• Breaking News

    Saturday, October 17, 2020

    Home security: 101 on finding hidden Cameras/microphones in your house?

    Home security: 101 on finding hidden Cameras/microphones in your house?


    101 on finding hidden Cameras/microphones in your house?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 06:18 PM PDT

    Title, I just made a post about weird activity around my home, and someone brought up the possibility of hidden Cameras or microphones

    while I don't want to be paranoid, any tips/things I could do to check?

    Do the Phone-apps that scan for electronic activity or hidden cameras actually work as advertised?

    submitted by /u/inquisitor_xeelee2
    [link] [comments]

    ADT and push notifications

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 10:53 PM PDT

    My inlaw somehow has her phone receiving video notifications via SMS. The kicker is, she didn't set it up, and she has no clue who's house (side of the house) it is nor can we tell where it is (city). Whomever set the camera up has the sensitivity up high and she receives multiple notifications a day. I've spoken to ADT and they don't show the number as a primary in their database and couldn't connect her to any account. The notifications contain no Identification. Anyone ever come across a situation like this?

    submitted by /u/EkimDaGr3at
    [link] [comments]

    Kwickset 910 exclusion help

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 07:04 PM PDT

    I had Vivint come pickup their equipment (I didn't care for it) but they forgot to exclude my deadbolt !!

    I just purchased a Ring alarm system and it won't completely pair with this deadbolt. I'm assuming because it's still paired with the old Vivint system that's no longer in my home ???

    Does anyone have any steps on how I can pair this with my new system ???

    submitted by /u/texasrenegade83
    [link] [comments]

    Cameras that can use Alfred App ?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 10:39 PM PDT

    So, I'm using at the moment an old phone in a cup on the floor close to a window and facing to the outside to capture any movement, and the reason is mainly to find who's not picking up after his/her dog and leaving brown gifts all over.

    I downloaded an app called Alfred (I found out about it in Reddit) and it's really nice. It stores everything in their cloud for 7 days. It only captures when things are moving, like an animal or person walking by ..etc.

    Now, the set-up with the cellphone is not ideal.

    Is there some tiny camera that can use the App just like the cellphone ? I was thinking to fasten it neatly somehow at one corner of the window or the frame and run its cable discreetly along the window trim ..etc.

    submitted by /u/Abdel403
    [link] [comments]

    Alternative to Shinobi

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 09:42 PM PDT

    As the title implies, I've been using shinobi for about 6 months for the 1 camera I have at my house. I'm expanding and adding two more bullet cameras and a ptz camera as well.

    Shinobi was ok, but none of the features I wanted are working such as mobile notifications, discord bot, and much more.

    What alternatives do you guys like? I'm not against payware unless it's like $20 a month or something. Prefer it to be self hosted because I have plenty of storage available locally on my NAS.

    submitted by /u/djneubs
    [link] [comments]

    Very specific use case for home security camera (maybe)

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 11:05 AM PDT

    hello,

    Im looking at outfitting my house with some home security cameras, We recently moved to the country so privacy is great but that also scares me as if someone comes up our driveway you wont be able to see them from the road., giving lots of time if we are away for something to happen.

    I think im leaning towards and IP system as Im good with networking and can run my own lines but I want to have a camera just outside my door or garage but then have a monitor inside the front hall that is always on(or at the push of a button comes on) that just shows this camera. almost using it like a peep hole.

    My issue is, should i run everything back to a central location and then just output that one camera on a dedicated line to this monitor? or is there a way to split the signal from the camera to go to the monitor and the DVR? like IP cctv combo camera or something? Last option would it just be better to have two cameras, one being recorded to a DVR and a second as a peep hole style only feeding that monitor and not being recorded? if so what would be the best camera to have on a dedicated monitor 24/7. preferable direct from camera to TV like a webcam?

    Any camera models or ideas are welcome as im still new.

    Thank you

    edit: thank you for the fast replies and info! I learned things and its opened more options :)

    submitted by /u/ZylkaLeftridge
    [link] [comments]

    What would be a good, cost effective security camera? More details below

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 04:51 PM PDT

    Hi there. I'm very new here and didn't know how else to find this info from people who know their stuff, so I hope you don't mind.

    I am currently in need of a security camera for my front porch. The porch is small, so range isn't needed. A clear image for both night and day are, however. I have decided to keep it indoors, behind a bay window that looks out on to the porch, so outdoor/weather proofing aren't a huge concern either. The issue is I'm on a budget and I dont know where to start. So it needs to be really cost effective. I'm not worried about critters or anything, I'm just looking to report and ID the guy who has been vandalizing my home. (Easy set up would be a huge plus. I am not too tech savvy)

    If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thank you for your time.

    submitted by /u/angroro
    [link] [comments]

    Just bought a house with adt system wired up, id like to use the existing equipment and add some additional sensors...help?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 11:59 AM PDT

    Hey there! So just bought a place and the front door/back door have sensors that go to a scw9057g-433 panel. The previous owner had adt monitor the system but im looking to self monitor instead for break ins, and ideally I'd like to have our smoke detectors call the fire department. I'd also like to add some window break sensors, maybe a camera, maybe a motion detector. I'm an extremely handy person so not too worried about setting this stuff up myself im just not sure if i need to swap that alarm panel to do what i want, also not sure if what im looking for is realistic or not. Any input or direction would be greatly greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/clockworkfish
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a thing? A person breaking into your home and not taking anything, just leaving evidence and showing that he can break in and you're not safe

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 02:22 PM PDT

    At first I thought I was just being paranoid, and confirmation bias is a thing, but:

    random object's I never hand just appearing in obvious places, IE, there's just a 4-inch long Nail on the floor beside my dinner table

    A place where I keep receipts just re-arranged, scattered everywhere

    They stole an ID card that wasn't in use.

    I literally don't know anyone, very introverted around me

    Is there a name for something like this?

    This has been occuring for several months, and I have a monoxide detector.....even though I don't have any gas furnace, it's a new building.

    The thing is, while some of the stuff is blatantly obvious, the police/the apartment security here just can't do anything about it, like you tell them you think someone broke into your house, dropped at 4-inch Nail (like the type to nail wood boards),

    and just left?

    submitted by /u/inquisitor_xeelee2
    [link] [comments]

    Quick question about PoE switch and NVR

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 12:32 PM PDT

    I'll try and be brief. Im looking at getting a Reolink Poe system. (Also looking at Dahua or Hikvision). I currently have an analog system so am a little unfamiliar with this new high definition territory.

    I plan on buying an 8 camera system with capabilities to expand to 16. The NVR comes with 16 poe ports.

    Now the plan is to wire one ethernet from router to the attic, connect to a gigabit switch and have all of cameras connect to that so I only have one wire coming out of the wall. Firstly, reolink says they dont recommend this method because it will lag after 3 cameras. Isnt this how people wire systems?

    Other question being, since I will only need one poe port to connect to the switch, can I skimp and get a 4 camera reolink NVR with only 4 ports, and manage/see 16 cameras on it? Not sure if you are paying for software or extra storage for 16 cameras, or just extra ports in the back i wont use. Thank you for your help.

    submitted by /u/krogers321
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment