• Breaking News

    Monday, November 2, 2020

    Home security: Black Friday sales for Qolsys/alarm.com ?

    Home security: Black Friday sales for Qolsys/alarm.com ?


    Black Friday sales for Qolsys/alarm.com ?

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 06:56 PM PST

    Hello everyone. I'm wondering if any companies have any history of doing BF/cyber Monday sales for security systems/equipment.

    I had ADT and Abode before and am considering going with Qolsys/surety. I wouldn't mind saving some money to be able to buy more sensors.

    I did a search but didn't come up with much. I'm just wondering if I should y now or wait till end of month.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/itsjordan21
    [link] [comments]

    External multi camera system to hard drive

    Posted: 02 Nov 2020 12:05 AM PST

    Hello r/homescurity,

    I was hoping to find some recommendations for an exterior multi camera system. A relative had recently suffered a burglary and my parents are concerned.

    Details
    Detached home, fairly large driveway. wood fencing along the sides and backyard w/ gates on the sides. Ontario Canada (so it needs to withstand cold). Looking for an in-house storage system. No monthly service fees.

    I've been browsing Amazon, but I can't trust any of the reviews or brands.

    This is all so very new to me, so I'm not exactly sure where to start. Search results bombard me more with products than it does with information. Hoping to find some direction. Questions for me would be helpful to think about things I may not have considered before.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Magic13man
    [link] [comments]

    Door lock and deadbolt recommendations...

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 09:33 AM PST

    Might be buying a new house soon and want to change all the locks when I move in and would love to have matching keys for all the locks and I don't mind doing the install myself.

    Here's the problem, I read years ago that buying locks from Home Depot/Lowe's was risky because there's lots of common keyed sets and they pose a security risk.

    I know that no lock is perfect, but I just want to take any steps I can to be a little safer.

    submitted by /u/Billyinlasvegas
    [link] [comments]

    DSC PC1616 and RFK5501 worth investment?

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 07:12 PM PST

    My new construction house came with the follow:

    • DSC PC1616
    • RFK5501
    • 1 IR ZONE
    • 3 DOOR ZONES
    • NO RJ11 CONNECTION

    I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it or even possible to upgrade this system to something more modern?

    I'm wanting to at the very least add:

    • 1 ground floor window
    • 2 shatter detectors

    My wife is also wanting more modern features like remote arming and monitoring.

    I was hoping to hear thoughts on whether this was possible or reasonable.

    I know, at the very least, I'll need to purchase something like this Verizon 4G LTE Adapter to get some sort of monitoring and remote control in place.

    https://www.alarmsystemstore.com/products/adc-sem210-ps-vz-system-enhancement-module-for-dsc-powerseries-verizon

    submitted by /u/PM_ME_LOOSE_LIPS
    [link] [comments]

    New construction

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 06:51 PM PST

    If you were building a new home, what would you have installed / incorporated in your build from a home security perspective?

    submitted by /u/dudelearnmesomething
    [link] [comments]

    Extra weight for a safe

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 05:54 PM PST

    Not sure where else to ask this question

    I'm looking at home safes to store (long)firearms and valuables. I am renting in college so I can not bolt it into the house or cut drywall. I'm looking for heavy weights to place in a closet safe but not getting good results.

    Thought about like 2 80lb dumbbells but those are like $130 a piece. I'm trying to find just a solid, dense piece of metal to add some weight to the safe that's not insanely expensive

    submitted by /u/dimethyltryptamin420
    [link] [comments]

    Professionally Installed Security System without Service

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 05:19 PM PST

    Hi,

    I am new here. So what I am asking might very rudimentary and naïve. Would still appreciate any help.

    We are planning to buy a new townhome, not yet build. There is an option of getting the home security system installed by Guardian. Cost of the equipment's is not that much. But the monthly monitoring costs are quite high. I like the idea that they are going to install the whole thing when it is build.

    My question is, is it possible to get them set things up and then not use their monitoring service. Better still use some other monitoring service who can access this system?

    submitted by /u/aporochito
    [link] [comments]

    Need a new standalone or kerberos.io, outdoor, POE IP camera

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 04:04 PM PST

    will be mounted under the southwest overhang of the roof, may see direct sunlight or rain. Hot climate.

    I need something with a good quality admin panel that allows remote viewing as well as either a good onboard recording and storage/retrieval system, or a standard feed we can manage via a raspberry pi such as with kerberos.io.

    budget is <= ~$200.

    submitted by /u/EvilStig
    [link] [comments]

    I think I found something super awesome, yet super ghetto. A DISCORD SECURITY SYSTEM!

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 11:12 AM PST

    Hi,

    This thought came to me last night while kids were coming to the door for Halloween. I had a friend over, and we wanted to watch movies in the basement, but needed to answer the door for trick or treaters. I came up with a beautiful solution.

    I created a discord account on my second phone, and taped it to the glass of the front door while on a video call with myself. Basically, I turned a phone into a free home security camera that you can get live feed from anywhere, as it is connected to WIFI.

    Does anyone think that this could be deployed as a long-term security solution (Meaning only monitoring audio and video)? I realize that it's not the best due to the amount of phones you would need to have, along with wire runs through walls to charge them, but do you think I could get this to work full time?

    My thoughts are that you could get some cheaper phones like the Galaxy S2 in bulk, and have them mounted in a small box with hole cutouts around the house. They would all have different discord accounts linked to them, and they would all be in a server, so I could take a peek at everything through the Discord server. I'm assuming they have some way of telling that there's nobody behind the phone that's streaming, so for that maybe there's a macro I could program that would allow the phones auto disconnect and reconnect to the server, preventing AFK disconnects.

    Like I said, it's just a thought. I'm interested to hear what people think of this. Please let me know!

    Thanks all!

    TLDR; Discord Server Home Security System

    submitted by /u/Momzzz1234
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor Camera for rural property

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 03:43 AM PST

    Looking for suggestions on an outdoor camera on rural property for the parents. We are looking for it primarily to record action and send notification, when someone comes in the driveway.Doesn't have to continuously record if it's dependable picking up action, but might be nice to store some locally (wouldn't want to continuous load to cloud since the internet isn't fast).Good, long-range nightvision is fairly important if possible (20-30m).

    They do have a fire cube and android tablet, if that makes a difference. There is the Blink Outdoor, but Im unclear how that works for recording. It sounds like you need to buy a subscription to save clips to view remotely, and just view live without a subscription?

    Edit: Im also in Canada if it makes a difference

    submitted by /u/mrsprdave
    [link] [comments]

    How to deal with vandals

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 08:35 AM PST

    This question is not for home, but for a small business, I hope that's okay. We have an outdoor area at our business and it has been the target of minor (but annoying) vandalism. We're not sure how best to solve the problem. This is a small (1 employee) business that doesn't bring in big bucks or anything, so it's not like we have a huge budget to dedicate. The vandalism happens at night when we are far away. Complicating matters is the fact that we don't have wifi or land line at the business. Either of this could be obtained, but would be new cost and only needed for security.

    What options would you folks suggest? At the front of our mind is that fact that it really doesn't help us much to simply get footage of teenagers doing their work, we need something that would actually cause them to stop.

    submitted by /u/Mastiff37
    [link] [comments]

    Camera recommendation for corridor

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 08:06 AM PST

    I'm looking for a good outdoor camera recommendation for covering our exterior entryway corridor. Ring, Nest, Blink, really all the popular brands have super wide-angle views that I'd love to mount rotated 90 degrees to use all that wide-angle goodness vertically, since mounted upright would show us a lot of walls and not cover the entire walkway.

    If I mount one of these cameras at 90 degrees, the video will be sideways when viewing in the app. A bunch of these cameras have options for flipping the video 180 degrees, but none 90 degrees. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/natedav11
    [link] [comments]

    Need security solution

    Posted: 01 Nov 2020 07:04 AM PST

    Hey there, new to this subreddit, I have quite a bit of experience installing wired cameras, and find customers usually prefer this method, however I have a rural customer I'm trying to help, she wants a system to watch over some puppers in her kennels but her wifi in home is Hughes net and the modem won't make the distance for wifi based cameras, I was trying to find a solution to install wireless to dvr cameras but can't find any that will make the shot, it's about 500 feet to the house and customer would prefer to run no wires across. There is power inside the building but it's mostly getting a system that will send video. No cell service in area either to do a hotspot or something like that. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/pathwalker1991
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment