• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 21, 2021

    Home Improvement: Just want to say thanks - got my dryer vent cleaned and lint was already catching fire

    Home Improvement: Just want to say thanks - got my dryer vent cleaned and lint was already catching fire


    Just want to say thanks - got my dryer vent cleaned and lint was already catching fire

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 07:51 AM PST

    We bought our first house a few months ago. Dryer was newish, but it would take 2 or 3 cycles to get my towels dry. I've been lurking on this sub and saw a few times that this wasn't right and to get the vent cleaned (or do it myself, which I tried and failed at).

    The guy came today. Said our vent was completely blocked and when he showed me the inside of the dryer he disassembled, there was a 2 inch layer of lint and the lint on top of the heating coil was blackened. He said someone was watching over us cuz the whole this should have caught fire.

    We have a young kid and I shudder to think of what could've happened. So thank you, r/homeimprovement for educating me and preventing a tragedy!

    submitted by /u/DaisyBuchanan
    [link] [comments]

    First Time Homeowner, Feeling really down about my DIY Skills

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 04:17 PM PST

    More of a venting post than it is a question.

    I bought my first home six months ago and have been tackling projects periodically but the past month has been ROUGH. In the past month I installed new barn doors, and tried installing a bidet.

    The barn doors turned out just okay, I didn't know you needed to leave gaps in between the slats to account for the wood expanding (checked the instructions after the fact and there was no mention of leaving slight space for slat expansion) so now I have these cracks in the slats. I took the doors apart to fix the slats and they're not completely awful now and I still get compliments on them. But I notice and it drives me crazy and makes me feel like I'm not taking care of my house properly.

    The bidet: this f'ing thing, I figured it'd be a good chance to learn something about plumbing. Ended up jacking up my toilet so bad I had to have a plumber come get everything to stop leaking (water was off, these were leaks from the tank) and watched him to learn what he was doing.

    I guess it just feels like so much of this stuff you just have to learn from experience. I grew up in a single parent home (sans dad) and my mother was never really handy so it feels like at times tackling DIY projects is an endless uphill climb for me because after I sink in the effort or time inevitably there is something I mess up because I just didn't know and it seems like it's common sense.

    I'm still committed to learning how to do all of this stuff, I'm not getting off of the DIY/Home Improvement wagon, but damn can it be disheartening sometimes when you feel like every single project is a big learning experience and not just something that you just need to be willing to dedicate some time to to get done.

    Is this normal? Did anyone else feel like their first home was essentially one big learning experience?

    submitted by /u/Wishbone345
    [link] [comments]

    Brand new dishwasher not draining or heating dishes properly

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 05:31 PM PST

    I just bought a KitchenAid KDTM404KPS dishwasher.

    The problem is that the dishes come out wet and although there isn't necessarily any standing water, it's definitely not dry. Even when clicking heated dry nothing happens.

    I will attach photos below. It doesn't matter the program we choose, they look like this. Any ideas? We followed the instructions step by step and we've done a couple of dishwashers in the past.

    Thank you

    https://imgur.com/a/KDQJgk2/

    submitted by /u/peji911
    [link] [comments]

    My bathroom door is on the same wall as the shower plumbing (pipes, shower head, faucet) and when I open the door after taking a shower water comes out of the shower faucet

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 06:54 PM PST

    I know this sounds weird but I've been monitoring it and it happens every single time.

    I shower, turn off the water, move the lever from "shower" to "faucet"

    And when I open the door, water comes out of the faucet. It's like a pressure release or something. No idea what's going on.

    It's also not a timing thing. It happens exactly when I open the door regardless of how much time it takes me to open it

    We've also been getting some leakage into the basement from the shower but I can't figure out where it's coming from. The water pipes and the drain pipe aren't wet or dripping, so I don't think it's a connection issue. It's like it's seeping under the tub and then coming through the floor

    submitted by /u/karpomalice
    [link] [comments]

    How to get rid of trim

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 07:35 PM PST

    My grandmother put some god awful floral wallpaper trim along the tops of the walls when this was her house some thirty odd years ago. We want to remove it but I don't even know where to start. It's just a border of what I assume is wallpaper along the top of the walls and the surrounding walls and ceiling have been repainted several times in the interim. Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/PsychopompousEnigma
    [link] [comments]

    Why does my hallway smell like a hamster and fish?

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 05:03 PM PST

    Sorry I know this incredibly specific. But last night and tonight our long hallway started producing a very pungent smell. And the smell has a kind of gradient. I know this sounds kinda crazy, but one end smells like fish and the other end smells like a hamster cage. Both last night and tonight the smell started appearing around the same time. Help!! Also feel free to point me towards a more appropriate subreddit.

    submitted by /u/intenselyseasoned
    [link] [comments]

    What is on your checklist for preparing your house for the cold/winter time?

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 08:49 PM PST

    Moved to house which is very cold. I tried adding some weather stripping to the exterior doors. Is there anything else I can do to reduce the cool air? What are things you do/improve to keep the house warm during this time?

    submitted by /u/Paranoid_ForLife
    [link] [comments]

    Showers with no access panel

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 08:42 PM PST

    Hi, everyone! I own an apartment with two bathrooms. Both showers are back-to-back with zero access to plumbing should something happen (unless I break some tile or remove the tub in the hallway bathroom). I'm planning on remodeling the hallway bathroom by this summer and was wondering if I can add an access panel on the same wall as the faucet or if there are any other ideas that I'm not aware of. My place has polybutylene pipes so I anticipate a leak happening and want to be prepared for any future repairs that may occur.

    submitted by /u/lazydumpling00
    [link] [comments]

    Tankless water heaters? Yes or no?

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 04:01 PM PST

    I remember when my parents were looking for houses 10-15 years ago and tankless water heaters were all the rage. Now that I am a home owner I am trying to figure out if making the switch to tankless is the best option and what I should look out for when comparing models.

    Right now I have an electric water heater, and don't have the option of running gas to my property. What is the general feeling of tankless water heaters these days? My house is on the smaller side (less than 1200 sqft) and there is only one bathroom and the other normal appliances.

    submitted by /u/calamine_lotion
    [link] [comments]

    A water pipe in my wall broke and water started flooding my carpet flooring overnight and now its mostly soaked af. Do i need to get new flooring and carpet?

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 08:17 PM PST

    The pipe was in a wall but there were no signs of damage until i walk in my room with couple of water puddles on my carpet, made holes in drywall found the broken pipe and patched till someone comes fixes it in the morning. The carpet has like different zones that are very soaked up with water but more than half the room ish is kinda dry. Everything in the house is at least like 30-35 years old and is located near LA, California. Idk if i need to replace the flooring, carpet or both but have fans blowing in there to prevent molds hopefully.

    submitted by /u/ImMatttt
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on driveway work

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 06:40 PM PST

    Hi all,

    I recently purchased my first home near Atlanta GA and unfortunately did not notice until right after closing that the top of my driveway is less than ideal.

    https://imgur.com/a/RLc1Xtc

    In the picture you can see the car I'm driving will scrape if I take the driveway straight on. We're dealing with it now by coming in at an angle, but some friends have managed to scrape before they even get into the rolled curb.

    I'd like to have this hump flattened and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight as to what will need to be done. I know it's not going to be cheap but I'd like to know what a reasonable solution would look like before I talk to a contractor.

    submitted by /u/ogznog
    [link] [comments]

    Shallow closet ideas

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 05:10 PM PST

    Have a standard 2 foot deep hall coat closet. The depth of that closet cuts into my bathroom opposite my shower.

    Refurbishing the bathroom, and would like to cut into that closet in order to install a larger shower, maybe 12 inches. How could I do that without making the closet unusable? Maybe hooks instead of a rod?

    Has anyone done something similar or have any ideas?

    submitted by /u/Crazey4wwe
    [link] [comments]

    Removing window - sheet rock question

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 07:55 PM PST

    We are removing a window and I feel pretty comfortable with all the steps but one question I can't find a answer to is, in the interior around the widows opening is a corner bead. Do I remove that also to make it flush with the new sheet rock I install? I wasn't sure if I left it if it will line up our not. If you have done this before what did you do? Thanks

    submitted by /u/Madbrad70
    [link] [comments]

    Getting new windows, need opinions please

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 09:54 PM PST

    So its long over due to get new windows. Contacted 3 guys to get quotes, narrowed down to one guy. But one of them suggested awning windows at the top of the big living room window. I initially just thought of casement windows. Ive attached a picture of my house(with the grass) and a picture of what I have in mind (green house). Instead of smaller windows at the bottom, I was thinking at the top.

    What do you guys think? Anyone have that set up? Im not sure how bothersome the horizontal sil would be up top. Or should I just stick with plan A (casement windows on the sides)?

    house and windows

    submitted by /u/rusty1606
    [link] [comments]

    New Homeowner - Why does my house smell?!

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 09:51 PM PST

    Literally just closed on our new home last week, and when we went this week to clean up a bit and take take care of some electrical work before moving in, we noticed a horrific odor, mostly in the master bedroom. My husband stated the smell is worse the closer you get to the walls. It's almost like cat urine, even though the house currently has no animals in it and the floors are wood. We live in central Florida. We're at a total loss. This smell did not exist during our final walkthrough. The only thing we can think of is that the homeowners mentioned doing paint touch ups before the final walkthrough. That's all that changed between us viewing the house and us closing on it. They used Valspar paint. Any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/CobraKnuckles
    [link] [comments]

    Emergency Kitchen Cabinet Disaster! Is it DIYable? Insane quote

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 07:38 PM PST

    Hello, everyone, I had a complete cockroach infestation in my kitchen and the smell filled all my cupboards. After investigating the source of the infestation, I found a leak in my kitchen sink that rot the entire sheetrock to crumbles and almost the whole middle cabinet. We fixed the leak and tore down all the rotten sheetrock and cabinet we could get to.

    It ended up being the entire back sheetrock, the entire back wall and floor of the cabinet, the whole toekick, and half of the cabinet's both side panels. I was told by the cabinet company I brought. I needed to tear down the whole cabinet, not just the middle one to be safe and sanitize. All three quotes I had were from seven to ten grand, and there is no way I can afford anywhere near this.

    I was wondering how I could go about a DIY. Since the cabinet is still in place, I don't think I can place a new sheetrock from underneath, especially with the pipes and everything in the way. Is there a spreadable drywall compound I could use that is not plaster since plaster is for small holes? And I suppose just buying wood for the back, side, tops of the cabinet, and a new toekick?

    Here is a picture of the situation. It looks as if I also have some type of black mold already in the area?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/W7zeMKn

    Thank you for the help!

    submitted by /u/UpstairsMachine0
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for recommendations before tackling my first big project, basement renovation!

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 09:43 PM PST

    Hey guys! If this post isn't allowed, I apologize! I read the rules but I could have missed something.

    SO. My husband and I are in the process of getting our first house together. It's a colonial from the early 60's in southeastern Michigan. The main floor of the house is great, and will only need some cosmetic work. The upstairs needs the floors redone, but I'll get to that another day...

    The basement however is... well, it's a basement. They listed it as semi finished but I think that's being generous. Here's some image: https://imgur.com/a/9cQ7ktC

    My goals are:

    Turn that first room into a "theater" area. We have nice reclining seats and a decent sized tv. I'm looking to make this room darker, so darker paint, darker floors etc. Probably some sort of vinyl flooring on top of a subfloor/vapor layer (at least that's what I think after a few YouTube videos haha). I figured this would be ripping out this broken wall and replacing it with drywall.

    The back "bedroom" I'm planning on making into a workout room. This room I'll probably redo the walls with drywall, and then use something more simple/basic on the floors like carpet tiles.

    The laundry/storage area I'm going to keep for mostly just that. I do plan on putting up some drywall in that area to make it more finished though. No idea what I'd like to do with this flooring yet.

    I know I'll need to tear down those horrible blue walls and probably put up drywall. I also want to take down the horrible depressive office ceiling. I wasn't able to get a picture under the tiles, so I'm not sure exactly what the situation is under them. The basement doesn't seem to have any leaking issues, and we didn't see any visible water damage. It does have a sub pump.

    I'm hoping to keep costs down as much as possible, which is why I'm going to attempt things myself. Goal is under $2000, but if I could get under $1000 that would be even better.

    I'm a complete novice. I've maybe painted 2 walls in my life, and those were on the fly at an old job. If it wasn't for Covid, I could have my dad drive up since he did construction his whole life, but he's a high risk group so I don't want to risk it.

    I guess I'm looking for recommendations for a little bit of everything. What flooring is your favorite? Do you have a favorite place to buy discounted things from? Best YouTube videos you've seen? Suggestions on how to redo a specific area? Etc. Anything and everything.

    Any and all recommendations welcome. My husband is going to help with the heavy stuff, but my 5' self will be trying to do most of it myself while he's at work.

    I'll also been going through tons and tons of posts on this thread. I'm new so if there are any great ones, please link those below as well.

    Thank you all in advance!

    submitted by /u/OhHeyJessyJay
    [link] [comments]

    Door difficulties

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 09:43 PM PST

    So my wife and I's living situation is a little interesting. We live on my family's farm in a house that has been lived in by my great grandpa, grandpa, my family until about kindergarten, my uncle, and now us. As you may guess, it's a constant home improvement project. One small-ish job I'm hoping to tackle is a door to our garage. The garage is not connected, and has a space for a door. I know when I was growing up there, there was one, but in the close to 20 years of my uncle living there, there's no longer one (he's not particularly handy and it didn't bother him). So the space is a nice even 80 inches tall, but the jamb spacing is 35.5 inches wide from top to bottom. Too wide for a 34in door, too skinny for a 36 without drastic trimming of the frame or a door. Which, of course, I cannot seem to find a plain no frills exterior door, at least online. Are my only options to a) trim the frame or a solid core door, b) add wood to the frame to make up the gap for a 34in door, c) build my own door or have one custom made, or d) just suck it up and deal? I feel I'm decently handy, but doors are a bit out of my comfort zone. (Heaven help me if we ever redo interior doors....hello front door frame that is neither square nor standard size!) Any advice is welcomed!!!

    submitted by /u/BigG7332
    [link] [comments]

    How do I remove these smudges from my Balcony?

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 09:35 PM PST

    https://i.imgur.com/NQStd2r.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/9i1j6XX.jpg

    A few days ago I noticed some type of brown dirt (that's what I hope it is) on my balcony column. I live on the top floor, so I have no idea how it got up there. What would be the best way to remove it? Since I am so high up, climbing up a ladder is out of the question. Please help me with some needed advice/suggestions? :(

    submitted by /u/Ginola331
    [link] [comments]

    Draw out shower stain

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 07:23 PM PST

    I have an Aqua Glass acrylic shower. It's in great shape aside from this purple shampoo bottle leaving an oval shadow like stain under it. Does anyone know of a way to draw the stain out? I normally clean with a brush and dish soap/vinegar mixture, but it has had no impact.

    https://i.imgur.com/YvBR8d6.jpg

    submitted by /u/Sethjustseth
    [link] [comments]

    Switch the stairs around?

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 09:34 PM PST

    We are building a house in the SW and the layout of the stairs just doesn't make sense. I asked for them to be switched around and they said no due to "the trusses." When I look at the floor plan and pictures of other finished houses, I don't see the problem. Can someone explain it to me further? Also, please give me a rough estimate of what it might cost if I choose to do it in the future. Pictures can be found at : http://imgur.com/a/uIICrBt

    submitted by /u/Sa2mpcann
    [link] [comments]

    Redoing caulk around sink- help!

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 02:38 PM PST

    Hello! I got a caulk removing tool and started going at removing the existing (lifting, gross) caulk surrounding my bathroom sink. But I don't know if I'm doing it right. Am I supposed to remove ALLLLLL the caulk so that I can literally see the gap/abyss under my sink? Or do I just blade off the gross stuff and recaulk from there?

    I'm a home improvement noob, but I'm trying. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/shann0ff
    [link] [comments]

    Lath & Plaster to Drywall: Question for after the removal

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 07:05 PM PST

    In process of a massive (it started small..) remodel.

    Lath & plaster has been removed throughout the house. Almost ready to put it all back together.

    Searched through a bunch of posts and on the interwebs. Looking for help:

    1. When putting drywall, there will be a notable gap between the studs and any framed object on the wall (ie. window/door). I've gotten recommendations to either add 1" slats on each stud OR just drywall it and make the trim deeper. Not sure if there's a better method or which is recommended...
    2. One of the points of lath&plaster removal was to insulate. I was planning on using Rockwool for the fire retardant feature since balloon framing. Vapor barriers (and all their other forms) have just popped into the discussion. Do I need this? House isn't wrapped, wood siding. Seattle so it's a bit wet here...
    3. I also have random holes in the siding. Mostly from removal of vents. Others from... we have no idea. They vary in diameter from maybe 0.5" to 2". I was going to try to fit the holes with wood and glue it in. Foam maybe? Best way to do this that doesn't involve replacing the siding? Don't really care what the outside looks like, got enough to worry about the inside right now.
    4. Other things you would think about doing right now? What else am I missing...
    submitted by /u/ozwegoe
    [link] [comments]

    Soffit Baffles?

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 09:16 PM PST

    I have soffit vents that are these hols running 60 feet down both sides of my home. (its a giant rectangle) There is also vents on either end of the house. Someone put these very low cost baffles. The thing is these baffles are the kind with two ridges on either side. This puts two of the holes directing air up the baffles as they are supposed to. But the middle hole runs under. I am thinking of laying down fiber glass insulation lengthwise, crossing the insulation already there. Is it fine if between each 22 1/2" truss there are three holes, and two are directed under the baffle up the roof into the attic, but the third is partially blocked by the insulation I put down?

    Honestly I hate the idea of going down the dozens of baffles on either side and ripping them out and putting different ones in, but I need to put down more insulation. The inspector I had come by seems to think I would probably be fine not messing with it.

    submitted by /u/GRedditD07
    [link] [comments]

    Transitions for Vinyl Plank Tiles over basement tile.

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 05:25 PM PST

    Hello!

    I've just gotten done laying Vinyl planks in one room of my basement. I put it on existing tile. Now I'll trying to find transitions I can use between rooms that have other tile. I made a few trips to the local HD, but nothing is right. Everything I've found is too tall for the 4mm difference. Any ideas or links to products would be appreciated. The flooring looks great. I assume I'll have to glue these down instead of anchoring screws through the basement floor, but I could be wrong about that too. Thanks in advance for any responses.

    submitted by /u/TiseoB
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment