• Breaking News

    Thursday, October 22, 2020

    Home security: low maintenance home security camera?

    Home security: low maintenance home security camera?


    low maintenance home security camera?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 06:13 PM PDT

    I wonder if there are cameras that you can just plug in and it'll record in loops and you can just forget about it. I want to get such a camera and place it near a window to capture the outside. The chance that I'll ever need to review the footage is pretty low so I don't want to deal with batteries or other high maintenance task. I just want something just in case I need to review the footage.

    thanks

    submitted by /u/engineheat
    [link] [comments]

    Help! Rate my future camera setup - any thoughts or ideas for improvement?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 11:59 AM PDT

    Here's my shoddy Paint rendition of what I want to do.

    The blue dots are where I'm planning on placing cameras, the blue lines are just to signify where they'll be pointing. I plan on getting a package with (8) 4k wired security cameras, this only illustrates where I plan on putting 7 of them. The house is under 1000 sq ft and not really a bad neighborhood but, rather be safe than sorry and I like the idea and feeling of having everything covered.

    I forgot to include it in the ~drawing~ but between my backyard and the neighbor's backyard there's a line of trees so I'm not worried about accidentally sneakily recording their yard. My backyard butts up to an alley and I don't have a fence currently but I'll have one next spring. Also, the "covered patio" is my carport and it has lattice surrounding it so a camera monitoring the carport won't get any view of the backyard.

    Would you do anything different? Where would you put an 8th camera (granted I guess I don't HAVE to use the 8th). I'm debating on whether or not to switch the two cameras I have at either side of the enclosed porch to the back, to get more coverage on the front yard while still seeing the sides of the house. Maybe put the 8th camera on the far side of the carport so I can actually get a better view of the whole backyard?

    Doorbell cameras aren't an option since I don't have the wiring and that isn't on the list of things I want to do soon but I've heard you can plug them in to a regular electrical outlet using an adapter...something I'd maybe want to do in the future.

    submitted by /u/amanthasann
    [link] [comments]

    Uniview Tech (not UNV) recommended by Installer? Is it good? Other recs?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 11:00 PM PDT

    Moving into a new home and taking the step up to an NVR system over the old Arlo Pro's I had. I found a local security installer who highly recommends https://www.univiewtechnology.com/ (not to be confused with uniview.com, and is apparently a U.S. based spiniff of Uniview?). I was originally going into things thinking about the Unifi Protect system, but he and another installer recommended against it, saying a lot of their larger clients removed them shortly after install for other systems. Got quoted about $1,000 for install of 8 cameras, wiring, programming, the works, and it's about $1,800-2,500 depending on whether we do 7 cameras, some upgraded cameras for motion detection, and which NVR we go with (disk size and channels).

    I'm really curious to hear if anyone has experience with this system and how they like it. I can find very little info on Uniview Tech via Google, YouTube, etc (it's all on the Chinese company instead). He also said it would utilize the Guardian Viewer app, which didn't have stellar reviews and was a little concerning. Wondering if we can just utilize a different/better third party mobile app to connect to the cameras and get alerts, etc.

    Is there another system we should be looking at and ask him to install or find another installer that specializes in another system? He said this is the only one he specializes in due to abilities to offer remote support with this system and better ongoing support with adding/upgrading/replacing cameras compared to systems like Hikvision, etc. My search before talking to anyone was around Unifi Protect, then a little into Synology Surveillance Systems, but I've not found anyone who installed these and liked them locally.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Voxtrot87
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for information about Security vernacular and terms.

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 12:56 PM PDT

    Hello, I'm sorry if this is a little off topic but I'm not sure where to ask. I work as an ESL teacher and am currently teaching a student who works in electronic security and instillation.

    I would like to tailor my lessons to use more English terms and vernacular used in his job but I have a pretty shallow understanding of the topic. Can anyone recommend a starting point to pick up more Security Vocabulary for them or maybe some useful expressions or terms that he would need to know if working with other English speaking security experts?

    Thank you for your help!

    submitted by /u/MeLockAhYouHeDa
    [link] [comments]

    Need a "dumb" WiFi camera WITH NO MICROPHONE

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 11:58 AM PDT

    I would like to be a WiFi camera that has no microphone. It is not acceptable to me to buy a camera with a microphone and just not use the audio feature; I need a camera with literally no microphone.

    Even the cheapest WiFi cameras I can find have audio. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/danhash
    [link] [comments]

    Hikvision DS-HD1 doorbell. Yea or Nay?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 11:27 AM PDT

    Installed an Amcrest AD110 but the more I think about it, the more I dislike it. No human recognition so false motion detection triggers left and right, the field of vision is very small, the 1080P quality is meh at best.

    The WPA secret is limited to 32 characters even when the standard key length is up to 63. Opened a support case and I'm still waiting, but I kinda know the answer because I found a forum post with the same issue and they asked the customer to shorten the WPA key to 32 characters; I'm not planning to change every single wireless device we have at home to accommodate an arbitrary Amcrest requirement, quite honestly, so off it goes.

    Before pissing Amazon off and returning 2 doorbells instead of one, does anybody have experience with this doorbell? it seems to be the same as the Ezviz DB1 3MP and the Nelly NSC-DB2.

    submitted by /u/not-covfefe
    [link] [comments]

    Cheapest Honeywell Total Connect Monitoring?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 10:16 AM PDT

    I currently have a Vista 20p that I am in the stages of expanding and planning.

    I have reached out to local companies, but I also want to know if you guys have had any experience with online alarm dealers. Alarmgrid seems to have the most support, but their monitoring is overpriced compared to GeoArm/Alarmclub.

    submitted by /u/Westleydchen
    [link] [comments]

    Smoke Alarm integration with Honeywell Vista 21ip

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 06:23 AM PDT

    I have a network of hardwired Kiddie smoke/CO detectors in the house which are independent from my new Vista 21IP panel. Is there a way to get those connected? I know Ring has a listener but haven't seen that for Honeywell. What have others done with existing smoke/CO detectors?

    submitted by /u/jay_sugman
    [link] [comments]

    Reliable Motion Detection CCTV

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 07:22 AM PDT

    I've been researching for a while about installing some outdoor CCTV following an attempted break in. One of the things I'm really interested in is CCTV cameras with reliable motion detection, such as the 'humanoid' ones that can distinguish humans as opposed to just being triggered by any movement.

    I previously bought an IMOU Camera which I couldn't get to connect to my WiFi, and an Anraan bullet camera which I'm returning as it doesn't swivel/adjust beyond going up or down.

    A lot of the motion sensor cameras I've seen don't seem to have accurate motion detection according to the reviews.

    Does anyone have any recommendations for a good system? I don't want to spend loads of money on it as my budget is somewhat tight and I need only two cameras (one for the front, one for the back).

    A camera system that has a two way mic or siren would be a bonus.

    submitted by /u/georgehars
    [link] [comments]

    Simple home security cameras wanted

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 08:08 AM PDT

    Hi all, I'm unsure if this is the correct sub but I'm looking in to fitting some very simple cameras, 2-3 ideally. Can anyone give me some ideas?

    2 in the downstairs living rooms and the possible 3rd outdoors overlooking the drive.

    I don't want an expensive system, around £100 for all 3 cameras ideally. An app based system would be ideal, with night vision and also the ability to pan the cameras.

    I've looked at the Blink cameras by Amazon, and Yi cameras also. I do have Amazon Echo and Google Nest so having them integrated would be a bonus.

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/originalwoodster
    [link] [comments]

    ADT strange phone call

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 07:59 AM PDT

    ETA: called ADT back and they didn't call according to them. It is a new type of scam call where once you make the appointment they ask for passcode or something to do something else (I am personally not sure). ADT said they would send a letter if they needed to upgrade something.

    Original: I have a DSC Impassa scw9057g-433 alarm installed 3 years ago. Contract expires on the 30th of October. After a year, there was an error message about communication and I called them but they wanted to send a tech and charge, but I got pissy about the crappy quality and their tactics that I told them no since the monitoring still works.

    Fast forward to today and get a call out of the blue about them needing to send a technician out to upgrade my panel to maintain communication. My scammy sense turned on and I asked straight up if this "upgrade" would extend my 3 year contract that ends next week. The caller paused for an extended period only to answer a plain and dry "no". I told them I would call back.

    Had anyone have ADT trying to upgrade something and then extend the 3 year contract? I have been reading this sub the last 3 months to get away from ADT and don't want to fall into any trap. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/JugglingJabroni
    [link] [comments]

    NX-148E or ATP-1000 keypad

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 07:10 AM PDT

    I need to add a second keypad to my old GE Concord 4 (now Interlogix) security system. The keypad I have looks like an NX-148E, but I see that the ATP-1000 looks exactly the same and is the current one mentioned at the Interlogix site. But the ATP-1000 only costs one quarter of the older NX at Amazon. Are they the same? I see no visible model numbers on the keypad.

    submitted by /u/greenbluewhite
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment