• Breaking News

    Sunday, November 29, 2020

    Home security: Outdoor cameras that can't be jammed.

    Home security: Outdoor cameras that can't be jammed.


    Outdoor cameras that can't be jammed.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 11:35 AM PST

    Someone attempted to break into my home over the holiday while I was out of town for 3 days, and I'm pretty sure they used a jammer to kill my wireless camera feed based on the mysterious lack of video feed while it was happening. We installed hurricane glass on all the doors and windows last fall, and that's the only reason they didn't get in, but it wasn't for lack of trying - they did a ton of damage. Anyway, we only have wireless cameras right now because we live right near the ocean, so our home is on stilts, which makes running wires significantly more difficult than on ground-level homes. Obviously, this situation has kind of smacked us in the face that we need to bite the bullet and get something more secure that can't be jammed, but while we are pretty handy and do most projects ourselves (minus advanced electrical), neither my husband nor I are very advanced when it comes to technology, so we are clueless about true security cameras.

    After scrolling through this sub, it seems like we just need to get someone out here to run some wires for wired cameras, and I've seen a couple of brands repeatedly mentioned as better quality, but is getting wired cameras enough to prevent jamming in the future, or is there something else I need to look for specifically in a camera that would prevent jamming? I didn't realize how ridiculously cheap and easy to obtain a jammer could be, so shame on me for that. Also, I've seen some cameras that have SD cards included to store video feed. I feel like this would be good to have as a backup, and it seems like we would also need to have a battery backup in case someone cuts the power (or it just goes out).

    I realize it will probably be expensive to find outdoor cameras with all these features, and I don't want to cheap out, but I don't want to spend a fortune on equipment either since the electrician to run the wires and the replacement of hurricane glass are going to cost a ton already. (Edit - I would probably be OK with around $200 per camera, but obviously less is better if it's comparable quality to a more expensive one.) Thanks in advance for helping this amateur with any suggestions.

    submitted by /u/saison257
    [link] [comments]

    What does your wiring look like for POE cameras to a DVR?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 09:35 PM PST

    I'm trying to plan an outdoor system and I'm trying to visualize what the wiring/setup would look like.

    If I go with POE cameras to a DVR, does that mean I would have an ethernet cable from each camera that, at some point, would be drilled through into the side of my house, fed through the attic, then fed to and down the wall of the room I want the DVR in, and then, say I have 5 cameras, I would have 5 ethernet cables running out of the wall plate in that room in order to plug into the DVR?

    submitted by /u/axkoam
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions for monitoring street for gunfire and racing?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 10:21 PM PST

    I'm working on choosing a home security system. The atypical feature I want in our system is monitoring the busy street in front of our property. Our street has recently had driving shoot-outs and illegal (loud & modded) vehicles racing. I'd like to capture video evidence in case our home is affected but obviously can't use motion detection as a trigger because of the other traffic. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/coloraturfly
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best security system in 2020?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 09:55 PM PST

    I know that really depends on a lot of things but I'm building a house and want to get a wired in system (if that's a better option than wireless? I'm assuming?).

    I want a modern system with smart features but there is so much out there I just don't know what's good and what's not.

    What would you recommend for a new house?

    submitted by /u/Jardolam_
    [link] [comments]

    FLIR NVR APP FIX - IOS/ANDROID - FLIR CLOUD FIX

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 09:46 PM PST

    Hi guys. For a while I've been looking for a fix for my FLIR nvr. Since lorex took over, the new app no longer worked. It simply wouldn't connect. I used to use flir cloud, but soon after it broke and the lorex solution was of no help.

    I have found the solution

    The FLIR and some LOREX nvrs are manufactured by a company called Dahua. You have to use their app. Its the only one I've found that will connect and let me access the NVR from my phone.

    1. Download iDMSS Plus. Its on IOS and android.
    2. Go to device manager, the tap the plus
    3. Select SN/SCAN
    4. Scan the QR code of the nvr, then enter the password and whatever name you want. Click the save icon.
    5. Go to the live view section, then in the top right click the device list icon.
    6. On your device, check the checkbox, and press start live view
    7. done

    Hope this was able to help someone, as I struggled with it for a while.

    submitted by /u/FLIRNVRFIX
    [link] [comments]

    Cheapest decent outdoor camera? - only needed for live local stream

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 02:57 PM PST

    I just want to have an app/browser open on my computer that shows my front yard at all times. I assume any modern camera will have decent night vision when it's dark.

    It's fine if I can check it remotely, but I really just need to view it from my local network.

    I have multiple Ring devices, but they don't work well for my need. The live stream is unreliable and glitchy, and it automatically disconnects every few minutes.

    submitted by /u/yneos
    [link] [comments]

    How to make sure the online aspect of my new system is secure?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 04:00 PM PST

    New to this sub and security systems in general, I want to make sure I don't have any loose ends with my system.

    After doing some research I bought an ONWOTE system with PoE cams and a HDD box. Setup was easy and everything is running smooth, I have it connected via Ethernet to my Comcast router so I can use the app to look at/get notifications on my phone.

    My question is, with the app login, username and password on the HDD box, and my wifi password, is that enough security or am I still vulnerable to any possible issues?

    submitted by /u/YoBaker
    [link] [comments]

    Replace Vivint doorbell camera with another

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 11:35 AM PST

    Is it a straight forward process? My house has a Vivint set up right now that hasn't been active for a year now, looking to take their doorbell off and replace it with something else. I don't overly care for the whole system, I just want a doorbell camera to check from work etc. That being said any doorbell suggestions as well?

    submitted by /u/OG-DirtNasty
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with Profesional Monitoring Choice?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 02:38 PM PST

    I bought a new house and previous owners had Xfinity as monitoring system. I shopped around called around and was presented with $850 ADT deal, which is worst company after reading so many reviews here. My question is which company to go for, as house is pre wired, I don't want to go for ring?

    Should I choose Vivinit or Alarm.com. Got a call from a company below he said he can monitor for 29.99 a month and use same equipment through alarm.con

    https://www.militiaprotection.com/smart-home-security-system

    I will be happy to hear suggestions so I can make a right choice for security monitoring

    submitted by /u/sammywhammy1
    [link] [comments]

    Drilling through external wall 25mm hole for security cameras

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 01:17 PM PST

    Hi,

    I bought Reolink security cameras which I would like to fix outside my house. I everything will be straight forward, I will get the cable through the wall, and it's done. However, when my cameras arrived, I noticed that end of the cable is 20mm thick where ethernet cable connects.

    https://postimg.cc/4KKm9Vfx

    If I want to get this cable through the wall, I need to drill at least 25mm hole.

    And this raises my concern if that is not going to damage my external wall or house structure in general?

    submitted by /u/menulius
    [link] [comments]

    how to capture raw frames from a HD-cvi source

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 09:22 AM PST

    I have several 4k HD-cvi cameras that I'd like to capture raw video feeds from for computer vision algorithm testing. I haven't been able to find any PC capture cards that will do 4k, so the only solution that I currently see is to get a HD-cvi to hdmi converter like this https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Adapter-Monitor-Convert-Signal/dp/B07P6FDBJX and then use an hdmi capture card. Another possible option is something like this https://usasecuritysystems.com/product/blackmagic-bmd-bdlkhdextr4k12g-design-decklink-4k-extreme-12g/ but I've yet to find a capture card that takes in HD-cvi at 4k. I'm willing to replace some of my cameras but I'm really hoping to be able to use existing cheap home surveillance tech instead of expensive of really expensive machine vision cameras. My DVR has 16 ports for $200, I should be able to get a simple HD-cvi frame grabber for a reasonable price.

    submitted by /u/percocetpenguin
    [link] [comments]

    Smart camera that can detect animals and alert me.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 08:49 AM PST

    I have many different animals come and go from my garden and I would like alerts when they come in so we can watch them. What is the best camera for this?

    submitted by /u/jt663
    [link] [comments]

    Best wireless camera system for a home? Looking for 8 cameras all outside to be able to see in the night.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 09:46 AM PST

    Tl, dr: Best wireless camera system for a home? Looking for 8 cameras all outside to be able to see in the night.

    Long: In the last 2 weeks, I've had 4 different people reach out to me to install cameras in their home. I am on the verge of starting my own company. I am looking for a mid-range budget and a high-range budget system to recommend to install in homes.

    Mid-cost: Wireless. Mid-cost: Wired.

    High-cost: Wireless. High-cost: Wired.

    submitted by /u/DominicHennig1
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment