• Breaking News

    Saturday, August 8, 2020

    Home security: Johnson Controls acquires remaining stake of Qolsys (Aug 4th, 2020)

    Home security: Johnson Controls acquires remaining stake of Qolsys (Aug 4th, 2020)


    Johnson Controls acquires remaining stake of Qolsys (Aug 4th, 2020)

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 02:59 PM PDT

    From: https://www.sptnews.ca/johnson-controls-acquires-remaining-stake-of-qolsys-business/

    Johnson Controls announced Tuesday it has acquired the remaining stake of Qolsys, a residential and commercial security and smart-home manufacturer, after owning a majority since 2014.

    The company states that the Qolsys founders and leadership team will remain in Silicon Valley (San Jose, Calif.) assuming key roles in Johnson Controls global intrusion business.

    This means DSC and Qolsys have the same owner now. DSC was owned by Tyco, which merged with Johnson Controls.

    submitted by /u/MCLMelonFarmer
    [link] [comments]

    Options for viewing DVR on Windows PC

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 05:55 PM PDT

    I view my camera system using Internet Explorer. I put in the local IP address (VPN to remote home) of the DVR and it automatically loads the DVR interface. Is there another tool or app I can use to view the DVR or is the only option? I'm using a Northern branded DVR. I think they might be rebranded Hikvision DVRs, but I don't know for sure.

    submitted by /u/biowiz
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor Camera w/ no basestation, or PoE basestation, or direct-to-wireless

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 05:49 PM PDT

    I have a large lot with the far end being about 440 feet away from the house. I actually have a single PoE powered camera run out that far with 24/7 recording, and several trail cams to supplement it. Recently someone came on my property, removed a trail cam, and yote it into the lake. Now I need to replace it.

    Another trail cam is an option, but I get tired of checking on them, pulling out the SD card, carrying it to the house, etc. I could get a more expensive Wi-Fi model, which makes the checking easier, but them I'm also risking something more expensive swimming with the fishes. I also feel like the majority of them are either overpriced, or are cheap whitelabled units, and sound quality is crap. All of the Wi-Fi ones seem to run off the same 2.3 star app. Basically, YMMV... One thing I like about them is that most have a little latch that you can lock to keep someone from easily getting at the SD card (which is why I think mind ended up in the lake).

    I'm also looking at the new Wyze Outdoor cam. I could put one out in travel mode and check on it every now and then. At $40, I don't -want- it to get stolen, but I would be able to live with myself if it was. Is there anything else like this on the market? I see the eufyCam E had a planned offline mode, but I don't know if it was ever released. It's also expensive enough that I would want it streaming so if it was stolen, I would at least get video of the person. Blink doesn't appear to have any kind of offline mode.

    The biggest problem is getting a base station close enough to this area to get a connection. There is no way a wireless signal will reach that far though dense forest. I could remove the current PoE camera and replace it with a base station for several wireless cameras, but there doesn't seem to be any base-station based systems that will run on PoE. A PoE splitter might be an option if the power budget is low enough (around 5v).

    It would also work to replace the PoE camera with an outdoor wireless access point if any of these cameras would use a standard wireless connection, instead of their own proprietary base station. I don't know of any that do this though.

    Edit: To summarize the constraints, I only have a single PoE drop to work with, and a max power budget on that of around 9w, no high voltage anywhere near the area. Live alerts would be awesome, but aren't a requirement if the equipment is cheap enough to absorb it's loss. Otherwise, something that is easy to check/download pictures from.

    submitted by /u/BeanBagKing
    [link] [comments]

    What should I look for in a smart front door deadbolt? What questions to ask of a supplier?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 05:12 AM PDT

    I'm guessing it shouldn't have a key as that's another attack surface.

    Are they pickable with a strong magnet like the Lockpickinglawyer likes to do?

    The ones I've seen have a 4-digit PIN. Can I make it six digit?

    What are the benefits of IFTT, and what happens if a lock loses internet connectivity? What happens if the cloud provider is hacked? Do smart locks have 2FA?

    Phones have a ~3-5 year lifespan if you look after them but eventually you don't get the current OS. Are smart locks the same? What service life will manufacturers keep firmware up to date?

    My current dumb deadbolt has a simple turning knob to exit from the inside. But I'm told it should be a key to stop burglars exiting when I'm not around. Do smart deadbolts do this? How do they work in an emergency evacuation like a fire or earthquake?

    This stuff may not be a dealbreaker in getting a smart deadbolt but I'd like to be aware of the issues. The reviews online assume I already accept that a smart bolt is right for me, and the manufacturer websites will never say "our product doesn't do xxx".

    submitted by /u/Random-Mutant
    [link] [comments]

    Phone - digital to analog for ADT?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 07:11 AM PDT

    A friend of mine just called. She just switched her internet from what i think was a form of DSL to cable with phone included. ADT called and said they are not receiving a signal and told her they would charge over $100 to come out to fix it. They told her they need a digital to analog filter. They wouldn't tell her the exact part to get. Real shocker.

    Are they just talking about the old school dsl phone line filters that you can get for like 10 bucks?

    submitted by /u/Otag
    [link] [comments]

    FrontPoint Security - Canada

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 02:41 PM PDT

    Hi all. Anyone from Ontario here using FrontPoint Security? I was browsing on their website and nowhere could I find what currency they were referring to when I was viewing their packages.

    I asked in their chat and the agent told me USD.

    So then that means their Ultimate Plan of $1.64/day is really $2.19 a day in CAD. That's close to 65.70 a month before tax! Wow, is this really true? What a shame as I was seriously considering them as an option.

    What really are my options? BTW I'm not looking into a 100% DIY package. I need professional monitoring but I don't want to break the bank.

    submitted by /u/DannyMellon
    [link] [comments]

    ADT/BHS-4000a panel disabled by ADT?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 02:04 PM PDT

    I have an ADT/BHS-4000a panel and recently decided to get it back in working order. I fixed the bad zone which was a proprietary smoke detector and have no zone faults anymore. however, i beleive ADT disabled it or it disabled itself some years ago because it has no account active to call into. I built the programmer designed by flan006 on youtube and have the ability to program it. However, for the life of me I cant figure out where they turned it off in software. since it is annoying to program it as the siren clicks when the system identifies my rs-485 dongle as a strange keyboard, my time is limited to trying things. I reset the date from 2007 to 2020 and got the master alarm code and installer code, but when it powers up the keypad just beeps at me whenever i try to do anything with a call 1800 adt message. Any hints on the most likely single entry that needs to be reenabled? thanks in advance and thanks to flan006 for writing the python server code to get into the box.

    submitted by /u/mechanicfanatic
    [link] [comments]

    Plug in indoor security cam with WiFi and software to backup to PC

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 04:53 AM PDT

    I've spent a bunch of time looking at options online. I intend to purchase two cameras to be placed in windows to monitor my parking area and the front porch. I have ample power outlets available and don't want to mess with batteries. Audio is not important. Just a clear picture. I'd rather not mess with cloud storage. SD cards are fine but it's important to back up to PC. Also remote viewing from smartphone. I'm happy for any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/LuckyDogLD
    [link] [comments]

    Honeywell, Luma, or Lorex?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 07:45 AM PDT

    I'm looking into getting a 4 camera (8 channel) security system. I've researched these 3 brands and they seem to have mostly positive reviews. I'm shooting for 8MP and 4k res. I can't seem to find any real forums that have more information than some rando "Security warehouse Super secure Happy Safe" website. Any input would be helpful.

    submitted by /u/acyclovir31
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment