• Breaking News

    Saturday, January 2, 2021

    Home security: Are CCTV cameras even with it if people wear masks / covering faces?

    Home security: Are CCTV cameras even with it if people wear masks / covering faces?


    Are CCTV cameras even with it if people wear masks / covering faces?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 02:19 PM PST

    There have been a few postings on nextdoor where people are wearing full face coverings / hoods when committing crime. This seems to be more prevalent with what seems to be professional theft, particularly catalytic converter theft (4 people show up, 2 on lookout, while 1-2 people do the theft), or home burglaries.

    With cameras becoming more common / accessible to typical consumer, are they still useful to help ID thieves? I imagine criminals will just adapt and start covering their faces -- pandemic also changed things since it's not suspicious anymore to have masks.

    Cameras also seem to be less of a deterrent since these "pros" don't seem to care. I'm curious what others think?

    submitted by /u/singleskincell
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on placement of security camera or lighting

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 01:25 PM PST

    Hi,

    I'm looking to install either a Ring security camera or lighting on the side of my house. This area is poorly lit in the evening and as a result, tends to attract unwanted loitering on the street side of the fence. My thought is with better lighting or obvious camera, it would deter guys from being there after dark.

    The issue - I'm not sure where to affix the light or camera. The house is pretty far from the fence so a camera wouldn't catch much detail. I'm wary of installing anything on the exterior of the fence since someone could just pull it off...

    Any ideas? Maybe installing a 2x4x8 post? Or something that I can use to affix the camera/light to the interior of the fence and have it pointed outward?

    https://imgur.com/a/jo79w6T

    submitted by /u/Dosho12
    [link] [comments]

    Amcrest repair/replacement

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 10:20 AM PST

    I was going to mount my bullet camera near the front door and ended up dropping it on the cement cracking it on the inside where the screw tightens it that allows you to pivot the camera. Is it possible to replace this being the cord runs through the middle or are my options a janky setup to try to make it work or just getting a new camera? It wasn't expensive like $60 I think but would still like to fix or replace if possible for cheaper.

    submitted by /u/ghc86
    [link] [comments]

    Does my security camera plan make sense?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 01:20 PM PST

    For a non-profit youth center we are looking to start adding security cameras throughout the building in various phases. To stay cost efficient, we would like to do the setup completely DIY. I get a little confused about how to set everything up (mainly in the conversation of NVR vs. Blue Iris with a PC). I think I would like to go with BI, but I don't want the cameras to use up out bandwidth... Here's the plan so far, let me know if it makes sense:

    14 IP cameras connected to an 18-port PoE Switch --> PoE Switch connected via Ethernet directly to PC with BI installed and multiple 7200rpm HDD's --> PC connected to Network via second Ethernet (using a USB to Ethernet adapter) --> Access BI live-feed and recordings from another PC on network (or possibly mobile app?).

    Would this setup work? Would I be able to setup notifications through the BI software?

    Thanks for any support and suggestions!

    submitted by /u/GuardianFerret
    [link] [comments]

    Window Security - Thoughts on additional recommendations ?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 06:55 PM PST

    Best outdoor camera ? [residential]

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 08:46 AM PST

    There are so many different type of camera and set up that its all super overwhelming. I am super new to security camera.

    What I am looking for is 2 camera, one for my front yard and one for the back. I prefer not having to pay for monthly subscription or cloud storage or anything.

    The purpose of the camera is

    - night light for intruders (couple of month ago my neighbor had an intruder and we failed to catch him due to their camera being dead and us not having one).

    - to see when my packages arrived / who been stealing them (-_-)

    - when there are available parking in front my home (when you have a shared driveway its nice parking on the street but in front of your house)

    Budget friendly suggestion would be great ! :)

    submitted by /u/ydefrx3
    [link] [comments]

    My parents' house was broken into but nothing was taken.... should they be worried about anything?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 01:10 AM PST

    My parents live in a primary apartment most of the time and have a small house a few hours away that they go to mostly on the weekends.

    A few months ago, the house was broken into in their absence. As far as I heard/remember, the door lock was broken or something like that and it was obvious someone had gotten in. (It's an old, ramshackle-looking house that was probably easy to get into).

    However the weird thing is, nothing was taken (as far as my parents know). There wasn't anything hugely valuable, but there were several computers, a giant TV, paintings, and such. There was also a motorcycle in the garage that, I don't know how hard it was to access (external garage) but it seems like they could have gone for that if they were trying to steal something. But everything was untouched.

    It also doesn't make a huge amount of sense to me because their house does not look like a place where you'd get good stuff.... the neighborhood is full of glossy new mansions and their house is tiny and sort of falling apart. Additionally, they had one of those fake security signs on the door that suggests you're on camera, that you wouldn't know was fake unless you knew them.

    Anyway, the whole thing weirded me out and I wondered in the back of my head if someone had put a key-tracker on my parents' computers or something like that, for example to get their passwords and financial info for identity theft. My parents are well-off and I feel like there would be a motive for that. I also know my dad has some sketchy contacts from various deals he's done (long story).

    Anyway, as far as I know nothing's happened since then but, does this sound like a random attempted robbery where they just didn't find anything good? Or does this sound like someone was targeting my parents' house for some reason? Is my concern about the computers warranted or am I being crazy?

    There were no birth certificates or important documents that I know of in the house.

    Edit: Also, they've been the sole owners for 10+ years and the last resident was a little old Catholic lady....

    submitted by /u/Zealousideal-Farm466
    [link] [comments]

    I'm looking for a camera that does this but I don't know what it's called.

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 08:44 PM PST

    https://imgur.com/a/jkRNMtM

    In this image, provided by LifeHackster on Youtube, you can see that most of the image is lit with infrared, but some areas, like the light across the street, this house's light, and the street light down the road are in color. This is real color, not infrared. It's like black parts in the color image are replaced with the infrared image. I'd like to know what this is called. For reasons, I can't rely on a motion activated light for color. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Ewilson546
    [link] [comments]

    Corn Cob Lights for Porch Lights

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 07:51 PM PST

    2-Pack 200W Equivalent LED Corn Light Bulb, 3000 Lumen 6500K Cool White Daylight 30W LED Corn Lamp E26/E27 Medium Base for Indoor Outdoor Warehouse Garage Basement Backyard Factory Barn and Many Areas https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0872YXLVY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_m1-7FbMQ5BVNP

    I was thinking of using these in my garage and porch lights. These ones probably won't fit, so I will need the short, fat ones. Anybody have anything like this, or should I just get different porch lights?

    submitted by /u/treecutter34
    [link] [comments]

    Please, what is this panel. I know it’s some sort of fire/burg combo (or just fire)

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 09:27 PM PST

    HELP! Crazy ex is molesting my children and there is nothing I can do!

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 09:08 PM PST

    ok so, I live in New Hampshire, he lives in Vermont.

    With him is his 15 yr old daughter, and the two children from our relationship are there every other week for 7 days at a time.

    I have full legal and physical custody, he has 50/50 visitation.

    His 15 yr old daughter accused him of molesting the children once before and the courts through it out.

    now she has reason to believe he is at it again and so do I given my children's changing behavior.

    so, here are a few questions if anyone can help:

    can the 15 yr old put a camera in her fathers room to catch him doing these things to her sisters?

    can it record video / audio / both?

    does he have to consent to it?

    if she has reason to believe he is doing these things and records them can will it hold up in VT court?

    the cops wont listen to us, the courts wont listen to us, the department of children and families wont listen to us. what do we do? he is ruining my babies..

    submitted by /u/Inside-Public-2450
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment