• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 21, 2020

    Home Improvement: HELP

    Home Improvement: HELP


    HELP

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 06:15 PM PDT

    Alright, I'm a teenager with a step dad who's pretty strict on walls, I just fucked ripping off a layer of the wall. Please help, I can drive, what do I need to buy? Is this a cheap fix??

    submitted by /u/AlexanderMZ
    [link] [comments]

    A single brick has come completely loose on the outside of my home. How difficult is it to fix with minimal handy man skills?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 08:57 AM PDT

    Its the outside of our fireplace/chimney. Is there a simple way of fixing this without spending a fortune on tools / supplies?

    I've watched a few videos and the idea of buying spades for a single brick is off putting.

    submitted by /u/GeneralGrayvus
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the best way to hide this pipe that’s too fat for the wall?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 05:05 PM PDT

    Pipe needed to be upsized to 4" and contractor failed to notice or failed to mention to me that we'd have a pipe sticking out of the wall like this. There is foundation wall on the other side, so that pipe can't move into the wall anymore. The wall was an existing wall.

    https://i.imgur.com/WEpPTKN.jpg

    Wider shot showing where the vanity will go https://i.imgur.com/nkW0Irh.jpg

    Here's what it looked like when they were working on it: https://i.imgur.com/z9SpxUg.jpg

    GC said it'll take $1,000 - $1,500 to fix by reframing the wall to give the pipe more space as numerous trades would have to make special trips and would charge accordingly. This is the very end of a whole-house renovation and addition project that has been going on since June, so this could have been addressed earlier but was not.

    About half of the exposed pipe will be covered by the vanity cabinet that is in that bathroom. What are some ways we could somewhat hide it beside framing out the entire wall? A bunch of mud and try to make it a smooth bump? Somehow build a little drywall box?

    submitted by /u/UngluedChalice
    [link] [comments]

    Damaged Sewer Drain

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 06:05 AM PDT

    Need some advice!!

    Living in a duplex we bought earlier this summer. After a fairly standard rain, had the floor drains in the basement backing up with water and a bit of sewage. Fortunately I caught it quick and had a local plumbing company come clear out the blockage and scope the main sewer line that runs through the backyard to try and find the source of the problem. (Edit: before scoping and obtaining video of the pipe, the plumber told me that the blockage was likely due to a city sewer issue in his opinion)

    Well, they found cracks and fractures in 2 sections of the line, 1 is under the concrete parking pad in the back and the other is just before the tie in to the city main. It's ceramic clay pipe if you can't tell in the photos. The plumbing company provided 4 different options for repair ranging from 12k-15k. Submitted a claim to insurance but I would be surprised if the covered it, after reading a bit it sounds like they may cover the excavation costs to tear up the land / driveway but not the actual pipe repair. Photos of the land and broke pipe sections

    Is DYI on the table here? What can / should I do?

    *******Edit: My main concern is the urgency of the job - the plumber who scoped the line made the point that if the cracks in the pipe end up collapsing then the repair becomes much more extensive and costly, so I should fix ASAP (obviously trying to sell me on buying their recommendations).

    A couple people have commented the fractures don't look too bad at all. Should I just save $$$ for a while and bolster the line in a couple years? Or should I knock this out now before it gets worse / more expensive?

    submitted by /u/_the12th
    [link] [comments]

    Took a chunk out of my archway. Need help fixing it.

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 06:42 AM PDT

    So Im a first time homeowner, and this morning I was in a rush to finish my workout. So as I was walking back to another room lifting my weights, I clipped our archway and did this Archway Crack https://imgur.com/gallery/mkW5OPp

    My walls are plaster and recently my wife and I patched another hole just with some spackle. I wasn't sure if this was too deep of a hole to use that on or if the archway would cause a difference? Any advice is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Sadman_OW
    [link] [comments]

    Electric water heater to gas.

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 06:59 AM PDT

    Just wondering how much of an undertaking it would be to move from an electric water heater to a gas one. I already have gas for my kitchen range, so I assume that means I would just need someone to put in some piping to go from my kitchen to my utilities closet (probably less than 30ft).

    Where I am, gas is much cheaper than electric and would save me a ton during the winter (I have a locked in rate for my gas).

    submitted by /u/peva3
    [link] [comments]

    New AC now Constantly Clogs?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 07:16 AM PDT

    Heyo! So about a year and a half ago I replaced my wonderful, silent, great AC to a new one that's been nothing but problems. It's loud, somehow doesnt fit in my HVAC closet even though it's smaller than the old unit and the biggest irritation, seems to clogs/overflow with water every two months. I had an overflow maybe ONCE with the old unit in 10 years and to go from that to having to bring out the hose every two months to pump out mold and clogs is baffling to me. Was the unit installed wrong? Is one of the units (the outdoor or indoor) too strong for the other so they create more moisture? I'm so baffled as to what is happening and my AC guy hasn't been the best (he basically just lectures me that I need to pour bleach in which I do but it still clogs, plus he refuses to admit that the startup sound is exaggeratedly loud in my home)

    submitted by /u/marpley
    [link] [comments]

    Do you have light oak trim? How did you paint the walls?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 08:50 PM PDT

    Moving into our first town home. The walls are a pink that I just don't agree with.

    If you have light oak trim and would care to share what color you painted the walls, I would love to see pictures of the walls including a shot of the trim so I can see how they compare. Much appreciate the help.

    submitted by /u/LinkWulluf
    [link] [comments]

    Subpanel in a walk-in closet

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 04:13 PM PDT

    I know you're not supposed to have your electrical panel in a closet. But can you have a subpanel in a walk-in closet? If not, what is the definition of a walk-in closet, so that perhaps I can work around it by changing my setup around.

    submitted by /u/deadseasquirrels
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone identify this lightbulb, please???? I don't want to pee in the dark anymore

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 07:14 PM PDT

    edit: it looks like a candelabra bulb is actually a thing so I'm going to see if it comes in a miniature size (and here I was with a ruler); I can't get sites to load on my phone so willl look tomorrow. If candelabra bulbs are miniature, and not regular size, then y'all are great and mystery solved!!

    Hello! I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what lightbulbs to buy.

    Our last bathroom light died a few days ago. My dog sleeps in the bathroom doorway at night because she's weird, and I keep almost dying when I pee in the middle of the night. Please help me!

    The existing lightbulbs say, "GEJ 25W 120V China 98". I can't figure out if this is a G12 or a G14. I keep measuring it to 13 and I'm going insane.

    Here is a picture taken off Google of what the bathroom light fixture looks like (dark in my bathroom, can't take a picture of mine)

    This imgur link has a picture of my lightbulb contrasted to a regular one, and a picture of the lightbulb against a ruler.... at 13mm but they only come in 12 and 14 ahhhhhh.

    submitted by /u/FallsDownMountains
    [link] [comments]

    Why is there grout where my bathtub meets tile?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 06:34 PM PDT

    I recently purchased my first home which was renovated a few years ago and have been showering in my basement tub/shower during the summer because my master shower needs a replacement valve to get truly cold water, but that's another issue.

    I noticed today that when I got out of the shower, there was what appeared to be grout crumbling from where the tub meets the tile on the wall. This is something I never really noticed. I went upstairs to the secondary tub that I never use and noticed the same thing, except it looks like most of the grout is gone. I grew up watching my dad apply caulk in that area, why would someone use grout instead of caulk? I'm assuming it's best if I removed this grout and applied silicone caulk?

    Should I also remove the grout on the vertical corner or can that stay? I've got what looks like a half piece of tile that they grouted halfway up the corner for a place to keep your bottles/soap if that matters.

    Feeling a little out of my wheelhouse here, so any insight would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/justinbreaux
    [link] [comments]

    Removing paint from stone?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 07:44 PM PDT

    The past owners painted over this stone wall and I'd really love to remove it. Any ideas? My first thought was pressure washing. Will that do that trick? Can it potentially cause damage?

    submitted by /u/HeyGarden
    [link] [comments]

    What is in an ideal toolbox?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 07:58 AM PDT

    Redditors! Please help me fill a toolbox for my husband.

    I'm getting hubby a toolbox for Christmas. I've settled on a taller rolling model, as well as maybe a smaller one with a counter type top on it?

    We've been married for 2 years and have been using a janky dresser to store tools. The drawer fronts are falling off, it's a disaster, and not practical at all. It never was, but it was free and somewhat worked.

    That being said- do you think a harbor freight chest would hold up? He doesn't do a whole lot of working on anything, but has recently taken a liking to woodworking and just general building.

    What kind of tools would you put inside? Anything special?

    I'm also going to get him a heater for the garage. I remember growing up my dad always had a kerosene heater in the garage, and the smell reminds me of building with him.

    Please be somewhat budget friendly too! I am currently on unpaid leave with our new baby, and hours were cut before with the C19 mess. So I'll have some to spend, but not thousands!

    submitted by /u/Kahluacupcake
    [link] [comments]

    Repairing spalled concrete with a patch product?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 10:16 AM PDT

    I'm looking to repair this garage floor that has spalled pretty badly. I've seen a handful of products that say they can do exactly that, but I'd love to know if anybody has a particular product they would recommend.

    submitted by /u/TheJizzle
    [link] [comments]

    Lennox Repair Help!

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 03:14 PM PDT

    The best thing about living in Minnesota is that it gets to be 30 degrees in October yay! Especially when your furnace decides to quit in the middle of the night! Great times, love this state. I had it set to 68 and I woke up freezing, checked the thermostat and it was 55 degrees. I only had a little bit of time before I had to leave for work so I could t really take a look. When I had time I tried all the tricks (I thought); I changed the batteries in the thermostat, removed the air filter, turned the switch off then on, turned the breaker off then on again and no luck. The model is Lennox C33-30B-2F

    This summer my ac went out and after googling I was able to figure it out on my own. Easy solution, a new capacitor, I did it myself and saved a bunch of money. I take pride in being a young female homeowner and doing things on my own. I love to learn, it interests me, and I love the feeling that I fixed it.

    So I had a coworker come over and take a look at it. He takes the cover off flips the switch, I turned the thermostat to heat and boom it starts running. How embarrassing. He said before he turned the switch on he didn't like that he could spin the wheel belt? (oh god I can't even remember what he called it) by hand and it would easily spin. When I turned the heat on it would spin but it seemed to be wobbly and unsteady. I thought maybe we can tighten it, but apparently that's not a thing. He said he's never seen one be able to loosely spin like that, BUT he's not too familiar with Lennox and hasn't really worked with them much.

    He mentioned if I replace that part I'd most likely be fine. Right away I start googling and I can't seem to find any parts that look like mine. Is it so damaged that it doesn't even look like it's supposed to?! When I search my model in I really don't see any furnaces that look exactly like mine. I'm hoping I could do this myself, but just feel really lost that the internet is failing me. Maybe it's just my internet skills.

    Here are some pictures and I have a video I could post if that's possible (just can't seem to stop embarrassing myself). I hope this isn't too silly or basic that I should be ashamed I couldn't figure it out. If anyone could please maybe just describe the part to me or let me know if it's normal to spin the way it does; freely when off and unsteady when on.

    Thanks so much for any help, I really appreciate it!

    Lennox

    submitted by /u/CiraDirci
    [link] [comments]

    How do I prevent plywood from warping outdoors? Building privacy / noise screen.

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 10:20 AM PDT

    I plan to create a privacy screen to be used outdoors (attached to top of fence) mainly out of a sheet of plywood. I am using plywood as opposed to something like lattice because it blocks sound. It will be painted. Can I build a border or something around the edges to that it will stay sturdy and flat even after years of being exposed to rain and wind and varying temperatures? What kind of wood should I purchase and how should I fasten it all together? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/OutdoorsyGeek
    [link] [comments]

    Removing and replacing 100 sq. ft of tile - what do I need to do to prepare the surface?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 12:36 PM PDT

    I'm planning to replace 100sq. ft of tiles in our mud room. Currently there is an older tile floor installed. Underneath the tile is concrete. I've only done tiling of backsplashes up to this point, so I'm brand new with tiling floors.

    So to start, obviously I need to remove the old tile. I'm planning to tackle that this weekend, but what do I need to do after that to prepare the surface?

    I imagine it won't be completely flat since there will be adhesive left over on the surface right? Do I need to remove every square inch of it? If the surface isn't completely flat should I look into pouring a layer self-leveling cement? Will the new tiles stick directly to the surface or do I need to install some sort of sub-flooring like OSB?

    Any advice here is greatly appreciated, I've found lots of resources on installing the tile, but not as many on preparing the surface.

    submitted by /u/lingodayz
    [link] [comments]

    Right choice with gel stain?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 08:35 PM PDT

    I want to add a few improvements to our living room to give it some needed character/definition- but I honestly don't know the best approach.

    There are a couple of natural finished maple cabinets that line a wall. I was thinking about using gel stain to darken them up and then add additional, matching millwork on the walls. Never used gel stain and I've never added millwork from scratch.

    Am I destined to screw this up?

    submitted by /u/Steely-Dave
    [link] [comments]

    Spraying cabinets. Am I crazy?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 12:21 PM PDT

    Our kitchen cabinets are a late 90s light wood color. Am I crazy to buy a professional grade sprayer and attempt to update them myself? Is it possible to get a factory finish from someone with 0 experience doing this?

    Edit: thanks everyone! Some great advice in here.

    submitted by /u/invictusliber
    [link] [comments]

    Could there be a reason these ducts aren't connected?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 06:01 PM PDT

    I found these ducts in my basement that are completely disconnect. The duct on the left goes to a floor vent in my living room and the duct on the right is coming from the furnace. The duct on the right is currently just blowing into the crawlspace. There is another floor vent in the living room but obviously this one isn't blowing anything at all. Is there a reason for it to be this way or should I fix it?

    submitted by /u/JazHays
    [link] [comments]

    Advice about redoing shower

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 04:24 PM PDT

    We have just ripped up our floor tiles and are unsure how to proceed next. There is a thick material attached to the tiles (about 15mm deep). What is it and what would be our next step regarding the floor. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

    https://imgur.com/a/1mB1pWR

    submitted by /u/zbg8282797
    [link] [comments]

    Water leaked through my home being built - What to do?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 05:56 PM PDT

    Pics: https://imgur.com/a/lLdffHd

    We're about a month out from closing.

    About a week ago, there were some heavy storms and water leaked through the side roof (apparently the roofers messed up on the side roof). In the pictures you can see the water in the ceiling and hardwood floors.

    The builder is saying that the floors don't show any damage and are fine and that they will cut a hole in the ceiling to inspect the insulation/sheetrock. They are a reputable builder and I have a good relationship with them.

    However, I want to check with you for a second opinion - what should I be doing here and how do I ensure that the new home I am purchasing is "okay"? I will have a home inspector later on but they won't be able to see behind the floors/ceilings.

    Other notes: Below the hardwood is concrete. Water was present on the floors for at least 24 hours if not 36+. Appreciate the input.

    submitted by /u/Cheesecake_Tiramisu
    [link] [comments]

    Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Broke Off Inside Ceiling Fan Unit. Any ideas?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 12:19 PM PDT

    Pics:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/L2azT8C

    We have a ceiling fan over top of our bed that is only controlled by the pull chains. The other night, my wife pulled on the pull chain the controls the fan and it broke right off. If you look closely enough in the 1 pic, you can see the pull chain is broken off a good 2 inches inside the unit.

    So today I took the fan down and the goldish circular piece that holds the pull chain is set in the housing pretty well. It doesn't seem like it's going to come out even if I undo all the wiring in the unit.

    Anyone ever come across this before? Any ideas or am I SOL? The funniest part is there is no on/off switch for this fan, and it isn't connected to a switched outlet. Only the pull chains will turn the lights or the fan off or on. The only way to turn it off so I can take the fan down and work on it is to turn the breaker off. Otherwise, when the breaker is on, the lights are on and the fan is spinning at its highest setting going a million miles an hour while freezing out my wife and I lol.

    I'm open to any ideas. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Dawk1920
    [link] [comments]

    Sagging roof! What are my options!

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 09:14 AM PDT

    Roof was replaced in 2019, but there is some pretty obvious sag going on. What can be done to fix this?

    I have no experience with roofs, we actually just purchased this house at the beginning of the year and the inspector we chose said nothing about the sag.

    https://imgur.com/a/LMbxTHU

    submitted by /u/jochoa0493
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment