• Breaking News

    Tuesday, December 1, 2020

    Home Improvement: Take (and keep) pictures of everything in your walls during a renovation.

    Home Improvement: Take (and keep) pictures of everything in your walls during a renovation.


    Take (and keep) pictures of everything in your walls during a renovation.

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 08:01 AM PST

    I recently took on an attic remodel for a friend and decided to take pictures at every step of the way. Pictures of rough plumbing, rough electric, insulation, and finally closed walls. Boy did I think I was being weird and manic until the plumber needed to know what was in the floor again, the electrician needed to know what was in the walls again, etc etc. It's easy, cheap, nostalgic, and it could save you a ton of work.

    submitted by /u/clownmilk
    [link] [comments]

    To the philistine that painted over all the hardware on the doors

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 02:19 PM PST

    I hope you spend eternity scraping paint off hardware only to have some knucklehead come in and paint all over it.

    submitted by /u/nobletrout0
    [link] [comments]

    How do you balance home improvement projects and keeping from going broke?

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 04:58 PM PST

    I recently purchased a "flipped" home, only to realize the flippers only did cosmetic work and half-assed most of it. I'm a single woman, 32, work in IT and try my best at DIY. Since moving in 2 months ago, I've spent $15K+ on necessary work (foundation cracks, sewage line issues, etc) and $15K on semi-optional work (there was no washer/dryer or any window treatments, a dying tree had to be removed, etc). The house was the max for my budget ($400k).

    The longer I am home (mostly due to the pandemic) staring at the peeling paint on the walls, the more I want to fix up the house. Some of the items on my wish-list are security related, like an alarm system.

    Any advice for new homeowners on managing the desire to have a nice home while also having some savings?

    submitted by /u/simplevolcano
    [link] [comments]

    Life pro tip: don't build a closet around a fixture that has a limited lifespan and block off the connections/pipes

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 03:00 PM PST

    Old bungalow, c. 1944, once owned by a person who thought they were handy. They left most of the really dangerous or essential things alone, but did some things that make no sense. This is the latest one:

    Hot water heater gave up the ghost (serial # indicates it's ~12 years old, it had a great run), so we called a plumber.

    Plumber takes a look, observes that the pipes and connections that he needs to access to remove the hot water heater are hidden behind drywall and a mess of 2x4s. For some reason. So now we're without hot water until the 'closet' (three walls and a bunch of other stuff) can be removed. I honestly really hate the person that did that.

    submitted by /u/darthfruitbasket
    [link] [comments]

    What’s one thing in your house that you know will only take 20 minutes to fix, but has been sitting untouched for an embarrassingly long time?

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 03:21 AM PST

    I'll start: I have two spots in my basement that need the paint to be touched up - it will take less than 5 minutes. I look at it every time I go downstairs to exercise.

    submitted by /u/Sudo_Nymn
    [link] [comments]

    Moving ladders is more scary than climbing them

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 06:22 PM PST

    I was wondering if any of y'all have come to the same conclusion. I use all sorts of ladders every single day at my job (window washer) and I've never had a problem with the height. What terrifies me is actually carrying them from window to window especially anything over 32 ft. They get super top heavy and the smallest branch or gust of wind will snag it from you and bring it to the ground.

    submitted by /u/jaromjo
    [link] [comments]

    Tipping Landscape Crew?

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 07:58 PM PST

    Not sure if this is the right place for this question... I have never hired someone to do my yard work before this year, and I hired a company to do some leaf cleanup because I no longer have the time to do it myself. I went to pay the invoice and it asked if I wanted to leave a tip. Is that standard? They did a great job (mowing, blowing leaves into the woods), but nothing out of the ordinary was requested or done, such as pruning trees/hedges or pulling stray weeds in the garden. Do I tip? If so, what is the standard %?

    In case it matters, I would absolutely hire them again next year.

    submitted by /u/SeriousVillage
    [link] [comments]

    Why is getting a window replacement quote so difficult?

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 04:33 PM PST

    I just moved into my 41 year old home 6 months ago. It's very clear I need new windows - they're single pane aluminum and I live in Central Texas. They're ridiculous in the heat, and somehow even worse in the cold. I have to line my windows with towels during the cold nights because they're completely saturated with condensation - I say all this to say, I do not need to be convinced my windows need replacing. They weren't nice windows 41 years ago and they're not nice windows today.

    A couple of months ago, I reached out to a reputable company about getting a quote. They sent basically the used-car salesmen version of a windows sales man. He was incredibly disrespectful, refused to keep his mask on, and actually said "What could you possibly know? I know more about this than you, so you should just trust me." He quoted me $22k for 8 windows. I kid you not. After 75 minutes of this, I finally politely asked him to leave, he got combative, and I then had to firmly tell him to leave. It was such a nightmare that the owner of the company reached out to me to apologize. Needless to say, I tabled the window thing.

    Now, a few months later, I thought I would try again. This time, it was a pair of salespeople, very pleasant and professional, but they were in my home for THREE HOURS AND FORTY FIVE MINUTES. It would have been much longer if I hadn't finally asked them to leave. I thanked them for their time and hard work but said I understand they're doing their job, they're being thorough, but I just lost half a work day on what should have taken an hour. I understand they need to go over their windows, they need to show how heat transfer, they need to discuss their vinyl vs competitor vinyl, etc. etc. etc. But seriously? Buying a car took less time.

    So my post title isn't actually rhetorical: Why is this so hard? Am I just not setting the proper expectation out of the gates? I'm pretty solid at setting boundaries - do I need to be more up front with how much time they get? Has anyone else had this experience? I'm at a loss - at this point, buying a new house with better windows would take less effort.

    tl;dr: getting a window replacement quote takes an inordinate amount of time and effort - OP wonders if they're doing something wrong.

    submitted by /u/bikingburgerpizza
    [link] [comments]

    HELP! I have the lumpiest lawn in the land

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 09:59 PM PST

    Thank you for reading!

    We bought our house last year and realized over the summer that the lawn was incredibly lumpy and uneven, to the point of having areas that are missing grass and mounds of dirt.

    It's so bad is a safety issue, I had foot surgery last year and can't risk twisting my ankle, with how lumpy it is, definitely a tripping and ankle twist hazard.

    Does anyone know a way to even it out? Maybe a roller (weighted) and then re-planting grass.??

    Help!

    submitted by /u/greenandkeen18
    [link] [comments]

    Siding Damaged?

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 07:57 PM PST

    A contractor anchored a $200 popup tent to my house by screwing it to the outside wood siding of my home. When I questioned them on it they said the hole will be patched with caulk when the project is over. Am I crazy to be upset and think the hole is unnecessary damage to the siding of my half million dollar home for some crappy $200 tent? I get they don't want to tent to blow away they but they could have anchored it to the tree right there instead. The tent covers the outside work area and tools they are using on my project.

    submitted by /u/melissafm
    [link] [comments]

    Dirty Grout

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 07:57 PM PST

    The grout in my bathroom tile is gray, dirty, and overall disgusting. Aside from using a grout brush, does anyone know of a device or another method to clean it?

    submitted by /u/ManicTitanic49
    [link] [comments]

    How to fix foundation, sill plate and joist issue

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 07:42 PM PST

    First time posting. I purchased a clinker brick 100 year old craftsman house in Utah 3 years ago. I've done several remodel projects over the years that have included sistering or replacing joists. However, I have one problem area that I'm not sure how to fix correctly. I have some ideas but would love the hear what others think.

    There is a large hole in the basement foundation where two 3-4" hydronic heating pipes used to go through. There is a joist right above that isn't properly supported due to the sill plate also being cut and having no support.

    What's the correct/best way to correct this and support the joist above?

    Thanks!

    https://imgur.com/KgofZTE

    https://imgur.com/msblXC2

    https://imgur.com/xKvzd2u

    submitted by /u/chembro783
    [link] [comments]

    Hot Water Furnace Leak??

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 08:00 PM PST

    Foot deep flood in basement, mind you I noticed this a day after torrential rain. Anyhow, there's an on/off switch and I turned it off and that seemed to stop whatever motor/leaking that was running/occurring. Most likely calling the plumber tomorrow.

    That said, I'd be curious to know any opinions — could the rain have done something? Is the furnace totally shot?

    submitted by /u/commeilfaut26
    [link] [comments]

    Condensation/water problem

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 07:58 PM PST

    Sorry in advance for the long post...

    I have a weird problem. I bought a house originally built in 1944 that has an addition built on top of the attached garage (garage had a flat roof). My best guess is the addition was done in the late 70s or early 80s.

    In the bedroom closet built on top of the garage, I'm getting moisture in the corner furthest away from the original house. The moisture starts at the baseboards and goes up about 3ft at it's highest point. To add to the mix, only the drywall and the insulation touching the drywall is wet.

    The length of the bedroom is about 48" longer than the garage was, which is where the majority of the water marks are. In other words, the exterior wall in the bedroom/closet is 48" past the exterior wall in the room below it and that's the wall where most of the water is forming.

    I cut open the wall and bedsides the insulation being sightly damp where it touches the drywall, there's no indication of any water marks. Does anyone have any suggestions of what's causing this?

    Pictures

    submitted by /u/The_New_Guy250
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a money pit, massive septic problems

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 06:38 AM PST

    After 5 days of occupying the house (4 people), 2 of the 3 bathrooms began having horrible waste smells burping up through the shower drains. 2 bathroom toilets, 2 bathroom sinks began draining very very slow. Back patio is concrete, hell 1/4 of the back yard is patio. Dug down through a 4' diameter hole in the patio and found a cleanout to a concrete septic tank. Called a septic company to come drain it.

    They pull the tank cap and discover it's actually a much older steel tank someone has placed a concrete cap over the top. The closest toilet when flushed does enter the tank, but not from the entry pipe. It seeps into the tank from a crack in the wall just beside the entry pipe. The shower in the same bathroom when run for 10 minutes never shows up at the tank.

    Probably all of this is under 10" of poured concrete. So I'm asking, dynamite, or gasoline?

    submitted by /u/Sasquatchwasframed
    [link] [comments]

    Basic tools question

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 07:16 PM PST

    I do not have a saw or any woodworking tools. I want to make raised garden beds and if possible fix some siding on my house which has wood clapboard siding. I took down a deck and some of the lower (on the house) horizontal boards were destroyed. The boards meet at a corner. Which basic tools will I need to do these jobs?

    submitted by /u/hilariousnessity
    [link] [comments]

    Are powerline adapters any good?

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 07:10 PM PST

    So its basically impossible for me to run an ethernet cable from my router to my room, so I was looking at powerline adapters. Are they any good?

    submitted by /u/hbxninja
    [link] [comments]

    Center cuts in tile...

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 05:07 PM PST

    Gonna be installing a subway tile backsplash in my kitchen on Friday. This is my first time doing a backsplash but not my first time working with tile. When I worked with tile in the past, I had access to a tile saw and a grinder, so making cuts was easy. Now, I'm in a different situation. The only tools I have access to are an oscillating tool, a manual tile cutter, and a miter saw. I'm hoping to avoid center cuts for outlets, but was wondering if anyone has any tips on making center cuts with the tools I have access to. I will more than likely be using ceramic or porcelain tile.

    submitted by /u/bcedit101
    [link] [comments]

    Bathroom shower surround replacement quote

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 06:21 PM PST

    I'm not sure if my quote is competitive for a shower surround tear out and tile. 3,500 in labor and doesn't include cost or material (tile). No plumbing will be needed.

    submitted by /u/yeahbuddy5555
    [link] [comments]

    Crazy cat person needs best sheet flooring recommendations, price be damned. Help?

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 08:02 AM PST

    What is the absolute best quality sheet flooring on the market today? Vinyl, linoleum, etc, don't care.

    I know, I know, so many people hate vinyl sheets or call it cheap. I get it. Still, I want it. I don't care about price. The only catch is I'm in Canada. Vinyl is the common choice, but I know linoleum also exists. Not sure if there's others. So, what is the best brand?

    Why must it be sheet flooring? Because I don't want any gaps. I'm one of those crazy cat people who is building a cat bathroom. It's basically just a giant closet with a cat door. I hate cleaning litter, or cat vomit, from the gaps between my laminate floor boards. So this closet will not have gaps on the floor. Oh, there was also that one time my dog had explosive diarrhea and it seeped under the floor boards through a small gap and ahhhh, let's not talk about that...

    So, now why expensive good quality flooring when it's only for cats and no one will ever see it? Because it's a test run for the rest of the house. My husband really, really wants stone tile flooring. We live in northern Ontario, but I'm a Floridian who does not handle the cold let alone the -40 it sometimes gets here, so no way am I having tile flooring. I've looked into vinyl tiles to get him the stone look while saving my poor tropical feet, but most of the brands are targeted for cheapness rather than quality.

    I know tiles are not sheets. But, I figure if I'm happy with the sheets, I'll be even more happy with their tiles.

    I live in a wee city that is somehow a city when really it should just be called a large town, so obviously I will be buying online. I have no issue there. As long as they ship to Canada, I'm happy.

    I really don't care about the price.

    Yes go ahead and laugh at the cat bathroom. I have a building permit for it. The city has already laughed. The inspectors have giggled too. It's all good.

    Cat tax: https://imgur.com/a/kVyRKjL

    submitted by /u/dev_shenanigans
    [link] [comments]

    How to repair a corner crack?

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 07:07 PM PST

    Hi! This is my first time dealing with home maintenance repairing cracks. The crack is between a wall that is against stairs, and a wall on the second floor. The walls are textured. The location is Bay Area, California, US.

    https://imgur.com/a/PZ1QKzZ

    I have a couple questions: 1. How do I prep the surface for repair? 2. How do I reapply the same texture? 3. Where can I find this texture? 4. most obvious question, how do I repair this?

    I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/GCheung55
    [link] [comments]

    Raising kitchen ceiling

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 07:43 PM PST

    Total noob and amateur here. How hard of a job is this? The rest of my house has vaulted ceiling's which are lovely but the kitchen has 8ft.

    Cost prohibitive???

    submitted by /u/AceUhSpades
    [link] [comments]

    Wiring 101 Help

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 03:56 PM PST

    Beginner here trying to install a light fixture. Light works when power to house is turned back on, but the dimmer switch does not work aka the light cannot turn off.

    Note: the switch worked for the light fixture I am replacing.

    Images HERE.

    Can someone help me figure out what I'm messing up?

    submitted by /u/emilyum
    [link] [comments]

    bathroom exhaust - vent through roof or gable?

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 04:50 PM PST

    I have a bathroom that does not have any ventilation, and I want to have a bathroom exhaust fan installed. I was initially planning on having it vent through the roof, but when speaking to a contractor, he offered the option of venting through the gable instead, to reduce holes in the roof. I understand that you want to minimize the number of holes through the roof, however venting through the gable would require a ~22 foot horizontal run of duct through the attic, which seems pretty long compared to ~2 or 3 feet vertical through the relatively slope roof. I guess I'm concerned about condensation on the ductwork (which would go over a bedroom), and/or the ability of the fan to sufficiently push air (80 cfm for a 40 sqft bathroom). Which option should I prefer? Thanks!

    Location: northern VA

    submitted by /u/Electronic_Donut_834
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment