• Breaking News

    Monday, November 16, 2020

    Home security: Security Keypad only

    Home security: Security Keypad only


    Security Keypad only

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 04:54 PM PST

    I have a home that has already motion detectors that covers ALL of ground floor, 3 keypads (that are really about 15+ years old), windows contact sensors. I don't have window breakage sensor as motion detector will cover that.

    I want to change my security keypad to a more modern one - with wifi, app etc. Of course, looking to replace all 3.

    What features should I look for the in the newer keypad ones? Ring has one for $220+ but it has its own sensors etc which I dont need.

    Looking to snag a deal during Black Friday sale! :-)

    submitted by /u/iaass
    [link] [comments]

    Existing cameras on house with wires run. Need a dvr box

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 07:44 PM PST

    I just bought a house that has older adt cameras with rg59u run to them but there is no dvr box. I'm looking for something small that could fit in a drawer that would be able to use the existing wire that I could also look at with my iphone or iPad from anywhere. I may put up new cameras too depending on if the ones I have are 1080p or not. Any suggestions? cameras

    submitted by /u/rjsutt
    [link] [comments]

    NightOwl Security Cameras

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 07:31 PM PST

    Just purchased NightOwl wired security system. It came with its own dvr with a 1tb hard drive. I'm currently using vivint with a monthly bill I'm trying to get rid of. Did I make a smart choice? Haven't installed it yet. The new cameras will replace the one at the garage. Nice because I now have 3 other cameras. Anyone have experience with this brand? If so, do you have the dvr connected to the internet? Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/TLockwood1
    [link] [comments]

    Garage door security

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 05:54 PM PST

    Hello, live in an apartment and just set up a gym in my garage (private and attached). In previous places, I've had problems with accidentally opening the garage door. I'm wondering what are the best ways to secure this?

    One way I thought of is some sort of manual lock on the outside. Something like a metal rod that is attached to the garage door and slides into a hole in the building. Not sure what this is called but have seen this before. Only problem, will probably need landlord's approval. Also not sure if this works universally for all garage doors or if it could potentially damage it.

    Another way is using a smart outlet (need recommendations though). Ideally it has a manual switch that I can toggle on and off. I would keep it off 24/7 unless I need it open (there is another side entrance from the inside via regular door that I would use 99% of the time). The ones I've seen are wifi based though and I'm worried that a power surge could accidentally toggle the door and cause it to open or something. Pros are that something like this doesn't require any modifications to the place.

    Any recommendations? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/waterloofbman
    [link] [comments]

    Cheapest option for alarm.com

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 08:04 AM PST

    Hello all,

    My house is wired with sensors and a 2gig control panel. I am looking for the cheapest option to be able to use the alarm.com app. I just want to be able to control my 2gig with my phone.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/zmeflyby
    [link] [comments]

    Security camera recommendations wanted - specific requirements

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 07:46 AM PST

    This is part review and part asking for recommendations. I have been playing with a couple different cameras for a while, and I think that through trial and error, I have really narrowed down the features and capabilities that I'm looking for. I am looking for my home and my business, which is brick and mortar and heavy foot traffic.

    I have tried the ADT Pulse, Blink XT cameras and the Eufy flood light cams, and a few Chinese off-brand interior cameras.

    I am looking for both indoor and outdoor cameras that meet the following criteria:

    1. Hardwired / electric powered. I found that Battery-operated cams irritate me. It seems like one of them always has to have the batteries replaced or recharged.

    Blink: fail

    ADT: pass

    Eufy: pass

    1. Fast or early motion detection. The battery powered units wait until motion is detected to start recording, in order to save power and battery life. As a result, they take 2-3 seconds to kick on. Unless your subject is holding still for a while, the recording usually misses the action.

    Blink: fail

    ADT: pass

    Eufy: pass

    1. Early movement recording. This goes hand-in-hand with 1 & 2. If it is continuously powered, the recording can start a second or two prior to when the motion was detected.

    Blink: fail

    ADT: pass

    Eufy: pass

    1. Contiguous/continuous recording. The recorded clips should be back-to-back if they last longer than the Clip time set. On the ADT cams, they record for 30 seconds, then take 5 minutes before they will record another event. A lot is missed.

    Blink: fail

    ADT: fail

    Eufy: pass

    1. Audio. I don't care about speaking through it, but being able to hear, I have found, is valuable.

    Blink: pass

    ADT: fail

    Eufy: pass

    1. Wifi. While I don't mind running power to the cameras, I don't want to run network cables for POE, but I'll consider it depending on the solution.

    Blink: pass

    ADT: pass

    Eufy: pass

    1. Free cloud recording. This is optional. I'll pay for the right solution, but I certainly prefer free! I also do. It want to set up a separate server for this.

    Blink: pass

    ADT: fail

    Eufy: pass

    Summaries:

    The Blink system does not do it for me. It fails in most categories.

    The ADT Pulse cameras do all of that except contiguous/continuous recording, and it doesn't have audio. They are also unreliable. I found that they go offline frequently, with no explanation as to why. They often require a hard reset to reconnect.

    I love the eufy cams. They check ALL the boxes, and they are super reliable! However, the flood lights are the only ones I've found that provide the desired capabilities, and they would look awful anywhere that isn't an exterior entrance. If they made a version of the flood light cams without the flood light, I'd buy it without hesitation.

    If you're still reading this, I have to congratulate you! That is a crazy long post. You deserve a pat on the back, or a hug or something. I'm looking forward to the dialogue.

    submitted by /u/sandmanslim7
    [link] [comments]

    Android app to use phone as security camera

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 03:15 PM PST

    Since phones and cellular data is cheap I am looking into this. monitor a place with a cell phone.

    There are several apps on PlayStore, what have been your experience?

    submitted by /u/Biz-Developer
    [link] [comments]

    Difference between Argus 2 and Argus Pro

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 03:39 AM PST

    Smarthings and Qolsys panel 2

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 07:46 AM PST

    I want to set up my smarthings to activate a scene when my Qolsys panel is triggered. Like turn on the lights, start recording, etc... How can i make that happen?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/htcfan2011
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment