• Breaking News

    Monday, October 5, 2020

    Home security: UK alarm System

    Home security: UK alarm System


    UK alarm System

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 02:16 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I want to find out which wireless security systems are best. The ones I've looked at are Ring, Simplisafe and Yale so far.

    I know Simplisafe can be bypassed with a £2 system which isn't great but not sure if you can do the same with the others?

    Any recommendations on the ultimate home alarm system?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Cabyo4
    [link] [comments]

    Reolink NVR questions.

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 09:06 AM PDT

    Hello, I am considering the RLN8-410 NVR, which can support up to eight cameras. I intend to get RLC-410 cameras because I want to be able to cover as much area around my house as possible, but on a budget. At least six of the eight cameras would be mounted outside, and every camera connected with cat6 cables.

    My main question is, how long does it take to fill the hardrive of 2TB that is included in the NVR with eight cameras running on motion detecting. I realize the cameras film the whole time, but only save the film where motion was detected.

    How much power does the NVR and cameras consume?

    Does the NVR run hot, or can I stash it someplace not very easily spotted, like in a cranny behind a painting? Would vents suffice to keep it from frying?

    Is there anything I should be aware of with this system, or this particular setup?

    submitted by /u/Bombuss
    [link] [comments]

    HiLook IPC-T280H

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 03:10 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I'm looking at camera options and have come across a reasonably priced HiLook T280H. The only thing is, I can't actually find it on Hikvision's website.

    Is DS-2CD2385FWD-I actually the same as IPC-T280H? This is what a reverse image search suggests, but I can't find anything official.

    Thanks for any input.

    submitted by /u/warnox
    [link] [comments]

    [Academic] Paid research study about cameras in the home (US 18+, English-speaking, Living Alone)

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 07:56 PM PDT

    Hi! I'm a student from the University of Washington assisting on conducting a study on peoples' perceptions of recording in the home through a series of six weekly activities with cameras.

    These activities are meant to be thought-provoking and playful. All can be done with just your phone camera, no special equipment is required. Participation in this study involves (1) completing 20-30 minute activities with cameras each week for six weeks and (2) enrolling in a private online group and sharing your weekly activities with researchers and other participants in the study.

    To be eligible, you must speak English, be living alone in the US, and be over the age of 18. For your participation in this study, we will give you $20 per completion of each weekly activity, and you will also be compensated $20 at the end of the exit interview.

    If this is something that you'd be interested in, please fill out the attached survey.

    submitted by /u/UXscoops
    [link] [comments]

    Ring’s New Drone Security Camera

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 05:18 AM PDT

    I just realized why they did double cylinders!

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 08:13 PM PDT

    I just moved into a house yesterday and I am getting so annoyed with these doors that all need to be keyed to use. I have been using August locks at my last place. I had planned to replace them with Mul-t Cronus locks, even have a lock smith ready to come out.. but.. hmm... all my freaking doors have decorative glass.. The pretty back patio doors, glass. Front door, half glass.

    The front door I plan to replace with a big solid wood door with no glass near the handles.. Actually I will be replacing all the doors with wood. However, the back doors... all 4 of them.. will suffer this current design flaw. As I paid a lot of money for a nice back yard, dangit! Am I doomed to risk dying in a fire, and not being able to use my august locks... or is there something I haven't thought of?

    submitted by /u/Starwind0
    [link] [comments]

    recently moved into a house with an existing security system- boobie trapped plug?

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 06:56 PM PDT

    We scrapped the old system for a new one that TELUS offers, but I was snooping around the utility room and came across an old "First Alert" security box that I opened. After I opened and shut it the outlet that was running it started to have a subtle beep?? So I unplugged the box and it sparked and blew the entire outlet. What was going on here? Should I get an electrician in to take a look at the rest of the wiring around this? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Fit_Inside1953
    [link] [comments]

    Tomorrow is the last day we can return Simplisafe security system for full refund, need to decide quickly

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 05:49 PM PDT

    Greetings. So a big part of the reason that I ordered Simplisafe is because they allow a full refund for 60 days if you order from their website, and I just wanted to get something as quickly as possible and then do more research later. Well the whole thing has been sitting in its box, we haven't used it or set up any of the alarms and tomorrow is the deadline for returning it. No research, either.

    The thing is that after it arrived I discovered the laws in our city stipulate that the police either will not respond to home alarm systems going off, or if they do and it's a mistake it's a fine of hundreds of dollars the first time and even more than that the second time. And since this is a place with many windows, etc. almost anything could accidentally set off one of the alarms. The wind blowing, some dish crashing, whatever.

    So really, no security system is going to work other than if we just want it to notify us on our phones and call the police ourselves if necessary...or if we want to be able to use the panic buttons as an option (this is something I would like to have inside of the house, while we're home). So I guess maybe Simplisafe, now that it's already here, might be good enough for this purpose? It would be easiest just to keep it. We have come to the conclusion that to really be secure, we need to actually put bars on vulnerable windows, and do other physical things like lighting, etc. etc. which we've been working on.

    As far as an alarm system goes, at least we did not get ourselves locked into any kind of contract, and with the laws being what they are...does this seem good enough? For the front door I think we'll get a ring doorbell, and then some cameras outside... or is there some kind of urgent reason to return Simplisafe and go through all the hassle to find some other system instead? Btw we really need something that is user-friendly. Thanks for any insights.

    submitted by /u/nutmegboots
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment