• Breaking News

    Friday, October 2, 2020

    Home Improvement: DIY Laminate Flooring Redditor Fail Update! A fellow Redditor u/satanicthor that lived nearby, came to help!

    Home Improvement: DIY Laminate Flooring Redditor Fail Update! A fellow Redditor u/satanicthor that lived nearby, came to help!


    DIY Laminate Flooring Redditor Fail Update! A fellow Redditor u/satanicthor that lived nearby, came to help!

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 05:28 AM PDT

    Thanks to all the comments on my original post. I've never gotten this much attention on anything ever! There were literally so many comments, that it was very hard to respond to all of them! I still have a ton of PMs of people wanting to help me with this mess. And I want to let everyone know that my floors are saved! Thanks to u/satanicthor and his wife for helping me! Here are pictures https://imgur.com/gallery/GUyjzYI

    submitted by /u/thebritsterz
    [link] [comments]

    Saving 100 year old hardwood flooring hidden under crap tile

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 06:20 PM PDT

    Front hall remodel: floors Synopsis: A month ago, the tile in my front hall buckled and rendered the front door inoperable. In demo'ing the tile, I found the original 100 year old hardwood, and decided to salvage it. This is the result.

    Materials - $299: Rotary hammer, Makita (with free angle grinder!) - $89: 5.5" Orbital Sander, Makita - $20: Sanding disks, 60 grit, qty 100 (Amazon) - $45, 3M respirator (Amazon) - $19.97, Chisel set, Husky (Home Depot) - ~$40, 2 2x4s - $46.98, Varathane satin finish high traffic oil-based polyurethane - $18.95, 1/8" x 36" pine craft dowels (Wooden Dowel Rods - 1/8" x 36" Unfinished Hardwood Sticks - for Crafts and DIY'ers - Craftparts Direct - Bag of 100 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YVX9OU4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lZ8DFb4EYWCN1) - 20ish hours of labor over 1 month

    About a month ago, the tile by my front door buckled and blocked the front door from opening. So I decided to rip it out and install new wood. It was only 80 square feet, how bad could it be? I realize that, under the terrible tile job and underlayment is...original 1920 hardwood. Oh my.

    So I decided to try to save it. Which on the whole wasn't that bad...except that, thanks to I guess everyone else's quarantine projects, sander rentals were not to be had within an hour+ drive (I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area), there were slim pickings at local pawn shops, and the best option in my budget/time frame (this is my front door, remember) was a 5.5" orbital sander, which took a week to arrive off Amazon.

    Overall, it took about 7-8 hours to sand the floor down by hand. I wasn't focused on perfect; these were old, distressed floors and I embraced that. For my sanity. Once sanded, I had a lot of damage to address - gaps, nail holes, etc. After doing some research, the best fix I came across was to use rip-cut wood to fill the gaps...but a decent enough table saw to cut 1/8" strips was well outside my budget. So I used 1/8" pine craft dowels to fill the gaps and nail holes. Hey, distressed wood, roll with it right?!

    In the process, we found a section of the floor that had been cut away by the previous contractor...and not reinforced, or backed, or...anything. So this is likely what made the tile buckle. I was able to source some spare wood to patch this random hole, and had to get under the house to build a framework to support this stupid hole.

    Once I got it sanded, I cleaned it up, laid down two coats of polyurethane, did a quick hand-sand at 220 grit, and laid the third coat down. Overall the flooring itself took a month of nights, weekends, and waiting for parts to arrive. Up next, new trim!

    submitted by /u/syzygialchaos
    [link] [comments]

    Rain gutter installation failure. I'm getting up in the years but I could have done better than this

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 06:48 PM PDT

    I have a bad hip and am not allowed on ladders currently so I hired a contractor. I asked if he needed me to move anything and he said he would take care of it. https://imgur.com/a/zzxDPq9

    submitted by /u/ericn1300
    [link] [comments]

    Locked out of new house

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 08:00 PM PDT

    Based on a perfect storm of stupidity, I am locked out of our new house. The culprit is an exterior door knob that we do not seem to have a key for. We are able to unlock the deadbolt.

    So, question is what DIY solution will be most effective and cause the least headache afterwards damage wise? Currently the only options I see are trying to drill the lock, or shouldering in the door. Any advice would be much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/skulltvhat
    [link] [comments]

    My bathroom fan is vented into the attic. Contractor said this isn't an issue because I have high ceiling. BS?

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 05:58 PM PDT

    Recently had a bathroom fan on second floor installed & it is vented into the attic. I expressed concern about water condensation in winter -> mold issues. Contractor replied with "high ceiling = ok".

    It's a master bathroom with separate shower, tub and toilet.

    I still don't see how ceiling height is relevant, thoughts?If it helps I'm in Atlanta GA

    submitted by /u/lawyxr
    [link] [comments]

    Run cables on wall?

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 06:57 PM PDT

    Hi! I would like to run cables along my wall, something like that:

    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/55/a8/b4/55a8b4f72b98a869ab1af3594b4862d6.jpg

    Is there anyway I could do it without using glue? Any suggestions?

    Thank you :)

    submitted by /u/Remy4409
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone ever seen this done to a chimney?

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 07:03 PM PDT

    What am I looking at? Any ideas? Went into the basement and saw this today. We bought a new home and I never realized this tbh. I know the chimney seems to lean outside and need someone to look at it. This pic is the basement.

    *Why the bricks move up then over

    http://imgur.com/gallery/Jbremos

    submitted by /u/Z0diaQ
    [link] [comments]

    Problems with caulking tub surround

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 08:02 PM PDT

    I just bought a really old house and was prepared for some issues. The latest issue is the tub. The caulking does not stick to the tub surround, which you can press on and it flexes like an inch. So upon the advice of the internet, I removed old caulk, filled up the tub halfway with water, and was prepared to re-caulk. However behind the caulk/tub surround is nasty brown stuff which I imagine is old caulk or water damage? It kind of smells moldy too but my nose hasn't been 100% and I think I was just smelling the mold smell from the sink, which is another issue. So my question is what is this brown stuff and should I just have the tub/surround torn up and replaced? Is the tub surround supposed to flex that much? http://imgur.com/a/ITjOGnn the last pic is my temporary caulking job which I don't even know will work since the surround wall kept moving when I was applying the caulk...

    Edit: there is no visible water damage looking up at the floor through the basement

    submitted by /u/namecatjerry
    [link] [comments]

    Does it matter if my deck stairs arent 100% level?

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 02:04 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    Stairs https://imgur.com/a/Ho6HZJH

    Working on my deck stairs. Replacing a few rotten boards and sanded it and am preparing to stain. I noticed they're not level at the top and get more level towards the bottom(see photos). Does this matter?

    The deck where they are attached is slightly unlevel as well and I think this is so water will drain away from the house.

    The cement pads where the bottom of the stairs likely have shifted/sunk over the years. I can level out the bottom a bit more by lifting up the Left side (I put a strip of plywood there to make it level) but I dont know if it is worth lifting up that side of the steps or if I should just leave it. These stairs are probably 8ish years old. But I'm not sure.

    submitted by /u/Ryzer32
    [link] [comments]

    Duck house is leaning and gate wont close

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 08:00 PM PDT

    I built this 8x8x3ft chicken tractor for my ducks. My problem is that its leaning to the right side and the gate is leaning to far for me to close it. When I pull the wood to the left it corrects it self. Any ideas are helpful. Tomorrow I think I will add a piece of wood that goes from the corner to corner

    Another problem is that the whole side swings open as a gate. I've been using bungee cordsn bungee keeps breaking and loosening up does anyone have any better ideas? The door goes up and down.

    submitted by /u/Dr_Native
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing cut concrete square in floor of garage..

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 04:34 PM PDT

    Today, a van carrying a trailer full of miscellaneous items pulled up in our driveway. A man came up and told us how he grew up in our house. His name is actually written in our crawl space and we are familiar with some of the local relatives he mentioned.

    Then he goes on to tell us that his grandfather buried gold underneath the concrete floor of our garage in the fifties. Apparently his grandpa showed him where it was buried when he was 13. He went on to tell us how much he thinks it would be valued now, among other tales about the community's gold rush.

    Conveniently, he owns a concrete business. He gave us his card so I looked up the company online. Seems legit.

    If for some reason, this hypothetical gold did exist.. and he were to cut a concrete square about 3 x 3: would it be easy to fill/fix?

    I really didn't know where else to post this. I am suspicious of course.. however, our small town's scandalous gold mining history (and the fact that I watched the Goonies today) makes me curious.

    Worst case, we cut a hole, find nothing, and fill it. Best case, I'm buying a whole new garage.

    submitted by /u/elwoodbluesmcallen
    [link] [comments]

    Shower caulking removed. Help

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 03:28 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    The caulking in my shower was falling apart and my dad removed it.

    My dad isn't a handy man and sometimes fuck shit up. So I'm looking for advice and help.

    It appears that pieces of the shower are not in lined. Not sure if this was like this before and the caulking just covered it up but my dad wants to put caulking back. Which is a good idea but he also wants to put something in the back of the shower so that the pieces align. See picture. This is where I'm slightly worried. Do you think it's wise to put something in the back and make it align then caulk it up. If so what kind of piece would we put?

    Or is it best to just caulk the shit.

    shower caulking

    submitted by /u/naruto_goku23k
    [link] [comments]

    How do I fix a pair of power sockets that only work if both have something plugged in?

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 04:07 PM PDT

    I Just inherited a house from a family member, and there are two outlets in a room controlled by a switch. For as long as I can remember each socket had one lamp plugged in. We decided to remove one lamp but unplugging it makes the other lamp turn off. Unless something in plugged into both outlets simultaneously, neither outlet will work.

    I tried replacing both outlets & the light switch with new ones but the problem persists, so it isn't loose wires. I also checked with a three prong circuit teste and it shows no problem (if the other outlet has something plugged in).

    Anyone have any idea what I should check next, or a clue on what the problem is?

    submitted by /u/Hikaruchu
    [link] [comments]

    Bad flooring installation?

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 08:46 PM PDT

    Here's the link to the images: https://imgur.com/gallery/B3oTX58

    Hi, I'm completely stressed thinking about this. I had flooring (vinyl plank) installed this week. They just finished yesterday. Still in the process of moving (delayed because we were waiting for the flooring....), so just had the chance to really inspect... and I think this look like...crap. I went through a "reputable" ($$$) company. And they offer lifetime/installation guarantee, warranty and whatnot. I am definitely gonna be raising my concerns tomorrow morning. But I guess I need some consensus that this installation is bad!? Really worried about the noticeable gap between the wall/moldings and the flooring. Is this from bad installation or how the wall is? Just tryna gather how to voice my concerns. Thank you for any feedback you can provide.

    submitted by /u/b-chi
    [link] [comments]

    Interior Door MisAlignent

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 08:30 PM PDT

    My doors in the interior have become misaligned They won't lock in Any suggestions how to fix it

    submitted by /u/vegasbill89139
    [link] [comments]

    So I Was about to replace the water heater and noticed something funny with the gas line running in.

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 04:35 PM PDT

    Whomever put in the last one decided to use galvanized pipe as their gas line and just painted it black. http://imgur.com/a/lXjdeUB .

    I was replacing all of the galvanized water lines with copper anyways, but thought it was funny someone decided to not use proper black pipe and just decided to paint it instead. Guess the gas line is getting replaced too!

    submitted by /u/rainytreeday
    [link] [comments]

    Window code??? Tint level??

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 08:19 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I live in San Mateo county and am thinking of replacing my living room windows. I think I found the window codes for this county but I heard that there is some kind of code regarding window tint level??? I don't want my windows tinted but I heard that it needs to be??? Could someone please help?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Rivaladversary
    [link] [comments]

    Fireplace help

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 05:58 PM PDT

    So previous owner painted our non functional fireplace the same color as the walls, it's all dusty blue every where. Any ideas on how to change it up?fireplace

    submitted by /u/TheGeneralTulliuss
    [link] [comments]

    Installing posts to Simpson post base

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 08:09 PM PDT

    I am unclear on how to install the post into a concrete set Simpson PB44 base. The corners of the base are not square, preventing the post from sitting flush against the bottom face.

    Is the post meant to be a little bigger than the opening and spread out when the post base load is put down and allow the post to sit flush at the bottom and fit tightly in the corners?

    submitted by /u/mmxxtools
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on running A/C refrigerant lines on the outside of house or inside walls?

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 05:57 PM PDT

    Many contractors have told me people usually run AC lines on the inside of the wall bays during renovation because it looks better. I think it is better on the outside of the house in case of a leak or condensation, walls won't have to be torn out later.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/trowdatawhey
    [link] [comments]

    Install bathroom vent fan before new roof or after?

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 02:57 PM PDT

    Hello - I am getting a new roof in a few weeks. I also want to install a bathroom ceiling vent fan; there currently isn't one there. I am wondering - does it make more sense to install the bathroom vent before or after the new roof is put on? Since the bathroom vent pipe would go up through the roof to empty, I'm wondering this.

    So, could wait till new roof is on, then have to cut through the new roof for the vent pipe. OR install the vent pipe now (old roof) and then the roofers would just have another pipe to work around.

    submitted by /u/SeriousPuppet
    [link] [comments]

    Water tank and rotted floors question about what to do and when

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 05:26 PM PDT

    Called a plumber because I had water damage to my floors around water tank in a trailer we bought. Flooring is rotted and disgusting. Plumber quoted me for new water tank piping etc

    Wondering how I should go about this? I have replaced the flooring in other rooms so I can do that but I know nothing about plumbing. Can I have the old water tank removed by plumber, fix floor, and then have new tanks installed? Got my quite through Mr. Rooter.

    Edit: can I have no functioning water tank in home for a couple days?

    submitted by /u/toledotrev
    [link] [comments]

    Need information on peeling paint and drywall paper

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 05:16 PM PDT

    Recently moved into a new home and in one particular room the paint is peeling so easy. Even with just my fingers i can remove multiple sheets of paint up to a foot long. The issue is in some spots, it seems like drywall paper is also coming up with the paint. Before I start peeling this entire room; I wanted to get an idea of what this repair will entail. I dont mind skim coating, but would prefer not to lay new drywall. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Potential_Main_4511
    [link] [comments]

    Steam carpets or pull them up?

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 02:25 PM PDT

    Just closed on my first home yesterday. I don't ~need~ to move in immediately, as my current apartment lease is up in December. However, I am very excited and eager to move in. The home has wood floors in the main areas and carpet in the bedrooms. (3 bedrooms) I'm assuming it's the carpet that was built with the home in 2003. I was thinking of either renting a carpet steamer and using that on the carpets, or just pulling the carpets up completely and adding vinyl flooring myself. For those of you who have done floors yourself, is it doable? What's some advice you would give me? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/loopygloop
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment