• Breaking News

    Tuesday, November 10, 2020

    Home Improvement: How do I dispose of mortar mix that I put way too water in?

    Home Improvement: How do I dispose of mortar mix that I put way too water in?


    How do I dispose of mortar mix that I put way too water in?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 09:29 AM PST

    I put too much water in when I was mixing Rapid Set mortar mix. I was just going to buy more to add it in, but the job is actually more than I can handle so I hired someone and now I don't need it.

    How do I get rid of it safely?

    Edit: I didn't realize how quickly it would set. I thought it was going to stay liquid for a long time and I didn't want to dump it down the sewer. It's a solid block already. Now I have a monument to my failure.

    Edit 2: Well, well, well. This is the most attention I have ever gotten online, ever. It's a shame that's it's because people thought that I was about to cause an environmental disaster.

    I have never done any masonry work before. I haven't done any masonry work still. I didn't know that this problem was going to resolve itself and so quickly. If I had known, I wouldn't have posted anything at all. But then we wouldn't have gone on this little adventure together, would we?

    To be clear: I was never going to dump it down the drain. I didn't even consider it. I just had a bucket of liquid that I didn't know how to get rid of. But, I do concede that even mentioning a sewer could give the impression that I thought about dumping it. In my own defense, however, I did use the word "safely." Which sort of implies that I knew that there was a correct and more importantly, incorrect way to dispose of it.

    I also admit that there are many idiots in this world and you don't have any way to know if I'm one of them or not.

    It is interesting how a poorly worded post could lead to such a misunderstanding. It's weird to be on the inside of such a thing. I thank all that is holy that I don't feel the need to share opinions on Twitter and Facebook. That certainly wouldn't be as fun as this thread.

    So where do we go from here?

    First of all, I'm going to develop a strong can't do attitude and leave the work to the professionals. Secondly, I'm going to buy every box of Rapid Set mortar I can find and make one block after another. Then I'm going to stack them on top of each other. One, after another, after another, after another. I'm going to keep stacking until I reach heaven itself. You will see it on the news. Every one will marvel at what I have done. Presidents and kings and queens and popes will ask to meet me. And every one of you will ask yourselves, "Isn't that the guy who almost fucked up a drain that one time?"

    The beginning.

    submitted by /u/unendingbeauty
    [link] [comments]

    Home built on Indian burial mound

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 10:57 AM PST

    Checked out a home for sale today that's on 4 acres of gorgeous land. The agent to agent remarks say the home is built on an Indian burial mound. I'm waiting to see the exact disclosure wording, but wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this. I'm not really worried about haunted house kind of concerns but maybe I should be 😁. We would be considering adding on to the home (existing home is on a slab and bermed on one side) so also curious if there would be any kind of building restrictions, etc to consider. This is in Ohio. Any input?

    submitted by /u/callmethetrees
    [link] [comments]

    My neighbors have been blaring loud music all day today and it feels like I have no escape in my 100+ year old brick home. What are my options to increase my soundproofing so I can't hear outside?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 02:10 PM PST

    So my office is on the 2nd floor towards the backyard and my neighbors have been blaring music all day, it sounds like it's right outside even though I'm 30 feet away plus a whole story above them. What are my options to reduce the sound pollution in my house from outside?

    submitted by /u/smartalec12
    [link] [comments]

    Home looks depressing

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 01:55 AM PST

    So everything in my home is what my mom left me, and the tiles are mismatched because she couldn't afford to buy more of the same. Think extreme cheapskates when that guy wanted to sell his house and he takes carpet samples to cover holes/stains in the livingroom. Walls haven't been painted in 10+ years. Furniture is that light brown color in the kitchen and old and brown in the living room. Let me know some channels, articles or pics for inspiration. Also DIYs would be nice, because I'm constantly broke. Really need to renovate soon, I want to open a beauty business at home and I won't keep customers with the state this apartment is in.

    submitted by /u/yoanna008
    [link] [comments]

    How much did you change your house since you owned it?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 11:25 AM PST

    Just out of curiosity. We bought a nice home in a great area, but there are some cosmetic things we would really like to do that would have to be over time (can't really afford to do carpet, paint, and new interior doors like we wanted right away).

    Anyway, several people told me that it takes at least a couple years to get the house how you would want it after purchase. Is this usually the case?

    submitted by /u/Man-0n-The-Moon
    [link] [comments]

    What DIY project are you most proud of?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 09:06 AM PST

    We all have a project that was DIY; your spouse may not appreciate it but damned if you don't. What are you proud of?

    submitted by /u/jgladding
    [link] [comments]

    Floating shelf advice

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 07:36 PM PST

    Hello, I would like to put up a floating shelf above my TV to display picture frames as there is a lot of empty space above the TV. I just can't find a shelf with the length that I want. Would be ok if I grabbed two or three shall ones and placed them side by side? Any recommendations?

    submitted by /u/Pannie_1
    [link] [comments]

    Can I reverse a inward swinging exterior door?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 09:04 PM PST

    So I got this awesome door for my school bus conversion but it swings inwards instead of outwards and that won't work because the entry stairs are in the way. It fits in perfectly backwards but then the door hinges are exposed on the outside. Is this a big safety concern? Is there anything I can do so I don't have to worry about someone taking off my door to break in? I would much rather use what I have than try and sell this and purchase a new door so I'd love to hear y'alls recommendations. https://imgur.com/gallery/bYjNfhw

    submitted by /u/Shlumpedsyd
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the piece called that fits on the bottom of sliding wood doors?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 07:29 PM PST

    Preferably something that sticks on top of tile. My sliding wood doors are just kind of hanging there and sway all over the place. I can't for the life of me google to find it because I get shitloads of door tracks and not the little plastic guide piece. Also would be great if it could just stick on the tile. I know it wouldn't be too secure but will be easy enough to just stick a new one on.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/ImdEqta

    submitted by /u/crek42
    [link] [comments]

    Help filling wood rot/crack

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 02:21 PM PST

    Sorry if this is a silly question. I'm new to home repair and I'm trying to fill a crack on the bottom of a wooden garage frame.

    https://imgur.com/6vH7cfb

    From my research, it seems like any silicone based caulk that's paintable is appropriate. DAP DYNAFLEX 230 Sealant seems to tick all the boxes.

    Would really appreciate it if someone could share their opinion! Thank you!

    It seems like Bondo is a popular choice. Luckily, I have some lying around from patching up my car so this is perfect! I'm surprised it's so versatile. Thank you for everyone's suggestions!

    submitted by /u/Schnugger
    [link] [comments]

    Metal roofing storage question

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 07:15 PM PST

    Wasn't able to start my roof before we got a bunch of snow.. can I leave the roofing materials in the packages in my driveway throughout winter or until I can get a warm weekend and a few guys to help?

    submitted by /u/_The__Dude__
    [link] [comments]

    How to remove this workbench?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 07:12 PM PST

    Have an old workbench I would like to remove. It is attached to the wall. Don't know where to start. Appreciate suggestions. Where do I start? What tools do I need? TIA.

    submitted by /u/LYC7
    [link] [comments]

    Need to put an exhaust fan on bathroom wall for humidity. Can’t mount to ceiling.

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 06:23 AM PST

    The side exhaust port on a bathroom vent fan doesn't give me enough room to fit a 90 degree elbow. A straight through exhaust fan would be better. Is there any difference between dedicated bathroom vent fans and standard exhaust fans?

    submitted by /u/CuriousernCurioser
    [link] [comments]

    Help with squeaky floor.

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 06:59 PM PST

    I'm currently installing new laminate flooring on my house, I already put a bunch of screws in the plywood subfloor to try to tighten the subfloor and eliminate the squeaks but it did not work at all. Is there something else I can do?

    submitted by /u/jaime2304
    [link] [comments]

    Please help me safely grow the devil's lettuce

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 10:41 PM PST

    My state finally passed rec cannabis. Over night, I was no longer considered a degenerate in the eyes of the law.

    I want to use a 4'x4' flower bed with soil. It will be around 170 gallons of soil. No idea what it will be wet but someone said it'd be 1000 pounds.

    No idea if that's true. But it did make me wonder...what is the maximum amount of weight I can safely have on the 2nd floor of a 2 story home in a 4x4 bed for the purpose of growing the devil's lettuce.

    submitted by /u/GhoulTimes
    [link] [comments]

    Painting kitchen cabinets

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 10:39 AM PST

    We have been in our current house for 4 years and I knew before we moved in that I wanted to paint the cabinets white (currently yellow oak). The house was a HUD foreclosure, and we have now redone every surface in the house except the kitchen. The plan is paint cabinets and replace counter/sink since this isn't our forever home.

    My question is - have you painted cabinets yourself, and if so would you do it again or just hire someone? Its a smaller kitchen. I have gotten quotes in the past ranging from $1500 - $3000. I was sold on paying someone else to do it and then covid hit. I am considering again doing it myself. I dont care if it takes a long time just working on it after kids go to bed. I am just intimidated by covering the wood grain with spackle and ensuring a smooth surface. Particularly on the boxes. I feel like the doors will be easier.

    I have zero interest in outright replacing the cabinets. I did that in the last house. With current lifestyle and the installed hardwood floors I have, that isnt an option this go round

    submitted by /u/blueskieslemontrees
    [link] [comments]

    Creaking noises coming from drywall-mounted TV.

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 10:28 PM PST

    There are these clicking and creating noises coming from a TV that was mounted on studs through drywall. The mounting was done by someone from TaskRabbit and was done 10-11 months ago. I don't recall these noises always being there. But I hear them everyday now. They aren't super loud but definitely loud enough to hear from across the room. Like wood being strained or creaking floorboards.

    Is this a cause for worry? If so, how urgent? The mount still seems very flush with the wall with no cracks or anything and the guy who did the mounting did find a stud or two to mount it on.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/evenMoreUnique
    [link] [comments]

    Are air admittance valves allowed in Denver?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 10:27 PM PST

    I can't get a call back from local inspector and I get different answers from plumbers. I figured I would try my luck if anyone in the Denver area can tell me if air admittance valves are legal in Denver? I can't vent a new basement sink without one in my old house.

    submitted by /u/pistilloyd
    [link] [comments]

    Can you hire an architect to redesign house, then do the work yourself?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 06:40 PM PST

    I have an older small house (<1000sf) which is just meh. I have a few somewhat major goals in mind and a high degree of DIY abilities/motivation, but am not good with detailed planning or aesthetic design. If I wanted to hire someone just for design services, who would I go to? Am I looking at a few thousand US dollars or ten thousand or more?

    -raise the flat roof above garage (low ceilings) and then finish interior for use as an office or bedroom. Make it look normal from the street, not like a garage without a door. -remove worn out chimney and replace furnace with a force-vented type (no chimney required)...sized to accommodate the new finished garage. -reroute hvac and utilities in basement so the space feels more open

    Would an architect be helpful? An engineer? General contractor?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/bobobado2
    [link] [comments]

    New Roof failed Contractor replaced and it failed again

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 07:34 AM PST

    Hi guys,

    Looking for some input. Had a new roof installed last year and it had wall to roof flashing leaks since the initial installation. After numerous repairs, the roofing company saw they had screwed up and ripped up the roof and reinstalled. This time they cut off the old stucco, installed flashing/membrane and shingled. They did not stucco the flashing yet and after this weekends storms every room in my house is wet. Is this something I should allow the roofer to fix or should I involve my own insurance? What would you do?

    Photos : https://imgur.com/a/bBhZCe0

    Updated Flashing photos: https://imgur.com/a/bGDJgIO

    submitted by /u/CurbsEnthusiasm
    [link] [comments]

    Feasibility of Relocating Wired Doorbell Switch on Door Frame

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 09:57 PM PST

    I am considering installing a second Ring Video Doorbell Pro outside my mudroom door. The current switch is mounted on the medial surface of the side jamb as seen in the photos. Instead of using a 30- or 45-degree wedge and creating a bulky affair protruding into the entryway, I wanted to know what I would encounter in attempting to move the wires powering the switch to the anterior surface of the jamb (blue "X") so that the ring doorbell is forward-facing. This would positively impact function and appearance. Thanks in advance. DoorbellSwitchLocation Close-up

    submitted by /u/JohnEndopax
    [link] [comments]

    Are these power recepticle kits to code?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 09:51 PM PST

    https://www.amazon.ca/Datacomm-50-3323-Wh-Kit-Panel-Organizer-Solution/dp/B001PB7UVA/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2XXQB43A5U6OQ&dchild=1&keywords=datacomm%2Bcable%2Borganizer%2Bkit&qid=1605051305&sprefix=datacomm%2Caps%2C201&sr=8-1&th=1

    Want to mount my TV and install one of these in my home to hide the wires but don't want to void my insurance. Located in Alberta, Canada.

    Thanks for any answers.

    submitted by /u/SilverLion
    [link] [comments]

    "Stay off my grass!"

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 02:18 PM PST

    I bought a new construction home recently on a corner lot in the cul de sac. A host of construction trucks have ridden over and destroyed my grass along the perimeter. The builder will replace the grass.

    But, my question is what can I place in my yard to deter trucks from cutting the curve short and destroying the grass when it's replaced? Ideally, something that has curb appeal would be nice.

    Thanks for any recommendations.

    submitted by /u/newjillcity
    [link] [comments]

    Realistically and practically, what is wrong with using an extension cable permanently?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 03:47 PM PST

    I know extension cables aren't supposed to be installed permanently. What would happen if you got a long extension cord (of sufficient gauge) and ran it underground and through conduit as if it was permanent electric cable and used it that way.

    Obviously this would go against code and break all sorts of rules. But practically, what would happen and what would the actual dangers be?

    This is sort of a philosophical question. To put it another way, why did the people who created the UF code decide that extension cords are temporary devices?

    submitted by /u/brentonstrine
    [link] [comments]

    House is like swiss cheese!

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 09:44 PM PST

    I recently bought the house that my grandparents built back in 1952. The house has great bones and is very structurally sound but as you can imagine it needs some updating. For context, my grandma passed away 5 years ago and my grandpa died the year I was born so it's been neglected for some time. It has just been kept as a place to relax after working on the farm. Anyway, we have put a ton of money into it and have replaced almost everything but the one thing I'm having trouble with is the house being very drafty. We have replaced the insulation in the walls on half the house and all new windows but when there is a wind, you can feel it come out of the outlets and behind the sheetrock. I would imagine it's all coming from the attic if it's in the walls but what can I do about it? Do I need to have new insulation sprayed in? My propane bill for heating is going to be wild. Help please.

    submitted by /u/Dixo0118
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment