• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 1, 2020

    Home security: Missouri home defense laws

    Home security: Missouri home defense laws


    Missouri home defense laws

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 05:00 PM PDT

    I just purchased a shotgun for turkey hunting and would also like to use it for home defense if ever needed. I read that some states require that if you have a shotgun for home defense it must be loaded for example: bird shot, bird shot, then buck shot. I did some looking into the Missouri requirements for this and couldn't quite find a clear answer. If anyone has any input it would be much appreciated

    submitted by /u/SHO0ES
    [link] [comments]

    Why would you want a camera for your house when it's not monitored so the police can be called?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 03:47 PM PDT

    Renting A Home With Glass French Doors leading to an easily accessed terrace - options?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 02:05 AM PDT

    Renting A Home With Glass French Doors leading to an easily accessed terrace - options?

    Tired of having psycho apartment neighbors and paying out the nose for it. Due to COVID I'm work from home so I figure why not move out of the city a bit and take a proper house instead of some oversize apartment I never leave. Found this house in my price range still close to my work but this here is giving me pause:

    https://preview.redd.it/8h680p0dk7851.jpg?width=1077&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=03f7b85c5b714dd75656fbc4104310d80c65bd64

    Yep, that's a terrace with french doors right next to the main door. Whoever thought of this was fucking insane. Why even have a front door at that point, right? It's above street level, sure, but any idiot could crash through the sliding glass easy. I was prepared to reinforce every door in this place; I can't very easily reinforce THIS shit.

    Is there ANY way to secure this without getting the landlord to agree to me fencing in the entire terrace?

    Thoughts so far:
    - Fake stained glass window peel-and-stick treatments (to deny visibility)
    - Secure bars at the bottom and top of the doors to prevent them from being pulled open
    - Keeping the terrace and stairs leading up to the porch lit from dusk til dawn (maybe motion lights would be better, so there's an anxiety provoked about if you just put the spotlight on yourself to anyone who might be looking outside?)

    None of that does fuck all about the glass which is an easy smash job, even if I get that window lining that lets it take a few more hits.

    I've tried to get creative here, thinking of furniture I could maybe set up against the doors with a floor-mounted reinforcement (like those nightlock-style devices, except instead of holding a standard door shut, it would hold the furniture in place to prevent it from being simply pushed out of the way). Anyone else here have any ideas for how to reinforce this entry point without the landlord signing off on fencing in the terrace permanently? I've got pepper spray and a big dog, but I'd much rather have a way to seal this more securely so that I have more time to call for help if there's an attempt made on the place.

    submitted by /u/GalePale
    [link] [comments]

    whats the best wifi hidden camera for remote access?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 06:19 AM PDT

    I need to place a hidden camera in my off-site storage unit. The admin to the unit delivers packages to my unit which requires them to open and enter the unit. I would like to place a wifi camera that will trigger once motion is detected - this will send me an alert to my cell and also trigger a recording until the motion has ceased. This will allow me to know I have mail and to ensure nothing funny happens in my unit.

    The storage unit has wifi but I do not have a power source. My plan was to use a power bank and swap it out with a charge one each week I visit to pick my packages up. So I will need a camera that will only activate with a motion so as to not drain the battery quickly. Also do not want to create a fire hazard so I'm hesitant to buy a cheap one on amazon.

    Also, I will not be on the same wifi network as the camera but I still need it to send me alerts when motion is detected.

    So far I found these ones on Amazon:

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0821S2YVW/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A2FNNWWU352INA&psc=1

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PQFJ9L5?pf_rd_r=7SBB5T9ZW5PVR21TAT92&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee

    Thanks in advance for any help

    submitted by /u/MrRed504
    [link] [comments]

    Replace broken TVI system?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 05:36 PM PDT

    my TVI system box started beeping, flashing yellow/orange under LINK, and the output stopped displaying anything via HDMI/COAX.

    the house came with a DigitalNet DN-608TVI and it lasted three years.

    what kind of replacement would you suggest?

    i do not plan on connecting it to the network, and please provide amazon.ca links. also, rewiring it to POE is too labour intensive.

    thanks!

    submitted by /u/bp_jkm79
    [link] [comments]

    Buying cameras from sites like Aliexpress or Wish

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 04:22 PM PDT

    I'm on a very very very tight budget and would like to buy a PoE system. Some of the options I can afford have terrible reviews when it comes to durability and clarity.

    However, I saw some cheap cameras from Hikvision and other good brands on Wish and Aliexpress? Should I jump the gun or are these too good to be true?

    submitted by /u/Comprehensive-Car-23
    [link] [comments]

    Security doors for interior doors?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 02:00 AM PDT

    Does anyone have experience with having metal security doors INSIDE the home? I have them for my exterior doors. I just finished reinforcing my interior doors the same way I harden my exterior doors. But for added security, has anyone tried installing metal security doors inside the home? I am thinking of putting one on my master bedroom door where I sleep. This could serve as a safe room too.

    submitted by /u/SnooOpinions3134
    [link] [comments]

    Very quick question....

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 02:05 PM PDT

    I have several newer laptops & desktops sitting around my house. Am I correct to assume I can purchase JUST the Reolink cameras (for example) and just run Blue Iris on a spare computer so I do not have to waste money on the Reolink NVR?

    Are there any limitations of going with Blue Iris over NVR I would want to know about up front? I MUST use wireless cameras, kind of stinks but where I live it's just the route I need to take.

    submitted by /u/SouthBostonJoe
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to mount a Kasa cam to a window

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 09:47 AM PDT

    I have two kasa cams- one I use foe my front window (which faces my front porch) to screen for Amazon packages. The other one faces out through our front window, but our bushes are obstructing it. I think I want to mount the camera (which has a small) base to the window... I thought about a clear suction cup self, but I haven't found one that is small enough.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Mighty-Lu-Bu
    [link] [comments]

    Home protection ideas besides gun

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 05:59 AM PDT

    When I was 19 (35 now) I was admitted to a mental hospital for 8 days due to depression issues. Since it was invulntary it automatically bans me from owning a gun. Are there any other weapons I could use for home protection?

    Thanks

    Sate- New Jersey


    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations for a IP camera-based security system

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 05:40 AM PDT

    Hi Redditors of r/homedefense,

    I'm finishing renovating my network cabinet, and now that I will have a proper networking setup, I'm thinking of putting it to good use with security cameras for the house.

    I'm looking for the following:

    • Security cameras, preferably POE-wired (so that they work reliably - no need to change batteries, no worrying about wifi signal strength - I have thick concrete walls), with good day/night vision and sturdy build (I don't want some cheap crap that will break down in 6 months). I plan on putting a couple of cameras outdoor, so they should be able to withstand the weather.
      • If they can project light and sound an alarm, even better
    • Recording to a centralized location
    • Intelligent management of the cameras (alerts without too many fault positives, tracking, ...)
    • Ideally, want to avoid vendor lock-in
    • If pure software solution for camera management, I would strongly prefer something that can run on Linux, as I already have a beefy Ubuntu server with tons of storage, and do not plan on spinning up a physical / virtual Windows environment (with the space and power requirements, plus the extra maintenance headache) unless absolutely necessary.
    • Would strongly prefer that said camera management allowed access from outside the home network, e.g. through an app or a web UI.
    • Looking for a roughly <= $1000 setup for the initial setup with a couple of cameras.
    • Setup will probably consist of 2-3 outdoor cameras to start with, and I may add more indoor or outdoor cameras later
    • I may be able to find 1U of space in my network cabinet, but that's about it.

    Now, I do not know much about setting up a home security system, and in particular I don't know what I don't know. I've heard about a few things: ONVIF, Blue Iris vs hardware NVRs, RTSP, ... but I still feel a bit lost.

    Questions in no particular order:

    • What should I start looking at, given my situation?
    • I see that several recommended cameras (when browsing around the web) are of the wire-free type. Is that a new trend to not run POE cables to cameras?
    • How do security cameras mesh with traditional security systems, that include an alarm, detectors when opening doors / windows, etc? Are they a replacement? A complement?
    • I see that some cameras advertise tracking capabilities, two-way talk, etc. Does that generally only work with their specialized hardware / software? Or is that part of ONVIF or other open-source specs, so that you can mix and match hardware if necessary?
    • Should I go with a hardware NVR, or software? Is there even some good software for running on Linux?
    • Practical detail, but how do you run the POE cable to an outdoor IP camera? In my case, it would go into an electric sheath, so I normally would be running an outdoor-rated, POE-capable, monostrand cat6a cable, but how do you run that all the way to the camera? Can you easily terminate the cable with a female connector, and then stash a multistrand cable that you stash in the base of the camera?
    submitted by /u/FlorentR
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone know how i can get a Mossberg Shockwave?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 04:31 PM PDT

    Seems like everyone's sold out

    submitted by /u/johnsmit1214
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment