• Breaking News

    Saturday, November 28, 2020

    Home Improvement: My SO’s gym has switched to Zoom-based classes because of COVID, so we converted our second bedroom into a workout space for her. Big improvement over jamming her stuff into the corner of the living room and having to rearrange furniture every day when it’s time for her workout.

    Home Improvement: My SO’s gym has switched to Zoom-based classes because of COVID, so we converted our second bedroom into a workout space for her. Big improvement over jamming her stuff into the corner of the living room and having to rearrange furniture every day when it’s time for her workout.


    My SO’s gym has switched to Zoom-based classes because of COVID, so we converted our second bedroom into a workout space for her. Big improvement over jamming her stuff into the corner of the living room and having to rearrange furniture every day when it’s time for her workout.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 05:48 AM PST

    Here's an Imgur link to some photos of how I installed the mounting hardware for the TRX equipment.

    Essentially, I just drilled some 1/2" holes through the lath and plaster, poked a dowel rod up into the attic so I could find the holes through the blown-in cellulose, and used some 1/2" x 12" carriage bolts that run through double-stacked 2x8s spanning across three ceiling joists.

    Playing around in blown-in cellulose isn't so bad once you realize that you're going to be completely covered in it regardless of what you do.

    A respirator is a must for working in an attic with blown-in cellulose. I could not believe the amount of fine dust that gets churned up whenever the insulation is disturbed. The filters on my respirator clogged up really quickly!

    submitted by /u/GoPetADog
    [link] [comments]

    After seeing the post on knob and tube wiring and reading people sharing their electrical horror stories, wanted to share what every single outlet and switch looked like in my house...

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 02:17 PM PST

    See pictures here. Every single outlet and switch on an exterior wall looked like this one when I moved in. I have absolutely no idea what the person was thinking when they did this, but it was the biggest pain in the ass to fix and remove the foam from each outlet. They were stuck in there (first picture shows how I messed up the all trying to pry it out) and then having to scrape it all. Spent over a day just replacing switches and outlets because of this...

    submitted by /u/mattyboi4216
    [link] [comments]

    I hate my claw foot tub

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 06:29 PM PST

    I just took my first shower in our new home after a day of moving and I hate it! The floor was soaked, the walls are soaked. I can't reach the shelves because of the wrap around shower curtain. And worst of all it's about 6" too short to be usable. I've never done any plumbing work before and to be honest I'm not interested in doing it myself. I'm going to call a plumber in the morning but I'm not even sure what to ask them to do. Make it taller? Rip the whole thing out? Tile the walls? This is a 100 year old row home in Philadelphia.

    submitted by /u/sound_is_butter
    [link] [comments]

    My bathroom remodel is complete!

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 08:36 PM PST

    http://imgur.com/a/97vXQSX

    This was my first big home improvement project and the first time I've delt with contractors. Learned a lot, definitely some things I will and won't do for next time.

    Aside from trim around the door and window, and the glass showere door, my bathroom remodel is done!

    Huge improvement over the old one. Much brighter, more useful. While the walls were open i had the full stack replaced, wired in a circuit for a bidet, added outlets, and ran electrical to two adjoining closets for an outlet and light fixture in each.

    I am building some teak shelves into the nook we uncovered in the wall, to add additional storage.

    Pulling the mirror off the door and rehabbing it as well

    Project details

    Budget $15,000

    Labor, permits, consumables & rough plumbing $9000

    Everything else $6000

    Tile $1500

    Vanity $1500

    Accessories- $400

    Lighting $300

    Plumbing fixtures, valves, toilet $2300

    All plumbing fixtures are Kohler, faucets and shower are Purist brushed modern gold., shower has a temperature valve, that can handle 10gpm, then each shower fixture has an individual flow valve, ( rain head, shower head, hand shower)

    submitted by /u/TallMikeSTL
    [link] [comments]

    Wildly sloped floors. How expensive to fix?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 04:24 PM PST

    I did something crazy and bought a 200+ year old house, sight unseen. On the first walkthrough, the number one thing that stuck out is how slope, warped, the floors are one the second floor and converted attic space.

    On the 3rd floor, the 'outside' edge of the floor is several inches higher than in the middle area. I would say as much a 5-6 inches. The second floor it's not as bad, but still very noticeable in a chair with wheels.

    The house 'seems' structurally sound, but how screwed am I here?

    submitted by /u/Cyberdogs7
    [link] [comments]

    Should laminate flooring go under kitchen cabinets or just up to them?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 03:13 PM PST

    I am planning on installing new waterproof laminate floors in my kitchen and also having the cabinets redone around the same time. My question is, is it better to rip the cabinets out and install the floors wall to wall and then have the new cabinets sit on top? Or should I just install the floors up to the base of the cabinets?

    The current ones look like poorly done diy. They just go up to to cabinets, not under the dishwasher, but they do go under the oven and refrigerator. Should I follow this?

    submitted by /u/dogsandplantsandnaps
    [link] [comments]

    How would you fix this corner?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 07:07 AM PST

    https://imgur.com/a/am8s6Nv

    I've got this corner door post and it's lifted off the ground. There's a good inch underneath it and I honestly have no idea how I'd go about doing anything to it.

    Was thinking of scribing it onto a block of wood under it and then putting on quarter round to hide it but any ideas would be helpful! Thank you!

    submitted by /u/kctrem
    [link] [comments]

    Teak shower floor - yea or nay

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 05:58 PM PST

    I like the idea of adding a warm, wood element to my white tile-heavy bathroom. But, I don't want to add a maintenance headache. I've read that teak can be prone to mildew and needs to be oiled periodically. Does anyone have any direct experience? I'm talking about a removable wooden platform.

    submitted by /u/bibbimbopper
    [link] [comments]

    What a nice Thanksgiving gift, mold! �� Any tips?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 03:11 PM PST

    https://imgur.com/a/Hfw9Xzl
    Siigghhh. Bought it a year ago. Looks like water was getting in behind the window. Outside is fixed and water tight again. Planning to rip and replace all the water stained and molded drywall. Think that will do the trick? We're going to remodel in the next year and that window will be replaced and wall to the studs anyhow. Trying to make it good enough till then.
    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/dbrez8
    [link] [comments]

    What do I need to know about ceiling storage in the garage?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 03:33 PM PST

    Trying to not fuck my home up. Can any garage ceiling accommodate shelving?

    submitted by /u/theimmortalvirus
    [link] [comments]

    Basement Utility Toilet New Install Question

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 04:22 PM PST

    I have a home with just one full bathroom and am thinking about adding an extra toilet to the basement as it's a smaller home and there is no space on the main or upstairs level to add one, and addition would be way out of budget.

    The basement has been professionally waterproofed by the previous owner, but it's not finished. All utility pipes are able to be easily accessed, including the main sewer line.

    This toilet would be purely utilitarian, and there would be no plans to finish the basement in the future (will likely be moving within 5 years). There is a utility sink and Washer in the basement already.

    I would need to hire out as I do not have the time/confidence to pull off a diy self install, but am wondering what may be a reasonable ballpark to expect to install a functioning toilet in the basement if aesthetics do not matter?

    submitted by /u/stefonelkeaster
    [link] [comments]

    Laundry room problem. The washer drains into a floor drain, but not perfectly. after every load, there is water that pools around the drain. How would you address this? Short term and/or long term ideas would be appreciated!

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 02:08 PM PST

    Replacing Low Voltage Smart Thermostat for Hydronic Heated Floors

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 04:19 PM PST

    I am looking to replace my low voltage non-programmable thermostat for my heated floors. The floors are supplied with hot water from a water heater and there is a floor sensor that is connected to the thermostat.

    I am looking for a smart, programmable, wifi thermostat that is low voltage, but am struggling to come together with some options.

    I found this sinope one, which seems okay, but is not available yet.

    There other option was using a nest thermostat without the floor sensor, and using the True Radiant mode.

    Has anyone else done something similar and have any recommendations?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/dicknolan
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any NEC code about low voltage wiring running across (perpendicular) the bottom of joists?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 04:15 PM PST

    I've honestly tried to find something on this but can't. I'm hoping that means I'll be fine but just in case I wanna get more thoughts.

    I'm looking to run a bunch of data and a few cable wires in my unfinished basement. The way our basement is set up, unfortunately running perpendicular to the joists is the direction I need to go. I'd rather not drill more holes in them just for low voltage wiring and I've found what would be a really nice solution with some 3d printed hooks, but I don't know if there's any restrictions in the code about running them from joist to joist hanging off the bottom like there is with power.

    We're having a remodel done elsewhere in the house next year and I'd prefer for my basement wiring to not be the thing that screws up any inspections.

    Edit: I'm located in MA. I know state to state things can be screwy (and MA is a bit on the screwier side), so I figured just asking about NEC so I can at least see if there's any baseline no-goes would be a good start.

    submitted by /u/BrownNote
    [link] [comments]

    A bad smell

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 06:15 PM PST

    A smell appeared in my daughters bedroom, it started gradually and then it was bad like something was rotting, went through everything looking for it, i felt like a hound looking for a fox, but found nothing, i discovered the smell in the wall coming from a plug i took out, does anyone know what i can do or what it could be???? I'm at a loss!!!

    submitted by /u/Fatboybaby666
    [link] [comments]

    How to remove these 2x4's nailed into studs?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 02:11 PM PST

    I removed some old shelving in my garage but there are these 2x4's that are nailed through drywall into studs. How can I remove them with minimal damage to the drywall and studs?

    Here is an album showing the boards: https://imgur.com/a/zuHhPjh

    I tried using a crowbar to remove it, but it just damaged the drywall pretty well as you can see in this picture. https://imgur.com/a/JbTFCnl

    I'll probably be patching or replacing the drywall anyways, so it might not matter. But if I can cleanly remove these boards, that would be preferable.

    submitted by /u/FinalDoughnut5
    [link] [comments]

    Well, can anyone tell me what I’m looking at?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 04:39 PM PST

    Bought the house two years ago. I've been wondering about this ceiling for a while so tonight I just removed a small panel. I have no idea whether I can take this all down and paint the existing drywall ceiling or? Help. Pics in comment.

    submitted by /u/a_bag_of_donuts
    [link] [comments]

    Help identifying what this is

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 04:28 PM PST

    Found this copper? cord in my kitchen. Does anyone know what it is?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/ZylETD3

    submitted by /u/serialphile
    [link] [comments]

    How should I seal these basement window frames?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 01:50 PM PST

    I think cold air and moisture come in around these window frames. Spray foam would look bad. Silicone?

    https://imgur.com/a/gZuUOrx

    submitted by /u/Rivermill
    [link] [comments]

    New house - electric rewiring and network/telephone equipment corner ideas - UK

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 04:21 PM PST

    Currently I am buying a mid-terraced house in UK which needs refurbishment, and electrical rewiring. So I will be rewiring the house, and installing a telephone socket for internet.

    Since I will have this rare expensive opportunity at rewiring, I want to do it right. Here are two things I cannot decide on.

    1. telephone socket for internet. In UK you get a small router device with WiFi, but that will not be enough. I will be connecting a PoE switch and Unifi AP on the other side of the house so that wifi signal can be reached from the garden, I will also have one or two computers that I will want to connect with cable to my network. So I need some sort of place where all those network devices will be. One place I can think of is understairs cupboard, where I have the rest of my stuff like meters (electric, gas), but I am concerned about dust and ventilation though. Second place is near entrance door, inside the house, on top, in a small comms cabinet. But that will not looks nice, plus I would need to buy and mount cabinet, plus it will mean that one of my wifi signal sources will be in the corner of the house on the ground floor. Third Idea is in the loft, but loft is not even boarded and has nothing in except disconnected water tanks and rubbish. I have no other ideas.

    What sort of equipment I would want to keep hidden and tidy: ISP wifi router, telephone socket, Raspberry Pi, network switch and maybe one computer without monitor and keyboard, which will be a server for various house stuff and camera recordings.

    1. I always thought that in my new house I will have RJ45 sockets in each room, but I do not know if it will be necessary really. Maybe some USB and HDMI sockets as well. I would like to avoid cable clutter or loose cables in the house. I can install RJ45 sockets myself, but I will ask electrician to run cat6 cables at the same time he will be rewiring the house. I guess I just need to decide myself where I want the sockets, probably I am just wondering if anyone done something like this?

    This is our first house, and I really want to make it right and nice. Modern and connected, and will be researching about making it smart, with my hands and not too much of investment.

    submitted by /u/AccomplishedComplex8
    [link] [comments]

    Falling into a new homebuyer negative mindset. How do I get out of this trap?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 10:08 AM PST

    Kind of like the title says. We are closing on a decent house in a great neighborhood. It actually appraised for more than what we are paying.

    Anyway, I am kind of falling into a negative mindset. There is nothing urgently wrong with the house, but cosmetically it needs a ton of work. Im realizing that I might not have the time or budget to change everything we want to about the house.

    The main level walls and trim need repainted, which we can do, and some doors need updated. All doable but with a lot of work. Upstairs is the same story.

    What is really stressing me out is the floors. Hardwood on the main level (looks a little old and scratched) and some kind of weird wood tile in the dining room. Not sure if hardwood is underneath but would be impossible to make this match if not without changing the main level flooring bedrooms upstairs have hardwood , carpet in the hallway upstairs and the ugliest carpet in the basement you will ever see.

    I guess im becoming overwhelmed on the cosmetic stuff. Has anyone had this similar issue?

    submitted by /u/Man-0n-The-Moon
    [link] [comments]

    Wrecked bathroom vanity need help [florida]

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 09:01 PM PST

    Hello, I have a white stone (don't know what kind, don't think it's granite)

    I accidentally left a letter on there and the ink stained the top. I used acetone to clean .. it lightened the stain the but the stain is still visible... Is there anything else I can do to remove the stain?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/stainlesssteelspoon
    [link] [comments]

    Island countertop advice

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 09:01 PM PST

    Bought a 98 year old house with a 3.5' x 7.5' kitchen island with a Formica countertop. It has a mounted range top that we're replacing so we want to replace the countertop as well. Under the Formica is five sheets of layered plywood. What would you do that is DIY novice friendly and not crazy expensive?

    submitted by /u/mean_agnes
    [link] [comments]

    Is this toilet ring height too high?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 02:52 PM PST

    Recently had some plumbing replaced. As the pipe was under my slab I did all the grunt work to expose the pipes, only needing plumber to replace them. Saved some good money, learning along the way. Now the pipes are repaired, I need to get humpty dumpty put back together.

    I'm thinking I have a potential issue on my hands, and would like to get some insight before I go too much further. If I need to get the plumber back out to fix, I don't want to have to tear up the concrete again.

    THIS is a picture of what I'm working with. The second pic shows how high up the top of the toilet ring is from the slab. Assuming that there's a plug in the drain pipe right now that sits ~1/8 inch above the top of the ring, and that the tile will take up approximately 1/4 inch of the gap, I'm thinking that this ring is sitting anywhere from 3/4" to 1" off of the finished surface.

    Any thoughts? I'm totally new to all of this, but some googling has me thinking I should stop and have them come out to lower that ring. Just wanted to check before calling them, as it's free under "warranty" but if it IS at an appropriate level it's going to cost me time (waiting for their availability) and money (no warranty = pay call-out fee)

    Or, alternatively, if it's too high, but only a little bit, is there an easy fix that doesn't risk screwing things up?

    Appreciate it! This is my first foray into anything home related, just trying not to screw it up!

    submitted by /u/BurninRubbers
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment