• Breaking News

    Sunday, November 15, 2020

    Home Improvement: LPT: If you use Purdy paintbrushes, the end of the handles fit perfectly into a 13/16” spark plug socket for spinning them out with a drill after cleaning.

    Home Improvement: LPT: If you use Purdy paintbrushes, the end of the handles fit perfectly into a 13/16” spark plug socket for spinning them out with a drill after cleaning.


    LPT: If you use Purdy paintbrushes, the end of the handles fit perfectly into a 13/16” spark plug socket for spinning them out with a drill after cleaning.

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 07:27 PM PST

    Maybe common knowledge but it's an easy convenient alternative to buying a unitasker tool like this

    submitted by /u/terribly-vexed
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know how to get this clean?

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 02:18 PM PST

    Here's a photo: http://imgur.com/a/5Vn1SYg

    The building was built in the 1970s.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/AtmanRising
    [link] [comments]

    Cracked a fresh subway tile

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 01:32 PM PST

    I put up our subway tile backsplash yesterday, 3x6 glazed ceramic, and today tried to test out how the outlets would lay. So I tighten it until it's snug with the flanges on the tile. But, the hole for the plate is also over tile. So when I tried to screw in the plate, the screw must have pressured the tile to crack.

    Do I need a slot for the plate screw to sit? Is my outlet method all wrong? Also wondering if this might be indicitave of something I've done wrong, not enough adhesive or something.

    https://imgur.com/a/OfLm7e6

    submitted by /u/treJmei
    [link] [comments]

    Dumping water down garage floor drain—not connected to sewer

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 10:04 AM PST

    Hi Everybody,

    First time post and recent home owner. When we bought the house I didn't realize the drain in the garage just drained to soil, not piped to the sewer. I installed a utility sink in the garage under a faucet that was in place but buried behind some shelves. Right now the sink drains into a 5 gallon bucket, and I figured I could just dump the bucket down the floor drain periodically, not realizing the drain wasn't connected to sewer.

    Should I be concerned dumping water down the drain when it just leads to the dirt under the concrete floor? And would doing this in a region with a harsh winter season cause other problems?

    Thanks.

    Edit: I fished a wire down the pipe and can feel the end of it. Then there is an inch or so of space and then a thin layer of mud and what feels like gravel below it. It's not connected to any downspouts because they are all above ground, but there is a spout that exits next to the driveway out by the street. It seems to be right on the property line, and I just presumed it was the exit for the neighbor's downspouts. Unfortunately, winter is full and I won't be able to check it out until break up.

    If it is a French drain, am I safe to keep using it? (Of course I'm not going to dump sewage down it)

    submitted by /u/Comedyortragedy
    [link] [comments]

    Strange Basement Smell

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 02:47 PM PST

    Hello All! I've noticed a very sweet smell in our basement usually in the mornings. It seems to get reduced throughout the day and is always the strongest in the morning. It does not appear to be from the hot water or oil furnace and there is a carbon monoxide detector in the room. Any idea what this could be?

    submitted by /u/harv405
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a diy way to make a bathtub heated?

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 03:50 PM PST

    I just think it'd be lest wasteful to keep the water warm through the tub vs adding more warm water.

    submitted by /u/lonely-day
    [link] [comments]

    Small bathroom in basement, self-levelling compound before tiling?

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 11:53 AM PST

    When I removed the old tile I chipped away the old thin set and it kind of started to bring up the concrete subfloor with it so now I have some low spots. The floor is pretty level, just not even. Would it be a good idea to pour a self-levelling compound? You can see the worst of it to the right of the toilet flange in the picture.

    Thanks 🙂

    https://imgur.com/a/ypC7X4w

    submitted by /u/ryguy189
    [link] [comments]

    Should I be putting my builder on blast if I just discovered that our circuit breaker doesnt turn off all the lights in the house?

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 09:06 AM PST

    I'm trying to install a ceiling fan and discovered that even with every single switch flipped off on our circuit breaker, that some lights still work, including the one I want to work on. Our living room is not mentioned once on any of the labels.

    submitted by /u/Hotwir3
    [link] [comments]

    Better to hire a GC or hire each job individually

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 12:18 PM PST

    The list of things we need: New roof (metal most likely)

    At least two new install mini split ac units

    Electrical-nothing major, new outlets and light fixture runs. Fixing some old outlets and light fixtures.

    Prep and paint whole house

    Right a tilted concrete planter wall

    Scrub coat and patch some exposed rebar in the crawl space under the house

    Rain gutters

    New driveway along with leveling of garage and carport floor

    Is it better to get a GC to handle all the particulars and coordination of this amount of work or should I just piece it all out?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Migity
    [link] [comments]

    Found some (maybe?) funky electrical in the walls, looking for advice

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 01:35 PM PST

    Hi all, we just bought a house in western CT a few months ago and are just starting to take on the bigger stuff. We knocked down the tile backsplash in the kitchen, and in the process created some huge holes. Today I'm going through and starting to patch them when I notice this lovely ball of wires, electrical tape and end caps inside the wall, behind the refrigerator: https://imgur.com/gallery/xFNRS7N

    I can see at least 1 exposed wire, and while I have no experience with electrical, it doesn't look super safe to me. The wall is shared with the bathroom, the only electrical going on in there in some overhead track lighting. There's a switch above the light switch that does nothing, im thinking maybe an exhaust fan that doesn't work?

    Maybe its a dumb question, but can I cap off the exposed wire and patch over this and pretend I never saw it, or should I call an electrician to fix this before we go any further? We have had several major financial surprises this month, all house related, and I'm trying my best to not call in any more specialties when I can. However I don't want to burn my house down. Any advice is much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/tinyrabbitfriends
    [link] [comments]

    Made a 20'+ bamboo pole for my tree pruner...

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 09:10 AM PST

    https://imgur.com/a/cBuL27h

    Got the bamboo from a neighbor and heat treated it for strength. put guide loops for the line to keep the pole from bending. Works amazing. Now to see if I can adapt a pole saw to it for those thicker branches...

    submitted by /u/dctimmer
    [link] [comments]

    Tankless water heater - delayed heating. How do we begin troubleshooting?

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 04:15 PM PST

    We just closed on our first house. Inspection didn't show any issues with water heater but noticing that it takes longer than expected for water to heat. This is happening on all faucets and is especially annoying when takes 2+ minutes for water to heat for shower. How do we begin troubleshooting our tankless water heater?

    submitted by /u/Winniejmarie
    [link] [comments]

    Home Painting advice?

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 05:51 PM PST

    Helloo I'm really new here, but I thought it will be a good place to get some advice.

    I'm planning on a major home improvement project in the coming weeks, and one of them is repainting my 10 year old walls. Some context: I live in Singapore, in a HDB/flat. It's a 15 storey tall building with 114 sqm. Before I start choosing my colours, I've had a couple of issues I'd like some help in answering!

    1. Before I paint, is there a need to remove the old paint? Most of it is quite stable, and doesn't seem like its going to fall off. Is there a need for a primer for any sort?
    2. There have been some cracks in a wall, and I'm not exactly sure why. It seems to go around a part of the wall, and it looks like the centre of the wall has been shifted. It seems kind of sketchy to paint this, and I could use some help in identifying the cause. Here's how it looks like on both sides.

    Thank you

    Edit 1: Thank you for the help! I've figured out the cracks. It seems as though the previous homeowner demolished the walls to extend the size of the rooms, and it used to be a arching doorway. We had it filled up with bricks during our initial moving in, and I have no idea why it started shifting. The bricks are no longer aligned with the foundations. I'm looking for ways to remedy this but it doesn't seem cheap.

    submitted by /u/f5122
    [link] [comments]

    Can I install a pullup bar in a doorway with no door?

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 10:27 AM PST

    Hey everybody! I have a pull up bar which is too small to fit in my very large doorframe in my apartment bedroom. I have a closet with a walk in space that looks like this. I was thinking about installing an extra square piece or two of a 2x4 with some screws to act as the doorframe that the pull up bar should sit on, but I'm not sure if this part of the wall would be strong enough.

    I checked with a studfinder, and it only indicated one in the center, so I'm not sure what is there to hold the piece(s) of wood securely. Would this frame be strong enough? I don't weigh an absurd amount. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/DonnyT1213
    [link] [comments]

    first impact driver

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 04:27 PM PST

    Hello I need a tool for some projects, starting small and just mounting some stuff on my wall around the house. ATM just drilling into studs but want to future proof a bit.

    Is this a solid first? If so what bits shod I get, a buddy of mine said dewalt makes good tools but their bits suck

    Edit: ended up getting this set on Home Depot instead and this bit set

    submitted by /u/OffinEWN
    [link] [comments]

    Any advice on what I can do with this weird mudroom?

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 03:45 PM PST

    Hi all. I made a post previously, but not sure what happened.

    Basically, I have a pretty big room that was added on as an addition on my lower level of my split level house.

    It has stairs that go back up to the yard. I'm a little stressed because its a big space (too big to be a mudroom imo) but might be awkward to put some kind of living space there (like a bedroom). I already have a sunroom, so really struggling if it should even be kept.

    https://i.imgur.com/QDqZk9l.jpg

    submitted by /u/Man-0n-The-Moon
    [link] [comments]

    Garage Door Noise

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 05:56 PM PST

    Just under a year ago I moved into a house that was built in the early 90's, and have slowly been replacing things that are showing their age.

    The garage door opener was one of the issues, moving slowly, not always opening, and would not go all the way down on occasion. So I installed a new door opener with no issue, and have had no problem since.

    After going to friends house, we went into their garage and the door opening and closing was very quiet. Basically the only noise was the motor in the opener itself. His place is newer, but I still felt as though my garage door opening was aggressively loud in comparison.

    It does not go slow at any points, or seem to be jamming. Also, all appropriate maintenance has been done on the garage door since the home was built. So my question is, does anybody know of anything else I can do to lower the noise without affecting the performance of the opener or door?

    I don't want to start spraying grease everywhere and cause issues, and I also don't want to call in for service if there is nothing wrong. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, was there anything you did that corrected a large noise level in your garage door?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Lost_Patient
    [link] [comments]

    Might be a dumb question/idea but I have a whole section of painted wood (painted long ago) that is filthy and needs new paint. Would using a pressure washer, waiting a few days, and then painting it cause problems?

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 01:00 PM PST

    I can't think of any other way to clean it properly before painting. I have a moisture meter and thought maybe I could check it after gingerly hitting it with the pressure. Then slap on the paint. Other option I suppose would be kinda sweep at it and use a leaf blower. Then paint it, but I would be painting over a lot of miscellaneous stuff most likely. It isn't going to be a finesse job either way but I don't think paint will do too well if the wood happened to retain moisture, however using a pressure washer seems the best way to get it cleaned up the best and easiest, seeing as I have all kinds of other projects. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/AGraveToBuryYouIn
    [link] [comments]

    Tried to change out old light switch and found this...

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 10:54 AM PST

    Is this knob and tube? How do I fix this?

    http://imgur.com/gallery/GUXGWNp

    submitted by /u/Z0diaQ
    [link] [comments]

    Soffit & Fascia Repair/Replace - Roofer or Carpenter?

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 11:04 AM PST

    I need to get portions of the soffit and fascia on my 104 year old house replaced. The current soffits and fascia may be original to the house. Am I better of hiring a roofer or carpenter to perform the work?

    submitted by /u/Sceptical_dc
    [link] [comments]

    Cracked light switches

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 03:11 PM PST

    I have a number of cracked light switches in my house. My fiancée and I moved into the house in July, 2020. The house built back in 2004. I'm not sure how this happens. Anyone have any ideas?

    submitted by /u/Lax-Captain29
    [link] [comments]

    Tried to clean porous bathroom stone tiles with clorox bleach. Then mopped the tiles with water and floor soap. Floor now feels weird. What do I do?

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 09:27 PM PST

    Just moved into a new apartment. Bathroom tiles are porous and made of real stone. Never lived in a place with this type of flooring before, so I didn't know what to expect.

    Was doing some cleaning, cleaned the bathroom floor with clorox. When I realised that this wasn't working, I tried to mop it up with warm water and soap. Now my bathroom floor feels sticky when I walk on it, and when I come out of the shower with wet feet, the floor feels like it's becoming soapy.

    How do I fix this? Or did I permanently mess up my floor?

    submitted by /u/weinventedtime
    [link] [comments]

    Borrowed friend's wet/dry vac - now I need?!

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 04:03 PM PST

    For starters - I'm not sure I really need the "wet" portion, or even a "shop vac" is really what I want? I just don't want to use my in-home vacuum for cleaning the extra-dirty garage + sawdust I create from projects.

    Main uses, as I see it, are: Keep garage clean in addition to just regular brooming, cleaning out car, using in conjunction with woodworking cleanup/sawdust collection

    I've borrowed my friends WD10600, which is the first one I've ever used.

    I want one that is smaller for sure, corded is okay I think, and living in a townhome I suppose a quieter one would be ideal... and blower functionality would be a great bonus. I've looked at the compact Ryobi cordless one and it seems to peak out at CFM whereas this one is 160! Is this one really 3.5x more suction power?

    Any recommendations on a nice compact solution?

    submitted by /u/kaitlyn2004
    [link] [comments]

    Is postal/zip code bump real?

    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 01:15 PM PST

    Is it true that contractors will generally quote higher if you live in an upscale area because they assume you have more disposable income? If yes then how do you avoid this?

    submitted by /u/McKellarLite
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment