• Breaking News

    Saturday, January 2, 2021

    Home Improvement: Just need to get something off my chest

    Home Improvement: Just need to get something off my chest


    Just need to get something off my chest

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 12:11 PM PST

    This sub has been, hands-down, one of the most welcoming, helpful, and non-judgemental communities I've come across here on Reddit.

    I love how people here can point out flaws in your ideas & plans, without making it sound like criticism.

    And I can ask (what I feel are) super basic questions, without feeling judged for not knowing all this stuff yet.

    Anyways, that's all. If you comment on threads here, and share your knowledge, I'm talking to you: thank you. I truly appreciate you!

    submitted by /u/justaDIYerchick
    [link] [comments]

    Should I be keeping track of all of the maintenance/repairs I do?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 08:50 AM PST

    We just bought our first house. It's about 110 years old, overall in great shape, but there's also a handful of issues. Some minor, some serious.

    The issues range from the bathroom fan not working and radiators being overdue on maintenance, to finding mold accumulation & wood rot when redoing shower sealant.

    The radiators and fan, and things like that, are easy enough to fix myself. The mold and wood rot are probably going to require an entire demolition and renovation of the bathroom.

    My main goal with this house is to improve it and raise its value as much as I can over the years. I know that something like an entire bathroom renovation will do a lot for that.

    But what about smaller things? Should I keep a document tracking all the little things I've done (date + maintenence and/or replacement of something) over the years? Will this matter at all when it comes time to eventually sell the house?

    submitted by /u/justaDIYerchick
    [link] [comments]

    What's your favorite "optional accessory" for home improvement?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 01:38 PM PST

    About 6 months ago I bought some really nice, gel-filled knee pads ($35 on sale) for a floor install. Since then, I've used these things for everything from cleaning concrete to drywalling to household chores. They are amazing and keep me from destroying my getting-older-everyday knees with minimal pain after working 1/2 day. They have truly become my favorite "accessory" I never knew I needed.

    What's your favorite?

    submitted by /u/Krye5
    [link] [comments]

    Installed new faucet and plumbing

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 03:34 PM PST

    I just wanted to say I installed a new faucet and plumbing in my bathroom and only made one trip to the hardware store! Winning!

    submitted by /u/skipdikman
    [link] [comments]

    Fire in the kitchen

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 08:19 PM PST

    We have lived in our house for 15 years and bought it brand new never had any problems with the smoke detectors we had a fire over Thanksgiving and they did not work.

    After researching I discovered they should be replaced every 7 to 10 years so this is a friendly reminder to all your homeowners out there get those smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors replaced if they're over 10 years old.

    submitted by /u/DealMann
    [link] [comments]

    Not all improvement is in one big go. This transformation occurred in the year and a half since the wife moved in. We have really similar taste so that helps. Was just under $5k all in.

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 06:47 PM PST

    https://i.imgur.com/wCAV2yK.jpg

    Check out the before (top) and after (bottom) Had the carpet (west elm - $700) before, but since then

    • Resurfaced all hardwood floors in our home. About $5000 but the best money spent. We'll allocate $1000 to this one area.
    • Replaced parents' old sectional with new West Park sofa (Costco - $1500), Xander chairs (World Market - $400), and black Poufs (CB2 - $300)
    • Spent $200 on in ceiling speakers from JBL. This may be the biggest thing the wife hated before
    • Ceiling was scraped ($300)
    • Installed a ceiling fan. All in with materials it was about $300 since we needed bracket and quite a bit of wiring. It was a nice moment when we popped up there and saw the spot we wanted was on a stud!
    • You can't see it in the photos but there was a terrible Ikea media cabinet that had wires all over. Was replaced with an inexpensive but really great office style cabinet from Scandanavian Designs ($200)
    • Also can't see in the old photos but the window coverings are now from west elm (curtain rod - $100) and home goods (curtain - $50) instead of some cheap amazon setup I had
    • Artificial plant from Homegoods ($30)
    • We recently recased all of our windows using this guide - https://www.addicted2decorating.com/how-i-trim-my-windows-and-doors-easy-diy-window-door-casings-with-no-miter-cuts.html - they came out great and it was about $40 per window including paint and primer (there's only one in here)
    • Swapped out the cheap slat window coverings for a roman blind from blinds.com - $150
    • new Gemini side table $250 from west elm
    • Added cactus art from World Market ($80)
    • Lots of candles and coffee table books (gifts mostly)
    submitted by /u/theflintseeker
    [link] [comments]

    Redid my septic pipe.

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 04:26 PM PST

    Plumber told me my septic pipe (orange burg) had collapsed so I put in a new one (pvc). Was actually easier than I thought it would be. Here are some photos of the before and after. I'm an electrician by trade, I can lay pipe, but this was different from what I'm used to. Questions and comments are welcome.

    submitted by /u/poison_porcupine
    [link] [comments]

    Wife has no faith in me to do things

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 05:05 PM PST

    To preface this, my wife and I recently bought our first home which happens to be a beach cottage that's a fixer upper. The house has healthy bones as it was built in the 50s. But needs some TLC. I have no knowledge of any type of home ownership or home maintenance or repairs. But I'm willing to learn and I really want to fix things myself instead of her father constantly showing up to fix shit and I just watch and be a flashlight holder. Our house has a screened in patio that overlooks the beach in which I've already ripped the screens out of (they were torn and dangling) and of the beams (not weight bearing) is dry rotted and needs to be fixed. I have a saw, a tape measure, and I can get a drill.. I've already went over what needs to be fixed, and where to get material. What I'm needing assistance on is how to actually go about removing everything and replacing things the right way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im not really sure how to go about executing the repairs. The pics are posted in the link.

    TLDR; My wife doesn't trust me to take on home improvement projects but I'm too stubborn to care and am asking for help on how to fix my wood rotted screened in patio. Patio Pics

    submitted by /u/ATC7777
    [link] [comments]

    need some furnace help

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 07:24 PM PST

    hey all, got a problem. I have a rheem 2 gas furnace that stopped working. I crank the thermostat all the way up and it does nothing. just to be sure i checked the flame sensor (clean) and the ignition element (not cracked) and the air filter (clean). I'm not sure what to try next? any help or suggestions would be great!

    submitted by /u/chartuse
    [link] [comments]

    Painted kitchen cabinets disaster

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 08:59 AM PST

    Last year, we painted our kitchen cabinets white. We sanded, primed and prepped using Sherwin Williams Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel. We asked the people at Sherwin Williams for their recommendation for paint to use and just went ahead with their recommendation. Now, our cabinets look awful. The paint is chipping everywhere. What are our options here? I'm assuming the issue is the paint, because we were really careful about dry times, light coats, sanding and priming. We didn't use a sealer, maybe that's the issue? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/elephentknits
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for an affordable cloud couch? Maybe a Casper type couch company?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 06:23 AM PST

    Looking for an affordable cloud couch? Maybe a Casper type couch company?

    My fiancé and I are obsessed with the cloud couch from Restoration Hardware but it's crazy expensive. Looking at other brands, Joybird? West Elm? What does the Reddit community like? I love you all.

    submitted by /u/alexcahlin
    [link] [comments]

    Desperately need help choosing a washer and dryer

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 07:03 PM PST

    Hi everyone, we are first time home owners closing on our home on Monday. We need to buy a washer and a dryer for the new place, but we have never bought any before and have no idea what we are doing. It seems like absolutely every model has terrible reviews, even the pricey ones. We're trying not to spend more than $1,500 for the set. Are there any brands/specific models that you swear by? Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/jessiehuff24
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about asbestos in a 1939 home

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 05:34 PM PST

    Hello everyone first post on this sub, I'm currently asking about the dangers of remodeling a house my dad bought, the house was built in '39 with a vinyl floor dining and living room and a tile tv room and kitchen, The sub floor of the house is rotted due to moisture. We plan on removing the flooring and closing in the under carriage with a dehumidifier to keep moisture out. My question possibility of running into asbestos while re doing the flooring, my dad says we should be fine and not to worry but I read about asbestos in old homes and it mentioned asbestos in flooring. Thank you for any information or advice!

    submitted by /u/AshyWaffle
    [link] [comments]

    Downstairs neighbor complaining of water bubble in ceiling. Is it definitely our fault?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 08:01 PM PST

    We own an upstairs apartment and our downstairs neighbor complained of a water bubble in their bathroom ceiling last night, which is directly below our bathroom. They said it only leaked about a cup of water. 24 hours went by with no further leaking (we were using our water and that bathroom all day) until tonight when she let me know it started to leak again. We can't find any visible water or leaks anywhere in our apt. We contacted our home insurance to send a plumber out but for unknown reasons they are taking forever to get someone out to us and I can't get ahold of them by phone...maybe because it's the weekend. Downstairs neighbor is now getting their own plumber out to try to find the source tomorrow morning. My question is whether anyone has experience with this and if so, what are the likely culprits? Is it most likely coming from us? Will the plumber have to rip out our floors to try to find it? How much of a horrible situation is this likely to be? (I'm anticipating bad for us). Many of the other units in our complex have had water damage issues due to old pipes but ours had all piping replaced with copper about 8-10 years ago. Is it possible it's their own pipes even though the leak is in their ceiling? Any and all advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Sonjainthe80s
    [link] [comments]

    Tip: Cabinet screws are a easier option than lag bolts for a variety of household applications

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 04:14 PM PST

    link

    I've hung TVs, mounted bikes and shelves and I'm sure a variety of other items that I've forgotten about with no issues whatsoever. Just find a stud and drive these bad boys in with a 1/4" impact driver.

    submitted by /u/9f78c50744b0
    [link] [comments]

    Electrical overhaul

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 09:44 PM PST

    Hi y'all I'm looking to buy our first house and found a beautiful one in Pittsburgh pa. It's about 1200 square foot house built in 1950 and the previous owners were much older. They have about 9 fuse boxes throughout the house 1 breaker box, and 2 more fuse boxes in the separated garage. I was curious if anyone had a very rough guess as to the cost of doing a full rework and converting everything to one or 2 breaker boxes. TIA

    submitted by /u/TheUndeadChef
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendation, Replacing Kitchen Cabinet Doors

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 05:57 PM PST

    Looking for a reputable and reasonably priced place to buy shaker style cabinet doors. We are trying to refresh our kitchen without breaking the bank.

    Online or local (Southeast Michigan)

    submitted by /u/3beansanddreams
    [link] [comments]

    ATTN: New Homeowners - Next Steps Prior to Moving In??

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 07:07 PM PST

    Just received our keys to our brand new home and we are excited! Suggested next steps?

    So far I have: 1. REKEY the house 2. Buy Bona mop for engineered hardwood floors 3. Grout sealer suggestions for bathrooms and kitchen backsplash? 4. ??? 5. ???

    What else should I do?

    submitted by /u/unrecognized88
    [link] [comments]

    How would you guys handle my front door step situation (covered in carpet adhesive and it won't come off, want it to look pretty).

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 09:13 PM PST

    Picture here.

    I purchased a place and it had the most disgusting outdoor carpet in the patio. I ripped it off and it left the most stubborn yellow carpet adhesive to the cement..

    I've tried adhesive remover and it just made it worse. I've tried 3 different kinds of razor and floor scrapers and as a last resort I tried an oscillating tool with scraper blades; i give up.....

    I'm just planning to put some IKEA outdoor wood tiles on top of the ugly yellow adhesive.

    This leaves the front door step and a surrounding raised area. The surrounding raised area to the left was a bit easier to remove all the carpet adhesive but there's nooks and crannies I can't get to.. so it still has some there.

    My front step and that side area are a bit hopeless. To the right of the door i'm sure i can scrape more off if I wanted to...

    Here is what I was thinking:

    1. Can I somehow pour concrete over this and just make it look like fresh concrete? Or is the old carpet adhesive left on the concrete making it not possible.
    2. Cover all areas in wood of the same color? I don't have all the tools to do this but I can probably hire someone.

    What would you guys do? I don't need it to look fancy, but I think the patio should look pretty nice once all the wood flooring is set.. but that front step and side area will totally kill the looks.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/cloudk1cker
    [link] [comments]

    Toilet won’t stop leaking

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 05:26 PM PST

    So I've installed toilets 5-6 time before. Never had a problem. But this time, my ass is kicked.

    Just installed LVP flooring in two bathrooms. Zero issues with the toilet in my master bathroom.....but the hallway bathroom, I just can't get it to seat correctly.

    Everything 'looks' right. I used a jumbo wax ring to account for the extra 1/4" height of the flooring. It leaked. Tried another jumbo ring....it leaked. Installed a spacer to raise the height of the flange, with jumbo ring....it leaked. Out of desperation, I tried a Korky non wax ring....it leaked (but slightly less).

    The floor doesn't have any discernible flex to it. The toilet doesn't rock at all after installation. And I don't see any cracks in the toilet itself.

    I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

    At this point, I'm waiving the white flag, and calling a plumber on Monday. But I'd love to avoid the shame of defeat, if possible. Lol.

    submitted by /u/Tedstor
    [link] [comments]

    Toilet shut off valve turned completely off, but water still running

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 03:53 PM PST

    Hi All,

    I noticed the flapper in my toilet tank needed to be replaced. When I went to change it out today, I turned off the water to the toilet to empty the tank, but the tank still refills when flushed. I have tried turning the valve both ways (just to double check) and all other shut off valves seem to be working fine. What would be causing a valve not to turn off to a particular item and is there anything I can do to fix it, or does it just need to be replaced completely? I've been scouring YouTube, but they all seem to be referencing stuck valves and not ones that just won't turn off full stop.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Kasparian
    [link] [comments]

    Where do we start on this shower valve?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 08:48 PM PST

    So we have this shower at my grandparents house in the country. The house is on well water.

    To start the shower one must pull extremely hard on the valve knob (shower diverter?) Like hurt your fingers hard. Once it does get going there is this nosey buzzing sound for a few seconds before it starts the shower (buzzing is longer if it has been a while since the previous shower.)

    We tried CLR to clean the inside of the valve but that didn't do much. the valve (knob?) Is easy to pull up, (to some extent) but just takes a lot of force to start the shower.

    What do we need to replace.

    Video and pic of the reverse side of the shower valve below.

    http://imgur.com/a/8cZheH6

    submitted by /u/tomgenzer
    [link] [comments]

    What is this black stuff behind my shower?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 10:28 AM PST

    https://imgur.com/gallery/95IyDBZ

    Hello, I found this black stuff behind my shower while recaulking. It's kind of hard, but breaks apart ~kind of easily. The first thing I was worried about was black mold, but while googling around, it doesn't seem like that to me. It's not slimy at all and has this hard consistency.

    I'm guessing it is some sort of building material used for adhesion, but not sure.

    Edit: rather than replying to everyone, just going to say thanks here! Looks like it's probably an adhesive. It's not squishy, so it's not silicone, but could be urethane. Thanks again all!

    submitted by /u/KurtMage
    [link] [comments]

    Home Inspection - Structural Issue, Should We Repair?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 08:35 PM PST

    First-time home-buyer and went under contract on a 1300 sq. ft. 1955 ranch in Denver that had been recently flipped. Had the inspection and there were some issues I'm concerned about. Of course, every home has something wrong and it's the inspector's job to find those things, but I need advice on whether this is something to walk away from the deal on. Here are the two main issues:

    1) Electrical: Many of the outlets weren't grounded. Even the ones in the bathroom, garage, and kitchen (wet areas). Of course, we can have an electrician do this but is it going to be exorbitant?

    Here are pics: https://imgur.com/Hdssgu8 / https://imgur.com/hVrGOg1

    2) Structure - Biggest concern. The old garage was converted into a bedroom. In the remodel, the contractor removed some structural beams, and sloppily put them back together. The inspector said if we get heavy snow, the roof could cave in. Is this common with remodels? We're having a structural engineer come out and take a look at it but concerned that maybe even this could be a waste of money.

    Here are pics: https://imgur.com/QsOkd7S / https://imgur.com/lyLPjw4

    Thanks in advance! I'm hoping to be able to use this sub more once we actually get ourselves a house and get going on some projects!

    submitted by /u/Stop_Spaghetti_Time
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment