• Breaking News

    Monday, June 8, 2020

    Home security: Camera to read license plates?

    Home security: Camera to read license plates?


    Camera to read license plates?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 10:54 AM PDT

    Looking for one that could read license plates about 45 ft away. Anyone have suggestions? Caught a car and a guy that took some stuff from my backyard. Got him but not his plate.

    submitted by /u/Iamthemaster1000
    [link] [comments]

    Any Vivint employees here? I’d like a couple straight answers without the sales pitch.

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 04:37 PM PDT

    Custom Home Security System

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 12:49 PM PDT

    Hey everyone!

    I'm sure all you home defense experts get this question a ton, so apologies for the redundancy here. I scoured through some of the other posts but can't really find anything that fits the bill for my situation.

    Long story short, my fiance and I just moved into a new home from an apartment. We went from having to worry about 800sqft to 2ksqft, which has thrown me for a loop on how to secure the place. We are renting and do not own property, so I'm really trying to keep this thing on a budget. I've looked into HomeKit and SmartThings, but all the horror stories I've read in this sub talk about how they often times trigger false motion, etc. I'd also prefer to find a solution that doesn't cost me monthly for monitoring... I can do that myself (hopefully... with your guidance).

    Here is what I'd ideally like for the home, but would love any advice if you think these things are/aren't needed:

    - 8-10 window/door sensors

    - 2 motion sensors

    - 1 Loud alarm

    - Iphone Compatability

    Is there an all in one box kit type of thing that could get me started? Am I forgetting anything important? Right now, all I own is an Arlo camera and a couple guns (which both of us are very experienced with and practice proper gun safety ALWAYS). I've already reinforced the doors.

    Thanks so much!

    submitted by /u/-----COVID-19-----
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone had window security film installed on their windows?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 06:47 PM PDT

    Would love to hear reviews on security film if anyone has any experience with it. We're in a hurricane area and would also like it to delay anyone trying to B&E. Not a fan of plywood or iron as it's conspicuous, ugly and highlights the house outside of hurricane season. Not sure what the price comparison is or if it's self-installable but all things we're also trying to research.

    submitted by /u/NotAnotherDownvote
    [link] [comments]

    How can I dismiss a Check 100 RF error on my ADT Safewatch Pro 3000/Custom system?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 03:34 PM PDT

    I'm sitting down, in the middle of a discussion, and all of a sudden, our alarm system starts chiming, like it would if a sensor's battery is dying (all the sensors are wireless). So I go up to the keypad to see which one it is, but instead it gave me this Check 100 RF error. I searched online to see if I could find a way to fix it, but everything was for a DIY alarm system. This system was installed by ADT, but no longer monitored by them. We only use it for the convenient door-announcing feature now because we have a newer system as well.

    I know that it has to do with the RF receiver/transmitter, but how can I fix this (preferably without calling ADT)? The breaker is currently switched off, but that obviously isn't a long-term solution.

    submitted by /u/iancbogue
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations for locally-based home security systems?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 01:40 PM PDT

    Hello! I just bought my first property, a modest first-floor condo in a suburb of a big city. I would like to get something to monitor my place.

    The catch: I have someone who's been anonymously harassing me off and on over the last few years (sending me anonymous texts/creepy calls, etc). I am hesitant to get anything cloud-based because of this; I am not so worried about Uncle Sam spying on me as I am about the network getting hacked and this person finding out when I'm home and when I'm not. I do have a nest thermometer I was given as a closing gift, but it's not hooked up to wifi (JUST bought the unit, do not have any internet yet, but the thermostat functions.)

    Ideally, I'd like something that can monitor both doors of the condo. A video doorbell would be nice, but I don't know if a non-cloud one that doesn't have to be connected to Wi-Fi exists. I'm also open to other suggestions y'all may have.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/sarahkazz
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions on how to secure a small safe in master bedroom.

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 07:44 PM PDT

    Hello everyone, I own my home and the master bedroom is where I am wanting to put a small safe (bad place I know) for quick access to a gun (example, V-Line Brute). It also should be able to store a few valuables if desired. The problem is, I have laminate floors and the gun safes I am looking at have 2-4 small holes for bolts but I have to be able to secure it to wood. My closet is ideal since it is out of sight for most eyes but it still has laminate floors. I did have an idea to make a big concrete block to put in there (few bags of quikrete could do it for weight) and secure the safe to that but I am not sure if that is overkill or a bad idea.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/xdojox
    [link] [comments]

    Samsung NVR on Mac OS

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 05:15 AM PDT

    Hello can you please recommend a free VMS software for Samsung NVR works on MAC OS ?

    submitted by /u/kookeee
    [link] [comments]

    Small Business Security Cameras

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 05:26 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I know this isn't really a help me Reddit but I just wanted some advice. Right now I'm opening a medical supply and I need 2-4 cameras. I want a system that would be able to make out a face if we see it rather than those .5 MP HAVE YOU SEEN THIS MAN. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/gabegap
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment