• Breaking News

    Saturday, December 26, 2020

    Home security: Vivint Take Over

    Home security: Vivint Take Over


    Vivint Take Over

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 11:13 AM PST

    I just moved into a new house that has a Vivint security system with some sensors and a video doorbell. I do not want to pay anything to anyone for monitoring services. I'd like to be able to monitor it when I am away using some kind of app.

    Can I purchase a new control panel that will be able to use the current sensors and doorbell?

    Will I need to replace the doorbell altogether? (I have read some posts about those not converting to other systems.)

    Thanks for your help!

    submitted by /u/mightyputty07
    [link] [comments]

    Suggested Hardware to deter breakins?

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 06:09 PM PST

    I recently had our garage broken into. I want to setup some lights/cameras to try to deter any future thefts. I have just been given a Wyze outdoor cam and was also looking at Arlo Pro 3 floodlight cams. Any general suggestions on how best to secure a property with cameras like these and maybe other equipment?

    submitted by /u/Farquea
    [link] [comments]

    Vista 21IP

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 07:26 AM PST

    Hey guys just wondering if you dont want to pay for Total Connect 2.0 can you use some sort of local dashboard. Does the 21ip have a dashboard on its lan ip.

    submitted by /u/Tony_The_Developer
    [link] [comments]

    Poor Student Looking for Affordable Home Defense Options with Major Caveat

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 08:05 PM PST

    Hello all,

    Earlier this year, I repeatedly had a roommate repeatedly stealing medications from me, prompting me to buy a safe and place a lock on my door. Since then, the medications have no longer disappeared and everything has been swell since the roommate moved out. However, this last week, someone somehow managed to get access to my medications, going as far as replacing my pills with fake ones. Both roommates were out of town and my GF was with me or at work the entire time this crime could have happened, meaning someone had to break into my house. On top of this, a little more than a week ago, we noticed hand prints on multiple windows that looked like someone was peering inside.

    Regardless of the whole medication issue, I no longer feel safe inside my own home. I have had a massive fear of home break-ins for years now, and this has finally added way too much fuel to the flame.

    My goals are:

    1. Have a camera system that I can place in my window, catching/deterring anyone trying to peer in from the backyard, and inside my room to see who tf is stealing my medications. For this, I assumed a simple Wyze camera would suffice. The window pointed camera is mainly for deterrence purposes. I have considered getting an IP POE camera but don't really have the expertise/knowledge required to set one up. I believe a Wyze camera would suffice for catching whoever enters my room whenever I'm gone.
    2. A gun for home defense. No preferences, really. I would like to have a pistol so that I could take it to the gun range for leisurely activities outside of home defense.

    My main issues/caveats are:

    1. Affordability. I am a poor medical student living off of students loans for the next 1.5 years with no opportunity for outside income. My girlfriend's father is willing to loan her a pistol, but I am not familiar with the legality of such in the event someone breaks into my home and I use said gun to defend myself. I really don't have a price maximum since I am planning on using said gun for years ahead of time. But really, this gun would be more of a place holder until I was able to fork out more money 1.5 years from now.
    2. Safety. One of my biggest fears is accidentally shooting myself/someone else. To compound this issue, I intermittently have terrible night terrors. The best way to describe them is that I wake up from sleep, often during nightmares, without truly leaving the sleep cycle. This means waking up in the middle of the night absolutely terrified and often having visual hallucinations (not full blown hallucinations, but seeing geometric shapes/figures in my room). This night terrors never last longer than 5-10 seconds before I snap back to reality. Because of this, owning a gun means having to have it locked in a safe so that I can't immediately grab it and start shooting things in my room that aren't really there. I am thinking that the time it would take to get the gun out would be enough for me to return to my senses and realize nothing is wrong. However, that time spent getting the gun unlocked might mean an actual intruder can reach me before I can defend myself. Thus, I am unsure if I should opt for a less lethal option such as a knife.

    The main guidance I am looking for is whether or not I should purchase a weapon, and if so, the best option for safety. And any ideas for affordable cameras that are best for deterrence more than actual functionality.

    submitted by /u/platysma_balls
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment