• Breaking News

    Friday, July 3, 2020

    Home security: Securing apartment when NOT home?

    Home security: Securing apartment when NOT home?


    Securing apartment when NOT home?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 02:55 PM PDT

    Hey everyone!

    So let's say you have guns and dogs, and feel relatively safe in your apartment (eg you have your deadbolt, door is locked, etc).

    What is the best way to secure your apartment when you are not home? I leave the apartment when traveling for work, and can't imagine it is too difficult to get through the regular door lock. Even an indoor camera could be taken offline fairly easily / WiFi could be cut (my router was recently hacked so I'm particularly sensitive to this), or the microSD card could be removed / footage could be deleted. Heck, even a 4G camera could be jammed.

    Wondering if there is a reliable way to secure the apartment when I'm not home, ideally to know if someone has entered or to prevent common-sense home defense countermeasures from happening. Something like a Bluetooth controlled door bar, an indoor camera with a password protected SD card, or some other way to secure the place in my absence from anybody slightly familiar with traditional home defense precautions.

    Thank you! Appreciate the ideas and help here!

    submitted by /u/PlaneHispitale
    [link] [comments]

    I have been attempted breaking in twice.

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 05:10 PM PDT

    I have camera's and a gun. The first time my dog scared him off. The second time my ring device scared him. Now I am wondering what I can do to defend my family and home. I fear a 3rd attempt..any advice?

    submitted by /u/RavenLovesChai
    [link] [comments]

    Recommend a set of 2 cameras motion-activated for front and back doors

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 05:24 PM PDT

    Hi Homedefense,

    Occasionally I come home and notice that the bolted screen porch door has been pushed from the outside (like someone tried to get in) or that the latched garden gate has been left open (not by me and no animal can do it with this latch). I have a funky feeling that someone is scoping out the house, maybe planning something stupid!

    I was getting lost in all the thousands of products and reviews of simple cameras. Please recommend a set of 2 cameras. I need one for the front door and one for the back door. I am able to shop on Amazon within reasonable price range (between $60 and $150 US dollars). It doesn't need to be fancy, just motion-powered to capture a video or picture of whoever is messing with the doors. Sending an alert with a text or phone app is a bonus.

    Thanks so much!

    submitted by /u/earthmedicinewoman
    [link] [comments]

    Just caught someone stealing from my back yard I have proof to file a police report, but I need some opinions

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 07:09 PM PDT

    So in my neighbor, 4 houses up, there is a person who likes to go in and out of jail constantly and has threaten to kill their own mother publicly. The whole house has their issues but the man keeps going in to jail for stealing. In our backyard we have a shed of non valuable things that contain my father's construction tools. Today he went into the back yard two times during the day, once while my family was there and another when we went out. He took a Welder flame torch, which isn't that valuable, but the idea that someone goes in to your own home is unsettling. Before entering he stood in front of the door walked around to make sure it was clear and went in. We're not sure if he is gang affiliated, and would like to file a police report but we just fear if he will strike again ,hold it against us, or maybe do something worse. 3 hours after the incident, we drove by his home in the car and he was dead staring at us and it made us feel uncomfortable. We are a family of five, my mother most stays at home with my teenage brother and sister while my father works. We don't own any defense, but I just ask is there anything you guys recommend to shake him off, or would you guys go file the police report?

    submitted by /u/Nielaa
    [link] [comments]

    I don't understand why my Nightowl camera won't work with a regular DVR?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 04:06 PM PDT

    I don't understand why my Nightowl camera won't work with a regular DVR?

    Hi , I have a No Brand DVR ( possibly dahua) with 24 BNC connections and the ability to add 4 IP Cameras with a poe switch. I have had the DVR for about 2 years ( Camera guy installed it after old one died) and took over a home with many older BNC camera setup. At work, I have a NightOwl 5.0 L2 camera system as pictured below. At work, I had 2 spares out of the 8 Camera that came with the box. I wanted to upgrade a very old working camera in my house. I brought it home and plugged in the power and connected the BNC. The infrared lights power on but there is no video. Its like the DVR doesn't detect. Most of my cameras are old and barely hit 720p but 1 camera is 1080p and it works perfectly. What could I be missing? are these designed only to work with Nightowl DVRS?

    Edit - Question - Do you think maybe the nightowl has a different need for power? It works with the Night owl DVR which gives it power.. my panel may not give it enough juice to fully powerup even though the infrared lights come on?

    https://preview.redd.it/7wh7s3qk3q851.png?width=300&format=png&auto=webp&s=0134ac49928fb439da87ca356bb699a160ba6e9b

    submitted by /u/djknashouston
    [link] [comments]

    Camera(s) for small room

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 09:26 AM PDT

    I am remodeling my basement, and have a 9x13 secure room which I would like to have monitored, and record in the event of a burglary . I'll be doing exterior cameras as well, but for now I wanted to make sure I have ethernet cable available in the right places before this room is finished, since it will be difficult to add any wires in the ceiling later.

    What would be my best option for a small room like this? I would really prefer to only have one camera, but I can do two if necessary. There is one door, centered on the 9' wall. The ceiling is just under 8'. Would a wide angle dome camera be my best option?

    submitted by /u/j0tun
    [link] [comments]

    General advice of his subreddit

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 07:58 PM PDT

    Honestly, the following advice is all I see on this sub:

    1. Dog and gun.
    2. Wired PoE cameras, and wire the house yourself even if you live in a large 20 floor house. Never get wireless. You'll get broken into and killed if you use wireless cameras.
    3. Dog and gun
    submitted by /u/ComprehensivePark337
    [link] [comments]

    Swann camera(s) stopped working, any idea what to do?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 09:15 PM PDT

    So bought a Swann security system a few years ago. Six cams total. Well two days four cams stopped working at the same exact time. I've tried repowering up the DVR, tried resetting the unit to default. no luck. I went outside since two of the cams are next to each other and I unplugged both and plugged cords from the working one into the non-working one. It works.

    So obviously the cameras aren't the issue. Do you think its as a cord issue or something else? I do know a few days prior we had some power thunderstorms and close strikers.

    EDIT-- Turns out when I mess with cams/power at the unit itself, I can get any camera to work as long as I unplug three of the cams. If I power a fourth one, then only two cames work. Maybe the AC adapter power cord is shot?

    submitted by /u/zfreakazoidz
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for best wired or wireless camera to look out of apartment window into parking lot.

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 08:57 PM PDT

    Hello all, I live in the 3rd floor (top) of an apartment building and recently got a new vehicle that I kind of want to keep an eye out on when its parked in the lot. The window in my living has a nice view into the lot where I normally park my car. I was wondering the best choice for a camera that can either sit behind the glass or in front of it (with only the window screen in front of the lens cause I don't want bugs with the window open) to kind of keep an eye on the car. Budget isn't really a concern unless its over a grand.

    Edit- Out of all the tenants I've met or seen there hasn't been any animosity between anyone or any incidents in the parking lot or on the floors. Have never seen police here or anything like that (I'm Federal LEO and do the pleasantries hello, goodbye but most of them know what I do and I just kind of stay out of keep a low profile). The building we're in has I think 20ish units total. I just want a little peace of mind.

    submitted by /u/OHHHNOOO3
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment