• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 1, 2020

    Home security: looking for a decent security camera system. Camera with night vision, records to local hard drive, and no cloud subscriptions

    Home security: looking for a decent security camera system. Camera with night vision, records to local hard drive, and no cloud subscriptions


    looking for a decent security camera system. Camera with night vision, records to local hard drive, and no cloud subscriptions

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 09:19 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    Requirements I'm looking for:

    1. Camera needs to be 1080p and have night vision.

    I'm happy with this quality:

    2. Needs to record to a hard drive, I don't want any cloud storage or paid subscriptions.

    3. An app for iOS or the ability to access remotely would be nice, but I don't want to pay

    • I have my own web hosting plan so if there are apps you can install OR I'd be fine with accessing it via remotely opening my computer with Logmein or teamviewer from my phone.

    • Notifications on movement would be nice but not a deal breaker.

    Thanks in advance :)

    submitted by /u/wozmatic
    [link] [comments]

    New Home With ADT

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 12:12 PM PDT

    I just bought a house with ADT equipment already installed and I am looking for the best and cheapest option for utilizing it. My questions are:

    1. Is there any recommendations of alternative services that can use the ADT equipment?

    2. Can I monitor the ADT system myself or can they remotely "brick" the equipment?

    submitted by /u/daughtrymom
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any alternatives to a Reolink Argus 2 or Reolink Eco for completely wireless outdoor camera system with sd storage, but with a better motion sensor?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 10:46 PM PDT

    Bought an Argus 2 with a solar panel https://reolink.com/product/argus-2/ and it generally fits all my needs for a simple outdoor wireless camera with a low effort and cost setup, but the PIR is hit and miss and mostly has only about a 12 ft range--kind of a big deal for me. I think there's also a couple second delay as well after it's triggered so I'm only catching tail end of events, another negative.

    On the plus side I really like the idea of it accepting an sd card to avoid cloud storage for privacy and not having to rely on the company's servers to retrieve playback (like the Eufy system) in case the Internet goes down.

    Also like the solar option and the fact that the camera is rated to temps near 130 degrees since I'm in the middle of the desert. Picture quality and night vision are very good, and the app is easy and good features. Video feed can be somewhat choppy but not horrible.

    I've heard the Reolink Eco might have a somewhat better sensor, so I'm considering trying it: https://reolink.com/product/argus-eco/ and I'm willing to try it since the Argus is "almost there" for me and I don't have any real negatives against the company itself.

    Before I make another Reolink purchase I'm just curious if I'm missing something similar anywhere else? I've seen some really nice wireless cams that have mostly similar features I want/like and some better specs, but as far as can tell they all need to to be wired for power, pretty much a dealbreaker for me.

    submitted by /u/Youarethebigbang
    [link] [comments]

    Dahua motion detection issues

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 07:35 AM PDT

    I purchased a Dahua security system and I'm not very happy with the motion detection functionality. In short, bugs keep setting off the MD and I've had to lower sensitivity down to 20 which kind of defeats the purpose.

    Current Setup:

    - 4 Cameras Dahua Starlight 8MP 4K Outdoor PoE IP Security Dome Camera IPC-HDBW2831R-ZAS-S2

    - 1 Dahua NVR with 2tb Western Digital Purple drive

    Is there anything else I can do settings wise? Is there a better Dahua camera I should be using? I've learned that there are some PIR cameras out there that use heat-based thermal sensing. Would these be a good choice? If so, what would be a recommended model?

    submitted by /u/edkoch25
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice on securing property outside

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 12:34 PM PDT

    I couldn't find a better place to ask this but if you know of one, please let me know..

    My girlfriend and I moved into a garden style condo a few months ago (we're on the third floor, no elevator; building door is locked so packages are usually left outside). She had a package stolen almost immediately and several others have been "inspected". A couple of days ago, myself and a few neighbors had our cars broken into (there's a large lot outside that holds about 50 cars; I left my car unlocked for probably the first time in my life). They took some stuff from my car (sunglasses etc.). All told we're out about $400 having lived here for three months, but I've also learned that this neighborhood has a history of this (a few people have told me we're an easy mark because we're so close to a highway?).

    I filed a police report but they took no action and my condo association doesn't seem to care. Besides the obvious (get packages delivered elsewhere, lock your doors) what would others do?

    submitted by /u/o0Loiter0o
    [link] [comments]

    Compatibility check w/ existing system

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 11:07 AM PDT

    So here's the existing wired system we've got but it is completely unused: https://i.imgur.com/wsrRKQE.jpg

    I'd like to do basic monitoring of the front door, back door, and garage door. It looks like those are all wired up to the panel. If I can add in extra niceties like alarms or other sensors wired that'd be great.

    I think Konnected would work if I can pick a hub, we've got a hue system and use a lot of Apple devices. There's one raspberry pi running pihole out here too.

    What do you all think would be the easiest install / lowest cost to get the kind of entry/exit monitoring I'm looking for? Ideally re-using the existing wired components.

    submitted by /u/isthattrulyneeded
    [link] [comments]

    Options with NX-8E RS-232 - upgrade or serial over IP?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 03:59 PM PDT

    I have a pre-installed Caddx based alarm with approx 8 Door fault sensors, 70-something window sensors and concord ATP-1000 Keypads.

    Next to my alarm panel is another panel with terminations for all networking equipment. I've been running a network rack and miniservers to keep the noise and heat down, but i've reach the point where that doesn't work. We are remodeling that areas to accommodate a larger rack with front and rear access (via another room). Moving from miniservers to a proper HA cluster my biggest worry is interfacing my alarm via its rs-232 connection to my home automation VM. Easy solution is a serial over IP solution, but i suspect the alarm won't like this, or at least would like to confirm it will before picking up the hardware.

    Alternatively, I wouldn't be opposed to modernizing my equipment. I don't mind replacing some sensors (indeed I'd like to use pet immune PIRs), but I don't want to replace all door/window. Panel and keypads would be OK, however. Particularly if it allows my alarm to catch up to the rest of the home's systems. Is there a path of least resistance here? I admit I am not an expert in alarm hardware by any stretch though I'm confident I can figure it out with a push in the right direction.

    submitted by /u/sc00tch
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a home camera system

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 12:27 PM PDT

    Up to yesterday I have only heard of Lorex and reading through some posts I noticed that there is another company called Hikvision. So this is all new to me. Are there other companies?

    We are looking for a 4 camera system with a DVR to install in the front/back/side of our house. The cameras should run on Cat 5/6 since this is what we have installed in the walls (I guess it needs to be IP camera?). It also has to bear our harsh winters of -30 c (Montreal). Our budget is about $1000. Can someone recommend a good system?

    submitted by /u/Silvercitymtl
    [link] [comments]

    Night Owl camera signal disconnects at night?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 11:23 AM PDT

    I moved into a house where the previous owner had installed the Night Owl 8 camera dvr system. I have no idea how old the system is. He left the cameras installed but disconnected all the wires from the DVR and left no monitor and no instructions. I finally figured out how to re-connect everything and got it up and running and it works fantastic during the day. But as soon as it gets dark out the whole system loses power to the monitor. It's not just "no signal" from the cameras, it seems there's no power getting from the dvr to the monitor and the monitor screen just goes blue and I can't get Night Owl to appear at all. The iPhone app shows that the device is disconnected when this happens and I lose the camera feed. I can hear the dvr spinning and the indicator lights are so there's power to the dvr but it's not feeding to the monitor. I've been disconnecting the power to the dvr for the night and plug it back in in the daylight and everything comes up fine only to go down again when it gets dark. I've looked up the troubleshooting guide from Night Owl but none of the scenarios cover this issue?

    submitted by /u/StrongbyDefault
    [link] [comments]

    What is the cheapest camera setup you can get that isn't like Wyze

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 10:41 AM PDT

    I'm looking to get something that will notify my phone instantly and also capable to allow me to view a live feed from my phone anytime. Wyze has a pretty big delay and quality isn't the best.

    submitted by /u/Freds_Premium
    [link] [comments]

    Are these screws ok to secure my door hinges/strike plate

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 10:00 AM PDT

    I want to replace the small screws in my door hinges/strike plates with larger 3.5 inch screws.

    I have some 3 1/2" decking screws. These are the exact ones I have: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Deck-Plus-10-x-3-1-2-in-Ceramic-Deck-Screws-1-lb/1000427375

    However I just read they are "ceramic" -- I think that's a coating for weather proofing.
    Will that affect the structural integrity of the screw at all? Should I just go buy different screws or am I overthinking it?

    submitted by /u/notdevnotops
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment