• Breaking News

    Sunday, November 1, 2020

    Home Improvement: Built a COVID garage gym. How can I use it this winter without turning into a Popsicle?

    Home Improvement: Built a COVID garage gym. How can I use it this winter without turning into a Popsicle?


    Built a COVID garage gym. How can I use it this winter without turning into a Popsicle?

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 10:31 AM PST

    G'day!

    Motivated by COVID I've slowly pieced together a decent home gym set up in my garage. I am in Southwestern Ontario with pretty mean winters and I'd really like to take some actions that would allow me to comfortably use my set up throughout the entire year.

    It's a 1.5 car garage. The walls are dry-walled and I have no idea if there is insulation behind them. I poked my head in the attic above the garage to find there is no insulation in the roof at all, leading me to believe the walls are without insulation as well. The large garage door doesn't look to have any kind of spectacular R value. There is also an entry door in the rear that is made from wood that doesn't have a good fit. Lots of leaves and debris get through it so I know the seal is piss-poor.

    With all that in mind, what would be the best bang for my buck in terms of winterizing this garage? Is it easier to just buy a good heater that will keep me warm while I'm working out and not worry about insulating? I'd appreciate any feedback about how I can economically warm my gym without freezing my balls off.

    Thanks in advance!

    Edit: To not come off as lazy, these are a few of the ideas I've thought about:

    • Using a garage door insulation kit
    • Putting fiberglass insulation in my garage attic/roof (expensive?)
    • Replacing the wood entry door with a steel one that has a better seal
    • Getting a heater - any recommendations?
    submitted by /u/StaphylococcusOreos
    [link] [comments]

    Help! I’m stuck at my storage unit after hours because the unit door is stuck and won’t close all the way. Please need some urgent advice on how to close it.

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 07:05 PM PST

    It's roll down door. It gets stuck halfway. It can go up but when put down it gets stuck halfway. No one at the emergency line will answer and I live several hours away so I can't come back to close it and I'll have to stay in my car all night by myself as a woman until the office opens.

    Help! I'm stuck at my storage unit after hours because the unit door is stuck and won't close all the way. Please need some urgent advice on how to close it.

    SOLVED! something was in the tracks. Thanks to suggestions on here, I removed the obstruction. Thanks guys so much for saving me 12 hours stuck in my car at the unit all night until office reopens! I love this subreddit!

    submitted by /u/asifinmiff
    [link] [comments]

    Ideas to improve fugly exterior of friends home!

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 07:00 AM PST

    said fugly exterior

    My friend has asked for help coming up with ideas to improve the look of the exterior of their fugly home (their words not mine). I think it's the brown paint that's the biggest culprit but any other ideas would be welcomed!

    submitted by /u/BCtRVA
    [link] [comments]

    Installing Z-wave Water Shut off Valve... Should I hire a plumber?

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 08:40 AM PST

    So I have been slowly building up my home automations the last year. Last week I grabbed the Dome Z-wave Water Shut Off Valve Controller when it came on sale. The controller will enable me to remotely (or automatically) turn off the water into the house if there's a leak.

    Here is some visual context and my proposal:
    https://imgur.com/a/8k3BGI8

    With my current set up, there is a shut off valve coming out of my wall that goes into a Kenmore water softener, but the valve is too close to the wall for the Dome controller to fit.

    There is a length of PVC coming out of the water softener that I think I can easily remove and add a compression ball valve that I could then install the Dome Controller over.

    My concerns (and questions for the channel):

    1. Messing with the main water line into my house makes me nervous (even though this looks like a simple job). Any tips or best practices I should be aware of?
    2. Are the the PVC materials (linked below) good for this kind of application? Are there special kinds of PVC or cement/adhesive designed for potable water use?
    3. I'm not sure the water pressure going into the house. The lowest rated PSI in my materials below is the PVC adapter which has a max PSI of 270. This seems adequate, but I'm just a cave man.
    4. How is the placement of the valve. Specifically should I have any concerns with the valve coming out of the water softener. I can't think of any off hand, but again... cave man.

    Thanks for your time and collective expertise.

    -------------------------------------

    TL;DR: Should I hire a plumber to install an additional main water shut-off compression ball valve?

    -------------------------------------

    Appendix

    submitted by /u/pieAllTheTime
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for help - enraged husband smashed my bathroom drawer and I don't know how to find a replacement

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 11:22 AM PST

    My house is less than 1.5 years old and per the title, my husband smashed it to pieces. Obviously, the smashing is its own issue but at the moment I'm just so desperate to get the drawer fixed. I called the cabinet makers and they said that a replacement is something that has to be coordinated through my home builders. While I'm able to call the home builders' line and have the receptionist answer, the guy who is supposed to call me back hasn't and I'm not able to get ahold of him. Is it possible to take another (matching) bathroom drawer in to a local carpenter (with the cabinet stain, which I do have extra of) and have them recreate the drawer? It's so small of a project I'm afraid nobody will take it. Is my only option to hope someone gets back to me? My house was so beautiful and I just want to get it back to how it should be.

    submitted by /u/Smooth_Blueberry_375
    [link] [comments]

    How to keep water from freezing outside?

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 04:29 PM PST

    This is not your typical home improvement post, but you all are always the most creative and effective problem solvers!

    For my chickens, I have a gravity watering system. It's essentially a five gallon bucket attached to pvc. In the winter I have a heater in the five gallon bucket, and the pvc has heat trace and insulation. The water stays unfrozen up to the cups it feeds into without any problem. On really cold days though, the water freezes in the cups. I need a way to keep them thawed while I'm at work during the day.

    chicken waterer

    The area has electricity, so that can factor in if necessary!

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/uncertainpeppery
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need to pull permits for a bathroom remodel if it's part of a claim

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 06:58 PM PST

    Hello, I'm wondering if anyone on reddit has had a bathroom remodel done as part of an insurance claim. I haven't confirmed with my contractor if he's going to pull permits or not (he's not officially hired yet).

    Remodel includes replacing a huge jacuzzi tub with a stand up shower and moving the drain and shower head over a few feet and replacing a vanity and toilet. The vanity and toilet are not moving. New tile and drywall, no electrical work will be done.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/HotPlankton8
    [link] [comments]

    Garage door remote stolen - Reset LiftMaster MyQ Security 2.0+ not working

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 09:02 AM PST

    A garage door opener remote was stolen out of my car and I need to reset the codes ASAP. I've read the directions at this link and tried multiple times to hold the LEARN button for 6+ seconds to turn off the LED, but that's not resetting the codes. The other remote I have is still working. Any help on resetting the codes ASAP?

    The help at this link isn't working. https://support.chamberlaingroup.com/s/article/How-do-I-erase-the-remote-control-from-the-garage-door-opener-s-memory-1484145516379#Opener_Learn

    submitted by /u/birdsbikingrunning
    [link] [comments]

    My closet opening is 29.5” and all the bi-fold doors are exactly 29.5”. Can I rip 1/4” from each side on my table saw?

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 07:53 AM PST

    My old bi-folds are 14.5 each and fit exact, practically no gap on the sides. The doors at every store I've gone to are 14.75" each. They're hollow core so I'm not sure how much material is on the edges. Can I rip 1/4" off each one?

    submitted by /u/dansdiy
    [link] [comments]

    Attic air sealing and insulation questions.

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 10:53 AM PST

    Location:

    • Pittsburgh, PA

    Facts:

    • 875 sq feet

    • Built in 1950

    • Single Family home

    • Gable Vents

    • No Soffit vents or eaves

    • No ridge vents

    • No attic fan

    Hello, I currently have removed all of my Attic's insulation (minus a few stragglers that I can't reach and I'm waiting on one of those spring loaded clamps to grab). The inspector told me during the walk through, I had maybe an inch of insulation. I got a couple of quotes and most of them were $4,500+ and well… Covid. I've been tackling DIYs myself to save some money. I used most of the two quotes as notes to work from. The one said they would slash the vapor barrier on the current insulation and lay new insulation over top. I think the current insulation had 2 vapor barriers because it had kraft paper on top and bottom. Throughout inspection, some spots were moist where they overlapped the insulation batts.

    So… Now that I have all of my insulation removed, I'm working on air sealing all of my light fixtures, wires, etc. Upon working up there, I stumbled upon a ton of mice poop, a couple of acorns, and chewed up insulation. I can see a bit of light coming through the lower part of the roof where it meets my exterior wall, nothing huge but enough I'd like to seal it. Since, I don't have any eaves or soffit vents, would it be okay to spray foam insulate these holes until I can get the fascia replaced next spring?

    I want to make sure I'm not creating an environment where mold can grow but I also wouldn't like to spend $1,500 on new R38 batts and create a nice little home for whatever critters I might have in my attic previously.

    Imgur album for pictures and video.

    https://imgur.com/a/o9OtRbs

    submitted by /u/BrisbaneAus
    [link] [comments]

    I can remove this tile safely right?

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 10:12 AM PST

    https://imgur.com/gallery/pfZSBSP

    I am removing a carpet to install a hardwood floor, and lo and behold, beneath the carpet is a "tile" adhesive that sits over a hardwood floor.

    I'll be removing this tile but just want to make sure that it's safe to remove right?

    submitted by /u/jillanco
    [link] [comments]

    I want to build an addition, where do I start?

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 07:16 PM PST

    Not diy but I want to hire a contractor to build a new master bedroom addition. Where do I start? Do I find a contractor first? Do I hire someone like an architect to design it first? I have no idea how to get going and all I have is a rough idea in my head of what I want. It's someone complicated to tie it I to the existing structure so I need someone with creativity and vision, I think.

    submitted by /u/Justanotheru99
    [link] [comments]

    Will it be possible to replace this sliding padio door with frame and casing. Pics provided

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 06:44 PM PST

    Will it be possible to replace the whole door frame jamb and casing with the cabinets in the way.

    Link with pictures. http://imgur.com/a/fHEv9pI

    I can provide more info if needed.

    submitted by /u/XxmagicboyxX
    [link] [comments]

    Chamberlain Garage Door Problem - both clickers stopped working but wall mounted opener works fine

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 08:09 PM PST

    Changed batteries but still not working. The unit is 20 years old. Any help/suggestions appreciated.

    submitted by /u/UncleJunior1
    [link] [comments]

    Rotten Fascia and Soffit at entry corner

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 04:12 PM PST

    A couple of days of nice weather and I finally got it done. After picture is first.

    We noticed we had an issue but didn't realize how bad it was until I pulled the fascia and soffit off. We did get lucky that none of the joists were rotten.

    Rotten fascia and soffit repair

    submitted by /u/bjump85
    [link] [comments]

    What kind of wall material is this and how do I fix it?

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 05:19 AM PST

    Just moved into a 1955 fixer-upper. We have a small half bath that is original to the home, minus the toilet we replaced. We can't afford to redo it right now because we're saving to get an attic door installed so we can insulate the attic. But we had some leftover paint so I figured we could at least peel off the wall paper and paint for a face lift in the mean time. I began peeling off the wall paper and some of the wall behind it crumbled off. Not a lot maybe 1/8 of an inch if that. But this doesn't seem like standard drywall, nor does it look like plaster. It almost looks like it's cinderblock behind it or cement? Not sure how to fix it before painting.

    On the plus side, the weird smell is gone now that I removed the wall paper!

    https://imgur.com/a/a4WvBFu

    submitted by /u/Be_Braver
    [link] [comments]

    Sizing backer rod for use around replacement windows before caulking

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 07:33 PM PST

    I just found out the replacement vinyl windows in my home don't have any insulation/foam around them. I was going to use backer rod and caulk, but the gap is 7/8th. Is 1 inch backer rod ok? Or do I need 1.25 inch? I don't want too much backer rod and not enough room for caulk, but I'm reading that the backer rod needs to be compressed a bit for it be effective, is that true?

    submitted by /u/Cool-Bunch
    [link] [comments]

    How to make these countertops not so awful?

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 12:55 PM PST

    sad countertops

    My countertops are wood boards with 6 or so coats of bath tub glaze. The house came like this lol this was not my idea. They are pretty disgusting. There's so many nooks and crannies that stuff gets trapped in. They are BUMPY.

    I'm planning on renovating the whole kitchen, but earliest I can start is 6 months from now.

    Any suggestions for how I could temporarily make these better? Not looking to spend a lot.

    submitted by /u/sleepinginmycar
    [link] [comments]

    Skim coating area where the paint is chipping.

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 01:26 PM PST

    We are skim coating the walls. But near the trim where we removed some cable, there is peeling paint. Should we peel off the paint, or can we skim coat over it? Eventually, we want to replace the trim, but with time constraints we can't do that right now.

    https://imgur.com/a/jvs763q

    submitted by /u/Adamas_Mustache
    [link] [comments]

    Help! How can I make this pool waterfall feature aesthetically pleasing?

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 10:53 AM PST

    Initial thoughts were to hire an artist to paint it or to add stacked rocks but I have no idea what would look good. Also what color would you paint the pool deck? The house is a very neutral color.

    Pool Waterfall Feature https://imgur.com/gallery/7GOLM32

    submitted by /u/unfazedmama
    [link] [comments]

    How effective is heat shrink film for insulating windows in winter?

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 11:31 AM PST

    Specifically, for newer windows. I have some old single pane ones that I'll definitely use it on, but am not sure if it's worth doing on Harvey windows that are <5 years old.

    submitted by /u/ohhowexciting
    [link] [comments]

    Crack above door is worsening... need help with diagnosis

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 05:24 PM PST

    Hi all! Just bought a house in July. It was built in 1974. We are working on a gut remodel of the living/dining/kitchen section and will begin in the bedroom side of the house next year. The vertical part of this crack (master bathroom entrance) was noted in our inspection, and the inspector assured us that unless it was a diagonal crack it was likely benign/superficial.

    https://imgur.com/a/KvlNGzy - 3 pics in album

    Edit - These cracks exist in other areas of the house, pics here: https://imgur.com/a/7c2Ef9i

    It has worsened over the past few months to have the diagonal fissure out to the left. There is some curving/warping going on in the header area above the door frame. Could this still be a superficial issue or do we need to worry about a more insidious cause somewhere? Our mission is to restore the health and structure of the home where needed.

    Important to mention: The front exterior wall of the house had termites in 2000, it was treated and the infestation was nuked back then. It was followed up on each year. We fixed the termite damage after pulling a wall down and finding it, yay! So, there is a history of termites on the property, however we had 2 termite inspections after moving in and were told by both exterminators they are not on the property any more - just their crunchy mess. We baseboard tested the rest of the house and did not feel any crunchyness other than the front exterior wall.

    Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

    submitted by /u/fouronesevenland
    [link] [comments]

    Picture Hanging Help

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 06:56 PM PST

    Hi - Could someone tell me what I need to do to hang a large picture with this hardware that's on the back? picture

    submitted by /u/loons952
    [link] [comments]

    What kind of trim goes here? (pics inside)

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 08:56 PM PST

    New homeowner here so this might be a silly question. Just had all of the carpet and tile in our house replaced with vinyl plank and now the bottoms of all of our exterior doors look like this...

    https://imgur.com/a/n1SE6qo

    What type of trim (is that even the right word for what I'm searching for?) goes at the bottom of the door? Right now it just looks so rough and unfinished but I'm not sure what to put there.

    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/HouseArthur
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment