• Breaking News

    Monday, November 16, 2020

    Home security: SimpliSafe vs Ring for actual emergencies, experiences?

    Home security: SimpliSafe vs Ring for actual emergencies, experiences?


    SimpliSafe vs Ring for actual emergencies, experiences?

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 03:16 AM PST

    For people who own these systems, what has your experience been? And what have the response times been or what was your experience during an actual emergency? Also general comparisons are welcome, as I've been comparing them and here's what I've found so far.

    Simplisafe equipment is a less costly and seems to be more security related, they also carry glass break sensors (great for large basement windows, sliding doors, etc.) and have keyfobs, so you can activate the alarm on your couch or before you walk in the door, very convenient. It seems they have better monitoring if you buy their top tier $24.99/month plan, where during an emergency, they will actually view your indoor cameras (which also have a privacy shutter when not in use, great feature) and tell police/fire what's going on inside your house and get them there faster and prepared. But you can't use their app or most features, including alerts, unless you buy this expensive plan. Their $15/month plan only monitors the alarm, no other features at all, lame.

    Ring is a tad pricier for each piece of equipment, but has tons of camera, lighting and other equipment options. Integrates with amazon, probably future stuff too. They let you use their app and customize everything, even if you don't use their plans, so you can self monitor very easily, really cool. Besides, their top tier and only alarm plan is only $10/month! But you can get features unlocked on a non alarm device (doorbell camera) for $3/month per device. Though the monitoring doesn't seem as good, they don't mention using camera monitoring or seem to be able to tell the difference between a false alarm or an actual emergency, they just try calling, then will send a squad car, which could waste a lot of time if you're getting hacked up or your house is burning down. Though I hear if you have an echo, it can pickup a smoke detector alarms and sense glass breaks if you tell alexa to be in guard mode. But I probably wouldn't, and many people don't use the echo, lame.

    submitted by /u/xylaphone785
    [link] [comments]

    How Do I Use Ring Doorbell Without A Plan?

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 06:10 AM PST

    I can't anywhere on Ring app or website. Every time I want to watch any Motion it goes to the page to sign up for a plan. I dont want a plan!! thx

    submitted by /u/Littlebigman57
    [link] [comments]

    Best Under Bed Gun Safe?

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 10:36 AM PST

    Hi All, I'm a beginner firearm enthusiast. I plan on buying my first firearm (Beretta A400 Xcel), but before I do I need to ensure that I have a safe and secure place to put it.

    I'm looking for an under the bed rifle safe. Something long enough for a 30'-32' barrel. Would prefer to have it fire proof so I have the option of storing other valuables in it. Prefer to have a key code rather than a traditional Safe lock. Thumb print would be nice, but not a deal breaker. Looking to spend up to $1000.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Thatoneguyonreddit28
    [link] [comments]

    No (or little) Lag LiveStream Outdoor Camera

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 11:58 AM PST

    I am unable to see my driveway from any window in my house. I would like to set up an outdoor camera that would be able to livestream to a display inside. I tried using a wireless Blink camera and Alexa Show 5, but there was so much lag that my in-laws were already knocking on my door before they even showed up on the camera :-) I am hoping you all can help me come up with a solution. My budget is about $300

    Criteria:

    I would like the monitor to always show the live stream from the camera (The Blink/Alexa set-up would only show 5mins of livestream at a time).

    I can run an ethernet cable to the camera if necessary.

    Recording is not necessary but would be nice (especially local storage)

    Ability to view on an iPhone in addition to a permanent 24/7 live streaming monitor is a bonus

    I am also thinking about getting a magnetometer vehicle sensor to notify me when a car pulls in, so ability to integrate the camera and magnetometer in the future would be a bonus.

    Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/tomo7
    [link] [comments]

    New Build house - looking for NVR with some smart home ability.

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 11:25 AM PST

    So I have been doing my research on smart home stuff for a new build I am doing and am stuck on the camera part. I have experience with IP POE installs with an NVR.

    I am looking for 5 cameras outside and 3 cameras in the kids room. In our current house we currently use Wyze cams and they are easy for the purpose of watching the kids as a baby monitor.

    All I really want to accomplish with this new house is the ability to have POE hardwired outdoor cameras going to an NVR and 3 WiFi indoor cameras that could be separate from the NVR system for the kids rooms. The big thing I would like to do is have Alexa support where I can tell Alexa to "view outdoor cameras" and the NVR hdmi will load on my main TV in the living room. Or say view kids rooms and have the 3 kids room show on the TV.

    I was looking at basic systems like Ring but i really like having the NVR and all the features that brings.

    Does anyone have any suggestions on this especially the ability to see the cameras through Alexa?

    submitted by /u/7Lev3ls
    [link] [comments]

    Block front door at night

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 04:55 AM PST

    Block front door at night

    There was a lot of burglary in our neighborhood in the last few weeks. The burglars are able to lockpick (or bump?) locks and don't mind people sleeping inside.

    I was thinking about using this thing to block our door ( when everybody is inside of course ):

    https://preview.redd.it/ircvxcuvilz51.png?width=800&format=png&auto=webp&s=36cc658e0a384e264bd8e76f6fe452c9d1f8facd

    Mount it to the wall right next to the door somewhere in kicking height. I think the smaller piece is not even necessary, if the door opens inside, and I am not allowed to modify my door anyway.

    My "setup" - apartment in Europe

    • Concrete walls
    • Metal door frame
    • Pretty sturdy metal rimmed doors with no holes (pet, mail) whatsoever
    • You can hardly fit piece of paper under my door
    • Only Spiderman can break my window and go through it :-D

    Do you think it's worth it? I sleep fairly close to this door and can wake up pretty easily.

    What is this called properly in English?

    Do you know something more "stylish" ?

    Thank you very much =)

    submitted by /u/PetrChudoba
    [link] [comments]

    Xprotect DDNS issues?

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 06:59 PM PST

    Hello. Is anyone else having issues with Milestone X-Protect using DDNS lately? It worked fine for over a year since setup, but now all of a sudden (maybe an update?) my DDNS (no-IP) is not working. I tried reconfiguring it and using different domain but no luck. It works fine on IP from public and when browsing to DDNS FQDN I get an option to open using the IP but the error states:

    "To protect your security, xxx.xxx.xxx.xx will not allow Firefox to display the page if another site has embedded it."

    Tried other browsers and get connection refused...

    Research pointed me to trying to enable X-Frames but that seems to only affect video so I don't want to go through the trouble of shutting things down and editing a config file if it wouldn't help me anyway.

    The other doc I found was what people would use for initial internet access setup. I never did this part and it has always worked fine, but went ahead and tried it. This change allowed me to access the DDNS FQDN internally (I host the same domain/A records on private DNS server so that I can use same URL inside/outside my network with correct internal/external mappings) but still no luck on the external side. It mentions the ability to use port forwarding and that when doing the internet setup the port should match the local port, but not sure if that includes any of the NAT going on.

    I have tried all of them and no luck. I use "No-IP" for DDNS which forwards port 80 to my custom external port 43447 on my edge firewall which then translates traffic to the Milestone internal IP on the default port 8081. I have tried putting in 80, 43447, and 8081 in the port with my DDNS FQDN but nothing seems to work :(

    Here is the document that I am referencing. I am a network engineer so I know that some of this post may be too technical but really just wanting to know if others using DDNS to access Milestone have run into this issue yet.

    https://developer.milestonesys.com/s/article/About-accessing-recordings-in-XProtect-clients-over-the-Internet

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Res1stanceIsFutile
    [link] [comments]

    NVR security system suggestions?

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 09:05 PM PST

    Hi, I'm having trouble looking for a certain type of nvr security system. Do you have any suggestions?

    There are a few must haves I need

    1. Wireless cams, (must record 24/7, so powered)
    2. No IR cam, must have white LED for Night shots.
    3. Must have two way audio
    4. Must have a good phone app

    Nightowl is the only company I've come across that has all of that but I tried them and after my experience and the pages upon pages of bad reviews I am sending that system back.

    Any help will be great!

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/HipYo
    [link] [comments]

    One of the lights in our house was left on when we came home.

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 03:04 AM PST

    Not sure if this is the correct place to post, if not please guide me to the right one. When me and my wife came home, the lights in our bedroom was left on. And please, before you assume anything or say oh "you probably forgot to leave it on". I can assure you 110% that is not the case here, me and both my wife both checked every room's light was left off before we left. There is zero room for doubt, I know for certain we did. And I remember looking back at our room, the light being off before we left. Please help. And no, nothing left a trace of something being broken into, (keep in mind people can be very very meticulous these days in not leaving a trace) other than the fact that a possible intruder left our lights on.

    submitted by /u/michaelphbn
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for an outdoor camera that supports remote (over the internet) pan/zoom and low light, any suggestions?

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 04:45 PM PST

    I have not had much success finding what I'm looking for - I suspect it exists out there but I'm not searching for the right thing. I have a second property that has a back yard that faces out into forest. I am looking for a high quality camera that supports pan and zoom via an app/browser interface that I could mount at the back of the property and use for watching deer, etc. when not there. Ideally I'd like something that has good low light capability (infrared?), and motion detection. Wired would be my preference, I can easily run power and ethernet as needed.

    Any suggestions? I was looking at the starlight cameras but I'm not sure if any of them would fit what I'm looking for.

    submitted by /u/krelvar
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment