• Breaking News

    Friday, August 21, 2020

    Home Improvement: I once had a prioritized list for remodeling my house

    Home Improvement: I once had a prioritized list for remodeling my house


    I once had a prioritized list for remodeling my house

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 09:32 AM PDT

    But then I met powder post beetles that have been here before my time and they are calling the shots now.

    New fireplace insert? Nah, powder post beetles destroyed the framing. New flooring? Nah, powder post beetles ate the corner of the house. New kitchen? Nah, gotta take down that second layer of siding the original bozo put up after wrapping the house in 6 mil plastic making a moist heaven for powder post beetles.

    At this rate, I may end up actually rebuilding this entire house one wall at a time.

    submitted by /u/openstruct
    [link] [comments]

    I just finished my basement and it’s been 3 months and I see this strange shape on the ceiling. See pics

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 04:25 AM PDT

    What is this? What should I do about it? https://i.imgur.com/jzBleSU.jpg

    submitted by /u/Brilliaci
    [link] [comments]

    What happens when you don't have filters on return air vents in the panhandle for years:

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 07:13 PM PDT

    Here's what it looks like

    The people before us lived here for 7 years and I don't think these ever had a filter. I live in the panhandle of texas where dust and dirt is everywhere but I guess they didn't care? The landlord put in a new filter underneath the unit but I guess didn't think about the ones inside the home. Did I mention they put caulk on the bottom of this to the floor so I can't even remove it all the way? I'm buying filters tomorrow because I can't stand knowing more dust and crap will be coming through.

    I'm sending the pictures to my landlord since half the house hardly gets airflow like the other side. If there isn't anything he sees fit to do, what could I do?

    submitted by /u/snow-bunny98
    [link] [comments]

    House with old basement/bomb shelter

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 03:33 PM PDT

    I purchased a house that was built in 1956 in Orange County, CA and one of the early owners built a bomb shelter under the garage, likely during the Cold War period. I asked for city records and there is no permit for this bomb shelter. The house has been sold at least 3 times with the bomb shelter and hasn't been an issue. I'm considering updating the bomb shelter into a basement for the extra living space and wanted to get public opinion of what issues I might encounter. I'm happy to get a permit for future work I'm planning to do, but worried of any surprises that I might encounter. Is there a statute of limitations that might apply on old historical work? Thank you.

    submitted by /u/chekmatex4
    [link] [comments]

    Hardie siding going up, noticing some big red flags with installation method. Advice?

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 06:51 PM PDT

    Husband and I just bought our first house and first big project is to replace original particleboard with Hardie board siding. The siding is up on the three sides but they haven't started painting yet. We started looking closer at the flashing details per Hardie's installation instructions and we're seeing a lot of things that looked nice originally, but are definitely not done per the approved method. (We're architects so we know what we're seeing, if not a little embarrassed for not noticing earlier.) We also took a ton of documentation photos since we're working from home. Warranty from the contractor stated one-year on craftsmanship, and then the manufacturer's product warranty. We're pretty sure an unorthodox installation nulls the manufacturers' warranty. Have sent some photos and concerns to the contractor but haven't heard back yet and are getting nervous. We have paid half upfront and intend to withhold the rest until work is done to satisfaction. We can't optimistically see a solution that doesn't involve taking off all the siding and starting over down to the tyvek wrap. I think we have enough on our side (photos, Hardie installation protocol, IRC, written documentation on warranty) but obviously we want to avoid legal action if possible. We've had a good enough relationship so far. Or at least with my husband, I tend to get "man-splained" to...

    Anyone been in this pickle and have advice?

    TLDR; About to ask contractor to redo $10k materials + extra labor because of poor flashing details.

    submitted by /u/wheekwheekmeow
    [link] [comments]

    Best bang for your buck when improving insulation in 1940's home? [Upper Midwest]

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 02:40 PM PDT

    House Description:

    - Location (Upper Midwest, cold AF in winter)

    - Built: 1940's, 1.5 story stucco w/ basement

    - Sq. ft.: 2700

    - HVAC: Boiler heat, window unit AC

    Home Inspection Energy Improvement Recommendations:

    1. Upgrade boiler. It's old, won't say how old but it's old. Thing is if my insulation is shit then upgrading my boiler to improve it's efficiency will only make it more efficient at pumping heat out of the house.
    2. Improve attic/upstairs insulation.
    3. Rim joist insulation. This is currently my number 1.

    Since winter is coming up I am looking to see what improvements I can make to my home in the hopes of reducing my heating bill somewhat. I know there are other improvements I can make besides insulation to improve the energy efficiency of my home but juggling cost/impact, available funds, and planned future improvements, insulation is the best route for me.

    The interior is stucco and the exterior wall insulation isn't the greatest but I don't plan on remodeling the main floor anytime soon and according to the inspection report I received the cost/benefit of improving exterior wall insulation just isn't there unless doing a remodel. The second floor and attic are on the same level (1.5 story) and could be improved but I am building better attic doors that will actually seal. I also have some major renovations planned for the second floor and I don't see a point in spending money on insulation there if I'm working to seal the attic doors and plan to gut the place in the future. Time will tell here...

    My current plan is to hire someone to insulate all the rim joists with spray foam in the hopes of reducing the chimney effect in the house. Considering the missing rim joist insulation and half-assed batting, rather poor (though will be improved with sealing the attic doors) insulation in the upper floor, I think this will be a significant improvement in the home. I'm a relatively new homeowner but have a good grasp on where I should focus my efforts thanks to a home energy inspection I had done.

    I'm looking for advice on where I should focus my efforts, whether rim joists are the way to go, or any other ideas in line with improving insulation in an older home.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Stepbro_Wat_R_U_Doin
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any alternatives to portable ACs, window ACs, and mini splits when wanting to cool down a single room?

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 03:20 PM PDT

    My wife and I like our room cooler than the rest of the house. We just bought a new house and are trying to decide how we want to cool the master bedroom. We currently have a window unit, but my wife finds it ugly. She also doesn't like portable AC units or mini splits, for the same reason.

    I'm at a loss here besides a fan. Which we already use. Every thing I've looked up so far has lead me to these three options. But is there anything else I'm overlooking?

    submitted by /u/devperez
    [link] [comments]

    How to pick the best roofing contractor

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 09:44 PM PDT

    I'm buying a new roof. Getting multiple offers. What should I know to ask about? How do I tell a good contractor from a bad one?

    submitted by /u/gordonta
    [link] [comments]

    How can I get this rusted kitchen facuet locknut out?

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 08:01 PM PDT

    Rental property kitchen faucet has been doing a slow leak for months. Not only has it rotted portion of the laminate countertop, it has also rusted the lock nut into place.

    https://imgur.com/a/Tk9WEXX

    photo of the sink

    https://imgur.com/a/5U5qLjL

    Planning to screw a long piece of 1x3 underneath the rotted portion, cut here holes and hopefully that will be enough strength to secure the new facuet. However, for the life of me I could not get the old rusted lock nut off.

    Anyone has any recommendations? I can't fit a wrench in there, and tongue and groove pilers could not apply enough force. The space is only about 3 inches.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/StarchCraft
    [link] [comments]

    How would you update this kitchen? (Affordable)

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 05:16 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/BoOM6jJ

    We are redoing the floors, but what would you do aside from completely replacing the cabinets?

    submitted by /u/pooch_n_hats
    [link] [comments]

    Water seeping out from under downstairs toilet?

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 09:05 PM PDT

    Hi r/homeimprovement!

    I've been dealing with this problem for a while now, with little success. Whenever we run too much water at once, it backs up the main sewer line and seeps out into the downstairs bathroom. Obviously, I need to replace the wax ring in the toilet, but I feel like that's a bandaid on a bigger problem.

    I put some sewer line cleaner down there and that cleared it for a little while, but now it's worse than ever. I rented a roto-router and tried to clear the main sewer line. I definitely hit up against something, but I couldn't get it to clear. When I pulled the cable out, I found the tip had come off--possibly why I didn't make much progress.

    Now it seems to be worse than ever. You can't take a five-minute shower. My other half thinks we should get the septic tank pumped (it's been at least eight years), but I'm not so sure that's the problem.

    I'm ready to call a professional. Does anyone have any words of wisdom?

    submitted by /u/agnostickazoo
    [link] [comments]

    Raise block foundation by 1 CMU?

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 08:59 PM PDT

    I have a garage that has a cinderblocks foundation. Only one block high is above grade. The sill plate has rot and termite damage in many places, so I need to replace it.

    I'm interested in essentially keeping the building at the same height, but increasing the masonry height, and cutting out some of the wood.

    So I'd stack one more CMU higher, fill the holes in the block with cement and rebar, and attach the sill plate at that higher level. The cut studs would then be secured to this higher sill plate, and just be shorter.

    The strength would come from the CMU block being only one more layer high (two layers total above grade), and being filled with concrete in both levels.

    Is this sensible?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Reddreader2017
    [link] [comments]

    Paver Patio

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 08:37 PM PDT

    I'm trying to do DIY since I have plenty of time during this time. I need your advice and suggestion. How many inches should I dig? 8" inches deep, dump 4" gravel and then 1" leveling sands? I have a concrete area (4" thick concrete) that I would not break it and basically I would connect it with pavers. For the water flow to the opposite side of the house, how do I do it?

    I'm thinking this the paver that I would lay on my patio

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oldcastle-8-in-x-4-in-x-1-25-in-Harvest-Blend-Concrete-Holland-Overlay-Paver-10150453/203649889

    Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/rquashie
    [link] [comments]

    Peeled paint on MDF door

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 08:03 PM PDT

    I've got a door that I removed some things that were really well glued down. The paint peeled off in most spots down to the bare MDF. I've already tried to cut away some of the ragged peeling edges and sanded it down a bit to give clean edges but if I paint over this, it's going to leave an obvious raised edge. What's the solution here? I was thinking about doing a very thin coat of epoxy wood filler and then sanding it down. However, some spots are around 6in in diameter so this might be pretty time consuming and I'm not sure if I could thin it down evenly. Is there something else I could paint this with to quickly even out the peeled spots?

    submitted by /u/filthy_harold
    [link] [comments]

    How can I get rid off bath tube sealing pinkish colour?

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 06:08 PM PDT

    Easier Way to Remove Trim that is NOT on top of tile? Bottom nails are almost parallel to the tile

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 04:42 PM PDT

    I used a multi tool to cut out the top screws and since it's basically old pine trim I had to cut through some of the board with multi tool as well. It's incredibly time consuming - is there an easier way? My biggest problem is the bottom nails being almost on level with the tile and the trim is sunk into the subfloor. Any ideas would be definitely welcomed.

    Photo - https://ibb.co/f0zqVbQ

    submitted by /u/bonzai76
    [link] [comments]

    Make crawlspace a littler deeper

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 07:23 PM PDT

    Has anybody here ever dug out their crawlspace a little deeper? I'm wanting to make mine a little deeper before I lay a moisture barrier down. I want plenty of future access to work on stuff before I do all the work encapsulating it.

    When I googled the situation all I find is about digging one out to have a basement. Which I don't plan on doing.

    submitted by /u/Bballwolf
    [link] [comments]

    Is this water damage?

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 03:15 PM PDT

    These diffuse, squishy bumps appeared on my kitchen ceiling seemingly overnight. Kitchen is below a bathroom with shower. All images I've found online of water damage ballooning paint is one or two big bubbles, not dozens of small ones like this: https://imgur.com/a/uqcbU6c

    Is this water damage? Next step: call plumber? TIA!

    submitted by /u/sassyla
    [link] [comments]

    How can I make something pretty out of a window with a hideous view?

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 08:34 PM PDT

    My mom and I were talking about covering it with trellis and adding led's to the plant to go with my lighting in my room, but trellis takes too long to grow. Does anyone know what else I could do make something nice and glow-y out of a window?

    submitted by /u/KookyInvestigator2
    [link] [comments]

    Can’t figure out this ceiling fan mount.

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 03:33 PM PDT

    Hello all,

    So my old bedroom fan started wobbling real bad and I decided it was time to take a look. I pull it down and am met with this

    One side feels firm while the other is loose but I can see how it's attached or how to get it out.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Gibder59
    [link] [comments]

    Roofing salesman claims my roof suffered "wind damage" in the last storm, and qualifies for insurance-paid replacement. How do I not get screwed?

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 04:06 PM PDT

    Title says it. He's claiming I qualify for a new roof and talking about how wonderful his roofing company is. He's "really good friends with the insurance adjustor for my bank", and can totally get me a new roof. What do I need to know about roofs here to not be caught off guard? If I truly do qualify for a new roof via insurance, how do I determine his company is worth while? What questions do I need to ask?

    Fwiw his company does have 5 stars on Google

    submitted by /u/gordonta
    [link] [comments]

    How to fix my ceiling?

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 05:37 PM PDT

    Hello! This is my first post.

    I recently bought a brownstone in Brooklyn (built in 1899). The first thing we did was put a new roof on but I'm dealing with the fall out from some old leaks. I watched some videos about fixing bubbles and stains, but once I started the initial step of peeling off the damaged layer, I realized that there's wood underneath.

    Does this change the process? How do I patch this well? I'm very new to DIY but love to be handy, so no amount of detail is too small!

    https://imgur.com/a/FfG1Xrn

    submitted by /u/houseofbanjo
    [link] [comments]

    Tool to cut silicone seal between window and frame?

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 05:21 PM PDT

    Hi all! I have a fixed window I need to replace due to fogging. (Got a new pane under warranty) I have already taken out the plastic strips on each edge of the old window, and pried out some plastic shims that were on all the edges, all I need now is to remove the exterior silicone seal. Supposedly there is a rotary tool with a thin cutting disk that makes the job a breeze. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/Zentuckyfriedchicken
    [link] [comments]

    How do I remove an old microwave?

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 07:21 PM PDT

    I have an old above-range microwave that needs to come out. It's like, wood veneer old. I expected to find a couple bolts inside the cabinet above the microwave to hold it up, but there's nothing. Just the power cord. Looked inside the cabinets on the left and right of the microwave - nothing. I'm expecting a bracket mounted to the wall behind the microwave, but how is this thing held up? More importantly, how do I remove it?

    submitted by /u/Scr4ntonStr4ngler
    [link] [comments]

    DIY Attic Apartment Makeover - Bedroom and Bathroom

    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 10:30 AM PDT

    I purchased my home in June 2017. Most of my time for the past two years has been spent remodeling the horrific 1980's kitchen. Other than hiring a company to install spray foam insulation and nailing the extremely low window shut, I never gave the attic apartment much thought.

    This June I gained a 16 year old step-daughter. 4 months prior to the wedding I started a complete DIY remodel of the attic apartment. I did everything by hand except: hang the ceiling drywall & switching out toilets. My now Husband assisted with both as I weigh 105lbs and have one leg. Me + ladders + heavy things = disaster. Roughly 180 hours worth of work spread out over 6 months.

    This is my gift to Audrey.

    https://imgur.com/a/MJ8aBaL

    submitted by /u/Subtlelikeatrex
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment