

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 05:29 AM PST

    This seems like a good day to share. My wife's grandparents wanted a new kitchen sink. Old house, probably 1940's. I can do that because I have tools. And, I grew up watching my Dad install a toilet and solder pipe and fix everything in the house. He installed commercial boilers in a previous career and he made everything look easy. Now it's my turn, right?

    After disconnecting the supply lines, I laid under the sink and removed all the little screw clamps holding sink to counter. That was easy. I climbed out and stood up.

    The sink dropped straight down to the floor. Straight down like a cartoon. It drove the P-trap (which I had not disconnected) through the floor into the basement. At this point I'm happy to be alive but terrified at the damage I've caused. Step 1: Beg my wife to keep Grandma and Grandpa out of the kitchen so they couldn't see what I did. Step 2: call my Dad, who lived close by. I asked him to come over, with his tools. I also asked him to act very cheerful and relaxed. He popped in a few minutes later with a big smile and somehow the Grandparents didn't panic. Or, maybe they did panic, and they were too polite to say so.

    We went down to the basement. The plummeting sink had destroyed the drain plumbing all the way to the wall. We assessed the damage and casually left the house to buy lots of parts. Grandma and Grandpa were so kind: surely they knew something was up. I helped Dad repair the damage and then I helped him replace the sink and the kitchen counter. Turns out the counter was rotted away from years of water damage.

    No one died, so I think the job was a success.

    submitted by /u/nicompnicompnicomp_
    [link] [comments]

    When purchasing a home, make sure to clean the appliances before purchasing a new one... my $900 vacuuming job?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 01:57 PM PST

    Oh. My. Gawsh!

    The poor fridge has been struggling, and I was actually considering moving the purchase to the top of the Project List.

    Until it dawned on m me - all the neglect I've found around the house itself, most likely carried over to the appliances, too!

    Spent a few hours and saved $900-$1,500 that I didn't want to spend yet. (I need to remove the hot water tank before I can get a new fridge, as modern units are 3" wider now.)

    Images not for the squeamish.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/fMSL3gA

    Happy New Year to the poor fridge, may you breathe well this year so you can retire to Beer Fridge Duty next Autumn!

    submitted by /u/MissouriBlue
    [link] [comments]

    Remember, if you have holiday Inflatables, lay them out in the sun a but so they're totally dry before storage.

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 12:44 PM PST

    Basically, treat them like a tent. Don't wanna unpack stuff later and find mold.

    submitted by /u/HawkeyeFLA
    [link] [comments]

    HELP! I spilled two gallons of water on my carpet, didn't notice, and now my room smells like mildew

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 03:53 PM PST

    I rent a room in a house, and my humidifier leaked 2 gallons of water onto the carpet while I was sleeping. I didn't noticed until two days later, when that spot was wet. It's now completely dry, and my room stinks.
    Will this smell go away? Can I fix this without telling my landlord I f*cked up their carpet??

    Also, not sure if this matters, but the carpet is at least 10 years old or more.

    submitted by /u/th3cfitz
    [link] [comments]

    First time painting room! Need advice.

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 08:40 PM PST

    Hey all!

    Decided to repaint/remodel my girlfriends room for her as a gift for the holidays and everything is turning out great considering it is my first time and I pretty much learned everything off Youtube.

    I have one problem whatsoever - the paint job that was previously done is terrible, as most of the ceiling corners got splattered with the colors of the wall due to the sloppy work.

    After painting the walls, due to the color of the previous paint (nasty washed out indigo blue/purple) the imperfections are very noticeable where the top of the wall touches the ceiling.

    What is the best way that I can fix this? I've gotten mixed advice like repaint the whole ceiling, prime the spots, or do a touchup with nail polish remover(?). I am leaning towards getting a small brush and retouching the spots but I am just worried about finding the right shade to match and I would love to learn more tips and tricks from all you expert DIY and home improvers!

    Paint problem: https://imgur.com/gallery/BPYOUqx

    Room before and after: https://imgur.com/gallery/RPien9A

    Any advice (even anything I can do to further upgrade the room) would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/Funnyliciouss
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best way to build floating shelves?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 08:19 PM PST

    I have a walk-in pantry which is 8ft x 5ft. I want to install L-shaped floating shelves, 1.5 to 2in thick, 10 to 12in deep, which can hold a fair bit of weight (pantry stuff, canned goods, small appliances). Should I use 2x12s, MDF, hollow core doors? How to attach?

    submitted by /u/burn622
    [link] [comments]

    Hanging 300 to 400 lbs of various stuff on garage wall?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 03:43 PM PST

    I need to hang some water filters and various other stuff.

    [Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/YB5COaq.jpg)

    Is this enough support? or am I in overkill?

    submitted by /u/WhataNoobUser
    [link] [comments]

    Plumbing - water line

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 06:26 PM PST

    I have to rerun my main water line from point of entry into the house. Currently comes in 3/4in from the city, reduces right away to 1/2in copper runs about 25ft to the back of the house where it then feeds all fixtures/appliances.

    Any benefits to carry that 3/4in line all the way to the back before splitting it down to 1/2in?

    House is 60yrs old, copper throughout. I'll slowly be changing all the plumbing in the house.

    submitted by /u/Governorgavin
    [link] [comments]

    Vent in garage

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 10:07 PM PST

    In the house we bought last year there is a vent in the garage, kinda like the ones for a call space. Is there reason I shouldn't block it off to help regulate temperature?

    There is no gas appliances.

    submitted by /u/scubasteveee89
    [link] [comments]

    Insulating around electric conduit

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 05:58 PM PST

    There is an electric conduit running to the water meter in my basement and I'm trying to determine the best way to insulate around it and fill the gap it lies in between foam boards. I decided to not snug the foam boards against it on either side because I wasn't sure if it was safe to do so.

    Pic: https://i.imgur.com/QQyabaT.jpg

    submitted by /u/bp_pow
    [link] [comments]

    Sewage back up

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 03:41 PM PST

    I am house sitting and unfortunately today there was a back up from the city's sewer system into the home through several rooms. The home owner is trying to coordinate how this will be resolved with the city and with homeowners insurance but being that it's a holiday weekend, not much can happen immediately.

    The home is a mix of carpet and laminate flooring. I used my Shop Vac to get up as much water/sewage as I could. I picked up area rugs and set them outside. I left the ceiling fans on and turned the HVAC system fan on. I can't leave the windows open right now as it's below freezing outside. I took everything off of the floor in or near the sewage. Is there anything else I should do until professional help comes?

    submitted by /u/christina0001
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for feedback reframing our kitchen door

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 07:17 PM PST

    Gutted the kitchen and found that the framing for the kitchen door leading to the back yard seemed to be lacking. Having never framed a door before in my life, I resorted to google images to try my best to improve what was there!

    From what I know, it seems like there used to be a sliding patio door, and a "contractor" was hired to install this door. I'm guessing they never removed drywall to do the job properly, and as a consequence of such, landed on this improper solution.

    All framing is done with 2"x6". The header is constructed from two pieces of 2"x6", laminated with 1/2" plywood in the middle. I screwed everything in using #8x3" deck screws.

    All feedback is appreciated!

    Framing Improvement for kitchen door https://imgur.com/gallery/ksAY1FR

    submitted by /u/well-lit-closet
    [link] [comments]

    Why do I have light peeking through garage door?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 04:23 PM PST

    My garage was completely dark during the day, but now I can see light coming through.

    I'm wondering if there's a way to fix it? My concern is cold air is creeping into the garage. I'm currently trying to diagnose why my guest rooms above the garage are always cold, and suspect this may have something to do with it?

    https://i.imgur.com/Wfps5Ii.jpg

    submitted by /u/FinalFantasy-69
    [link] [comments]

    Kitchen Island plumbing

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 06:59 PM PST

    I plan to replace my kitchen island (new configuration). The existing island is L-shaped with a sink/dishwasher and the drain vent line goes up through a riser to the roof. I don't want the riser, so I'm looking at other options. I'll probably hire a plumber for this, but want to know more so I can avoid mistakes. Please share your wisdom and experience :).

    submitted by /u/Tricia_m
    [link] [comments]

    Fix gap in subfloor that extends under a wall?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 03:42 PM PST

    Remodeling a house, first (and maybe last) time. Subfloor in bathrooms was cut out for plumbing. The cuts extend beyond the general floor area and beneath the wall (doesn't extend into adjacent rooms).

    I was thinking about putting in some blocking both parallel and perpendicular to the joists to create enough width for the subfloor to rest on. And then not bother with what is missing under the walls.

    Thoughts?

    pictures

    submitted by /u/ozwegoe
    [link] [comments]

    What is this thing by the front door?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 03:40 PM PST

    This thing is on the wall by the front door, about six feet from the floor, with "Lift Up" written on it: [Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/7p4Igys.jpg). Anyone knows what it is?

    submitted by /u/IronPotato123
    [link] [comments]

    Tv mount on shiplap

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 08:33 PM PST

    I have shiplap walls behind my sheetrock, i have no idea where my studs are or how far they are spaced, stud finders Dont work on shiplap, well at least the one i have (went to attic to potentially look down to see studs but cant see the stud spacing)... My tv is 110lbs and the mount is about 40 or 50 lbs itself..

    Anyone have a tv mounted to shiplap and not studs? Will toggle bolts work? Any advice is useful

    submitted by /u/hardensbeard713
    [link] [comments]

    How do I replace my ceiling fan with a light fixture?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 03:53 PM PST

    The fan and it's light were controlled with switches on the fan. The new light fixture doesn't have any switches on it and needs to be controlled by a wall switch.

    I have a light switch near the fixture that doesn't do anything at the moment. I wonder if it's for the fixture but was disconnected when the fan was installed. Can I re-wire the light switch to see if it will control the ceiling fixture?

    Here are pictures of the switch and the ceiling fixture.

    submitted by /u/Gayrub
    [link] [comments]

    Best Place to buy Schluter

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 03:35 PM PST

    I'm redoing my bathroom and will be throwing in new heating and shower kits by Schluter. My problem is that prices for any of this stuff are everywhere... their site sells a wifi thermostat for $300, while I've found the same one on Amazon for $180. It's the same way for all of the shower kits.

    I'll be doing a lot of water proofing before my tiling so I will be ordering a lot of Schluter products. Where is the best place for me to get everything while not getting ripped off?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Brood10
    [link] [comments]

    What are a suggested list of building tools for a first time home owner?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 05:02 PM PST

    I want to be able to do home improvement projects, i.e. backsplash, pendant lights, replace carpet and install hardwood, wainscot living room (don't know if that's spelled correctly), add shiplap, build a small mud room in the entry way, add cabinets to the laundry.

    submitted by /u/ctalal
    [link] [comments]

    Question on proper way to hook up dryer vent?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 07:11 PM PST

    So from what I have read the male/crimped connections should be pointed away from the dryer side so that the lint wont catch on the ridges.

    The problem I have run into on multiple occasions is where the wall vent outlet is installed incorrectly, as a male/crimped. In that case, if you connect the dryer hose by sliding it over the wall vent outlet (sticking out of the wall), you have a place where lint can potentially collect inside the connection.

    My question is are there valid ways to deal with this problem that don't require you to completely replace the wall vent outlet?

    I was thinking of putting an extender over the wall vent outlet, and then using foil tape (on the inside of the connection) to cover up the rough edges which are pointing towards the dryer. Would this be an acceptable solution? (Not sure if its ok to put foil tape on the inside)

    As a side note, I've had this situation twice and both times the stores who installed my dryer just slid the dryer hose over the crimped/male wall vent outlet...

    submitted by /u/noodlesOnDemand
    [link] [comments]

    Help with drainage plan

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 07:09 PM PST

    Please see Imgur link below:

    https://imgur.com/a/CuOqABK

    I want to allow this to drain. The water is coming off the driveway and also from the grass. Unfortunately I don't have a great place to discharge the water. I was thinking about a French drain, but I don't know whether I'll need a good discharge location or if the water will just drain into the ground.

    I know this probably isn't enough info for a good opinion. Happy to answer questions and I appreciate the help!

    submitted by /u/Agnt_Michael_Scarn
    [link] [comments]

    Soundproofing my house

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 07:09 PM PST

    Sadly the people in my area love to blast their music at all hours of the night. Are these good ideas for sound insulation?

    • Seal Chimney up (Don't use it, has a bad damper, too)
    • Flappy thing in kitchen exaust fan (Currently its just an open pipe)
    • Drywall Patches (I have a few bits of open drywall in rooms I have repaired)
    • Bathroom ext door fix (Has a gap)
    • More attic Insulation
    • Caulk bottom of baseboards (Would this help?)
    • Seal Gable Vents? I have ridge vent so I'm not sure they even should still be open
    • Solid Interior Doors
    • More in wall insulation
    • Extend Fence past bedroom
    • Taller, Better Fence (Does this help much?)
    • Shed in the way of noisy people (Surely throwing a shed I want anyway in that direction would help?)
    • More wood under windows (If I add another layer of plywood under the windows that stick out, could help?)
    • Thicker Fence with no gaps
    • More Plants around the house

    What do you think?

    submitted by /u/8QqzFEuKrY
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment