• Breaking News

    Friday, January 1, 2021

    Home security: What's the most economical, effective, and practical security system for an apartment?

    Home security: What's the most economical, effective, and practical security system for an apartment?


    What's the most economical, effective, and practical security system for an apartment?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 08:59 AM PST

    I'm planning on moving to Portland, Oregon soon.

    submitted by /u/This_Caterpillar_330
    [link] [comments]

    House may have been cased - next steps?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 06:59 PM PST

    Had a stranger ring my doorbell just before 7am today (New Year's Day here already). I didn't open the door to him. He asked to use my bathroom 'real quick', I said definitely not and gave him directions to a bathroom. He left, and I didn't hear a vehicle start. I live in a quiet suburban area and am not on any public transport routes or anything like that, so this is encounter makes me suspicious. I've never thought seriously about home defence before, and this is a wake-up call. What are some concrete steps I can take quickly to make my home less of a target? The limitations are my budget, living in a rental, the fact that I can't get a dog, and that firearms for personal protection are not legal where I am.

    EDIT: Thanks for the advice, everyone! I put dowels in my windows, bought a cheap solar floodlight and 'installed' it with zip ties, and bought and set up a no-brand wireless video doorbell. I'll do more later, but for now the steps I took made my fiance feel a bit safer.

    submitted by /u/sausagefest666
    [link] [comments]

    Reolink RLC-810A cameras

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 12:54 PM PST

    I am VERY new to all this so I need some basic advice knowledge.

    My husband and I just purchased a house. We're interested in installing some outdoor cameras for surveillance. We are not in a high crime area so that's not our biggest concern. More interested in seeing deliveries, people knocking on our door, wildlife, etc. A coworker recommended the Arlo system to me and it happened to be on sale at Costco so I picked it up (Arlo ultra 2 and the Arlo doorbell). Well, after reading reviews it seems it's not the greatest system.

    I am now looking into the Reolink RLC-810A cameras which is POE. I am not handy enough to install this myself, I think. I am just trying to get some insight on how difficult it might be to install 4 cameras. Does the Ethernet cable get run through the wall? External to the wall? Can an electrician do this or another trade?

    How can I set it up with NVR?

    Here's a link to what I'm considering: https://m.reolink.com/us/product/rlk8-810b4-a/

    Pardon my ignorance and thank you for your help!

    submitted by /u/MurphysMom1205
    [link] [comments]

    I keep having someone going into my car port, pretty sure trying my car doors, and throwing their trash in my trash can/recycling bin. What's a good security camera for me to use?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 11:22 AM PST

    So, pretty much what the title says. I'm looking for something good but not crazy expensive. Preferably something that's either battery operated or solar powered. Prefer something that doesn't need wifi but will record. I mostly just wanna know who the person is and possibly turn the photo/video into police or just encourage them to stay away. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

    submitted by /u/Niskara
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations for door reinforcement/braces

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 04:30 PM PST

    I live in an apartment and wanted to get a brace/door blocker for my door. However, everything I look at on Amazon has negative reviews saying "doesn't work" or "slips on tile", and now I'm second-guessing what to buy. OnGard looked to be the best option but it looks like it's not being made anymore.

    I'm wondering if anyone has good recommendations for a decent door brace/reinforcement tools that work when you're in your home. I realize nothing's foolproof or 100% secure but I want something that's not a complete waste of time.

    submitted by /u/homedefensethrowawy
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment