• Breaking News

    Friday, July 3, 2020

    Home security: Refused to open door to ADT salesman

    Home security: Refused to open door to ADT salesman


    Refused to open door to ADT salesman

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 10:39 AM PDT

    I've been a fan of this subreddit because I had the hardest time looking for a good security system for the house I had just bought. While I was still moving in, an ADT salesman knocked on my door. Hearing all the horrible experiences people have had with ADT I didn't even bother opening the door to hear his sales pitch. So thank you all. On the other hand, my Reolink Cameras are coming in tomorrow.

    submitted by /u/BigDragoon
    [link] [comments]

    ADT - Cancellation Hell

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 12:05 AM PDT

    First you call in, the person on the line offers you a slight discount to stay. You say no thank you, they make you email their CS cancellation department, then you have to reply to another person that writes you an email begging you to stay.

    This is the offer I got through email :

    1. I can offer a temporary rate for the next 6 months in the amount of $10.99 to assist you up to 2021 no contract required in case your situation changes.
    2. After the 6 months expire I can offer to reduce your rate to $20.95 keeping all your existing services no contract required.
    3. If you aren't using all your existing services either your warranty I can reduce your rate to $15.95. You will have the ability to add the warranty back at a later date with or without a new agreement.

    Never met a company that made it this difficult to cancel. I already declined everything hoping the account finally close, fingers cross.

    submitted by /u/cough_landing_on_you
    [link] [comments]

    Wired home security system on a budget.

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 11:55 PM PDT

    Does anyone have recommendations for a good wired home security system? I don't want it to be wireless.

    I'm looking for a 3 - 4 camera setup with emphasis on being able to see in the dark be it night vision, infrared or what have you.

    submitted by /u/theRealDavidDavis
    [link] [comments]

    Got a stalker need help with surveillance.

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 04:01 PM PDT

    First of to make things clear the cops will not do anything, i have tried that route before, so no need recommend that. i am on my own until its to late.

    i want to set up cctv on my property to film everything, i will add ALPR with alarm on certen plates.
    but my stalker would probably use a bike form time to time.
    so i am in need of a face recognition system to. the ALPR will probably run on an rpi, but when i started to think a bit, if i add say 5 the cost would probably quite high due to i dont think the rpi can run face recognition on 5 cameras real time. so im thinking about lets take all video feed in sent it to a computer with better hardware(cpu and gpu).

    how would that best be done?
    what cameras preferably ip cameras would you use? temp range (-22 to 95 faren).
    do a face recognition program exist for this and preferably one with motion detection?

    we have cats, deer, rabbit, fox and hedgehog walking on my property daily so face recognition or the ability to recognition a human is a must.

    submitted by /u/kebabmoppepojken
    [link] [comments]

    University of Washington research study about cameras in the home

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 04:11 PM PDT

    Hi! I'm a PhD student and design researcher from the University of Washington, and I'm studying peoples' perceptions of cameras in the home through six weekly activities with cameras amongst your housemates. As people interested in smart home camera security, I think your insight is super valuable, and hope this study would also be an interesting experience for you.

    These activities are meant to be interesting, thought-provoking, and sometimes playful. All can be done with just your phone camera, no special equipment required - however, you may elect to use your smart home camera for some activities.

    Overall, participation in this study involves (1) completing 20-30 minute activities with cameras with your housemates each week for six weeks and (2) enrolling in a private online group and sharing your weekly activities with researchers and other participants in the study.

    To be eligible, all your housemates over the age of 18 will need to consent to participating in the study. For your participation in this study, we will give your household $20 per completion of each weekly activity, and you will also be compensated $20 at the end of the exit interview.

    If this is something that you'd be interested in, please fill out this Study Interest form for more information about the study: https://forms.gle/dJmWNXhQZf8341jBA

    submitted by /u/neillytan
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on locking a side gate?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 03:46 PM PDT

    Just moved in to a new house (renting) and I'm having trouble finding a good way to lock the side gate that leads to our back yard.

    pictures

    What's the best way to lock this?

    submitted by /u/sol687
    [link] [comments]

    Indoor Camera with Shoddy WiFi?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 02:41 PM PDT

    Hey all!

    Looking to get an indoor motion detecting camera, but also have WiFi that is less-than-reliable and have read articles that if the WiFi cuts out (or if you have someone trying to break into your apartment with any computer knowledge that can deauth your cameras or disconnect your WiFi), most of these cameras become paperweights.

    What are the best alternatives here? Obviously there are the pricey 4G cameras but are there any cameras that record locally onto an SD card if WiFi cuts out or any that send alerts (eg an alert is pending but does not send unless the WiFi cuts out?)

    Alternatively, if you get a camera that saves locally, I'm assuming someone who breaks in could easily just take your camera, the SD card, or override footage?

    Interested to hear peoples thoughts!

    submitted by /u/PlaneHispitale
    [link] [comments]

    Moved to new home, can i change this alarm keypad?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 03:57 AM PDT

    I moved to a new home that was built in the the mid 2000s. The previous owners had a local security company install a security system, and i've picked up where they left off with the monitoring. I like supporting local companies, but they told me they don't do any 'smart' systems.

    Here is my current keypad: https://imgur.com/a/phCU72k

    All i really want is something that looks more updated, is easier to use, and that i can control remotely. For example, to bypass a zone on this system it takes about 50 button presses. I also cannot change which zones are on a delay vs which are on instant trigger myself; i have to call the company and they need to come out and do it. I can't arm it while away from home if i forget, etc.

    Previously I had SimpliSafe in a small apartment and it was leaps and bounds easier to use than this system.

    Do i have any real options here? My neighbors said I could go with someone like ADT instead but i'm not sure i want to do that. I really do like supporting local companies!

    Would I be able to swap this keypad for a different Bosch unit?

    submitted by /u/MBHockey
    [link] [comments]

    My iPhone video was blurred by a device the target was holding-what device did he have?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 09:23 AM PDT

    A sketchy character was in our building inner courtyard and when I videotaped him and said "Please be more quiet at 11:30pm" he turned his hand so what appeared to be a bright cellphone screen was captured by the video, at which point the video went extremely blurry. No way of identifying him or another character with him for the next 30-60 seconds. When the one with the device entered a door directly underneath my window a few floors up, the video focus was perfect again. How did he do this? Jamming devices are for stopping the signal to cell tower & back, so it is NOT that issue.

    submitted by /u/MikeLaw1962
    [link] [comments]

    Someone tried to open my apartment door. Camera help please

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 08:04 AM PDT

    So night before last someone tried to open my apartment door around midnight. It was locked and they must have moved pretty quickly down the hall because when I go to the peep hole I couldn't see them. I didn't open the door to see them. Honestly I probably would have just assumed it was kids or something, except the next day I came out and my wreath had been removed from its hook and placed, rather carefully, against the wall on the floor. Which seems... suspicious. Some kind of sign to others? Or they removed it for better access to my peephole?? Either way it freaked me out.

    Now I'm thinking I'd like to get a camera so I can see more than just the small area the peephole covers.

    I need something that can be easily installed/removed because I'm just renting. Inconspicuous would be nice so it's not a target for theft, though of course I realize that's just a risk I have to accept.

    I'm looking at a Blink XT2 or a Ring Video Doorbell.

    The Blink has worse reviews, but I've heard disturbing things about Ring's privacy risks. Maybe I just have to deal with some privacy loss.

    Does anyone have any ideas on this situation? I want to be able to see when someone is approaching my door, especially if they're turning handles or something. I do live on a busy floor, so I am also concerned about it just recording all day long... help!

    submitted by /u/FivebyFive
    [link] [comments]

    Sensors for windows (cat proof?!)

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 03:27 AM PDT

    Hi!

    I'm moving to a rural area with very little access to internet. So something connected via wireless internet would not be reliable for me.

    Is there some kind of sensor I could purchase that would alarm if a screen in a window was cut Or removed? I'm concerned about windows open all night and someone being able to slip into my home unnoticed.

    However I have cats that would be impossible to keep out of the windows and a false alarm on a regular basis may cause my elderly mother to have a heart attack and she's very fearful of open windows on the main level (where her room will be due to limited mobility with stairs).

    Any ideas would be so helpful!!

    submitted by /u/mex1988
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment