• Breaking News

    Monday, October 5, 2020

    Home security: Moved into a house, the old security system may be boobie trapped?

    Home security: Moved into a house, the old security system may be boobie trapped?


    Moved into a house, the old security system may be boobie trapped?

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 07:04 PM PDT

    We scrapped the old system for a new one that TELUS offers, but I was snooping around the utility room and came across an old "First Alert" security box that I opened. After I opened and shut it the outlet that was running it started to have a subtle beep?? So I unplugged the box and it sparked and blew the entire outlet. What was going on here? Should I get an electrician in to take a look at the rest of the wiring around this? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Fit_Inside1953
    [link] [comments]

    Factory reset ADT touchpad?

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 11:10 PM PDT

    House I moved into had an ADT system with a touchscreen panel mounted by one of the doors. Is there any way to factory reset so I can set my own code, set up with my Alexa, etc.? I want to self monitor, no need for ADT or another monitoring service, just to have the alarm go off if a door is opened at night.

    submitted by /u/Taxed_Enough_Already
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone have tips on dealing with spiders

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 07:10 AM PDT

    I knew but didn't realize how bad the issue of spiders and IR lighting was until I set up my cameras.

    Normally I am all for spiders, no problem there but they do cover up a camera lens pretty fast, maybe not cover it but enough that silk strands light up more than what you want it to. Sometimes setting off motion detection.

    So just shy of wrapping lemon peels around camera body, anyone have ideas to keep the spiders off lenses?

    I was thinking maybe wiping some lemon juice around body of camera so they won't cross it to get to front end of camera but stay back where there is heat still to attract the flying lunches the spiders are actually after.(May work until colder temps arrive and no more flying buffet) But not sure it won't just dry up and be useless in a couple days. Maybe Peppermint oil hmm.

    submitted by /u/Crankshaft67
    [link] [comments]

    DVR suggestion

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 10:11 PM PDT

    Hello let me preference this with the fact that I don't know much. When we bought our house the previous owner had a camera system installed. Idk what all he took with him but the cameras, wires, power box are still there. It's a 4 camera system and I'd just like to be able to check in on it while I'm out and play back if I needed to. Thanks! And sorry again for lack of info.

    submitted by /u/17laxboi
    [link] [comments]

    Eufy vs Arlo

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 12:33 PM PDT

    Considering getting a wireless battery powered system for my house. I have been comparing Arlo 3 and eufy so far. Didn't know if any one has experience with either or of there is another brand out there that I am missing that is similar. Biggest thing for me is that for the video monitoring I don't have to pay and I can see it on my phone. I'd need 3 outdoor cameras plus a doorbell and would prefer a floodlight as well. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Also I have considered PoE cameras but I'm not very tech savvy and not sure what I would mess up trying to run ethernet cables throughout my house. Thank you for you help.

    submitted by /u/huntfisheat90
    [link] [comments]

    DSC PC1555RKZ - Cannot dis-arm

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 07:30 PM PDT

    My issue is pretty straightforward— I set my alarm to arm earlier today and now am unable to dis-arm. I did nothing different than usual and cannot figure out why I cannot dis-arm. I have to wait until tomorrow morning to contact DSC as I cannot find a 24 hour # for them. Any suggestions?

    Make: DSC Model: PC1555RKZ

    Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/NotoriousDMG
    [link] [comments]

    Vista 20P Keyswitch Options

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 07:11 PM PDT

    Hey there. I have a Honeywell/Ademco Vista 20P, and I'm using a keyswitch via relay. I know that if I keep the switch closed for 1 second, it will arm away or disarm, and that if I keep the switch closed for 10 seconds, it will arm stay or disarm. I couldn't even find the 10 seconds for arm stay in the manual, so I'm wondering if there is a way to arm instant via the keyswitch that isn't documented, at least in the manual I have. Does anyone know if that is a possibility?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/startikgenie
    [link] [comments]

    Help with recommendations for DVR system

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 02:23 PM PDT

    Looking for recommendations for a 8 channel DVR system with decent image quality

    - outdoor use so weatherproof.

    - Motion Detection

    - In-fared for night time

    - wired, no wireless because its a big home and prefer reliability of wired

    - possible heat detection

    - Big HDD although i can upgrade one myself if needed.

    - comes with a phone app.(I have tried to set up one before without a dedicated one and it was hell. would not work)

    I was looking at This swann system. I like the features of it but reviews made me second guess that decision.

    submitted by /u/lotmnt
    [link] [comments]

    Need wireless cellular battery powered motion-activated cameras to catch trespasser

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 04:15 PM PDT

    Long story short, last year I had a deer hunter trespassing on my land so I called a game warden out here who had him remove his stuff. Turns out, he's back again this year and has stolen various items out of the woods that belonged to me, including a few of my cameras.

    I need some replacement cameras to catch him coming back so I can press criminal charges against him. These need to be battery powered and have cellular connectivity as they'll be pretty deep in the woods. It would be great if they have some sort of locking capability or attachment so I can secure them high onto a tree and he could not reasonably take them down very quickly.

    Any recommendations for something that fits this description? I would need about 10 of them so I'm looking for more affordable options if possible.

    submitted by /u/FullSlack
    [link] [comments]

    Interference between IR camera and PIR sensor?

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 04:15 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I'm planning the installation of some IP cameras (probably UniFi G4 bullet) and floodlights (probably Ring Floodlight) around a new home. I was reading through Reddit posts and found someone expressing concerns about the IR LEDs of the camera interfering with the PIR sensor of the floodlights. Thinking about it, that would make sense: is it possible that the IR LEDs trigger the sensor, and so basically the floodlights would turn on as soon and as long as the camera is in night mode?

    Thanks in advance for your help!

    submitted by /u/jdhxja8365hsk
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a house and this camera is wired to this little box. What is it and how do I use it?

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 03:33 PM PDT

    Sorry for the blurry 3rd pic.

    Any help would be appreciated! Thank you

    https://imgur.com/a/lvaxKAk

    submitted by /u/moosenoz
    [link] [comments]

    Mixed security solutions with professional monitoring options

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 03:07 PM PDT

    I'm looking to add security and monitoring to my new home. I have seen the many systems (Arlo, Ring, Simplisafe, Blink, ADT, Alarm.com, Nest, and many that I don't recall at this moment), but I have not seen anyone explicitly mentioning mixed solutions. For example: use ADT for break-in professional monitoring and Ring for outdoor video surveillance with no professional monitoring.

    Based on the above, what mixed solutions have you implemented and why?

    What would you recommend for the following requirements: 1. Professional monitoring for break-ins. 2. Smartphone/tablets/indoor panels integration for remote control of entry doors and system status. 3. Outdoor surveillance cameras (not necessarilly professionally monitored, but would consider it). 4. Integration between solutions would be ideal, although not required.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/FactsDigger
    [link] [comments]

    Use 3rd party cams on Reolink RLN8-410

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 01:39 PM PDT

    Hi. My current Microview NVR08 died... so just looking for a replacement NVR for the Microview cameras i already have installed. The cams support ONVIF. Can i add them in the Reolink RLN8-410 NVR?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/kmdthy
    [link] [comments]

    NVR recommendations

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 05:12 AM PDT

    I`m looking for a new camera system to replace the old cams.

    I have the following ip cams on my list to use:
    they are all hikvision cams.
    ds-2ce2183G0-i x2
    ds-2cd2183g0-I x5

    those cams are all 8mp streams and i want to record them for atleast 7 days in full resolution.
    Now am i looking for a NVR that is cappable for recording 7 cams at 8mp. And if i look on the site from hikvision i can only find an nvr with is cappable of recorden 4x 8mp and 8x 4mp streams and not 8 x 8mp

    So my question is. is there an nvr with support 8 x 8mp recordings. Or is a blueiris server a cheaper sollution?

    disclaimer: English is not my main language and this is my first post so if i missed something please let me know so i can fix it! :)

    thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Wenest
    [link] [comments]

    Lightweight camera software recommendations

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 10:20 AM PDT

    I thought Conta Cam would be a good app. I've heard it needs 1.5 cores and 2GB RAM per camera. Is this if you're converting the video format?

    I just plan to pass 3-4 camera feeds straight to disk and 1 that might send motion alerts, or at least a daily screenshot to make sure it is working.

    Is Conta Cam the best for this, or something else (Windows based).

    submitted by /u/giant_g2
    [link] [comments]

    IP camera question...

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 08:28 AM PDT

    Hi, I stumbled on to this sub and not sure where else to ask, sorry if this post is against rules or anything.

    I was wondering if anyone knows a cheap ip cam(indoor) that doesn't require their app to use? I have a wyze cam that works great, but I'm tied to using their application.

    Long before these "pet/nanny" cams got popular you could find a good true IP camera with no problem, now I'm struggling with it with all the products available.

    Thank you for Any information.

    submitted by /u/Kilhd
    [link] [comments]

    Help please! Buying a property with front garden only - security concerns

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 08:23 AM PDT

    My partner and I have put an offer on a house which only has a front garden. The garden has brick wall around it (around 6 feet), and a gate which backs onto the road. I'm slightly concerned with home security at the house and looking for advice - we could obviously padlock the gate but what about when we have people round or a delivery? could we put a doorbell on the gate too? The gate is essentially becoming our front door - does this seem a little unsafe? we live in south east london.

    submitted by /u/bonnana
    [link] [comments]

    Recessed contact sensor suggestions

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 07:12 AM PDT

    Any suggestions for placement and style of contact sensor for double door with transom? As I can't use the jamb above or in the latch side, I am assuming a ball plunger style is best on the hinge side of the main door?

    Also, any brands recommended?

    Thanks for suggestions

    submitted by /u/ChromeDome00
    [link] [comments]

    PoE Outdoor Camera IP Ratings

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 05:45 AM PDT

    Looking to install outdoor PoE security cameras on my home, and wondering if anyone has ever run into issues in a cold climate, with cameras only rated for say -5 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit, or -20 to 48.5 degrees Celsius? I realize that some offerings carry an IP67 rating, and are rated for temperature ranges greater than what I listed above, however want to know if the particular model I'm interested in will still perform well in cold weather. The winters where I live routinely reach sustained temperates below -5 degrees F.

    submitted by /u/ANiRG
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment