• Breaking News

    Wednesday, December 30, 2020

    Home security: Hello, this smoke detector is the bane of my existence It doesnt have half its labels, let alone ANY warning labels, it goes off all the time for no reason, malfunctioning. And the sound it was built with is truly hellish. I think it's a Honeywell TC49 (A 1005, maybe model 2?). How Do i kill it?

    Home security: Hello, this smoke detector is the bane of my existence It doesnt have half its labels, let alone ANY warning labels, it goes off all the time for no reason, malfunctioning. And the sound it was built with is truly hellish. I think it's a Honeywell TC49 (A 1005, maybe model 2?). How Do i kill it?


    Hello, this smoke detector is the bane of my existence It doesnt have half its labels, let alone ANY warning labels, it goes off all the time for no reason, malfunctioning. And the sound it was built with is truly hellish. I think it's a Honeywell TC49 (A 1005, maybe model 2?). How Do i kill it?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 01:07 PM PST

    Can this ADT setup be repurposed for DIY?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 09:08 AM PST

    This wireless DSC all-in-one keypad is what was installed by ADT.

    The previous homeowners had their service, so when I purchased the home I had them quote me, but it is quite pricy just for monitoring and I have chosen to not go with them.

    However if I can repurpose this DSC wireless keypad with another system/app/some other security program I am really interested. Is this a possibility or would it need to be scrapped?

    The system can still be armed and disarmed but the monitoring I would like through something else (if I even choose monitoring. Still undecided).

    https://imgur.com/a/jhXL2yO

    submitted by /u/rouxinajar
    [link] [comments]

    Setting up cameras in an apt complex?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 04:20 PM PST

    Hi all,

    New to this thread and have a 2 part question related to thieves taking amazon packages or opening them. Just moved into an unsecured apt complex in a rough part of town in a SoCal city.

    A. Am I allowed to set up cameras outside my residence? Something to watch the front door entrance obviously. What I had in mind is either something at the front door/eyehole, or an external camera mounted outside an adjacent window to face the front door. I'm only concerned about violating any privacy rules, or rules about drilling or using adhesive on the outside of the residence to mount the camera. B. Recommendations for cameras. Anything wireless/wifi and low priced is a huge plus.

    submitted by /u/ctjfd
    [link] [comments]

    Affordable door/window sensor system needed

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 12:23 PM PST

    I'm struggling to find a decent sensor system amongst the plethora of systems out there.

    I'm looking for an out of the box style (possibly zigbee/zwave) not closed in with proprietary software/protocols.

    I'm mostly looking for a couple of magnetic door sensors and a vibration sensor for windows, the addition of a few PIR sensors that are pet friendly would also be considered. I'd also be looking for an alarm/siren that may be interlinked with the devices, although it isn't a requirement

    The main points I'm looking for are $15 per unit or lower Ability to work I'd internet is down Wireless Ability to talk with other devices through services such as ifttt

    What could you all recommend?

    submitted by /u/cactusplants
    [link] [comments]

    Rpisurv 3 has been released!

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 04:38 PM PST

    What are good options for a multi sensor security camera for exterior use with good night vision?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 12:46 PM PST

    Which is better long-term - DIY or Professional Alarm System?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 08:34 AM PST

    Currently investigating home alarm systems and torn on how I should move toward. I'm looking at SimpliSafe/Ring/Abode, however I question the quality of their equipment, overall security (based on reviews and YouTube videos/demonstrations), and ecosystem lock in. Does a professionally installed system using tried and true companies and components such as DSC just make more sense in the long run? With these more traditional systems, do I lose out on stuff like IoT monitoring and manipulation or are modules available to enhance system capabilities?

    Overall, I guess, I see SimpliSafe/Ring/Abode offering a bunch of bells and whistles where as a more traditional system just does the basics... but maybe that's a good thing?

    Thanks for any guidance you can provide. Looking for different perspectives and thoughts.

    submitted by /u/HistoricalTomato
    [link] [comments]

    House came with Night Owl cameras & DVR, should I upgrade?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 10:19 AM PST

    The house I purchased 2 months ago had a few Night Owl cameras. The previous owners left the DVR too.

    There are only 4 cameras but I need at least 4 more so I was wondering if it's worth scrapping those 4 and just getting a new setup.

    My needs are:
    - Affordable (budget: max $800 for 8 cameras) - Clear audio + video, including night vision - Notifications for motion - Playback of triggered motion events - user friendly app (some camera apps are HORRIBLE. YooSee with random Amazon cameras was one of the worst experiences)

    submitted by /u/marmaladeskies80
    [link] [comments]

    PowerSeries PC1832 Need Help Configuring with Envisalink!

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 10:00 AM PST

    Hi guys!

    I currently have the DSC PK5500 Pad in my house and my home security just expired and I was looking to self-monitor, so then I purchased the envisalink. Later found out that the installer did not leave the installer code so now needing to reprogram it. (Also tried the default code 5555 and does not work, unfortunately) Is there anyone that knows how and could guide me through the process of reprogramming please.

    Thanks so much r/homedefense !

    submitted by /u/lvuoo97
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for wired motion alert/doorbell type system

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 09:01 PM PST

    Help me disable old alarm (protection one, honeywell 320p1 control unit)

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 09:18 PM PST

    also posted this on homesecurity subreddit, but hoping i'll get some help here too.

    Been living in my house for a few years. It came with an alarm system already, but I never used it and havent been paying for it obviously. Only really beeped when doors and windows opened (until it stopped doing even that a couple years ago).

    Today I ripped out one of the window opening detector things to install blinds, and the damn alarm started beeping. Gave me a 10 second counter until the full alarm went off outside my house at 9 pm. I ran to the closet where the wiring for it was and in my panic I just pulled a handful of wires out to try and stop it. Guess it worked. But now i dont know if its running on battery and if if the alarm will go off once the battery dies.

    Can anybody help me figure out how to just SAFELY turn off power to it safely without tripping the alarm? I just want it dead and gone. I already have simplisafe system installed.

    I dont know the old code, i was never given it. I cant access the keypad without it.

    Protection One. I think the control unit is a honeywell 320p1 (says 320p1 on the sticker and a google search gave me honeywell as the manufacturer)

    PICTURES HERE: https://imgur.com/a/i6gmpf3

    TL:DR accidentally tripped an old alarm system that i dont have keycode for. Ripped half the wiring out of the control panel to stop the alarm, but need to safely turn it off for good without tripping the alarm accidentally. I'm stressed out that its gonna go off for some reason in the middle of the night tonight and wake up my whole neighborhood

    submitted by /u/Would-wood-again2
    [link] [comments]

    External cameras versus Motion lights. Location & other thoughts?

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 05:01 PM PST

    New house, wiring POE to soffits for cameras, but still want motion activated lights so that I can walk around my house and for defense in depth for people sneaking around the perimeter of the house.

    I would imagine that the location for cameras and lights are about the same, and that a light can blame a camera.

    Advice, ruminations and gotchas about these two home defense tools?

    submitted by /u/Uncle_Bill
    [link] [comments]

    Best DIY Home Security solution?

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 06:13 PM PST

    I am wanting to ditch Xfinity home security in favor of a more reliable DIY system - And partially because I am ditching their internet as well - and I am trying to figure out which system works the best.

    I checked out Abode and Simplisafe, and can't tell if the price of entry is worth it. I also read that Simplisafe has a ton of bugs and security holes.

    I like Wyze for the cheap up front cost, and I already use their wireless cams for point-of-entry monitoring, but I read their current tech is outdated by industry standards, and also have their own security holes.

    So, I am open to suggestions...

    submitted by /u/3dprintard
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment