• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 28, 2020

    Home security: Garage broken in, what next?

    Home security: Garage broken in, what next?


    Garage broken in, what next?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2020 03:54 PM PDT

    Our garage was broken into last night. We have an alarm system (Abode) which we forgot to set (it's rare that we forget it, but I think that's just a coincidence and the thieves' luck).

    I have reason to believe this was targeted — only our garage among all the neighbors had bicycles worth stealing and the thieves came prepared (angle grinder, transportation of bikes, etc.) That also gives me reason same thing may happen in the future.

    I don't know how they entered the garage.

    Garage doesn't have any other entrance/exit but the garage door. I don't see any signs of applied force (no marks, the door slides properly, everything is in order). Our emergency latch (that ropey thing) had already been disabled. The hole on the door that looks like a peephole is undisturbed (spider webs are intact).

    The door opener is Chamberlain B970. Wifi is disabled.

    What are my options for future? I'll change the password of our external keypad and may consider installing a remote-controlled deadbolt. But if the remote is compromised and the deadbolt uses the same remote it won't provide extra security. Other than that I don't know what went wrong and how to mitigate for it. Any recommendations are welcome.

    submitted by /u/toperato
    [link] [comments]

    Help with camera selection

    Posted: 27 Oct 2020 06:37 PM PDT

    I don't know anything about how this stuff works...

    I would like to install an outdoor camera in front of my office. If it could "see" about 30', it would capture 4 different exterior entrances and I think having it outside would also be a visual deterrent. I can get internet access, though it's not great since we are pretty rural.

    Is there a preferred camera that would somehow record and save 1 or 2 weeks of activity? Depending on how it is triggered, there can be quite a lot of daytime activity, but very little to none in the evening, which is mostly when I am concerned.

    I don't really know where to start or what feature set I should be looking for, etc... and any help would greatly be appreciated.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Cuestick33
    [link] [comments]

    Please help me figure this out

    Posted: 27 Oct 2020 05:49 PM PDT

    One of my door sensors are broken and instead of replacing it, I figured it would just be cheaper to completely remove it. The problem is the system won't arm now that the sensor is broken. I looked into override settings and it turns out I'm not able to disable that particular sensor from my keypad. I looked into whether I can disable its terminal directly from the control panel but it's bundled together with a few other zones and I'm not sure how to remove that specific wire. Sorry if it's a noob question, any help and you have all my love

    submitted by /u/perwinklefarts
    [link] [comments]

    ATP-1000 display contrast

    Posted: 27 Oct 2020 05:06 PM PDT

    I think I have narrowed down my blank keypad problem to the contrast setting. The installation instructions actually has a troubleshooting entry for blank display and it says a contrast setting of zero would have this effect.

    So I look at the contrast instructions:

    1. Enter configuration mode by pressing the D and 6 buttons together for at least two seconds. The display shows DA nnn. [It doesn't. Is the "D" button the one that is also labelled "exit"?]

    2. Press and release the 1 and 2 buttons together repeatedly, until the desired contrast level is displayed. [Nothing happens]

    3. Press Ç and the display briefly shows DONE, then shows the time and date. [What is the Ç button??]

    These typos make me suspicious of this entire section. The keypad seems to be operating correctly in all other respects. Can someone confirm the contrast sequence?

    submitted by /u/greenbluewhite
    [link] [comments]

    OUTDOOR camera that doesn't need wifi

    Posted: 27 Oct 2020 10:17 AM PDT

    My wifi goes out a lot and my neighbors are nuts. What is a good OUTDOOR camera that does NOT require a wifi connection and has decent night vision? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/EveningSun1785
    [link] [comments]

    What's the advantage of a professional installed system over a DIY install? Is a Honeywell pro-install more secure / more reliable than a Qolsys self-install?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2020 01:45 PM PDT

    Can I have a Simplisafe camera on a different wi-fi network than the base station?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2020 05:33 AM PDT

    I'm thinking of getting another Simplisafe camera for the garage. The garage does have wi-fi but it's a different network/subnet from the main house where the base station is. Both networks' routers are connected to each other via Ethernet as well as to the Internet, but they're on different subnets (192.168.100.x and 192.168.200.x). Will this setup work, or is the expectation with Simplisafe systems that all devices are on the same network?

    submitted by /u/mgmgmgmgmgm
    [link] [comments]

    Vivint Rewire Question

    Posted: 27 Oct 2020 06:47 AM PDT

    Heylo!

    Question upfront: Would a simple unmanaged PoE Switch allow all my pieces to still properly talk to each other? I have a couple cameras, a DVR, and the main panel, nothing fancy, and minimal power demands.

    I have a Vivint system that I'm about 3.5/5 stars on. They installed the cameras using gigabit links through the outlets. They all work dandy but... I f@$%ing hate the way the bricks look, they take up half of the outlets in the house, and take up two of my routers ports. I can run CAT5/6 without much issue, the stuff is cheap af these days. A new outlet and some elbow grease and I can hardwire all this sh!t properly.

    Vivint hate is fine, I have no love for them, but the system works and it'll be another selling point when we move. But I cant get rid of it, so improving it or live with it are my only options.

    Secondary question, would Cat5e be worth the $20 in savings over Cat6 for camera and DVR. I realize that's more of a networking question but if someone happens to be confident in thier networking knowledge feel free to chime in, please.

    submitted by /u/JukeRedlin
    [link] [comments]

    Weighing integrated camera/security system and features

    Posted: 27 Oct 2020 05:54 AM PDT

    I'm finally going to jump on getting a home security and camera system. I had been pretty set on the Google Nest system - mainly because of the features of their cameras such as facial recognition and the fact I already have Google in my house. With the recent news that Google with no longer sell Nest security systems, I am at an impasse as far as what to get.

    As mentioned before, I really like the features provided with the Nest cameras, but I also wanted a security system which would seamlessly integrate the security system and the cameras together. I've started looking at Simplisafe, but their cameras don't seem to be as good. Do I really want to split the system between different cameras and security. I could go down the Ring road, but like Simplisafe, the cameras don't have the facial recognition features available on Google. For that matter - do I even need facial recognition?

    What do you folks think - should I split the camera and security system - or - should I go for an integrated system? What is the recommended setup in this situation?

    submitted by /u/b1gandta11
    [link] [comments]

    [Crosspost] I Am a serial entrepreneur and co-founder in the video and AI space. I raised a $1 million seed round earlier this year. AMA!

    Posted: 27 Oct 2020 01:31 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment