• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 2, 2020

    Home Improvement: Why do homes in USA usually have slanted/pointed roofs?

    Home Improvement: Why do homes in USA usually have slanted/pointed roofs?


    Why do homes in USA usually have slanted/pointed roofs?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 06:45 AM PDT

    In the Middle East homes only have flat roofs so that families can make use of it as a rooftop and an extra floor to the home. Pointed roofs seem like a waste of good space..or is there a benefit?

    submitted by /u/petitbeurre11
    [link] [comments]

    Have this “maybe” house considering making an offer on that’s like a 60 year time capsule. What would you change first and would would you preserve?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 03:37 PM PDT

    This house was built in 1955, last sold in 1967 and updated probably never. Strongly considering making an offer depending on how much is needed with electric, plumbing, insulation stuff (and if I can keep my husband from running far, far, away)

    If this was your project what would you tackle first and what would you keep the same?

    Couple pictures of the main rooms here

    submitted by /u/FannyPackPhantom
    [link] [comments]

    Lurking

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 07:23 PM PDT

    I've been lurking here for years. I love the tips and tricks. I want a home so bad!

    My fiancé and I put an offer out today for our first home. I'm so excited! I hope we make it to closing. I think I will literally cry when handed the keys to my very own home.

    Wish me luck! Got any tips for the first year in your own home?

    submitted by /u/ndividualistic
    [link] [comments]

    How to secure/block an internal manhole?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 03:30 AM PDT

    First time poster so forgive any errors in the post!

    My house is a 1960s semi in the UK and have discovered an internal manhole under the doormat. It was discovered when I stepped onto it just a few days after getting the keys, which gave way and I fell into it, dislocating my shoulder! Not the welcome party I expected!

    The ledge the cover was sat on was loose so my partner remade some really thick ones, with big screws and it seems to be secure. But the thing gives me severe PTSD and I won't even walk on it, I'll step over it when coming in the house. This is the hole: https://imgur.com/gallery/RI1ZQbx

    I would like to get it fully secured, if not, sealed properly so that absolutely no accidents occur again. I have a disabled sister and young nephews and nieces and the idea of the same happening to them fills me with terror. It's such a stupid place to put it in the first place but anyway.

    I've been looking at industrial internal manhole covers that carry up to 5 tonnes but my partner says it will only hold up what the floor around it supports. Just wondering if anybody has had the same issues or has been able to secure theirs/similar? With it being a heavy traffic point I just want the house to be safe and not to feel so terrified having it there!

    Thanks so much in advance!

    Edit: you guys comments have me in stitches! Definitely not the ones referring to monsters under my house, not about that life. I mentioned some suitcases under there so will have to definitely brave a venture in there to see what b̶o̶d̶i̶e̶s̶ things are down there.

    submitted by /u/pingusaysnoot
    [link] [comments]

    Planning to upgrade my kitchen. Should I paint the cabinets white or go for a darker color? I plan to change the countertops (open to suggestions) and switch to stainless steel appliances.

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 05:59 PM PDT

    Home builder said that I should try and keep my new home in Texas a consistent 72 to 74 for the 1st year to prevent "baking the moisture out of the walls". Is this actually a thing?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 07:48 AM PDT

    Basically the title. My old man scoffed when I mentioned it, but I have listened to the advice and have not seen any house settling cracks yet appear in the drywall (it has been 6 months). Is the home builder pulling my leg and in bed with the electric company. On a side note my electric bill was less than 90 bucks last month so it is not killing my pocket to keep the temp at the levels recommended.

    submitted by /u/alpha402
    [link] [comments]

    Wallpaper in powder room

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 03:24 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/yKLaH0H

    I think I'm sprung on wallpaper now. Took a lot longer than I was expecting.

    submitted by /u/baconisprime
    [link] [comments]

    Adding a dishwasher

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 04:16 PM PDT

    Hello all. I wanted feedback on adding a dishwasher. My plan was to split the inlet of where the washing machine is and plumb it into the dish washer. This seems fine to me no problem. (Please correct me if I am wrong) I am tempted to split the outlet hose. This outlet hose goes all the way back under the sink. Dishwasher is about 2 meters away from sink on the left facing sink. It has one extension pipe on it. If I split it at the connection of the extension and plumb the outlet of the dishwasher in, would this cause problems? I was thinking dishwasher could backfill into washing machine or vise versa depending on which one is on. Do I need one way check valves? Opinions?

    submitted by /u/b3258020
    [link] [comments]

    Staining my deck—how to get between boards??

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 08:39 PM PDT

    Deck staining — how to get between boards?

    Help! I'm using a deck pad to stain my deck but having a hell of a time getting between the boards. Currently using a brush, and it sucks. Tackling the job solo so could use tips!

    submitted by /u/meowmeow289
    [link] [comments]

    Tapping under floors, driving me nuts thinking the place is haunted

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 10:04 PM PDT

    So I moved into this rental in October. It's a home converted into three apartments and I live on the second floor. The house is pretty old, too old to even instal central air and the windows were obviously put in before building codes considering how low the frames are (they start at the middle of my shin, love the big windows though). Since the day I moved in there has been this tapping under the floorboards but only at night. I use to think it was coming from the ceiling but I've isolated it to one spot on the floor. I only start noticing it around 11pm and it's usually still going when I go to bed. Originally I thought it was my downstairs neighbors getting it on but the tapping is too rhythmic and goes for far too long (you could keep time to it) although it does falter occasionally. It could be pipes, that was my first thought. It's not animals (although we do have a flock of swallows living in the brick chimney that runs though the center of the living room).
    Just looking for some logical explanation and to see if anyone has encountered this kind of thing before. Thank y'all!

    submitted by /u/shayart
    [link] [comments]

    Should the water under the dishwasher filter still be there after a wash?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 08:07 PM PDT

    I'm having 11 tons of crusher run dropped off onto my driveway this morning. What should I do to prepare for that?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 08:24 AM PDT

    Is laying down tarp necessary?

    Edit: sorry it's not for the driveway itself. it's for my paver patio in my backyard, it can't be dropped off any closer since there is a narrow allow that leads to it.

    submitted by /u/Zappa-
    [link] [comments]

    Concrete/cement sealant to smooth,protect

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 04:54 PM PDT

    I patched some cracks at my house with concrete/cement, and also made some channels for the water to move (over dirt). Similar to sealing a driveway,(i like the rubber coating and crack filling and water repelling)(for example from black jack speed patch, ashphalt patch) , is there a concrete seal like this, the concrete is rigid, enough to grazed your skin as well.

    Is there any product you recommend or like that can perfom like the one mentioned, and that isnt black.

    It already has small cracks.

    submitted by /u/bantochanco
    [link] [comments]

    Any idea if this is termites?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 07:31 PM PDT

    photos

    We just bought this home a few months ago, had a termite inspection and preventative measures taken with some injection into the brick of the house. We've cleaned all the windows and I noticed these wood 'crumbs', and small insects piling up on the window sill. The caulking on the inside of the window doesn't look great but I have no idea what's going on with this. Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Kamata-
    [link] [comments]

    What kind of pipe is this stub out? Not copper! Please help

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 03:32 PM PDT

    Please help - I need to shorten the stub out of the bathtub. Is this galvanized steel or brass? Can it be shortened with a coupling and map torch?

    below - pictures of the issue.......

    https://i.imgur.com/M2f8qrA.jpg

    submitted by /u/MissBreakIt
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions for prepping damaged hardwood floor with valleys and peaks for laminate floor

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 04:42 AM PDT

    Long story short, doing a large renovation and our hard wood isn't worth salvaging. In the interest of time, the plan is to lay a laminate floor over top of the existing damaged hardwood. Long story long in the comments.

    Here is a link to a picture that shows the areas in question, although it's difficult to see it in the picture. That wall in the middle is a load bearing wall although it shouldn't be. It runs parallel to all floor joists and there is no support running perpendicular to any joists. It doesn't make any sense, but the 90 year old house is still standing and unbelievably plumb and square otherwise, except the floor. The doorways on that wall are the peaks and the middle of the room is the valley. Father in law suggested we plane down the peak so it's a smoother transition. A previous suggestion he had was to rip up the planks in the doorway and fill with a self leveling compound.

    I don't need the whole floor to be perfectly level, just smooth enough transitions between the two rooms where the bellies exist so the new floor doesn't buckle. Suggestions?

    Edit: Just getting to replies now, busy day. I see a bunch about the crime of not preserving the hardwoods, generally I agree but we have two weeks until we move in. More details in some comments, but there will be a 1 inch gap between each and every perimeter board and the base moulding because of the removal of the thick plaster and lath and the distance between the deepest valley and highest peak is over an inch in two spots, between two adjoining rooms, with the peak in the middle.

    submitted by /u/poleywog
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations on good vacuums

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 08:52 PM PDT

    Just got my first apartment and I'm currently borrowing my parents vacuum. I'm looking for a good general purpose vacuum that isn't a shop vac. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/DIYEngineeringTx
    [link] [comments]

    Creating a back door?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 04:25 PM PDT

    I am under contract on a new home, and for some reason the first time I visited I didn't notice that there's no easy way into the backyard! It is a bi-level (split foyer), and at the foyer there is a door to the heated garage, and from there a door from the garage into the back yard.

    This seems crazy. But everything else about the house is great, and I have to move, and it's an impossible market.

    The back of the house has two bedrooms on each level (which could be used as offices, etc). I am thinking of using the bigger bedroom on the upper level as a more public space now, and installing patio sliders to a deck.

    Otherwise, I could make the lower level a walkout, but it seems that might be more expensive, since I'd have to go through the (concrete) foundation.

    Estimated cost for either of these? Anything else I'm not considering?

    EDIT: a picture of the back of the house here. All four of those windows are separate bedrooms, although the top floor is currently a master because they took the wall out. I was gonna put it back in at some point for the equity gain.

    submitted by /u/betsbillabong
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to purchase home but bricks and swelling spots are a concern

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 05:55 PM PDT

    I went to look at a house to purchase today and the owner was as obviously saying that the house is in perfect order but I saw some weird bricks on the outside with cracks which concerned me. I also saw that the floor of the second story was swelling the bricks in some spots. Can someone take a look and see if they know if they should be a concern ?

    Link to brick cracks Link to swelling

    submitted by /u/Jojo_the_fisherman
    [link] [comments]

    My lawn is completely overgrown by moss and tree saplings and they always reappear. How can I sole this without any crazy chemical products?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 04:26 AM PDT

    The lawn is on the shore of a small lake, about 40cm above average water level. There is a slope coming down to it which is kind of foresty (and has to stay so).

    What can I do to get a consistent, non mossy lawn to grow?

    submitted by /u/Shockwave2309
    [link] [comments]

    Can I peel and paint this?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 05:35 PM PDT

    It's glued on in some areas and peeling in many others. How can I fix this?

    https://imgur.com/a/PJ3glQv

    submitted by /u/cleogeo
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any recommended touchless motion toilet flush kit and touchless bathroom faucet?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 03:58 PM PDT

    I just recently purchase a place and the toilet need to be replaced. I am really thinking getting a toilet that I can install the touchless sensor but the one I see currently all have either bad review or discontinued.

    Is there any recommend touchless motion toilet flush kit? I would prefer the one use electricity cord instead of battery.

    Same thing with the motion sensor bathroom faucet, is there any that can be plug in through electricity cord instead of using battery?

    submitted by /u/swordsdevil
    [link] [comments]

    New bathroom grout crack

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 01:36 PM PDT

    Hi all, I just paid a lot of money to get my bathroom renovated. But I have a crack in the grout above my sink. I'm worried this could create mould and effect all other tiles.

    Shall I get this fixed or is it nothing to worry about? I got the tile grouped 5 months ago.

    Also the grout has turned black on my silicone where my shower enclosure is. Links attached.

    Pictures attached.

    Thanks you in advance.

    https://ibb.co/pQfM70p https://ibb.co/MPSshNT https://ibb.co/VpbnhRP https://ibb.co/my74YN6 https://ibb.co/GJ5D5YX https://ibb.co/0YbTMGd https://ibb.co/9WBzWbw https://ibb.co/TvHd3jh

    A

    submitted by /u/amirali26
    [link] [comments]

    What's behind the shower tiles here?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 10:16 AM PDT

    I'm looking at houses and found a place that needs some work but funnily had some missing tiles in their shower.

    I would expect cement board behind the tiles but this is a old house in NY and I'm not sure what that is behind it and am I looking at water damage to the walls and floors all around?

    https://m.imgur.com/a/4VA1GPz

    submitted by /u/SQneo
    [link] [comments]

    I have a 12 x 24 x 9h foot (3.6 x 7.3 x 2.7h meter) living room with no ceiling lights. A new ceiling will be installed, so now is the time to wire for lights, but I do not want to commit to a room layout and I dislike recessed/can lights. What would be a versatile light design/layout?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 10:24 PM PDT

    I do plan to supplement overhead lighting with floor lamps, so I don't need many lights installed.

    My decor style is vaguely Scandinavian + American Mid-century Modern.

    submitted by /u/lounes_my_dude
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment